Jeff in MN 23-Nov-15
Nocturnal8 23-Nov-15
Davy C 24-Nov-15
smokey 24-Nov-15
Nocturnal8 24-Nov-15
Jeff in MN 25-Nov-15
RutNut_@work 28-Nov-15
07-Nov-15
Well I finally got my truck after a week of stress getting my truck back from a friend of mine that was doing body work on it all summer. Well, I got it but half of it is primer and all of it still needs the final coat. Then I took it to my mechanic for an oil change and he noted the front brake pads were down to nothing. Lost another day but I am in Kansas now. I saw what was probably a decent 10 point today but it was taking a permanent nap in the median of I-35 in Iowa.

But I am in the cabin I rented looking at maps and planning where to go tomorrow will be mostly scouting and reacquainting myself with the roads around here. Maybe set a couple of stands. My partner gets here Wednesday, he is gun hunting in NW Minnesota opening weekend and Monday. Meanwhile I know some local help if I shoot something too big or too far in for these old legs to drag out.

Word is that small bucks are being seen running around in a few spots. It is about a week too early yet for the big boys to get too careless.

I will post a little as often as possible.

07-Nov-15
Good luck Jeff!

07-Nov-15
Gun or crossbow ?

07-Nov-15
Good luck Jeff, this hunt really interests me. Is it public, trespass fee, or knock on doors private?

08-Nov-15
Totally public. Three years ago I did not see much because I was not aware how totally dead movement is out here until the rut. (I was told but didn't believe it could be that bad) I came way too early and shot an average buck veterans day week, about 3 weeks after I got here. So that's why I chose this time to start.

The local guy that helps me some hunts mostly public but this year he is also hunting a lease of some sort. His son got his first buck this year, an 8 pointer.

08-Nov-15
Good luck Jeff!

08-Nov-15

Jeff in MN's embedded Photo
The picture is from a stand I setup this morning. It is in a cedar tree that was trimmed out to fit a hang on stand before I found it 3 years ago. Saw a couple of deer from it last year but none today. I did bump what I think was a doe on my way out for lunch and then set a stand in another spot.

Ended up sitting with the new stand at ground level looking through a tunnel under branches leading to a scrape. Branches way to thick if I went up any higher. Saw one doe in the headlites not far form there on my way back to the cabin.

08-Nov-15
“Gun or crossbow ?”

ruger I looked at the Kansas DNR site and gun season is not open yet so that means Jeff is using a Bow.

if you look at the 2015 Kill thread he states “Arrow flies true and the big one drops to the ground, flops a little and rolls down the birm to the edge of the water.” No one would post that if they were using a crossbow. They would say the bolt files true.

unless they were trying to pass off their crossbow kill as a bow kill. why would you do that?

if the buck dropped to the ground that means it was a spine hit and there is no way someone using a scoped crossbow would hit a back bone unless they are a very poor shot.

so we have to conclude that Jeff is a bow hunter not a crossbow hunter.

jeff?

08-Nov-15
Jeff ? :-)

08-Nov-15
"unless they were trying to pass off their crossbow kill as a bow kill. why would you do that? "

Ha Ha Ha Ha. Its happening every day. Ive talked to so many guys telling their stories about their "bow" And they keep using the word bow and bowhunting. They they come clean and admit they are really using a crossbow.

09-Nov-15
Jeff and I have been on Bowsite together for over 16 years. I know Jeff uses a crossbow for medical reasons. I did not know what season was going on n Kansas. Gun or bow.

09-Nov-15
OK, Swampcreek and Ruger have ratted me out. Somewhere around 15 years ago I had a bear hunting related accident, 55 gallon barrel of grease on a moving cart fell on me when I sliped and pinned me under it and against a trailer. I hollered and waited for help for a long time and eventually tried to bench press it off me. I felt tears right then. Help eventually found me and I went through rehab from a chiropractor who swore it was not a tear. Then a month or so later while limbing out a bear stand I felt another tear. Eventually had surgery and 2 of the 5 muscles were totally tore, a third was significantly tore. They put grafts in, then during rehab I am pretty sure the therapist caused another minor tear. The surgeon is the best Mayo Clinic had and about 5 years later he said my tears were among the worst 10 he had ever done and all he does is shoulders. He added I was doing better than any of those 10. I still cannot do much of anything out in front of me or up above chest high with that arm.

I have handicapped permits for Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa, and Colorado. Other states recognize those other permits. Because of legalizing xbows or my age I no longer need permits in some of those states. Kansas no longer requires a permit like Wisconsin.

