Flatlander 19-Oct-15
horsethief51 19-Oct-15
Mule Power 21-Oct-15
Brad Gehman 22-Oct-15
RC 23-Oct-15
Bob McArthur 23-Oct-15
RC 23-Oct-15
19-Oct-15
Ok I am confused about the ages for the mentored youth program, and what the state considers a 12 years old. Both my friend and I want to take our kids on a doe hunt this weekend. We both have valid doe tags that we want to transfer to our 11 year olds. The catch is that the licensing agents won't issue us mentored youth licenses because our kids turn 12 within the license year. His will be 12 in Feb, mine on the 20th of May. My son can not get his Youth license yet because he has not completed the required Hunter/ trapper safety course. I have been in the regs book and it clearly states that " a child can NOT use a youth license until he is 12 years of age" , but he cant buy a mentored youth license if he turns 12 within the license year?????? Please help me clear this up. Thanks!

19-Oct-15
I can't help you Chuck. But why not make a call to the PGC or a game warden? Here is the SW area # 724-238-9523 or 9524.

19-Oct-15
Chuck,

According to the PGC website, Mentored Youth Permit ($2.70): Issued to resident and nonresident youth between 7 and 11 years old at the time of application. In addition to the applicant's signature, the applicant's parent or guardian must sign the permit to validate it and the information provided before the mentored youth hunter goes afield.

It appears the licensing agent is incorrect.

Here's the link:

http://www.portal.state.pa.us/portal/server.pt?open=514&objID=596046&mode=2#mentoryouthhuntpermit

19-Oct-15
Called the PGC this morning and they told me that the licensing agent made a mistake because PALS offers the youth license first since the child is turning 12 within the license year. You can purchase both the license and the mentored youth permit since one is just a permit not license. She also stated that a child can not use the license until his or her birthday. This is all stated clearly in the regs book, but the folks that are issuing these permits are making some mistakes. So if you are in the same situation as I am be sure to request the Mentored Youth Permit! They can and should issue it to any child under 12!

Thanks Dave G.

19-Oct-15
I am surprised Roy can't just print them out for you.

21-Oct-15
Roy doesn't even know what a license looks like.

22-Oct-15
Not all licensing agents slept at a Holiday Inn. :)

23-Oct-15
Mule, check your damn cell phone message.

23-Oct-15
Easy the Mule, give him a break. RC knows what a license looks like...he just never has to do anything with the attached tag.

23-Oct-15
Bobby, I never did like you:) LOL

• Sitka Gear