Bloodtrail 05-Oct-15
LimeyMotors 06-Oct-15
Ace 06-Oct-15
Toonces 06-Oct-15
notme 06-Oct-15
BowhunterVA33 06-Oct-15
bigbuckbob 07-Oct-15
04-Oct-15
I hope some saw the letter today from the anti. Factually incorrect, incorrect by omission of facts or both. If I had the time I would respond but I hope someone can get a letter in for next Sunday correcting this letter and/or providing our position.

04-Oct-15
Bob,

Shame on you for reading the Hartford Courant.

I think they knowingly printed the trashtalk.

05-Oct-15
Of course they knew it. I figured they had it in the works from some time, just waiting for today. It still gets me PO'd. After all these years I still can't let this crap go.

Long time no see my friend, hope all is well.

05-Oct-15

cjb5591's Link
I saw that yesterday morning, really pisses me off. Maybe you noticed the cartoon above blaming the US Congress for the mass murder in Oregon. This hartford courant is the worst POS newspaper, constantly foisting it's crap ideals on the citizens of CT, really is a joke.

This latest anti-hunting rave is the worst-written piece I have ever seen. The writer starts off by saying that bow hunting is allowed on Sundays in "designated areas". Does he state that these "designated areas" are private property only? No, of course not. Then he goes on to say that hunting was a sport we would be using paint balls, completely ignoring the fact that hunters eat what they harvest. Next, he apparently believes he is an animal mind reader because "hunters inflict a deep and painful wound to a creatures (sic) just eating-and who spend the majority of their life...in constant stress they will be killed". Unbelievable.

There is so much stupidity, ignorance and outright bs in this op-ed that you really need to see it for yourself. Do the editors of this rag see its readers as so stupid that they will believe any piece of trash they publish?

Every hunter should make it a priority to read this article and see it for themselves.

05-Oct-15
ok I sent a reply to the OpEd dept.. here is what I sent.

In Peter Waleszczyk October 4th Op-Ed Titled ‘In Dread of Sunday Bow-Hunting’ numerous inaccuracies are presented that must be addressed. Firstly, Mr. Waleszczyk claims the new Sunday Bow-Hunting law allows for hunting in ‘Designated Areas’. To be clear, the new law only allows Sunday Bow-Hunting on Private Land in zones designated by the DEEP. This is an important distinction. Anyone who wants to walk, hike, bicycle etc. in the woods on their own land or in one of the numerous public parks in our state, is free to do so without any fear of encountering a bowhunter on Sundays. So when Mr. Waleszczyk asks “Why can't Sundays be open to safe hiking in the same designated areas instead, which now can't happen unless you want to risk being killed?”, the answer is simple; It is! Hunting is not allowed on any piece of public land on Sunday, nor is it allowed on any piece of private property on any day if explicit written permission is not granted to the hunter by the landowner each year. Secondly, Mr. Waleszczyk states “As a landowner of both woods and fields, I do not see enough protection for those of us who will not allow others to enter our property for the purpose of killing.” That is a patently false statement. It has been the law in Connecticut for many years that any hunter hunting on private land must obtain written permission from the landowner each year on an official DEEP form. If Mr. Waleszczyk sees someone trespassing on his property, he should call the local police and those trespassers should be fully prosecuted. Let’s be clear, anyone who illegally kills an animal is a Poacher not a Hunter, and anyone who goes onto another person’s private property without permission is trespassing. The penalty for breaking these laws are harsh including the forfeiture of any items used in the process which would include the offender’s vehicle. Mr. Waleszczyk says that bowhunting “inflicts deep and painful wounds to creatures just eating.” There is no scientific evidence to support this claim. In fact, wildlife biologist and veterinarians suggest that just the opposite is the case, that deer minimal pain if any. I have personally witnessed instances where a deer was struck by an arrow that completely passed through its body, and began feeding again after a few steps. Additionally, we need to keep in mind that we are referring to wild animals, not Mr. Waleszczyk ‘s ‘pets’. Hunting is a National Heritage. Could anyone imagine the Pilgrims or the people on the Oregon Trail surviving without hunting? Just because now people can get their meat from the local grocery store, does not mean that other people should be barred from engaging in an activity that has been an integral part of Mankind’s existence for tens of thousands of years. If you eat beef or lamb or chicken or pork or fish, an animal had to die for you to have your meal. Some of us enjoy venison and enjoy the satisfaction of being able to provide that meat to our families through hunting. Many people who enjoy hunting, work hours that prevent them from being able to participate in hunting activities between Monday and Saturday. The new law gives those people an opportunity to enjoy a sport that they love and provide a healthy form of nutrition to their families in the process.

