happygolucky 26-Oct-15
Crusader dad 26-Oct-15
Nocturnal8 26-Oct-15
FiveRs 26-Oct-15
Naz 26-Oct-15
BIGFKNJAY 27-Oct-15
Naz 27-Oct-15
02-Oct-15
It seems certain people have twisted one sentence in a paragraph I wrote about deer hunting in low populated areas. My solution was to let deer walk and not shoot the first deer you see. To let the population grow. Some seen it as I was pushing hunters into trophy hunting because I used the word quality. There are 100's of ideas to go out there. So if your passionate with this topic. Please voice your opinions. What can we do? So our next generation can grow to love it as much as us.

02-Oct-15
Our group bought 9 does tags in Lincoln cty and burned them at last weeks packer game .

Keep sending those DNR people e-mails . every month .

02-Oct-15
Some areas will never have good deer populations simply due to the type of habitat, with predators, winters and hunting pressure also factors.

If you're speaking of parts of the north where hunters, predators and winters have hit hard, the answer is low to no antlerless hunting, increased predator tags, mild winters and habitat improvement.

Farm country, there are no shortage of whitetails anywhere I've traveled (south, central and east).

02-Oct-15
Ruger that is awesome. I was at the packer game Monday night! Naz you named the three factors. So? For this year wolf hunting is out of the question. We know that that is a major impact. But what would you, or anyone advise we do as a hunter? Does anyone think it is time to think about the future? And start being selective? At least for as long as it takes?

02-Oct-15
Each scenario is different, the DNR isn't going to change because they have to manage such broad areas that vary from over population to very low population within same units. The population needs to be controlled locally, and that can even vary from one owner to another, they will more than likely have different views on what the population really should be. With that being said, a population as high as "As Seen On TV" isn't realistic or healthy, the population needs to be controlled. If you are seeing enough deer to justify the killing of a few does, kill a few does, if you aren't seeing enough deer, pass on the does. If you're seeing a fair amount of deer and your neighbor isn't, maybe your neighbor needs to scout a little better or watch their scent better, you can't control what your neighbor does....so you can only base your decisions on your own encounters.

If you seem to keep seeing the same old doe and a fawn or two, she might be a matriarchal doe that won't let another family group on your property, she would need to be shot to help your population out in the near future.

If you need to kill an antlerless deer and you think your population is too low, try to pick out the buck fawns. They will be miles away from your property by next fall and will have no effect on your local herd....dead or alive.

If your goal is to increase your local herd, it would probably be best to either not hunt your property at all or shoot the first legal deer that comes by and stay off your property the rest of the season so the deer that do come on your property from other pressure feel safe there. Shooting a small/young buck compared to letting them walk and waiting for a big/mature buck will make no difference on your local herd. But you hunting that same property, in search of that big/mature buck, will add pressure and presence to you property, in turn forcing some deer out and not allowing newer deer to feel safe on your property. Saving one buck over another buck will have zero effect on your local herd, adult does are the only ones that will give you more deer and they will find a buck somewhere to get that process started. Bucks don't make more deer, they will travel miles and miles to get the process started and go back to where ever they came from, while your does will stay put to complete the process.

Sorry for going so long, I'm sure a lot on here will disagree, it is just looking at things a different way.

BTW, buying tags and burning them could do more harm than good in the long run, since the success rates will be used in future issuances of tags. Now there are 9 for sure that will be unsuccessful, so if they look at the same overall quota in the future the success rate will be lower and the number of permits will be increased. I know 9 doesn't make a difference out of 1,000 permits, but what if 25% or more of those that purchased permits did the same thing? It could end up having a negative affect in the future. There are areas in Lincoln County that can't handle any antlerless harvest and areas that could use a significant antlerless harvest.

Again, sorry for the length of the post.

02-Oct-15
Pretty simple if you ask me - let more does walk.

Taking bucks does not affect the DPSM ratio nearly what taking does will. The DNR gets that and that is why there are no antlerless tags up north and even in the UP, there are only 3 DMUs where antlerless deer can be taken. When EAB went bye-bye, the populations in the CWD areas increased, at least where I hunted in Columbia County. Too many people bought into the slaughter the DNR initiated circa 2000 and we are still paying for that today in some areas.

02-Oct-15
Very nice fivers. Good read for sure. And I don't disagree with it. Everyone has their own perception to managing. A balanced herd makes for great hunting. And your right let the doe's go. And happy I'm gonna have to go against my will and agree with you also! Haha! I guess we do agree on some things! ??

02-Oct-15
Tony, you sound like a Govt employee. :-)

Good post but your supporting a DNR that doesn't have a clue. Hunting or fishing everyone needs to be fired and start over As Trump says, most govt workers are Lemmings more concerned about the job security and benefits then doing what right.

02-Oct-15
If concerned about doe harvest in the north through group bagging during the youth hunt, contact representative Mary Czaja and ask her why she is against a current bill that was introduced to rectify this.

02-Oct-15
" my solution is to let the deer walk and not shoot the first deer you see "

That does not help the population unless you let all the deer you see walk. Letting the first deer walk only to shoot the sixth deer accomplishes nothing. Only unfilled tags have a hope of altering the population.

Letting the does walk as Happy suggests is the most logical answer. Stop shooting does until populations rebound.

02-Oct-15
Sawtooth it's not hard to understand my logic. Brown is down needs to go. I should have been more specific. I have a long list I could mention. But I'd rather here what everyone else has to say.

