Gonzo 06-Nov-15
Dennis Razza 06-Nov-15
bill v 06-Nov-15
BSKED (mobile) 07-Nov-15
Stekewood 07-Nov-15
BOWJO 07-Nov-15
mixed bag 08-Nov-15
01-Nov-15
Ok boys, 2015 edition of Notes from the swap, Semi Live Sika hunt from Maryland.

This years camp roster includes Teeton, Gene, Roman and myself. We're all set up in camp and ready to start first thing tomorrow. We'll have daily notes from the stand during the day and recaps in the evening. Hopefully we can take atleast one Sika this week. Anything more then that would be icing on the cake, small goal I know, but these little buggers can be tough to bowhunt. I expect that they'll still be rutting some, and if not we'll hunt them at they're food source or in they're travel corridors.

Til tomorrow, Bill V

01-Nov-15
Good luck boys!!

01-Nov-15
Go get em guys. Good luck.

BSked

01-Nov-15
Pic pics pic!

01-Nov-15
Have a great hunt!

02-Nov-15
Nice! Looking forward to this! Good luck!

02-Nov-15
first update

the group split gene and Roman went to another zone. not sure yet how they're doing.

Teeton and I have spent all day setting up 3 stands and we scouted quite a big area of the zone. I'm wiped out all ready. it's pretty dang tough walking through this carp

it's 2:30 and were finally sitting in our stands hunting. Teeton

is about 120 yards behind my left shoulder on the edge of the swamp. I'm on the right side of this small patch of woods I call the wallow woods.

I can see a 1/2 Mile or more in about a 180degree of direction

the fragmite is tall and veryy deep and thick. I don't know if we'll get out to the marsh in this spot or not

more later

02-Nov-15
3:24 pm. just heard my first whistle of the afternoon. at in front of me. not sure how far.

they were whistling this morning from about 730 til 930.

we're about 2 miles in and it's so incredibly quiet back here

hope to see something soon

02-Nov-15

bill v's embedded Photo
bill v's embedded Photo

02-Nov-15
we heard 30 whistles this evening. they were going crazy tonight. no sightings

gene and Roman heard about 12 whistles and zero sightings also

well get back on it tomorrow

taking the camera in with me tomorrow. I'll get some good photos

I'll be hunting a known crossing area that has 6 to 8 fresh wallows

more tomorrow

Bill v

03-Nov-15
Where are those pictures you promised? ;-)

03-Nov-15
Rumor has it that the water is running a little red down there by one of those stands!

03-Nov-15
sorry for the no udates today

was very busy. I don't know that Stekewood guy found out but yes!! :))

Stag down!

it took until 12:50 when I got him in the truck. what a job to get him out

I will detail todays notes later as there is a lot to do yet

Bill v

03-Nov-15
Congrats Bill..

03-Nov-15
Good for you!

03-Nov-15

bill v's embedded Photo
bill v's embedded Photo

03-Nov-15
Way to go Bill V.

I knew you would get one!!

BSked

03-Nov-15
Congrats Bill! That is a beautiful animal. As stags go, that is a good one. You guys need to give me a little more advanced notice next year. Would love to join you.

04-Nov-15
Wooohooo! You eastern boys are just tearin it up!! You guys ever think about the last year or so that ya'll have had and WHY?? It comes from being such good people:)

04-Nov-15
thank you guys!

cell service down here has been bad this year. I'll catch up on yesterday's notes.

right now I'm sitting in the wallow woods facing west. I just had one whistle really close to me. 100 yards or less. I could here him walking out in the frag hope he comes in so I can get a pic of him

teeton is a 1/2 Mike away over in the stag woods

gene and Roman are in another unit

04-Nov-15

bill v's embedded Photo
bill v's embedded Photo
this is what I'm looking at right now

swampy woods. just inside heavy frag

04-Nov-15
notes from my hunt yesterday.

got to the hub/cafeiteria (h/c) as it was getting to be shooting light. Teeton had a 5 min walk to the west for his stand. I had a 25 min walk to the south to mine through heavy swamp

got to my stand about 6:15. good shooting light. felt like I was real late, at 630 I was settled in for a long sit

04-Nov-15
Cool looking animal congrats

Mike

04-Nov-15
Congrats Bill, that's a hunt I always wanted to try. Great job on the stag!

04-Nov-15
7am came along and there was good light so I started the job of ranging spots as I sat there. I was looking east across an irrigation ditch. there are a half a dozen very fresh wallows on the other side along with a bunch behind me. Now I've seen plenty of wallows down there but I don't think I ever saw so many in such a small area. this spot has been known to us for many years as a travel corridor.

