Fuzzy 08-May-17
jfish 18-May-17
DeathStroke 23-May-17
bohunr 18-Mar-18
Fuzzy 19-Mar-18
bohunr 15-Apr-18
Fuzzy 27-Apr-18
03-Oct-15
I keep seeing things posted in little country stores about the feral hog problem. I even see it in the Virginia hunting regs now. But the DGIF can't tell you where to go or who to contact. Does anyone on here know anyone who is having a problem with feral hogs? I would love to give hunting them a shot, but I can't find anyone around here with them, and I don't know where to go. I can't afford to go to a ranch or anything like that. Thank you all in advance for any guidance on this

05-Oct-15
the DGIF doesn't want you to hunt them

05-Oct-15
sport hunting hogs tends to scatter them, and is totally ineffective as a reduction method. the biologists want them gone, so they'd prefer they were left undisturbed so that trapping is more effective.

09-Oct-15
Thanks. I would kinda like to experience the hunt, though. Anybody comes up with anything let me know

13-Oct-15
where are you located?

I can turn you on to some public land that has hogs, but be prepared to work damn hard to even get a smell.

17-Oct-15
My hunting time is limited, so I don't make any promises, but I appreciate any guidance. Thank you

19-Oct-15
ok, so where are you located?

29-Oct-15
Stafford

30-Oct-15
Yeah too far for where I am, you need to be looking for some private land around the pocket of hogs near Culpeper.

31-Oct-15
Ok. Thanks for the guidance

02-Nov-15
Hang around feed and seed stores,when you can, talk to farmers in the area, hogs are gonna be spending days in the thickest cover they caqn get in, travelling out at night to root in pastures, hit cropfields, silos, and feed bunks, and hightail back to cover before dawn.

They like rhododendron thickets, marsh grass, cedar clumps, rose thickets, blowdown tangles, the real thick n nasty stuff.

06-Nov-15
Thanks again, Fuzzy. Great info for a newbie

09-Nov-15
If you've got oak woods you might check for recent blow downs where the root ball left a natural depression with the roots as a cover, they like to hole up in those in cold windy weather. In Oklahoma I saw a lot of round hay bales that'd been rooted into a mass by hogs using them as warm cover on cold sunny days. look for the cover to find the hogs

10-Nov-15
Ok. Will do

03-May-16
enrutt, did you have any luck?

03-May-16
I stuck a pig last Saturday night. Sounded like a solid hit, but I was unable to recover the animal, my arrow and never found a speck of blood. I'm thinking I must have hit him high and did not get a pass through. The sounder scattered and I waited a half an hour and a big sow came back in and I promptly shot right under her chest. Even with my motion activated green light and lighted sight pin I had a very hard time getting a good sight picture on the dark body. They were not spooked too bad as they were back on the bait about 5 hours later. I have 2 separate groups, one has 7 pigs and the other has 17 pigs hitting two separate bait sites on a regular basis. Going to take my scoped muzzleloader out this weekend. I want at least one pig. I have about 3000 photos of them over the past 2 months.

05-May-16
Machias you need to share some of that action ;)

06-May-16
:o)

08-May-16

Machias's embedded Photo
Machias's embedded Photo
Finally

10-May-16
good job!

10-May-16
about 100#?

10-May-16
Pretty close to 100, I did not weigh it. Of course the farther I drug it the heavier it got, so by the time I got to the truck he was at least 250. :o)

10-May-16
yeah they'll do that. lol. only thing drags herder, per pound, than a hog, is a bear

08-Jul-16
Haven't had much time to check in here lately. Change of circumstance at home. Thanks for keeping the thread alive. Machias, nice hog!

11-Jul-16
Good luck with the COC, I've been thru a couple of those. (Mine were spouse-deletions). They're stressful at first but result in more hunting time and more leeway in allocation of funds to hunting gear. ;)

11-Jul-16
Thanks!!

27-Mar-17
I live in Culpeper and we have a small population. It is very difficult to find a place to hunt them.

Machias, beautiful hog. Where was it killed?

05-May-17

08-May-17
DC area, wow!

18-May-17
Nice

23-May-17
The guy who killed this lives about 10 minutes from me. I have seen a couple bigger hogs get hit along Route 3 and my buddies have trail camera photos of a few. Nothing I have seen has been over 250 pounds.

There are a couple of guide services within a mile of where he lives. I hope they are not feeding or releasing hogs for sport hunting.

18-Mar-18
Anyone seeing hogs around still?

19-Mar-18
yes

15-Apr-18
I've harvested a Javelina in Arizona but haven't got a hog with my bow yet

27-Apr-18
don't hold out high hopes to do so in Virginia, unless you own property ferals are using, are VERY tight with someone who does, or have a golden horseshoe stashed in your drawers.

• Sitka Gear