02-Oct-15
Brown is down means nothing unless too many does are shot. Shooting a button buck, spike or any lesser buck is statistically better for herd health than shooting a 2.5 year old beautiful eight pointer. No rancher culls his good looking bulls. No deer farm( as much as I hate them) protects the potentially inferior, in favor of killing the proven large rack breeders.

02-Oct-15
You burn't you doe tags after buying them? Congradualations you wasted your money for no real purpose. The number of permits is given out as a % of the tags filled. If they want 500 does killed and there is a 50% success rate they issue 1000 tags. Your group shows 9 tags bought that didn't get filled so when they do the quotas for next year they will just give out more, if your group doesn't do it again it will result in MORE does being shot next year.

The DNR manages the deer and really no matter what we do is going to change the numbers. Maybe in a small area but say if no one shots any does in a 1000 acre parcel and the guys all around them shoot every doe the does are going to migrate off the 1000 acres and start inhabiting the surounding areas.

02-Oct-15
Ruger-

I'm not supporting the DNR, I just know how they are required, by politicians, to manage the game of the State. As much as people think, the DNR really doesn't have a whole lot of say on things. The are told what the end goal has to be and are required to use the tools given to them, by those requiring said goal, to reach that goal. For deer the goal isn't a per "40" goal or a "square mile" goal or a private/public goal or even a County goal.....it is a Statewide goal. A Statewide goal working County by County with or without the support from hunters. Their hands are tied more than the hunter's are.

02-Oct-15
Zinger your second paragraph I find to be false. Deer live in an area for a reason. They don't leave to a different area because that place has no deer. Yes deer venture. But if they have everything there than there is no need to leave. That is how guys are consistent with small acreage.

02-Oct-15
Doesn't matter how many tags are issued. We have a healthy herd but set a quota for our land and stick to it to maintain that herd. If there's very few deer in your area you simply do not shoot does.

02-Oct-15
I get a kick out of it when people say "if you are not seeing ENOUGH DEER, lay off the does".

Can someone please tell me the definition of "enough" in Ashland and Waupaca counties?

Too many people believe normal is what we had in the late 90's and will accept nothing but a return to those days.

I have a friend who sees 10-20 deer per sit and does nothing but complain about how the DNR screwed up hunting......he used to see 30-50!!!!

I know people who throw out a corn pile 2 weeks before the season, sit it for about 10 hours......and head for home on Monday morning wailing about that damn DNR when they don't see anything.

My point?

You can't do a darn thing about the population on either a micro or macro level. Recalibrate your expectations.. Hunt often and hard. Take a kid or a non-hunting friend under your wing. Eat more venison.

02-Oct-15
I agree with FiveRs and even a couple of others. We have had deer and DNR for many years. A couple of bad winters, high predation and it is low. Has happened before will happen again. Yes, the DNR gets it. Sometimes there have been some over done and corrections now made. Will see what the future holds.

A friend of mine last week told me the field he was hunting a few counties south of here had 50 deer on it when he was hunting it this fall. "How many could you have shot" I asked. You see, around here we can see the same acreage as that field. I am sure there aren't 50 deer in the same size area here but a lot of times there are deer hunters never see.

For sure the herd is down a lot here, the lack of sign shows it but it is better than it was the last two years. In the later '70s it was lot like it is now and it built after that for a long time. With the logging going on now I am seeking healthier looking deer. With some mild winters and no doe tags a couple years and it will be fine here.

02-Oct-15
Valid points tracker! I'm not sure what others expect. But no matter what some counties are extremely low. Hearing reports of guys in the north walking for miles to find a set of tracks. I agree with you too smokey. The population is higher and healthier than the last couple years. At least where my cabin is.

02-Oct-15
Have you ever bow hunted a piece of ground (public or private) that doesn’t get gun hunted . This lends itself to an exceptional experience. A better hunting experience always means seeing more game , period. Getting rid of what takes the most deer is the best way . Now that we have the cross bow we don’t need the gun season at all . I know It’s a radical Idea , can you imagine what the bow hunt would be like ? No gun hunting along with improved habitat .

02-Oct-15
"Brown is down means nothing unless too many does are shot. Shooting a button buck, spike or any lesser buck is statistically better for herd health than shooting a 2.5 year old beautiful eight pointer. No rancher culls his good looking bulls. No deer farm( as much as I hate them) protects the potentially inferior, in favor of killing the proven large rack breeders. "

+1 on that sawtooth. I said the same thing in the Personal Buck thread.

02-Oct-15
Hmm happygolucky I don't ever remember you saying that. And brown is down statement Means a whole lot in areas with low population. This is what this thread is about.?

02-Oct-15
Being not too efficient at killing = More deer to see and enjoy . Someone once told me that deer look better alive than dead . After I thought about that I had to agree. If you hunt well-armed and you are good at killing , than you need to purposely let more deer walk , catch and release . OR choose a hunting style and weapon that naturally limits how efficient you are at killing .

02-Oct-15
I have hunted Ashland, Sawyer, and Price county public land my whole life.....bow, rifle and ML(since day 1). Take what I'm about to say to the bank, Nocturnal.

Most of the hunters who complain the loudest about deer hunting in the north woods.......are simply not good hunters! They are mostly weekend wonder boys sitting on their bait piles within 200 yards of the road. Or sitting on the same stump on the same over mature 80 acres they've sat on for 40 years. Quite a few road hunters complain a lot too, in my experience.

02-Oct-15
Good points by all. A nice clean argument. You gotta love bowhunters. WW3 is about to start and we are all fired up about " our " Deer . :-)

02-Oct-15
"Hmm happygolucky I don't ever remember you saying that."

