Rut Nut 15-Oct-15
Metikki 15-Oct-15
DaleHajas 15-Oct-15
Gonzo 15-Oct-15
Rut Nut 15-Oct-15
BSKED (mobile) 16-Oct-15
George D. Stout 21-Oct-15
10-Oct-15
I sat tonight about 100 yds from Jared. We were hunting ground that most likely hadn't seen a hunter of any kind for at least 3 years. Totally totally thick.

Had deer all around us but to no avail. If you read my mobile hunt you'd see I Was having a ball. I did have a run in with a twig and pulled some bark from my eye. I figure I'd take care of it later.

We climb down from the tree, Jared texts he's walking the creek bank to the bridge cuz it's so thick. I'm stubborn and tough it out like the ole man should traipsing thrum the thickest of thick.

We're hunting about 2 miles from Latrobe downstream along the Loyalhanna. Parked near a bridge that sees maybe 20 cars an hour. Folks litter here of course. Deer carcasses, old tv's, bottles......

As I near the truck, I hear Jared on his phone, telling his boss he's sorry. He had to miss work tonight. I ask why he can't work? You see, he got to the truck several minutes ahead of stubborn me.

He says dad we gotta go to the ER I'm bleeding and may have broke my leg?

A gruesome picture to follow my posts....

10-Oct-15
Jared came to the bridge and as he started up the hill to the roadway, in darkness, he slipped. His tree stand came down on his knee which was directly on a broken vodka bottle.

He walked a hundred yds to the truck screaming for me and calling on his cell. I never heard due to the noise of the thick vegetation. I took a look at his pants leg it was ripped and some blood in the area. Ok ER we go.......

I put him in a wheelchair, take him to the check in window and he tells me he's passing out. They rush him go triage. The nurse guy pulls off his boot...... Blood runs out. The cut we saw was secondary. The real damage was hidden by his tall rubber boots and new underarmor pants.

They cut off the pant leg to expose an incredible cut right to the knee cap cover. 50 4x gauze pads later they rush him Into a room, where they have to apply several stitches to stop the bleeding, so they can clean the wound.

He's still up there with MJ, I come home to eat and change clothes. He NEARLY CUT HIS FEMORAL ARTERY, and right now I'd have been making arrangements of a different sorts. He never would have made the last hundred yards.

So there I was looking at his bone structure in his knee..... Wondering why I didn't use my training as an NBEF guy that taught field emergency care, and didn't bother to check out his wound...

10-Oct-15
Fortunately we were close to the hospital. It pays to be thorough. I wasn't.

They were cleaning the triage room while Jared was being prepped for X-rays. I'm telling you there was THAT much damage and blood.

You just never know.

10-Oct-15

DaleHajas's embedded Photo

10-Oct-15
Wow that's terrible! Don't beat yourself up about it because your adrenaline must have been pumping seeing your son like that. Sure hope Jared recovers quickly and completely.

10-Oct-15
That picture I took AFTER the initial clean up. The gauze was applied as a tourniquet to slow bleeding.

What if it happened in the hills? Or down in the deep valleys we hunt.... What if it happened at 5C....... Or an unknown area......

Don't know how Im gonna feel tomorrow...

10-Oct-15
Dale, Evey day we learn life's lessons.. Some lessons are taught the easy way, some are taught the hard way. You I and others will learn from your post and like Phil said don't beat your shelf up. Thank god the worse is over. God speed Jared's recovery. Ed

11-Oct-15

Rut Nut's Link
WOW! That's scary Dale! I'm sure as a father when you saw the blood all you could think about was getting Jared to the hospital QUICK! Human nature.

Good reminder to take a few seconds and assess the situation.

While tracking a deer earlier in the week I came across a broken bottle (in the daylight) and thought that could be an accident waiting to happen.

2 weeks ago I got the Quick Clot clotting gauze at Cabelas. Slipped it right into the small first aid kit I now carry in my fanny pack. Probably would have come in handy for you guys!

Prayers for a speedy recovery sent out from Pike Co!

11-Oct-15
Thank God your son will be ok just reading that scares the crap out of me, probably be afraid to let my kids out of my sight for a few days life is fragil.

Mike

11-Oct-15
Glad to here your son is gonna be ok Dale!

11-Oct-15

Rut Nut's Link
Let's try this again. Clotting gauze link

11-Oct-15
Thanks all. If he falls and twists his knee a 1/4 turn, he blows thru the femoral. They wondered why I didn't call an ambulance and I Told them I was only a short trip away. Neither Jared nor I knew the extent of the primary injury- no idea..... And of course I carry a full medical kit in my backpack:(

11-Oct-15
Hindsight is 20/20 Dale! Don't beat yourself up about it! Good lesson for all of us to take the time to assess the injury. The Good Lord was looking out for you and Jared!

11-Oct-15
Dale, Jared is in the Hospital. He's not out there, by himself. You did the best that could have been done at that moment. Let the LAH folks do their magic, while you attempt a little bit of sleep tonight....

