longbeard 07-Oct-15
STM 07-Oct-15
drslyr 07-Oct-15
bigbuckbob 08-Oct-15
notme 08-Oct-15
spike78 08-Oct-15
Will 08-Oct-15
05-Oct-15
So, I am all excited about my first Sunday hunt. I am hunting a piece of property in Redding that I have not hunted yet this year. I usually change into my gear at the train station and head over to the property. Yesterday i thought I would stop at the local Dunkin Donuts for a snack. I had all my gear on when i walked in. As soon as I get in the door i notice two guys sitting down having breakfast. I assume, since they were the only ones in the place that they owned the bass boat parked outside. i give a smile and say good morning and these guys start laughing. One of them looks at me and says "There is a guy who doesn't know Connecticut hunting regs. There is no Sunday hunting." So I tell them that the law had passed for archery only hunting on private land in specific zones on Sunday starting October 1st and this was the first Sunday that hunting was available. They were not having it. They said that whole Sunday thing was a hoax and had never passed. I really wanted to whip out my phone and show the morons but i wanted to get in my tree. I told them to take a minute and check the DEEP website and they would see I was right. Stuff like that pisses me off. If you don't know the facts, keep your mouth shut. I was pleasant though and wished them a successful day of fishing. I did see a beautiful buck and two doe but not close enough. Anyone else catch any flack on Sunday?

Primo

05-Oct-15
Nope -

Had a guy ask me how I did when I stopped for a coffee on the way home... based on the stickers on his truck - he's a firearm only guy for deer and a bird hunter.

05-Oct-15
Had a couple of people ask me at a d&d in Shelton..but I think its cause I'm always in camp.lol

05-Oct-15
I would've laugh and say, NO, THERE ARE TWO GUYS that don't know Connecticut's hunting regulations.

05-Oct-15
If your not paying attention to the new laws every year you shouldn't be hunting anyway!

05-Oct-15
Better question for you Primo is why would you wear your hunting gear into a smelly place like DD before you go into the woods? Did someone tell you that Pumpkin Spice is a good cover scent?LOL

05-Oct-15
Most of my non-hunting friends just assume Sunday hunting is allowed. I can't tell you how many times I had to explain Sunday hunting is/was not allowed in Connecticut. Now I have to explain to them its allowed for bow hunting only on private land with written land owners permission in all zones but 2, 3 & 4a.

05-Oct-15
Good point longbeard. Just grabbed a bagel and always spray down when I get out of the truck. Might have better luck though, if i stayed away.!!

05-Oct-15
Im just bustin your chops but I usually stay out of those places until after the hunt. Not sure if it has ever helped me but I keep trying!

05-Oct-15
I shot a doe a few years back using DD's light and sweet cover scent all over my pants and jacket so don't know it LB.

05-Oct-15
What ever works for you Crow...sounds like you had the wind in your favor, I just know I would never do it that way. But, with that said plenty of guys smoke on stand and are successful. The other thing to consider in this conversation is what class of deer are you trying to kill? No leeway with older age class deer

05-Oct-15
I'm usually after the first deer that shows up. Specially when the freezer is empty. I myself don't go inside but use the drive thru. I think filling your gas tank would be the worst.

Funny you mentioned guys who smoke on stand. I had an uncle that swore smoking helped his hunting. He said curious deer would come to investigate the smell. I do hear and know of smokers shooting deer so there has to be something to it.

05-Oct-15
I knew plenty of guys that smoked on stand is it better than not smoking I don't think so .

05-Oct-15
Longbeard, Ive had to put out many cigarettes to get ready for the shot when deer come in. I had a coyote at 15 feet away while I was on the ground and just got done smoking. When the wind is right it doesnt matter what you smell like.

05-Oct-15
I have also hunted with several hunters who smoke and I know where they are because I can smell the smoke and they harvested deer. I think that if the deer are in an area that have homes that burn wood they get use to the smell of smoke and do not get alarmed. Just my 02 cents. STM.

07-Oct-15
Yes all good points and I think woodsmoke from a stove brings a different reaction than cigarrettt smoke...however when you say "they smoked...and they were successful" again I would ask, what age class did they harvest? Those young deer are very curious!

07-Oct-15
Both youg and old deer. Have a safe year everyone.

07-Oct-15
I have found that deer are very attracted to lung cancer and emphysema. Many smokers have told me that deer are inquisitive and come to the sound of a hunter hacking up a lung.

08-Oct-15
I'm going to start smoking today!! Gotta increase my odds. ;)

08-Oct-15
I've hadem come in even with a crappy wind . Had walk by my blind while smoking,under my stand even sitting on a rock in the open ,as long as I didn't move.drew back on a couple with a lit one,shot it,finished my butt then went tracking..young and old deer.and yotes..and bear...this is a very small state and the odd of a deer never having any human contact are very low..would I see more and better age deer if I was squeaky clean,maybe..with all that crap said , I wish I never started smoking again.we've all got our own monkeys on our back

08-Oct-15
One thing is for sure, a gun hunter can shower all he wants, spray down himself but you will never mask the smell of hopps gun oil.

08-Oct-15
I'm a non smoker, and because I really enjoy "talking" with the group here, and hope to see you guys having fun in the woods for years, I encourage any of you that smoke to stop.

That said, Spike nailed gun oil for sure... That stuff is pretty much what it is.

Keep the wind in your favor, and use washing/cover scents etc to help as much as you feel they do (dont believe, dont use).

Always cracks me up, on TV, how they have scent lok everything - but NO face mask and they are wearing a massive logo "trucker" style cap. Shoot a big deer. "Wow, he was right down wind. Good thing I use scent lock"

Yes, your meatball sub at lunch or giant coffee at breakfast is clearly cover scent, and the dander on your head a dog could find in a nano second has no impact on deer. Ha!

Reality: the wind felt like it was going to the deer, but for what ever reason, didn't.

• Sitka Gear