I don't want to derail your thread. I simply agreed with sawtooth. But, for the record, since you are calling me on it, while not in the exact words, but in the same meaning, here is what I said in that thread in 2 different quotes:

"Why not let the big ones walk to help the herd structure and shoot the little ones because they taste better?"

"If people really were worried about the herd structure, they'd let the big ones walk and shoot the younger ones. "

02-Oct-15
Exactly Happy, your last two statements cannot be disputed.

02-Oct-15
"if people really were worried about the beard structure, they'd let the big ones walk and only shoot the younger ones"

Says happy and his sidekick sawtooth. You obviously no nothing about a healthy herd. Or qdm for the matter. "Exactly happy, your last two statements cannot be disputed." You really agree with that non sense. Apparently you two need to jump on different websites and read about deer.

02-Oct-15
Sorry Noc, I have a doctorate degree. I do not rely on the internet for "facts".

02-Oct-15
Lol so you have a doctorate in what?

02-Oct-15
Go back to your internet. Learn about deer and animal breeding, then talk to me about genetics, genetic traits, phenotypes, genotypes, and mammalian genetics in particular.

02-Oct-15
well apparently the way you've agreed with his last comment. I wouldn't be the one who would have to go back to the Internet to learn about deer now would I? I am aware of deer and animal breeding. So you tell us all why shooting younger deer and letting the older ones go to be better for herd structure.

02-Oct-15
Don't confuse it with Mendelian genetics.

02-Oct-15
I get way too many hunting magazines but one common point is the deer population really peaked then dipped in many states not just northern WI. We know that MN is just screwed up being a wolf incubator but why did states like Iowa feel this too?

02-Oct-15
Maybe EHD? WausauDug. Some guys on here have hunted Iowa. Wonder if they will have a theory? But I do know that previous years the late spring and summer were very dry. And EHD wiped out 80 percent of the herd some years back. But that was Missouri I read about. Not Iowa. Mother Nature sure does have her way with all the species. Like grouse, it seems they peak out and decline. It's like a 5 year span. And then a repeat.

03-Oct-15
There are plenty of deer all over the state. Hunt smart, shoot what is a trophy to you. Hunt smart and you will have an opportunity. If everyone only shoots young bucks, that will skew the structure. If everyone takes a mature doe. That will skew the structure. If everyone only shoots four year old or better bucks, that is not good for the herd either. If you want to see a lot of deer on every sit, hunt farm country. If you want to challenge yourself and see fewer deer but possibly have shot at a deer no one has seen before then hunt the big woods. Wisconsin is an incredibly diverse state with GREAT hunting from north to south and east to west. I am fortunate enough to hunt west central where we can sustain a larger population, I am not a meat hunter and therefore I can be more selective. But in the end, ANY DEER SHOT WITH A COMPOUND OR RECURVE IS A TROPHY. My point is, the deer are out there, from neighborhoods to the north woods. Hunt smart and you will see deer. Wisconsin is consistently at the top end of the record books so we must be doing something right. If your not happy with the amount of deer sightings you have while in the woods.... Find a different spot. I consistently see 7-11 deer per sit, but if I covered my fields with trees, I might only see one or two. It doesn't mean they are not there, it just means I can't see them. So to end, hunt how you want where you hunt. Shoot what you want where you hunt. As long as it's legal and you are proud of your harvest, be it a button buck or a giant, a doe fawn or a mature doe pregnant with triplets. I am all for making the entire state a qdm state but until that happens, stop complaining, get out and hunt. Trophies are like women. The beauty is in the eye of the beholder, so post pics of what you take and be proud of it!

03-Oct-15
"You obviously no nothing about a healthy herd. Or qdm for the matter"

Properly put, that would be you "know" nothing. Someone (2 people in this case) disagrees with you, and automatically, they know nothing? For the record, I am a QDMA member, but you should know that QDMA is FAR more than shooting old bucks. But, that's a different topic.

You are an advocate of an older age structure herd. That is great! I'll try this with simple math.

Let's say we have 5 deer, ages 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5. The average age of the herd is 3 years old. Not we take the 5 year old out of the herd. What happens to the average age? That is correct it drops from 3 to 2.5. Let's put back the 5 year old and take out the 1 year old. The average now becomes 3.5. Clearly, shooting the younger year helped the age structure.

Also, the youngest deer are the ones most susceptible to not making it through the upcoming winter, so why not harvest them first?

So, I conclude that if people REALLY worried about a herd's age structure, they'd let the older deer walk and shoot younger ones. Now we know that will never happen in reality and it really is a misnomer because all that herd structure talk is really just rhetoric by people not wanting others to shoot what they consider to be "inferior" deer. Nature will take care of itself. It always does.

03-Oct-15
Crusader, +1, great post.

03-Oct-15
To me it's about respecting the animal and not shooting them when they are small little fawns. I believe only shooting the mature deer is overall the best for our herd. It's like harvesting 100 yr old oaks and leaving the younger ones to grow. It's about long term and the future.

03-Oct-15
Right on crusader!! Happygolucky, you and I obviously got off on the wrong foot. And no disrespect. But your logic with killing only young deer is as good as killing older deer. I could explain it in a different way. And it would make the same sense to shoot the older deer. Either way this thread was about low populated areas. I only had intentions of starting up this thread to hear the opinions of others. And when I say low populated areas. You say brown is down means nothing if to many doe's are shot. Well yes I agree. But... We are talking low deer numbers. So why say that? I'd personally rather not debate with you. Because every situation can be explained differently to put the other in the wrong. Let's stick to the topic.