05-Oct-15
What an idiot! It's like a cartoon piece.

05-Oct-15
Seems like someone is a little cranky that he didn't get his way. Probably a good idea that he continues to refuse to wear hunter orange in the woods.

05-Oct-15
While I sure as heck don't share his viewpoint on hunting, you can't blame the paper. They have a responsibility to let people voice their opinion, their job is to be objective. Hopefully someone who's knowledgeable about hunting will write a proper rebuttal.

05-Oct-15
Cary, I agree with you that the paper has a responsibility to let people voice their opinion. The issue I have with the courant is that they constantly abuse this responsibility to force their own opinions and anti-hunting/2nd Amendment agenda on unsuspecting public, many of whom believe that "if it's in the newspaper, it must be true". Opinion pieces should be fact-checked in the interest of truth and fairness, what about that responsibility? Sorely lacking at this newspaper and most media as well.

05-Oct-15
CC,

write a pro hunting letter see if they publish it. Do you think that was the only letter they received?

05-Oct-15
Well said cjb and also a great idea Crow but my guess is no they won't publish it

05-Oct-15
Can't open it without signing up.

If someone can copy and paste it here, it would be helpful.

05-Oct-15
There were some great responses by you guys, I added my two cents. This guy, he's using fear mongering to rile up the anti hunters and pretty much depict us as savages, for lack of a better word.

"cjb5591" I get your point, but he's stating his opinion, he isn't a reporter who's reporting a story, so it's up to people like us to respond in kind and correct him accordingly. Does the media have an agenda, hell yes, but he's entitled to his opinion, as misguided as it may be.

05-Oct-15
I made the mistake of signing up. I already got about 20 junk mail messages after I did it. DO NOT SIGN UP.

Here you go air:

As of Oct. 1, state law allows bow and arrow hunting of deer on Sundays in designated areas.

Not all of us agree hunting should be allowed — but it appears we are in the minority as this law was passed. My opinion is that, if hunting were really a sport, hunters would be shooting paint balls — or Nerf arrows. They wouldn't inflict a deep and painful wound to creatures just eating — and who spend the majority of their life from birth to death being in constant stress over the fear they will be killed.

Why can't Sundays be open to safe hiking in the same designated areas instead, which now can't happen unless you want to risk being killed?

The National Rifle Association constantly quotes the Second Amendment, which reads as follows: "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." Archery equipment is lethal, so it falls into the category of arms. How does this even remotely relate to people walking around with a gun or a bow and arrow in a non-military action? Killing deer does not translate into protecting your home and family.

As a landowner of both woods and fields, I do not see enough protection for those of us who will not allow others to enter our property for the purpose of killing. I have watched various animals grow up this spring and summer — including turkeys and deer — and I consider them my pets. Not enough has been done to protect my rights as a landowner.

Going to the Department of Energy and Environmental Protection site, I find promotions on why the state wants to see more hunting done in Connecticut, which would bring in more money due to increased licensing. Very little attention is paid to the rights I have as a landowner if someone were to purposely disobey the law to enter my land without written permission. Forget about me even thinking about giving verbal permission. They do list a DEEP Environmental Conservation Police T.I.P. hotline if a property owner sees unauthorized hunting on his land. But how long would that response take? Should I also call 911 for the local police if I see someone armed on my property where my home is, or wait for a DEEP officer to travel to my property and give ample time for the trespasser to escape?

Penalties for illegal hunting (specifically hunting on land without authorization) should be harsh, with a minimum jail sentence and a felony conviction as we are talking lethal weapons here, which threaten those of us who are unarmed and just walking in the woods. I realize many hunters respect my rights by not going onto my property — but this is a reminder to those who may rationalize about wandering off approved areas.

As a devout Catholic, I believe Sundays should be a day of rest and reflection, not warfare on anything that moves.