11-Oct-15
Glad things worked out, Dale. I'll say a few prayers for Jared.

11-Oct-15
I just completed training on using a tourniquet. It's something every bowhunterb should carry. If applied properly you have hours before any damage will occur to your limb due to using it. Just something to think about.

You did good Dale, getting Jared to the hospital quickly was the right thing to do. Good luck in his recovery.

11-Oct-15
Agree with others Dale, it wasn't your fault. Jared prayers said and for a quick healing.

And I get mad when I ruin a new pair of hunting or work boots on trash. Even cut a wool sock a couple of years ago, but missed the foot.

11-Oct-15
Mitch- did you get the training on the new tactical tourniquet that the seals and military are now using? And where did you get the training. This is something I want to investigate more.

11-Oct-15
Hope he gets better soon. You just never know when things can go bad. We'll pray for him

11-Oct-15
Thanks all. I'm just disappointed that I wasn't ready. Problem is I had all the tools there with me. I never would've thought that I wouldn't be prepared. I didn't use common sense. I'm pretty much over that fact and we both will remember this lesson.

Of course his well being is sooooo much more important. Anyhow he's home today, a bit distraught cuz he's going to miss some work, some hunting, but he'll be in a blind before seasons end. I'm going to look up some newer medical kits today.

And we want to hunt this tract, so looks like the pirogue is going into service. We talked about using it for yesterday's hunt.

Again thanks for your thoughts.....

11-Oct-15
Wow! That is a scary ordeal. Look at it like this...you each had a hunting partner. It may have been way worse if he was by himself.

11-Oct-15
Dale, Glad everything worked out and he is ok.

11-Oct-15

You can see the start of the wound to the right of the gauze pad.

11-Oct-15

He's hurting today....

11-Oct-15
Dale- from the looks of it, he is very lucky he didn't slice right thru the patellar tendon!

11-Oct-15
Good thoughts Dale.

11-Oct-15
He did nick it. You're seeing a bit more than half of the cut so imagine just how bad this could have been.

Just hope everyone will be better prepared than I was. Every cut, bruise, nick should be examined.

Thanks Again

11-Oct-15
Dale, sorry to hear about Jared's accident, but glad he'll be ok, and that you made us aware of it. Sure hate to see our kids get injured.

I'm going to spend considerable time alone in the mountains beginning in a week or so, and this reiterates the need for diligent conscious awareness, proper mindset, supplies and plans should thing go awry. Stuff happens, but we don't always need to die because of it.

I have a fully stocked first aid kit and a surgical/suture kit, but this reminded me, I need to get some clotting powder this week, razor blades, a few more sutures, and take stock again.

11-Oct-15
I'll tell ya Jeff I'm awake now! We need to ask Phil where he gets his pads:) I'm also looking at an up to date medical kit.....

11-Oct-15
Oh man, glad he is okay.

11-Oct-15
Wow, you just never know. Glad it wasn't worse! Be safe out there guys.

12-Oct-15
That looks nasty, hope he fully recovers and fast.

Lucky it turned out the way it did.

12-Oct-15
Dale, That is a freak situation, though it's something that everyone should hear. We all take for granted our trips to and from the stand. you just never know when something will happen.

I hope that the recovery is quick so that he can get back out in the wood.

12-Oct-15
Glad he's okay Dale, man that looks like a nasty one for sure!

12-Oct-15
Glad he is ok, life is continuous learning.

13-Oct-15
Dale, so sorry about your boy. Was there any serious ligament damage done???

Don't beat yourself up for losing your cool. I would freak out too if my boy was injured like that. Let me suggest something for you to help you get over the guilt you seem to be feeling. When your son is back up and moving, Both of you take a redcross first aid class together as a refresher. Not a bad thing to do anyway.

13-Oct-15
I think I am going to take a refresher also.

Years ago was on a hike with 4 guys. One guy collapsed. 2 of us started CPR and the other one called for help. It was like a blurr until the ambulance arrived. Thank God there was 3 of us. Not sure I would have responded as well if I had been alone. (had a happy ending ;-)

Think I will look into a first aid refresher course!

14-Oct-15
Hey Dale Hope your son makes a speedy recovery. Brian

15-Oct-15
How's Jared doing Dale?

15-Oct-15
Going to Dr today. He did go to work last night but he's training someone so he sits at a desk all night. Still on crutches and barely able to bend his leg. Thanks to all for the support.

15-Oct-15
Well we are now headed to see an orthopedic surgeon..... Sumthin aint right.

15-Oct-15
Prayers sent Dale!

Pat

15-Oct-15
OK Dale- will keep the prayers coming! Keep us posted.

16-Oct-15
I'll be thinking of you guys. Brian

21-Oct-15
He'll be fine Dale, kids are tough as nails. I'll keep prayers here as well.

• Sitka Gear