03-Oct-15
Nocturnal, I only explained myself because A) you called me on my posts from the Personal Buck thread and B) you told sawtooth and I that we know nothing. No disrespect? Did you not expect a comment after that? Maybe I know nothing but sawtooth has been hunting with trad gear since you were pooping green and he's a true ambassador for what bowhunting is supposed to be. To boot, he is one of the most knowledgeable people on this site. You truly disrespected him rendering his own opinion.

And for the record, I don't believe in only shooting young deer. I told you before I opt to strive for mature deer. I just believe that those people who preach herd structure are spewing rhetoric and really just want people to pass on what they consider to be inferior deer. I feel it is up to the individual in what they can shoot. I made a very valid argument for shooting young deer for those who spew the rhetoric only. Nature takes care of itself.

"You say brown is down means nothing if to many doe's are shot. Well yes I agree. But... We are talking low deer numbers. So why say that?"

I did not say that. Sawtooth did. I simply agreed with him. His comment is accurate IMHO.

I already commented on what I feel is needed - let does walk, shoot bucks for meat. You actually agreed with it.

05-Oct-15
Something really changed in Clark and Eau Claire county's this year, lots of deer movement in the woods. I've seen deer every time out on public land so far. Kind of like last gun season in Sawyer county last season, no hunters around and saw more deer than I've seen in many years.

05-Oct-15
Live 2 hunt, I think the fact that all the corn was standing during gun season last year has made a huge difference. My father in law has lived in that area on the same farm his entire life and says he is seeing more deer and bigger bucks than he has ever seen. The public land deer can use the cornfields for cover when the gun hunters head out to the woods.

05-Oct-15
I hunt in the middle of the forest up there, no cornfields for many miles.

05-Oct-15
I hunt a farm in the southern part of Clark county and this year we have more shooter bucks than the previous years. Last years mild winter definitely helped the deer. It's been great hunting so far.

05-Oct-15
For years we got spoiled by an over-sustainable whitetail population in our state. We got addicted to seeing multiple deer every hunt.

Then the long forecasted population crash came, and our addiction stayed.

Blame the DNR, the weather, the wolves, the bears, the private land owners, the non-forested public lands, the gun hunters, the crossbows, the city folks buying up farmland for condos, or whatever else makes you feel vindicated, but the fact is, the population has come down from it's crazy peak, and we should not expect to see it again.

Believe it or not, we humans have yet to harness the power to control everything, including mother nature.

It's hunting after all, not "I walk in woods and kill deer".

21-Oct-15
After a few tough years with EAB I became more observer than hunter. You and others may have to eat a tag or two for a year or two but it will recover.

Hang in there and don't get disappointed. Hunting is very much an attitude game. Get worried and you will not see a thing and probably because you are moving too much trying.

21-Oct-15
1) change the feds vision of walden woods and fire up the loggers north of hwy 29. No doe counties need to be no doe for youth, military and end gun party tags. Elect conservative judges who wont stop a wolf harvest.

22-Oct-15
I hunt in Sawyer and Washburn counties. This is my un educated opinion. Just going off of what I have watched and heard. But I know that on my property, we are seeing a significant drop in the population. Bad winter two years ago was a major factor as well as wolves and coyotes. But last season for gun, the numbers over all where down and the number of nice bucks were up. So basically what you are repopulating with is the survival of the fittest. Take it for what its worth to you. Its my opinion, I have no degrees or schooling on the subject just what an old grunt deducts from scouting and talking with the neighbors.

I have chosen to shoot wall hangers or nothing up there until I feel the heard is back to a sustainable number. When I hunt around green Bay and High populated areas I will do my meat hunting.

22-Oct-15
I have a thought that came to me when replying on a thread elsewhere. Trout Unlimited WI. has been doing a lot of restoration work on streams in the northern 1/3 of the state. TU working with Wildlife services to trap the beaver and blow dams have all but decimated beaver populations.

Beaver is a preferred food source of the wolf. Bear have a fancy for it also. Could all the work by TU in disturbing natural ecosystems and influencing beaver populations be responsible for increased predation on deer by the wolves and bear?

Just a thought.

22-Oct-15
Low Population.. What can we do?? STOP SHOOTING Deer..wahhhlaaaa. . More deer..I have not shot a deer for 4 years.. it's not that tough

22-Oct-15
"No doe counties need to be no doe for youth, military and end gun party tags."

But if we don't allow kids to shoot any deer they want whenever they want if they have tags, we won't have hunter recruitment and they'll simply play video games the rest of their lives. That is what I read in the Youth Hunt threads anyway.

22-Oct-15
If you go and look at the lack of logging that has happened in the National Forests in the past 20 years, you will see exactly what needs to happen and that there are logging bids out and planned for the next couple of years.

In 2015 bids were granted for 40 logging jobs, totaling over 12,000 acres of National Forest, some clear cuts, some select cuts and some salvage. There are 4 bids scheduled to be granted yet in 2015. So far only on project did not receive a bid.

In 2014 there were 32 logging jobs that were bid out for just under 9900 acres.

Not to mention County and State logging jobs in the north.

So the process has started and hopefully it will continue and improve the habitat on the northwoods for all the critters.

It will take time to rebuild the herd numbers and the food supply on this acreage should help the herd make it through the winter months.

As far as hunter recruitment, that has to start at home. I didn't shoot a deer until I was 18 and hunted all 6 years previous to that and tagged along with Dad, my Uncles and Grand Dad.

They have to learn that a harvest is the icing on the cake. The hunt just isn't about killing animals, that's only a small portion of being in the woods hunting and that starts at home. Enough of this "We are all winners attitude." It's time to go out and earn something, even at the young age of 10 or 12.

