BabyBowman 04-Nov-15
Silent Snipe 04-Nov-15
DeltaTracker 05-Nov-15
SoDakSooner 06-Nov-15
Okiebowdoc 07-Nov-15
habitatlover 08-Nov-15
Stinkbait1 09-Nov-15
04-Nov-15
So I am finally getting to go bow hunting for the first time and I bought the Dead Down Wind scent control kit. I was wondering how many days before the hunt should I start using the stuff? It has washer and dryer stuff, body soap, deodorant, wind checker and the spray.

04-Nov-15
Wash your clothes with it and give it a good sniff. As far as I'm concerned, I think most of it is for the birds. Still smells like something not natural to me. I used sent-away products for years, tried dead down wind for a bit and got winded a lot. I've been using smoke for the last two years and I think it's a great cover. Killed a coyote this year that came in directly down wind. Have had multiple deer down wind of me and watched them nose up and relax, then hang around my stand for long enough to get a shot if I wanted. I believe a lot of the stuff you can buy is gimmick. I use scent free detergent, then smoke my gear. Play the wind my friend.

05-Nov-15
I've been scent training dogs for a long time, and I can tell you there's absolutely no way to be "scent free". The smoking may work if it tricks the deer in to thinking the human is a further distance, but that would be about it. Got to play the wind and thermals. No way around it.

06-Nov-15
I agree with Snipe and Delta. Play the wind. That said, i do wash in scent free detergent(not necessarily the hunting stuff) and use unscented soap(not the hunting stuff). Can't hurt and it isn't any more expensive.

I have had good luck with smoke as a cover scent as well but am not religious about it.

07-Nov-15
I agree also with hunt the wind i do use dead down wind products think they are the best IMO one thing i do that i think alot of people dont think about before i wash or dry hunting gear is i spray a rag and wipe out washer & drier all that good smelling stuff the wife or mom puts in there is still in it if you dont get it out.

08-Nov-15
i think having a scent killer or a scent block isnt going to hurt anything but always hunt the wind as best you can

09-Nov-15
Using the scent control measures the guys suggested above are all good and certainly don't hurt anything. But, playing the wind is the absolute best way to avoid being detected. I wash my clothes in scent free detergent and hang them outside to air dry. I have the benefit of living on 4 acres and hang my clothes in the woods behind my house. They don't absorb bad odors like car exhaust, etc. I want my clothes to smell like oak, hickory and leaves. Another thing you can do is once dry, hang your clothes in a closet. Put a box full of dry leaves or fresh cut cedar branches in the bottom of the closet. Your hunting clothes will absorb those odors. Just be sure to use whatever is natural to your hunting area. If you hunt where cattle are around, step in a fresh cow flop while walking to your stand. But remember, its ALWAYS best to play the wind.

• Sitka Gear