Huntinggal2009 30-Oct-15
Huntinggal2009 30-Oct-15
Treerat 31-Oct-15
horsethief51 31-Oct-15
PAbowhunter1064 31-Oct-15
Ben Farmer 01-Nov-15
DcoleinPA 01-Nov-15
23-Oct-15
Lets put some deer pics on the post gang! Be safe wear yer harness! Good luck its time!

24-Oct-15
Windy. no deer sighted but other critters are out....

24-Oct-15
Windy. no deer sighted but other critters are out....

24-Oct-15
Out with my 14-yr old son this morning on our sportsman's club property. We each saw different bucks, and there was this little doe racing around the hillside like a lunatic. She came running at me, so I drew, bleated and stopped her, and smoked her at 10 yards. Turned out to be a button, but it'll eat the same. Heading out this afternoon to try to keep filling the freezer.

24-Oct-15
They started cutting the corn yesterday evening. Nothing moving this morning.

24-Oct-15
They started cutting the corn yesterday evening. Nothing moving this morning.

24-Oct-15
Several rifle shots on the mt this morning. I bowhunted squirrels behind the house where it was a little safer.

I used to boycott the ML/Jr&Sr rifle week but now just hunt near the house.

Adapting in the Maple City, Dave. :)

24-Oct-15
Herd just to let you know a game warden told me all youth hunters have to be accompanied by an adult, I said define accompany and he stood shoulder to shoulder with me so it would be illegal to have a 14 year old hunt 150 yards from you in the eyes of the law. Personally I would want to sit with my youth boys because I killed enough Deer in my life it should be about them when I take them.

Mike

25-Oct-15

HerdManager's embedded Photo
HerdManager's embedded Photo
I think he was talking about mentored youth, which is arms length.

Book just says you have to have "verbal control" whatever that means. We were close enough that we could yell to each other. He's been bowhunting since he was 12, and he killed his first deer this year (with a bow). Until this year, I always sat in the tree with him, but I'm trying to push him to the edge of the nest a little. He's ready to hunt without me in the tree with him, and I think he likes being alone.

16 year olds can hunt without any adult present, so I think it's good for him to not have me by his side all the time.

25-Oct-15
I was out yesterday evening, and saw a 4-point grunting and chasing a doe like it was November.

Had a button in front of me for 3 hours, gorging on white oak acorns. I let him go. The 4-point came over and bedded 20 yards from me and also stuffed himself on nuts. Weather was bad, but it was cool watching those deer for that long.

25-Oct-15
"Verbal Control" was explained to me as being close enough to say "Don't Shoot!" if an unsafe situation arises.

25-Oct-15
We were up above State College yesterday and the wind was unbelievable! Patty saw a 4pt, and I saw 4 gobblers. Boogied out of the woods about 10 min before we had to, as it started to rain pretty good.

26-Oct-15
You don't have to be shoulder to shoulder with a 14 or 15 year old but you do with a 12-13 year old.

26-Oct-15

DaleHajas's embedded Photo
DaleHajas's embedded Photo
Took a flathead today with a kind of odd story.

Meat hunting out of the blind has me always telling my kids they dont want to hear. Lol draw yer bow, get comfortable, watch the christmas tree limbs, make sure youre centered in the window etc....

So I have 2 does come up to the blind, and feed. I have them at 21 yds. The bigger of the 2 is broadside. My bro killed the old doe last week. These are 2 fawns, with another older doe with a fawns that keeps company with them. I have 3 days to get some meat for the freezer. So the time was right and the opportunity is there.

I draw, lift back my head to check window clearance, place my pin right where it needs to be and release. All hell breaks loose as the arrow struck the edge of the ABS blind! I have no idea how it happened as I Was close to centered in the window when I checked. A blade from the Thunderhead 100 somehow caught its edge. Of course i wonder what would have happened with an arrow flying around inside a blind. Weve killed quite a few deer out this blind too.

It sounded like a gun going off. The deer buckled rolled then ran like a banshee downhill. Shot looked good as far as I could tell. I dont have lighted nocks on these Gold Tips. ( thats going to end) I go to the shot location..... No blood. No hair.:( WTH just happened. 1 hr into tracking we decide to pull back. When in doubt sit it out. After a couple hours we grid searched and I found her.

I went from seriously distraught to elated that we found her. The arrow kicked and I never saw it hit the rear quarter then exit the other quarter above the rear leg joints. She buckled like textbook hit.

Altho there is only a very slight mark on the blind window edge, for the life if me i cant figure it out.

26-Oct-15
Dale, Congrat's on the doe!! Glad you found her.

I quit using the T-head-100s after I had a blade fly out when I shot at a deer. I went to Steelforce 100s and have never had another issue.

26-Oct-15
Congrats on the doe Dale!

Saw a red fox and a spike tonight.

Going to a secluded field tomorrow where I saw the 9 point the other evening. My 7 year old daughter has been begging for me to plan a day to take her hunting. So, tomorrow it is! I'm gonna take a ground blind and set it up and hope to at least see a couple deer while she is on her first hunt!