Every day of your life there are winners and there are losers. Nothing good ever comes without hard work and dedication.

It doesn't need to be easy, it needs to be enjoyable and educational.

22-Oct-15
My two cents....

In the "glory" days when anyone could walk 200 yards from their pickup truck and consistently see deer in abundance there were LESS hunting opportunities available.

We had two options 1) Traditional Bow Hunt with no crossbows other than age 65+ hunters and disabled hunter w/a permit and (w/out Metro Unit extended seasons) 2) Traditional 9 Day Gun Hunt

There was NO separate 7 day muzzleloader season and doe tags were only "good" for the 9 day gun hunt. If you purchased a bow license after opening day you had to wait 3 days to hunt and if you didn't purchase a gun license before the opener you were SOL.

Since that time.... Addition of 7 day Muzzleloader season (not a big deal IMHO)

Creation of T-zones and "early season" 4-day doe hunt December T-zone doe hunts (Huge deal IMHO)

$2 Bonus Tags and Free Doe tags in high pop areas

"Earn a Buck" and "CWD"

Consistent yearly increases in doe tag permits available so the state could advertise record harvest numbers(Big Deal)

Here an "ag tag" there an "ag tag" everywhere an "ag tag"

Holiday hunts and extended gun seasons in Metro Units

Youth Hunts and youth hunters allowed to shoot does (statewide)until age 17 (Big issue for Northern counties)

Addition of Crossbows to anyone during Archery Season (HUGE deal!!)

And on and on and on.....

Why? The state continues to sell a record number of licenses each year and make a record amount of COIN!!

If WE (the deer hunting community) want deer numbers to increase especially in low population areas, WE need to do the following: 1) Shoot less does STATEWIDE...but especially up North 2) Shoot more predators...wolves get all the PR but coyotes are just as bad and there's way more of them

3) Show some restraint and shoot less deer for a couple years

Unfortunately, it won't happen b/c of the "me" first society prevalent today. "I" shot "my" deer so "I" really don't care if (someone else) didn't fill their tag or see deer. It doesn't affect "me."

Simple math....2.2 million deer and 475,000 hunters made for good odds back in the day

Now we have 1/2 the deer, more tags and more seasons

22-Oct-15
Zonks +1

22-Oct-15
Well stated Zonks.

23-Oct-15
I can tell you, that in the north, they can not mark trees fast enough. I have seen, both the state and fed trucks, and personnel working together this fall......

foresters told me, they have lots of cuts scheduled, and a lot of other jobs are being bidded out, and in some areas, it will be select logging, which will be done by the state workers, along with some fed workers......

this new management coop, is going to take some time, but we are headed in the right direction, so that is a problem solved.....

the local feds know what needs to be done. your problem is your congressmen, taking their money,,,,,

I am no wolf lover but the predator that ruined the deer herd in the north was human, and it continues with doe killing//////

I think no does should be shot for at least 3 more years and everyone can learn some conservation....

lot of other areas in the state to go shoot does.....

this state also needs a beefed up warden force. In the western UP, they have more wardens assigned than Wisconsin does in most of the entire north....

my local warden is so stretched its a joke, and top his mileage restriction, because Madison is too cheap on gas etc, believe me, he appreciates that most hunters are honest, but knows the poachers are getting a good break, these days......

23-Oct-15
Razorhead +1

23-Oct-15
Zonks agree with most of your post but the simple math part — 2.2 million deer/475K hunters — lost me. The last time we had that few hunters was more than 50 years ago, and the deer harvest didn't even hit 100K — or more than 3x less than we've shot 22 years straight (300K or more).

Estimated deer population the year I was born ('62) was 400K statewide. It wasn't until the mid-80s that it was estimated to be at or above the million mark. Top deer population estimates were in the mid-90s and again around '99-2000, in the 1.5-1.8 million range. (IMO estimates of 1.5-1.7 a couple times later in the "00s" likely skewed by EAB).

Whether or not you believe in even plus or minus 10 percent when it comes to pre-hunt estimates, the buck kill is the telling factor. Yes, equipment certainly is light years ahead on the bow side (and now crossbows) from days long gone, and more bucks taken by arrows/bolts certainly impacts the gun buck kill. Today, though, it's mostly a north vs. south thing, with ag lands in much of the southern two-thirds of the state hosting plenty of whitetails. Speaking just on my two-county area (and dozens of farm counties produce far more deer than the K/D Peninsula), we're at or very close to hosting as many deer as I've ever seen.

As a state, we've registered a minimum of 140K antlered bucks every year (combined bow/gun) since 1985, three times edging over 200K (1995, 1999 and 2000). Were it not for the north, I believe we'd be knocking on that door again. Better habitat, more action on predators and a big key — milder winters — will gradually improve things in the north. El Nino should help this year!

A final thought: in my early "hunting after school and weekends" years (1974-1979), the best combined gun/bow buck kill in the state was just under 94K my junior year. The best combined overall gun/bow harvestwas 157K, also in fall of '78. It wasn't due to lack of pressure, either. There were more gun deer hunters from '77 on than we had last year in WI. We didn't give up due to lack of deer sightings, and we didn't complain, either. We hunted! We enjoyed the magical time when a whitetail stood where, seconds earlier, there was nothing but trees and brush and grass. Today we're spoiled. We expect far too much. Maybe a good time to market "Shut Up and Hunt" t-shirts??

23-Oct-15
But the unexplainable is that in those same years I saw more deer per sit than I do today.

23-Oct-15
For a low population, I would remedy by hunters not killing any antlerless deer until a rebound in numbers is verified by science.

