Garbanzo 03-Oct-15
notme 03-Oct-15
deerman406 03-Oct-15
Garbanzo 03-Oct-15
spike78 04-Oct-15
02-Oct-15

Garbanzo's embedded Photo
I have a bit of a dilemma.. When I went to put my stand in the weekend before season started, I planned on putting up a second game camera in a new area about 350 yards away from my current stand site. On the way in I twisted my knee, so I decided to just put the stand up for now. However, on my way out, I figured why not put the second cam up in the area I was already in. So I set it up about 40 to 50 yards away from my stand in a bit of a gully. Yesterday I replaced the cards in both my cameras.. When I checked the cards, I got deer on both cameras, but generally not the same dates and times and I have more deer and a few bucks on the second camera.. Soooooo, do I move my stand to where my second camera was? Do I place a second stand there even though it is only 40 to 50 yards away, or do I just sit tight where I am.

02-Oct-15
40-50 yards don't make a lot of difference unless there is a well established trail by the new camera. If there is a good trail, move just 25 yards and you still have a 20-25 yard shot on either side(current stand-new cam site). Once the pre-rut starts they go everywhere so you can easily close the gap with a little buck bomb.

With that said, when hunting large tracks of woods, I relocate my stands once or twice to adjust for deer traffic in the early/summer pattern. Later on I stay put and let them come to me.

$0.02

02-Oct-15
Add a new stand. Use the wind correctly for sits

02-Oct-15

It is a bit thick between the two spots and the 2nd cam was placed in a gully that is about 5 feet lower than my other stand site, So I don't think I could move that one and still cover both areas with clear shooting lanes unless I did a lot of cutting. I have another stand I can put in so I think I might do that. I can then move that 2nd camera to the new area I want to investigate and if it pans out, my stand will be halfway there already. Attached pic is from the cam near my first stand.

02-Oct-15
if its on the same trail stay put .

02-Oct-15
I'd stay put..50yrds isn't so bad..see what it looks like after the leaves drop then decide..

02-Oct-15

I guess I can't go wrong either way... On the 2nd cam I saw a total of 16 deer on 8 separate days between 9/13 and 9/29. On my original cam I saw a total of 13 deer on 7 separate days over the same period. Apparently this 3 pointer is not camera shy.

02-Oct-15

Yeah it is the same place. Less than 10 minutes from the house so it is hard to beat that. It does get a good amount of pressure though. As far as the cameras go I have nothing to compare them too. I'm on a fairly tight hunting budget so when I saw the first camera on sale at Dick's last year for $40, I picked one up and same thing again this year for cam number two. I don't leave them out all year so I can't give a true indication of battery life.. Cam 1 used 4 C cell and cam 2 uses 4 AA cell. Cam one has been in since the middle of August, but still using the same batteries from last year, I believe I had that one in from Sept 15 to Nov 15 last year. I pulled cam 2 out last night so I could relocate it and it had taken 55 pics between 9-12 and 10-1 and still shows full battery. Only criticism is that Early morning and early evening the cam sometimes does normal exposure and sometimes does night exposure. So you can get a bit washed out or a bit too dark. Beyond that for $40 per cam I can't complain. Attached is a nightshot sample.

02-Oct-15

Another night shot

02-Oct-15
Maybe you just need some help ?? LOL

02-Oct-15
Ed.. Since I hunt public land exclusively, none of my equipment is high end. The stand is locked and the cable is wrapped around the climbing stick, but if someone is intent on stealing it they will find a way. Working on some thin cables for the cameras now.. Might not stop everyone but every bit of deterrence helps. I don't hear the deer either.. Even if they made noise the traffic sound drowns it out. Good luck to you too.

02-Oct-15

CTCrow's embedded Photo
CTCrow's embedded Photo

CTCrow's Link
You can se it up to beep(not recommended unless placed really far) or light up.

I have one and rarely use it but it works to cover your 6.

02-Oct-15

Here is what I came up with. It should deter a few.

02-Oct-15

Garbanzo's Link
Ed.. Dick's has game cams on sale again.

02-Oct-15
That's the same one I've had for a couple of yrs now..a little finicky in the cold weather at times,out all year..picked up a cheap tasco from WalMart..so far its pretty good..worth the $50.

03-Oct-15
Notme, my 2 walmart tascos are now on 3 seasons i think and still working. Ive had more expensive cams not live that long. Im looking to get another.

03-Oct-15
Ed that model I I showed takes 8 AA

03-Oct-15
I've had both tasco and wildgame like the one picture out since June..changed the batteries in the wild game once already ..both on 7-10 seconds..the tasco gets double the action so I don't know why wild game are not lasting longer,but it is 2 yrs old vs 6 months..both I think are 6aa batteries

03-Oct-15
Add a new stand. I maintain over 70 stand sites and I could not disagree more with the fact 40-50 yards does not make a difference. It makes all the difference in the world, a lot of times it allows you to hunt the area when you could not because of the wind. I have an area we call the Golden Triangle. It is 3 stands and they are all within sight of each other, about 50 yards apart and they form a triangle. I can sit that funnel with almost any wind that way and over the years I have killed an awful lot of deer from those 3 stands, so I say just add another stand and go kill some deer. Shawn

03-Oct-15
Thanks Sean.. That is the plan for now.

Ed its not a dog leash.. it is made from plastic coated clothesline wire.

04-Oct-15
SWK AA batterys and the life is great. Minimum 6 months. I put mine out in july and still going strong.

• Sitka Gear