27-Oct-15
Congrats Dale, had a short evening hunt in Ohio Monday night had a buck chase a doe out of a doe bedding area bleated him in was a pretty good size 6 point, was nice to see some chasing. Vacation starts Wednesday can't wait

Mike

27-Oct-15
Congrats Dale. .

27-Oct-15
Kudos Dale. Glad you found her.

27-Oct-15
Congratulations, Herd's son and Dale!

27-Oct-15
LOL! That's funny Dale(now that it had a good ending! ;-) I wonder what would have happened had you hit one of the poles that hold that thing up?!

Congrats on the deer and recovery!

27-Oct-15

Ben Farmer's embedded Photo
Ben Farmer's embedded Photo
Only saw a doe and 2 fawns tonight right at dark but it was the best hunt of the year so far! My 7 year old has been wanting to go with me so I had her out for her first deer hunt! We had a lot of fun tonight. She already asked when we can go again!

27-Oct-15
That picture is great Ben! Glad she had fun.

Vacation starts Thursday for me!

28-Oct-15
Congrats Dale and Herd. Ben, looks like you had a successful hunt whether you saw deer or not.

I hunted Saturday and ended up seeing a nice 9 point and a doe on state land in the am. They both came at separate times to the same tree at 70 yards to feed on acorns. I relayed that info to my brother and nephew and my nephew scored on the doe in the pm for his last mentored youth hunt. I have video of the 9 point and will post if I figure out how to do it.

28-Oct-15
Congrats Dale, good ending to that story! Always nice to have some fresh meat. Did you ever try cutting the hock off and use it for scent? It works!

Pat

29-Oct-15
1 squirrel and 6 birds this morning:). Other then that, not a thing! Had swirling winds this morning where I was at. Oh well, try again in the AM.

29-Oct-15
Combine is running tonight on one of the farms I hunt. Hopefully all the corn comes off everywhere in the next week

30-Oct-15
Got soaked this am and only seen a big bodied buck with a half inch spike on the one side. Stuck in till 11 and couldn't take the cold anymore. Headed back out around 2 when clothes are dried.

30-Oct-15
Misty this part of the state all day. Saw a small spike and 11 hen turkeys. A gobbler sounded off and thought it was going to get interesting but he never made it. Hopefully, tomorrow.

30-Oct-15

outpostdave's embedded Photo
outpostdave's embedded Photo
Shot this 9 point Tuesday Oct.27th at 6:00PM. 14 yard shot, watched him go down. Life is good! Dave

30-Oct-15
Congrats Dave

30-Oct-15

huntinelk's embedded Photo
huntinelk's embedded Photo
This is my sons first year hunting with a vertical bow. He killed a buck the second week, and now this big doe tonight. 17 yards shot, 75 yard recovery. 35 pound PSE Stinger X, 390 grain arrow, 2 blade Magnus Stinger, complete pass through....I am very proud of him. He is 11 years old.

30-Oct-15
Congrats Dave!!

That's awesome huntinelk!!

30-Oct-15
Congrats dave!

Seen same buck for the evening and that was it other then the squirrel army. Taking my son out in the morning. Good luck to anyone going out tomorrow.

30-Oct-15
Congrats folks! :)

30-Oct-15
Took 1/2 day vacation to hunt and find a stand for Patty for tomorrow. First time hunting around home from the truck. Was pretty much to where I wanted to stand and realized that I thought I had dropped my bino's. So dumped stand behind some brush and walked back out. Only to find the bino's still in the truck. On the way back in, I was on a hiking trail, and rounded a corner to see a nice sized deer broadside on the trail at about 40 yards. It didn't see me and crossed the trail. Deer #2 steps into the trail, but trots across. I thought I saw spikes on this one. By now I'm about at 25-30yards, I put my release on and knock an arrow. I see movement in the brush moving toward the trail. I draw. Out pops the head and neck of a really nice buck. That is for about 3 seconds. He doesn't move, and retreats back into the brush. No shot! I am still pinching myself. I don't know how many points he had, but he had plenty!! All of this happened at 1:30pm.....

30-Oct-15
Congrat's Huntinelk son, and Dave, and HerdM son.

31-Oct-15
Congrats to the successful kids and once again Dave M with a great buck.

Mike

31-Oct-15
Nice deer.

Deer were running around Friday evening after 5:30. Small buck chasing a couple does. Dale picked up the rest of the saw tooth oaks and chestnuts while I was in the woods. I could hear him and Kathy talking clear out in the tree stand.

31-Oct-15
Congratulations, Stick! Awesome story, and I'm sure your daughter will never forget her first successful tracking job with her dad. Also glad to hear those disposable junk mech heads are still killing deer!! Lol! These are the stories that make this site so great!

01-Nov-15
Congrats stick!! Great story!

01-Nov-15
I don't think I've posted all season, I'm slacking!

Thursday night no deer sighted but had a mother and older cub near me. I was like two sticks up in a gnarly oak and that cub was rubbing up against my tree haha

Friday morning no deer sighted but Friday evening I had a action packed hunt. Long story short I decided to take my climber and couldn't find a tree so I hi in a log pile near a green field and golden rod patch. I had a nice 8 within bow range twice but no clear shot. I watched him bully two other small 8s and it was awesome.

• Sitka Gear