23-Oct-15
Thanks "Jimmy Jones"!

DT, I'm sure there are many others in your boat, as the habitat "back in the day" varied greatly vs. now, as did hunting pressure. Nothing stays the same. Other possibility is hunt methods. Very few baited in the 70s and no food plots (outside of "ag"). Gun season, no towers, and heated shacks were rare. Guys got cold, you walked. Very few leased. Lots of deer drives to keep animals on their feet every day. Times have changed. Many hunters today, if they're honest, will tell you they see more deer during spring turkey hunting (pre-fawn!) than they do come fall hunts. Whitetails certainly know when the pressure is on, and the number of archers has doubled in the past 40 years. Now add all the intrusion placing and checking cameras, etc.

24-Oct-15
"number of archers has doubled in the past 40 years" And some say that we need to recruit a LOT more hunters??? Anyone lost permission to a property because "cousin Fred got a crossbow and doesn't want anyone else in there"????

24-Oct-15
Agree with lame crowndip. From a resource standpoint we have to many people hunting already. From a money standpoint, we dont have enough.

24-Oct-15
"From a resource standpoint we have to many people hunting already"

EXACTLY, I've said this for years on here and get crucified for it. We don't need more hunters, especially the types the DNR is willing to recruit just for the sake of money. It will bite them in the ass bigtime though when no one has anywhere to hunt. They can't keep trying to shove everyone to the public land they refuse to manage either.

24-Oct-15
Another subplot to this tale is the MFL program for private land. I have my land in the program and am just realizing that the DNR is forcing us to manage the land for saw timber development. That means no clear cuts and little browse development or cover. The woods are open and lovely and you can see forever, but there is nothing other than males to see. I know several people we have pulled their woods out of the program or refused to join it in spite of the tax advantage, for these reasons.

24-Oct-15
RutNut, your analogy is spot on and likewise lame crowndip,seems to me most of those who keep up with "we need more hunters " line are hunting private owned land,with limited access or where no one else is allowed to hunt,hmmmm.

24-Oct-15
Another reason public lands got busier is because back when the DNR started pushing their kill every deer agenda along with the excess tags some of us private landowners put a stop to anyone hunting our lands other than family which was a big change from how it used to be. Someone had to manage to keep a few deer on the landscape (since most hunters would prefer seeing one or two here and there) and it was obvious the DNR wasn't going to take this role so landowners stepped up. Good and bad, as this made the public lands busier but also kept a few deer on the landscape. The DNR still hasn't learned, there are still too many tags given out, still too many seasons (I mean really do we need a 4 day antlerless hunt in December?) the wolf population is still being underestimated while the deer population is overestimated, and the DNR still chirps about the out of control deer population. Until the DNR quits managing with what seems to be an attitude that no deer will attract and retain hunters, many private lands will remain closed to all but family causing public lands to be busier and causing more hunters to throw in the towel. As I tell everyone that asks to hunt and have told them for years now, my decision to not let you deer hunt my land is directly related to the DNR's decision to manage for as few deer as possible. Here's hoping that someday the DNR figures this out and they change their ways, in the meantime we'll just see more and more hunters dropping out as sad as that is.

As to the original question of what can we do; my recommendation would be to not believe the DNR when they talk about the deer population, the wolf population, or the bear population, and don't take part in the extra deer seasons and don't use the extra tags. Most importantly don't support the DNR, and IMO the DNR's finances should be scrutinized on a yearly basis until they can prove they actually can use their funding in a wise manner which is something I haven't seen in at least a decade.

24-Oct-15
Its politically correct to keep cheerleading all these user groups and seasons we keep creating, but in reality all its going to do is pit user groups against each other, especially in the north where the resource isn't big enough to keep them all happy. We need to go back to a 9 day gun season, and archery season. Thats it. The rest is just nonsense. If you need a special season or special regs to participate, go bowling or play golf. They have handicaps already in place to make you feel good.

24-Oct-15
HunterR what county is your land in?

"And most importantly, don't support the DNR."

DNR has been gutted for many years, by multiple administrations, both D and R controlled; we've got so few wardens now it's ridiculous, a cheater's dream. No more in-person deer registration, and soon no more back tags, and no need to even put a tag on a deer. Today we have county deer advisory committees and folks are still complaining. The legislators and NRB, not the DNR, brought us crossbows.

My belief is the greatest loss of hunters — gun deer license-buyers — has come from two areas: CWD zone and northern forest. One for fear of the disease/loss of interest, the other for not enough deer sightings to justify the travel (though there are still "a few" bright spots across the north).

24-Oct-15
HunterR said: 'there are still too many tags given out, still too many seasons (I mean really do we need a 4 day antlerless hunt in December?)'

Deer aren't distributed uniformly across the landscape as a consequence some farmland units do have too many deer.

A four day December antlerless hunt helps to cull the excess deer.

As for too many tags - our Unit has unsold inventory. At $12 a copy no wonder. They should be giving them away for free.

24-Oct-15
Typical Naz, twist it as if I was complaining about too many wardens. I mentioned the DNR as a whole, never said anything about wardens in particular. It's no surprise that your belief is that the loss of hunters has nothing to do with the DNR, always the DNR apologist. And where is it legal to "no need to even put a tag on a deer."? Wow, mention the DNR and the outdoor writers come out of the woodwork lol. Guess everyone needs a job...

