steve 08-Oct-15
notme 08-Oct-15
bigbuckbob 08-Oct-15
notme 08-Oct-15
Fletch 08-Oct-15
Will 08-Oct-15
notme 08-Oct-15
07-Oct-15
If he's had that much success, I'm willing to try and hunt like it's the rut beginning on the 28th. Their testosterone levels are probably going to be off the charts right around that time anyway, so I'm willing to give it a shot.

Do you think it's too early to start rattling some horns?

07-Oct-15
I think it is impossible to predict.

07-Oct-15
Wasn't it pretty quiet right after Halloween last yr??

07-Oct-15
Depending where you are in the northeast I say the main breeding phase will be around the week of Veterans day. If we are talking the best times to hunt, I would say anytime from Halloween up until they go on lock down. Give or take a few days. As far as calling, I call all during deer season. Contact grunts and contact bleats are effective all season. I called in two nice bucks sunday evening with contact grunts. Just a short grunt to say "hey I am over here eating acorns". Deer are very vocal and very social in the early season. Shawn

07-Oct-15
The RUT will start at exactly 2:33 pm on Oct 29th near the big oak tree, unless it's cloudy, then it will be delayed 56 seconds and will be moved to the hemlock to the right of the oak ;)

I saw it on the internet so it must be true.

The rut will start when the rut will start, and I will be in the woods on those days that I can make it to the woods. Then I have to be lucky enough to have a big buck chase a doe near my tree. I agree with gathering knowledge, but I look at this like the weather forecast for 10 days in the future,....I don't change my plans based upon what they say 10 days before hand.

Go out as often as you can and enjoy,....and may luck be on your side.

07-Oct-15

steve's embedded Photo
steve's embedded Photo
OCT 31 is always a good time !! OCT 31 The one on the left full rut and chasing .

07-Oct-15
now you're just show off

07-Oct-15
It is hump day...

07-Oct-15
Ill take November 6 any year :)

I think the moon based rut prediction from the trail camera study done by Charles Alshiemer, and the guy who was (may still be) the deer bio for the state of VT suggested a slightly early rut this year based on the moon cycles. I think chasing was about that week prior to or covering halloween... Check the last month's edition of Deer and Deer Hunting, the article with this years prediction was in that one I think...

07-Oct-15
Talk about some nice Wall Furniture!!!!! In my sixth year and I want to bag a buck so bad, but I don't want it to be by luck.

I'm gonna do some calling next time out SWK

07-Oct-15
Will i have a camp pretty near charlie A and he's usually pretty close on his predictions.

07-Oct-15

SILVERADO's embedded Photo
SILVERADO's embedded Photo
Oct 29 came into rattling.

08-Oct-15
I like the first week in Nov myself, but would take a Oct 29th deer like Silver's any day!! Sweet!

08-Oct-15
U guys suck.!.lol..

08-Oct-15
Talk about jealous!!! Damn man, I'd be the envy of my friends with a buck like that on the wall. They already enjoy the fact of having a buddy that hunts, but a "Bruiser" like you guys are posting, WOW!!

Hey "SWK" I've learned a lot listening to guys like you, if it sounds reasonable, I'm always willing to give it a try. Perfect example, someone posted about moving thru the woods silently, using the heel to toe technique. Tried it on a hunt the other day and got to within 40 yards of a deer browsing. In my six years, I have never come that close on the ground, took me almost twenty minutes to cover close to 40 yards. To someone such as myself, who's been deer hunting for six years, you guys are a wealth of information!!

08-Oct-15
I remember when he shot that buck .

08-Oct-15
I think there is a formula for it based on moon phases

08-Oct-15

SILVERADO's Link

08-Oct-15

Will's embedded Photo
Will's embedded Photo
I found the D and DH with Alshiemers table for this year and snapped a pic. Kinda looks like the peaks of each rut phase would suggest the ideal time frame would be the 26th of October - the 12th of November, with a sweet spot a few days before Halloween to the 3rd or 4th of November.

08-Oct-15
Every year is different I had years like last years when I had 4 bucks fitting at the same time and chasing all over the place, other years were like there was no rut .You have to be there if you want one .Steve

08-Oct-15
Would that be a good time to hit the bars too.?..im thinking Halloween night..should be able to bag a sexy female vampire to suck the life out of me...oh crap,we're talking deer huh..

08-Oct-15
notme - is that your echo cardiogram posted above?

What's tending mean? At my age I don't remember that part. Seek and chase,.....I get that part.

08-Oct-15
BBB,I think in your day they called it swooning..lol

08-Oct-15
BBB think of tending as post-coital snuggling...or sandwich making

08-Oct-15
I'm with Steve.

The whole moon thing is great. But, as an old fishing buddy used to say, "the best time to go is any time you can".

I have yet to see a year where November was not good.

It seems sort of local to huh? I can think of a few crazy epic days. One up here where a friend and I saw 3 mature bucks and several smaller ones chasing a doe - neither of us got a shot. But other folks we know reported nothing moving across town.

The last deer I shot in Redding came in with another about 45' after one of the largest bucks I've ever seen chased a doe in. For some reason Ill never understand, she turned, ran up on the ridge with me and stood there looking at him 10yds from my tree - safer than anywhere in the woods - I was NOT shooting her :). I figured great bait. Despite chasing her like nuts for 10' in front of me, when she ran up, he looked at her, and literally walked off the shelf down into a little river valley and out of my life forever. When a smaller buck came in with a buddy on the does trail and did what the big guy was supposed to (doesnt he read the magazines and books) I shot one standing exactly where the doe had been. My wife, was also hunting Redding but was maybe a mile away as the crow flies on the other side of the valley. She was on a great run, and never saw a deer.

So many times that's happened to me - one area is cranked for a day, then dead as heck for 2 weeks and another area is cranked.

Just have to get lucky I guess :) Wait, no, that would be Notme's goal ;)

08-Oct-15
The ultimate goal is say..lol

• Sitka Gear