happygolucky 22-Oct-15
ELK ELSEWHERE 22-Oct-15
10BUCKS 22-Oct-15
NWO 22-Oct-15
smokey 22-Oct-15
BillB 22-Oct-15
02-Oct-15

Naz 's Link
Opening day in Michigan Oct. 1, sad end to one hunter's life after apparently shooting a deer.

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE Oct. 1, 2015

Ohio man dies after falling from tree stand in Huron County

The Michigan Department of Natural Resources said a 45-year-old Ohio man died after falling from his tree stand this morning in Huron County. The name of the man is being withheld, pending notification of family members.

Today is the opening day of archery deer hunting season.

At about 10 a.m. a DNR conservation officer arrived at the Verona State Game Area, responding to a call made by the victim’s hunting partner.

The officer and personnel responding from Central Huron Ambulance in Bad Axe performed CPR. The man was pronounced dead at the scene.

Preliminary investigation revealed the victim had shot a deer and had unfastened his safety harness to climb down from his tree stand. He was found lying next to a tree.

The complete circumstances surrounding the fall are still being determined. The cause of death is pending conclusive determination by the Huron County medical examiner.

The roughly 7,700-acre Verona State Game Area is located about 6 miles east of Bad Axe.

02-Oct-15
I'll never understand why people won't use safety harnesses and safety ropes. This sad story could have been avoided. I had 2 friends fall last year and one is still recovering today and will never be able to bowhunt today.

02-Oct-15
sad, be careful out there.

03-Oct-15
I'm guilty. I never ever use a harness. I know it's dumb, and have no "valid" excuses.

I'm sorry for everyone's loss.

03-Oct-15
Pete, I too am guilty. I work all summer on roofs and ladders as well and don't wear a harness. No good reason for not wearing one either as I have four sitting in my garage. I always tell myself this will be the year I start wearing one and the end of the year comes and they've still never left their spot on the shelf.

03-Oct-15
Let me ask you Crusader. I have good balance as well. Work at heights no problem, can walk on 2 inch beam like nothing. Do you feel like you're off balance when wearing a harness? I actually feel more herky-jerky when wearing one, as if it is in my way. I value my family enough to want to be safe, but I tried wearing one for a couple weeks (yes, a good one), and I honestly felt like I was going to fall while having the damn thing on. And yes, I have several sitting in a box. They are nice for dragging out deer though.

Now I obviously know this is no excuse for safety, but I do only hunt from ladder stands because I am a big dude. I can imagine that the family of this individual (and all other victim's family) would say wear the damn thing, especially after the loss? No second chances I know!

03-Oct-15
Always so horrible to hear about. I'm also guilty, but have been pushing my dad to use one as he is in his 60's and not the tree climber he used to be. My girlfriends dad is paralyzed from the waist down after falling out hunting years ago. Also have a friend that fell out after shooting a deer and he landed on top of an arrow out of his bow. I shit you not the arrow snapped in half and went through his nut sack. Hes very lucky, everything still works from what he says. All be safe hunting

03-Oct-15
Pete, I agree they feel goofy and are cumbersome. I would rather not wear one. With that being said, I did just take one out of the garage and try it on. I still don't like how it feels but I am going to make an effort to wear it this season.

21-Oct-15
This is sad and my prayers to the hunter, his family and hunting partners left behind. Great lesson for the younger hunters out there feeling invincible.

Safety first

22-Oct-15
So sad -

We have an area hunter that fell two years ago and is really messed up. His wife has not left his side and she takes care of him everyday - life changes in a second...

Be safe!

22-Oct-15
I don't wear one, I have one, but it does not fit. I do put a strap across the arm rests so I can't fall out.

22-Oct-15
Konk +1

I have been wearing a harness for six years now. My wife also wears one. I won mine in a archery raffle. I thought if anything ever happened to me while hunting without it, I would look like a fool (or worse). We have both killed deer wearing them, and they are easy to get used to. We both use the HSS Ultra Lite harness. Anyone that does not want to use one for any reason, are just kidding them selves. Be safe out there guys and gals. We love this sport to much to take chances.

22-Oct-15
I hate my harness, but I wear it for my kids.

22-Oct-15
Konk +1.

I wear mine because I like feeling safe. My son has no choice until he turns 18. No harness, no hunt. I hope he still wears his when he is 18. I will continue to remind him of those who did not who wish they had a do-over.

Yes, they are cumbersome, but the newer models are becoming more and more reduced in size and sleek. They will continue to evolve like everything else.

22-Oct-15
I don't understand the guys that don't wear them. I'm connected from the time I leave the ground until I return. A harness has never cost me a shot at a deer. There are many options out there so if one feels uncomfortable try something else.

There are those that have fallen and those that will fall. Just that simple.

22-Oct-15
I pushed the harness envelope for 20+ years. There were times I slept in my stand more than I was awake. When I had kids that changed, and now it scares the $hit out of me to be in a tree without one.

22-Oct-15
I too never wore a harness before, last season my cousin fell from his tree due to mechanical failure. His strap broke on his stand and stand fell from the tree. He was lucky to avoid major injury, but i now wear a harness.

22-Oct-15
They do take some getting used to. But after a little while, I didn't even notice it anymore. It is just part of ritual: harness on, binoculars on, coat on, pull harness strap out of back of coat, walk to stand...

I absolutely will not use a strap-on stand without one, especially if the tree is wide open. There are too many easy ways to wind up on the ground.

I can see less need in a ladder stand but I still always wear one.

Here's one question for the non-wearers: how are your stands? Do you replace them every year? It is not a question of "if". It is a fact that sooner or later a bolt will rust out or the stand will have some mechanical failure. They simply can not work forever. I don't want to be eating through a straw for the rest of my life because of that bolt...

22-Oct-15

happygolucky's Link
Here's a current thread from the Big Game Forums on rock climbing harnesses versus the standard hunting ones. Maybe an option for those who don't like the standard hunting harnesses.

22-Oct-15
I have been wearing a rock climbing harness for 2 years now, best thing ever. Wore a SOP harness for years but tether does get in the way but rock climbing harness is so much better in about every way I will never go back.

22-Oct-15
Guilty of not wearing them. I have all ladders with huge platforms. I know that I should still wear one.

22-Oct-15
Its all fun and games until you get hurt. Please wear a safety harness.

22-Oct-15
I wore safety belts many years ago then switched to harness. I also now use a lifeline on every stand. Never unattached. If using a climber I would still always be attached. Be smart, be alive.

22-Oct-15
My son was in a climber and I was standing below him as he started to climb down. His feet slipped out of the lower section and it fell - he was wearing a harness so he just dangled there until I could get him down. I always wear my harness and my kids have never known any different. I also have lifelines for my hangon stands.

• Sitka Gear