By owning my land, I feel I have the right to walk through my property on a nice fall afternoon on my day of rest photographing or just observing animals and their families — enjoying wildlife being alive without having to wear bright orange, which I refuse to do. Many people have pets which they consider part of their family. I am just not a domestic pet person. Instead, my extended family is the wildlife on what I consider my sanctuary.

Please spare the animals that just woke up this morning and have no clue they may be dead before twilight. Seals being clubbed to death get the TV spotlight for public sympathy — but what about an animal that has been pierced in Connecticut while getting a cool drink of water out of a stream and must spend the last few hours of its life in pain limping along before their imminent death.

Peter Waleszczyk lives in the Terryville section of Plymouth.

05-Oct-15
The part where he wants to make it a felony, talk about a blowhard. I signed up also, I used my name at the bottom of my rebuttal, don't know how well that's going to go.

05-Oct-15
Wouldn't be a hoot if someone paid for a year's subscription of Bowhunter magazine to be sent to his home.

05-Oct-15
Let's not forget the title of the piece: "LIVING IN DREAD OF SUNDAY BOW HUNTING"

"Please spare the animals that just woke up this morning and have no clue they may be dead before twilight". Seriously??? Does that include the millions of chickens, cattle, fish etc that the world dines on? I wonder what he eats.

05-Oct-15
CT thanks for posting the letter..

Here is my view….

This guys opinion is irrelevant. I couldn't care less what he thinks. Sunday bowhunting has been passed and signed. You can't unring that bell.

Ignore it. People that have read the letter, will forget about it 5 minutes later.

Let's just enjoy the victory of those that worked hard to get it passed.

05-Oct-15

CTCrow's embedded Photo
CTCrow's embedded Photo
It makes me wanna go ask Peter permission to hunt his property but I think some one might've beat me to it.

05-Oct-15
Air leak... I disagree.. We need to keep pointing out publicly how the antis distort the facts to promote their agenda. We want to be able to expand Sunday hunting to be more than just bow on private land. Those battles are still to be fought and without pointing out those falsehoods now will cause the average person to believe them to be true and will diminish our chances to expand hunting oportunitites in the future.

05-Oct-15
Damn junk mail keeps piling up.

Has anybody else that signed up gotten any?

05-Oct-15
Air leak... I disagree.. We need to keep pointing out publicly how the antis distort the facts to promote their agenda. We want to be able to expand Sunday hunting to be more than just bow on private land. Those battles are still to be fought and without pointing out those falsehoods now will cause the average person to believe them to be true and will diminish our chances to expand hunting opportunities in the future.

This!!!!!!!!!!!!!

05-Oct-15
yeah, my junk filter must be better than yours.... I got a response from the Courant.. They said my 'Letter' must be under 200 words.. I replied back that the op-ed I was rebutting was 653 words and asked why I was being limited to 200.

05-Oct-15
Air leak, I agree with you. Guy doesn't know squat. Move on.

We won the Sunday hunting thing. Carry on.

06-Oct-15
my house is dam close to that picture Crow. The large field with the red circle is used as parking for the Fair grounds. The best part is there is a "find a hunter" enclosed trailer only a few houses down from here. -Duncan

06-Oct-15
"Killing deer does not translate into protecting your home and family. "

huh?

"My opinion is that, if hunting were really a sport, hunters would be shooting paint balls — or Nerf arrows. "

umm, OK.

"I have watched various animals grow up this spring and summer — including turkeys and deer — and I consider them my pets."

"Many people have pets which they consider part of their family. I am just not a domestic pet person. Instead, my extended family is the wildlife on what I consider my sanctuary."

Someone should inform his that having wild animals as pets is illegal in CT.

I generally ignore people with ignorant opinions. But I have to admit, sometimes it's fun to play with them a bit.

Honestly though guys, I think with this one, we are dealing with a person who is either simple, or mentally disturbed.

06-Oct-15
I sent this to a couple of buddies of mine in Minnesota. They were amused that the Courant used a file photo of a Duluth City hunt for some reason, instead of using something CT local.

06-Oct-15
Toonces,its like the state of ct showing up at a ge presentation with a picture of a Pratt engine on the paperwork...they just pull a picture out their ass and hope no one notices.

06-Oct-15
I wonder if he takes the time to be concerned for all the people who will wake up this AM for the last time as well.

07-Oct-15
Crow

love your replies!

BTW - the guy is a registered democrat. I know,....that part was obvious.

• Sitka Gear