24-Oct-15
'Typical Naz, twist it as if I was complaining about too many wardens. I mentioned the DNR as a whole, never said anything about wardens in particular. It's no surprise that your belief is that the loss of hunters has nothing to do with the DNR, always the DNR apologist. And where is it legal to "no need to even put a tag on a deer."? Wow, mention the DNR and the outdoor writers come out of the woodwork lol. Guess everyone needs a job... '

I got no dog in your grudge, Ron. Seems to me that Naz is simply stating the obvious.

24-Oct-15
We need fewer hunters, not more. Public lands are overcrowded as it is.

24-Oct-15
"Another reason public lands got busier is because back when the DNR started pushing their kill every deer agenda along with the excess tags some of us private landowners put a stop to anyone hunting our lands other than family which was a big change from how it used to be."

Let's not forget to add to that the many private landowners that went to public land to shoot does, so they wouldn't disturb the bucks on their land.

24-Oct-15
I have not read all the responses to this question. But I will say there would be no need for any other type of herd management then EARN A BUCK if a lot of hunters would have contained themselves when hunting during those years. Simple going out and killing deer just to kill them is not hunting. That is slaughtering and then to complain about there being no deer a few years down the road is a joke. And then to blame the WDNR is even a bigger joke. Those areas with such a decline and more help getting there then predators (coyotes and wolves). Until the hunters in the areas where there are so few deer take responsibility for their own actions there will be no solution and the herd will continue to be reduced but healthy.

Heck, I live for the day when I only see 5 deer (instead of 15) during an evening sit. Seeing 5 is seeing a healthy herd to me. In the areas I hunt with fewer deer there are more big bucks too.

24-Oct-15
"and soon no more back tags, and no need to even put a tag on a deer"

Key word there is soon.

Check the legislative proposals. Back tags you knew about. Getting rid of the need to tag a deer was just introduced. I guess some of these legislators figure dinking and doinking around with hunting rules is more important than putting more wardens in the field, repairing roads or improving our public school system.

25-Oct-15
Apr's on bucks and less does shot for a few years is all that's needed to rebuild the herd to whatever number is sustainable for your area. In farmland, does still need to be taken and apr's will help the overall age and herd structure throughout the state. This is the easiest, most uniform way to improve the herd no matter where in the state you hunt. More wardens and less dnr or more dnr and less wardens will do nothing for what you are seeing or want to see from your stand.

25-Oct-15
There we go again....I want YOU GUYS to do _________ so I can have a better hunt. I'm not sure where the mandate for the DNR says anything about developing a quality herd, if you can find it I'd be interested in seeing it. If you want APR around here, most every 1 1/2 year old buck carries a 6 or 8 point rack. Simple....I don't shoot the little ones but that's MY choice. "If it's brown" resigns you to the runts and youngsters. These sort of "solutions" are usually spouted by the guys that live in town and have no real "dog in the fight".

25-Oct-15
LC +1, if they want APRs up north in some counties, fine. Farmland, our best deer have 3, 4 and even 5 on a side first racks. I'd rather see someone walk out with a 3 or 4 pt. (total of both sides) and be out of the woods than wait shoot the finest genetics in the area.

25-Oct-15
LC +2

25-Oct-15
"Let's not forget to add to that the many private landowners that went to public land to shoot does, so they wouldn't disturb the bucks on their land."

I don't know anyone that actually did that and how silly it would be if it happened, although people did talk about doing it. ;-) Just like people talk about registering crossbow killed deer as bow killed, more silliness. Gotta be careful when it comes to believing everything you read. Most landowners I know including myself never had such a lack of deer that we really had to worry about taking a few doe every year, in fact we've been doing just that long before the big CWD scare was tossed out there. It was the big picture we were concerned about. Knowing how the DNR was mismanaging their public lands (and trying to get private landowners to mismanage theirs) having a few excess deer on the private lands seemed and still seems like a good idea.

I hear the theory of how the DNR didn't pull the triggers hunters did and I get that, but for you few DNR backers that can't believe they ever could make a mistake; bottom line is that without the excess tags, excess seasons, the save a tree bs, and the save a deer from CWD by killing a different deer bs all those hunters you blame could not have accomplished what they did if an irresponsible amount of tags hadn't been shoveled out year after year after year, and it still continues.

"Simple going out and killing deer just to kill them is not hunting. That is slaughtering and then to complain about there being no deer a few years down the road is a joke."

I agree, and I also don't know anyone who did that either. Most of the slaughtering I heard of was by yahoos hunting public lands, more than likely misguided by an idea that the deer population drastically needed to be reduced to save the deer population from CWD...???

"I got no dog in your grudge, Ron."

BTW I'm not Ron. If you put down the drink and paid attention you would know that. ;-)

25-Oct-15
My hunting will be great no matter what the rest of the state does, I am one of the fortunate few that can say that. They can legalize the use of Gatling guns and night hunting for all and as long as I can prevent trespassers I have enough private ground to sustain plenty of deer. Most of the talk of a shitty deer heard is up north and in some public forest areas around the state. These are the kind of places that no doe tags and apr's would really help. It's already had a positive impact in states that are using them.

25-Oct-15
Crusader + 1

25-Oct-15
the north and even different areas in the north need to be managed, in different ways but too much work for this state, who thinks one size fits all......

what good does county local control do, they continue to hammer does........

25-Oct-15
Crusader if APR's are so great why isn't the whole state of MI restricted rather than a few select units/counties?

25-Oct-15
"I don't know anyone that actually did that and how silly it would be if it happened, although people did talk about doing it. ;-) Just like people talk about registering crossbow killed deer as bow killed, more silliness. Gotta be careful when it comes to believing everything you read."

I didn't read it, I have seen both with my own eyes. It's still very common for large gun hunting groups to pound public land when some of the members are Landowners that don't want young bucks and does shot on their land. if you don't believe this happens you are just naive.

