WausauDug 06-Oct-15
Pete-pec 06-Oct-15
Mike F 06-Oct-15
buckmaster69 06-Oct-15
happygolucky 06-Oct-15
RutNut_@work 06-Oct-15
Dampland 06-Oct-15
05-Oct-15
Do you share your hunting area and stands with fellow hunters or do you only hunt the stands you put up?

06-Oct-15

Turkeyhunter's embedded Photo
Turkeyhunter's embedded Photo
Share. Had a buddy up last weekend with his 8 year old son. We had a fun time kicking back and slowly immersing the kid into deer camp.

Also chased birds after breakfast with the Labs and had some archery practice.

06-Oct-15
I share all my stands and blinds with my kids and hunting buddy. As long as the wind is right for the stand they want, any of my stands are fair game for anyone hunting with me. EXCEPT, certain stands I have to sit on certain dates if the conditions are right.

06-Oct-15
My group shares all the stands on our property. Since we have over 70 stands, it's usually not a problem to find one to hunt.

We do however, tend to give first priority to the guy who actually installed/built a particular stand.

06-Oct-15
Nice job Turkeyhunter. Thats how you do it and not one day a year.

Where I lease hunt with 5 or 6 guys I can only hunt a certain areas and only certain stands that I put up. The land is 300 acres or so of mix ag and woods. Not complaining but wondering how others do it.

06-Oct-15
Over the years I have put up lots of stands on the property I hunt. Anyone that hunts out property can hunt any stand they want as long as the wind is right. I usually have all the land all to myself but when someone is there I try to steer them toward my best spots. I'd rather someone else be successful out of a stand I set up.

06-Oct-15
our group all share same as Dampland

06-Oct-15
960 farmland acres solo. I'm certainly the sharing type, but the landowner appreciates a guy who values his property, and the small rewards that come from a guy like me that shows him just how much lol. I don't pay to lease the property, but I do have a chainsaw and a strong back. I also fish and throw sdome great fish fries for his family and ours. At Christmas, I will treat his entire family to a holiday feast of their choice via giftcards.

There are times I wish I had company....especially because there is plenty to share. It is nice having a plethora of alternate stands as you bump deer, or the winds change from day to day and through the season.

This discussion recently came up at work, thinking about what it would be like to either lease or share property with other people. Would ground rules get broken? Would there be things that would come up that would hurt feelings? How would you divide the land so it seemed fair for all those sharing? The only thing we came up with, was having the land and stands available to all, and determining what the limitations were, as far as guests, quality of deer harvested, how many etc. These certain criteria would make things difficult. It would be best to surround yourself with people who think very similar to yourself as far as your beliefs on deer harvesting and management.

06-Oct-15
The stands are used by friends, family and hunters new to the sport. I usually let the older guys pick their stands and take one of the left overs because I hunt a heck of a lot more than they do. They often ask a ton of questions as to where the deer are traveling, and what the best stands are.

As far as harvesting deer. All I say is that if they are happy with the deer they harvest, I am happy. There are plenty of them to go around. We all have a fun time, lots of smiles and great memories.

06-Oct-15
Mike F + 1.

06-Oct-15
At the camp I have hunted at the last 8 years, all stands were shared. Same is true at the land I hunted in Columbia County. With my new land, all stands (I only have 5 at this time) will be available for everyone.

As for the deer, I have no rules. If you have a tag for it and want to kill it, go for it.

06-Oct-15
This is an interesting topic. I said I share and I do. But even my kids know there are rules to abide by. We don't hunt any stand with a bad wind. Certain stands don't get hunted until certain stages of the season. We don't shoot does during the rut or the first two days of gun season. I have had friends that thought these rules were too strict. They do not hunt our land anymore, we are still friends, we just don't hunt together.

06-Oct-15
+1 Mike F .... I do the same. In fact, I have historically put people in stands that I feel are red hot, hoping they score. It almost feels better to have them come back to camp thanking you for seeing a nice buck because I suggested a good stand. And when they get one from that stand. It feels awesome.

• Sitka Gear