04-Nov-15
if you remember from the last post, I was sitting ranging at 7am. that only took a minute. I sat there for the next 5 min or so with the range finder in my hand watching things in front of me. I decided I should get up and range some spots behind me. I stood and turned, tried to range a tree in one of the few opening behind my left shoulder. it wouldn't register. I tried again and got a reading just over 30 yrs. as I lowered the range finder a stag walks into view from the left and heading right to the spot I just ranged

04-Nov-15
if you remember from the last post, I was sitting ranging at 7am. that only took a minute. I sat there for the next 5 min or so with the range finder in my hand watching things in front of me. I decided I should get up and range some spots behind me. I stood and turned, tried to range a tree in one of the few opening behind my left shoulder. it wouldn't register. I tried again and got a reading just over 30 yrs. as I lowered the range finder a stag walks into view from the left and heading right to the spot I just ranged

04-Nov-15
I jammed the finder into my left pants pocket and grabbed the bow. he stopped behind a pine for just a few seconds, enough time to hook up and get ready. I realize he is going to be in the ranged spot in just a few seconds. I draw and let him come into the opening, I stopped him with a bleat. he turns his head towards me and the arrow is on its way

the impact sound is loud, a hard hit. he takes off on a 900 mile an hour straight run into the 8 feet high frag. I listen and the noise stops for 3 seconds and starts again and then it sounds like he might of crashed

04-Nov-15
I text my hunting partners the I hit one and it's in the frag knowing it's gonna be tough finding him. I get no text back. found out later my text were going out but none were coming in to me. Teeton was on his way but I had no idea he was coming

04-Nov-15
I get down in awhile and get the tree stand gear off and put marsh stuff on I get to the spot of the shot and don't see an arrow. not good. see no blood. 40 yrs away I find blood. I trailed it 100 yet into the tallest deepest frag known to mankind. I lose the trail and teeton shows up. we follow some more and lose it again. Ed swings around on a small trail looked to his left for blood turns aroun and there he is 2 feet from him

Bill v

05-Nov-15
Congrats again Bill..

05-Nov-15
thanks RC

as you can see I was lucky. he never made a sound, if I didn't get up to range he may have passed by without me even knowing it

the shot was a little high. hit the top of both lungs and took out part of the backbone. they are tough cookies

that thing ran like a bullet train through 10 foot high frag

05-Nov-15
the sikas have been whistling really good

gene and Roman are getting closer by the sounds of thier reports

Roman is hooked and already making plans to come back. it is addicting.

Wed. teeton went to the stag woods to sit my stand. nothing seen. I sat the wallow woods in the morning and saw nothing too

05-Nov-15
we had 2 stands in the wallow woods. so I took one down to move it

that afternoon I went out into the marsh. which is were I am now. (thur)

05-Nov-15

bill v's embedded Photo
bill v's embedded Photo
had deer whistling close last night but saw none

here's a pic of the view I have. can see a mile or more in many directions

05-Nov-15
8:45. Thursday morning. very quiet. as I'm writing "quiet" I hear a whistle in the distance

05-Nov-15
Nice job Bill. Just one question: what is "frag"?

05-Nov-15
Looks like you'd need an airboat to track a deer in that swamp!

05-Nov-15
Rut I think he's referring to phragmite its a wetlands reed, it's an invasive species around here not sure about where they are hunting

05-Nov-15
yes rut. treerat at is correct

I sat until 11 am today. saw 3 hinds. 200 yards

the other 3 saw nothing

I put teeton in that swamp stand and I'm sitting the wallow woods

well see how this goes. I'd really like to see teeton get a shot

05-Nov-15

bill v's embedded Photo
bill v's embedded Photo
this afternoon was more eventful then most

gene saw a hind and nearly got a shot off

Roman had deer very close in the drag but it did not exit the drag

Teeton heard lots of whistles from the marsh stand but had no sightings

then there's me. if I had a crystal ball Teeton would have been in the stand I sat

I had a beautiful 4 point standing 20 yards for 5 minutes broadside. I'll post a picture

06-Nov-15
Thanks Bill. That's COOL! :) OK- another question: Is a "hind" a female?

06-Nov-15
yes (doe)

Friday morning. windy and overcast. no sightings and not much whistling. Teeton is in the stag woods stand. gene is in the marsh stand and I'm in the wallow wooits pretty windy. doesn't feel like a good day to sit

06-Nov-15

RC's embedded Photo
RC's embedded Photo
Ah quit your crying ya big sissy pants:)

06-Nov-15
Congrats Bill, way to go. nice pics.

Pat

06-Nov-15
Great job Bill!

06-Nov-15
the day ended with no sightings. it's pretty warm and they're not moving out of the frag much.

tomorrow morning Is the last hunt.

Roman had to leave today, the young man took the cooking duties and did a great job, I think he even suprised himself

thanks for cooking Roman

looks like rain tomorrow and a little cooler, maybe that will shake things up

we only have 2 stands up now. I'm going to hunt from the ground in a spot we used to call the popcorn machine

07-Nov-15
Good luck guys!!

BSked

07-Nov-15
Where are you guys staying?

07-Nov-15
Great hunt Bill, thanks for sharing!

08-Nov-15
wish I had more notice for the trip.As it worked out I was just getting home from Wyoming.If your going ext year,let me know soon before I plan my western hunts/draws.Love sika hunting and its been 20 years since I've been out congrats on a great buck

• Sitka Gear