adbowhunter 19-Oct-15
FlatLander 25-Jan-16
Retired-11-2000 30-Jan-17
wytex 21-Feb-17
08-Oct-15

adbowhunter's embedded Photo
adbowhunter's embedded Photo
Hey Neighbors -

I'm starting my research for next year and have couple of questions about Unit 6.

I have 5 points going into the draw next year and based upon the information on WFG's site I should draw the Unit 6 Type 1 tag.

I live in Fort Collins and since it's just a short distance will have plenty of opportunities to scout, but I want to make sure I'm reading the reg right. It states the Type 1 tag is good for the entire unit, but a general tag is not allowed on National Forest, is that correct?

I appreciate any information that might be provided. I killed a nice bull in CO unit 76 and have ample information about that unit as well as many others I'd be than willing to share if anyone has more information about unit 6. Happy to swap information.

Thanks in advance!

09-Oct-15
Correct

09-Oct-15
Thanks Bob, have you hunted this area and unit before?

09-Oct-15
No, never been there.

10-Oct-15
If you've got access to private property, it could be very good ... in spots, just as good as Unit 7. But if you're planning on hunting the public land in the unit, it could be tough. I don't think I'd chance it without access to private. The public land up here gets hit hard -- not by hunters so much as by everyone else! Very busy and although I've seen elk on the forest, even there there are not a ton of elk.

11-Oct-15
John -

Sounds like public land in CO...everywhere you go there are hikers, climbers and DOGS!!!

I'm going to roll the dice next year, I'm not loosing all that much (5 points) and I'm tired of waiting around.

Hopefully summer scouting will pay off.

Thanks for the heads up though!

17-Oct-15
Well, good luck. I'd rather have a general tag than that one, though, if all I had was USFS land to hunt. There are smaller pockets of public that might be worth it.

The Happy Jack, area, though, is a busy place. Kind of like a big city park with all the activity from hikers, bikers, riders, ATVs, shooting, camping, trail runners, etc.

19-Oct-15
John -

Would you use 5 points on a general season tag vs. that area? I guess at the end of the day that's what the question really is.

19-Oct-15
Without private access, I couldn't see using 5 points for hunting on the National Forest here.

I'd sure research what the success rates there are, but I wouldn't expect very high at all. There's got to be a better unit for 5 points. I would suspect that a general would be better than 6 on public land.

19-Oct-15
I'll echo John's comments. The problem with the nat'l forest, as well as the little bit of state land, is it's relatively small and surrounded by private. As he also stated, human activity is insane! My son killed a nice 6pt up there several years ago with his rifle, but you better get one early before they dive off into private. There's a reason I've never put in for an area 6 license, nor will I.

19-Oct-15

Z Barebow's embedded Photo
Z Barebow's embedded Photo
Aaron- See the pic and make your own judgment. Like noted above, it appears to accessible for folks in Laramie and Cheyenne.

19-Oct-15
Z - I've looked it over pretty good. Success rate for that tag is 55% which is well above average. I know take into consideration the private land...

Not exactly what I would consider a great tag but I'm burning my points on something close to home next year and this seems to be as good as anything else.

Obviously I've got a little time to do some more research and I sincerely appreciate your help and opinions. Every little bit counts. Its just tough to figure out what I could draw within a couple of hours of home...

19-Oct-15
John -

PM sent.

I appreciate everyone's help with this.

Let me know if I can return the favor in CO:)

25-Jan-16
I would not burn even 2 points there. I was warned by a few about the amount of people/hikers around and thought oh well the elk will be use to it. What we didn't take into account was the amount of Cheyenne and Laramie residents that go up there and call elk just for the fun of it! There are roads everywhere and the elk are very educated on calling. Lots of people driving around and calling from the truck/ATV after work = tough calling conditions. Private land would be good to hunt because you see elk everywhere on it, but that can be done with a general tag instead of needing the points for the type 1. If you do decide to apply send me a pm and I can give you some pointers to hopefully help out a little.

30-Jan-17
Adbowhunter. Need to check out NM now hunts . Great hunts there.

21-Feb-17
Have taken few elk off of that unit. It is good archery hunt. Some big bulls but you have to work for them. Many locals apply for that tag because the hunting is close and easy. Archery before the rec shooting ban expires is great.

• Sitka Gear