26-Oct-15
Serb used to say the same thing here back in the days of EAB; he and his buddies saved their deer and went and pounded the public. Funny thing is, that must have been some pretty good public to be able to handle all that doe-killing for so many years of EAB.

26-Oct-15
"Crusader if APR's are so great why isn't the whole state of MI restricted rather than a few select units/counties? "

I'm not Crusader, but I do own land in the UP and read up on the rest of MI (as well as hunting in WI).

The 12 counties put in APRs 2 years ago in the LP was a trial. So far, it seems that the people in those counties have liked what they've seen but the jury is still out. I would not be surprised though, if the LP went to something APR-ish statewide.

MI is basically a one buck state with a caveat. You can buy a buck tag and it is good for bow or gun. Or, you can buy a combo tag which allows you 2 bucks (any weapon) but one has to have a minimum of 3pts on one side and the 2nd one has to have a minimum of 4pts on one side. Where I hunt in the UP, the combo tag APRs have not lead to more and bigger bucks. The UP has dinks for bucks for the most part.

26-Oct-15
I think the states that have the trial areas will slowly increase, mo has a few areas that have apr restrictions and the guy I spoke with on Saturday says he is very happy with it. Eastern Texas has gone to a minimum width of thirteen inches instead of aprs. This allows your one year old basket rack ten pointers to live. A spike or fork horn can remain that way for life or turn into a trophy buck. A deers first set of antlers are not an indication of what his real potential is and we can't know that unless the one year olds get some kind of a pass. If you want to see more deer, aprs or min width regulations will accomplish that. Especially on public land where most hunters are weekend warriors and shoot the first buck and doe that walk past. All first timers and kids are encouraged to shoot the first deer they like on my land. Once they harvest their first buck they will be encouraged to follow the restrictions I've put on myself which is eight points and outside the ears to help ensure the young ones get a pass. I think restrictions like that along with maybe no does for two seasons in some areas would greatly increase deer numbers on public land throughout the state, especially in the northern counties.

26-Oct-15
Crusader: the last time I said something like this. Not exactly like this but in the lines of it. I was crucified by others for pushing my trophy agenda on to other hunters. In the areas with terrible populations we need to let the doe's walk. And many other things guys have already mentioned above.

26-Oct-15
Zonks-

You forgot a few things from the "glory" days. One was you got an archery tag, good for choice of buck or doe...one tag, no extra antlerless tag to fill the freezer while you waited for a buck of your liking.

Another was that there was very much less baiting, in Counties that still allow it, it is hard to find someone that doesn't bait....I only know of 2 or 3 that don't bait and I know of very many that do bait and they talk of all their friends that bait. I have yet to hear someone talking about deer hunting that doesn't bait around me.

The other is the enclosed stands and heaters that keep hunters in their stand as long as they want...that was mentioned by Naz.

One other thing that just came to me was the advance in communications, years ago if you heard someone from your group shoot...or thought you heard them shoot, you would have to walk over to them to see if they hit one and needed help tracking or dragging. Now you either ask over your hand-held radio or text them.

Every time someone shot or someone got too cold to sit any longer, they made a mini drive to those around them.

We used to have a guy that sat on a field edge every year before he passed away a few years back. He would usually see close to 20 deer every opening day(sometimes 40 or more) years ago, most were probably the same deer being bumped from one area to another since he could see over a half mile of field. His last few seasons had his sightings drop, those dropped sightings directly correlated with some of the neighbors using heated enclosed blinds. The number of deer crossing the fields has dropped considerably, while our local population has soared to all-time heights over the past 10 years.

26-Oct-15
FiveRs, +1. Same here, see fewer deer opening day of gun than I did (most years) decades ago, yet I see more deer today in spring, summer and early fall than I ever did back in the day. Agree that hunters "sitting tight" over baited sites today vs. being more mobile years ago is a huge part of it.

27-Oct-15
I can say with the utmost certainty, I do not bait. I have thought about a food plot but I am in hard woods , the forest is an acorn pile. I know that none of this is directed at me , but I found a few points hitting close to home.

I have baited when it was legal. Every morning I would take a little plastic trick or treating pumpkin of corn to my shooting lane and dump it. Climb my tree and a little 6 would come in. I loved watching him. But I never shot a deer that year.

I know guys who only rut hunt their land when they know they have some nice bucks on camera, and hunt every piece of public land the rest of the year.

I hunt in my climber all season so I get cold and get down and walk toward my brother and father. My dad has done it for years. But now at 70 he gets too cold so I am building him a box blind.

I know that when we hunted public land as a kid my grandfather always said never pass a buck, no matter what. I didn't get any satisfaction shooting a spike after my first deer so I adopted a new way of thinking. But that was back when you got one deer per party tag. had to walk in two miles in the woods to get to your stand and never saw another hunter. that is also when all the trophies he shot came from that I still have on my wall. That was in Lake Nebagomon Wi , you don't get a whole lot further north in WI. But now there are logging trails through those woods that anyone can easily access. So more hunters hunt there with more tags and you see fewer deer.

That being said, I think we do need to recruit hunters. Our children, or younger relatives and teach them that it is ok to end your season without a deer. Eventually they will be successful. I pass deer and go without some years just because I feel it was the right thing to do. But it is not something I was taught. It was something I taught my father, brother, step son and eventually my son. Its ok to go home disappointed. There is a lifetime of hunts. Its called hunting not killing. There is no participation trophies in this sport. And I like it better that way.

27-Oct-15
Jay, +1

• Sitka Gear