OK now for crossbows. They are not what they are cracked up to be. I hate them. They are heavy, hard to maneuver through the woods, and very heavy front end so once you bring it up they are hard to hold up long unless you have a bench rest like they do on TV. I have owned 4, one got stolen, I shot over a BIG bear at under 20 yards because that bow occasionally threw an arrow way high. Figured that out the next day practicing at camp. Then found the arrow I missed with and lined that up from the stand and where the bear stood. I actually thought I kiilled him and passed him up when he came back a half hour later. Tenpoint blamed it on the scope. The next two tempoints occasionally will throw an arrow off about 4 inches. (yes I call them arrows). In fact just before this trip it was shooting weird and I finally got it tuned in but still have no real trust it will shoot straight. Also nobody knows much about tuneing them, I have had bow shops put the wrong number of turns on the string when replacing them.

I have never taken a shot over 30 yards with one and other than if I ever elk hunt again I probably never will. They do not shoot as good as they make it look on TV. Yes the buck I shot a few weeks ago was dead center spine hit, another shot gone at least 4 inches high.

I actually brought two crossbows with me because I don't trust them to shoot good. I would so much rather be using my old Mathews that was brand new at the time of the shoulder injury, It has never been in the woods hunting. I have tried to use it a few times but for practical purposes I can't. I have to tie a rope to my hand, tie it to a tree behind me and push the riser forward using the rope to draw. Letting off once drawn, don't think I could do it. Another method I have tried is hooking my thumb behind my neck and pushing the bow forward. Just does not seem too safe and again, doubt I could let it down.

Heck, my archery club that I am a life member of won't even let me practice on their range either. I took them out of my will after that.

So, there, now your inquiring minds are full of the answers. Blast me all you want, get me kicked off bowsite, whatever, I don't care. The only other thing I will say in this thread will be about the Kansas hunt. Please show some respect and let me get some enjoyment out of this hunt. It is daylite out, great weather and here I am writing this instead of being out there.

Swampcreek, you should go do some real fishing instead of fishing on bowsite.

Ruger, I know you well enough that I still think you are a good guy and good for bowsite.

09-Nov-15
Good luck Jeff, even though you physically can't use the method you'd prefer you are still out there doing what you love. It is a medical reason that caused you to have to switch not just an attempt to make it easier. There is no shame in that. I will be following along and rooting for you.

09-Nov-15
Jeff, I don't care what weapon you are using, I'd like to hear how your hunt is going. Good luck.

09-Nov-15
Jeff I like hearing about your hunts and stories and being physically unable is just what I thought the cross bow should be for. It keeps you in the woods and doing what you love. Seeing way too many fit guys in their 20's and 30's carrying them around.

09-Nov-15
Jeff I hear you. I went with xbow this year in WI because of a minor injury in my non dominant shoulder. I have since rehabbed it pretty well and likely will be able to go back to vertical next year...which I'm going to do...I thought I was going to like the xbow...and for some things I do...but I quickly realized this year that for many of my archery setups it offers no advantage. I have a new Tenpoint...The dang thing is heavy, it is loud, it eats center servings for breakfast, it's a b##tch to carry into and out of the stand, it has zero chance for a follow up shot...the factory arrows from Tenpoint are okay at best..I had fliers like you describe until I ordered custom made arrows for it...The Tenpoint scope is 'meh' in terms of quality (low light capability is pretty bad) ... The only situations I like the xbow for are 1) ground hunting from public land where I can sit in a natural ground blind and not have to hump in a stand to setup 2) some stands I have in open hardwoods that have a solid shooting rest where the deer will cruise by at 30 to 40 yards....

Good luck on your hunt...I love following public land DIY hunts

09-Nov-15
Jeff - I have a buddy who almost died in an industrial accident. He, too, would prefer to be hunting with his bow, but doesn't want to give up his time in the woods either.

I'm not sure what anyone hoped to gain by "ratting you out" with their investigative journalism. The revelation that you are continuing to enjoy your hunts in spite of your injury is good news to me.

I hope you have a great hunt and look forward to following your posts to this thread as well as others in the future.

09-Nov-15
Have a great hunt Jeff. I'm looking every day to see if there's a report on how the hunt is going. Dont let people drag you down.

09-Nov-15
Enjoy the time in God's great outdoors Jeff, looking forward to checking back to see how it's going.

09-Nov-15
Hope you get the big one Jeff.

09-Nov-15
I know a little about X-Bows too. They are as Jeff said and worse. I do, do almost all of my hunting with a compound bow but did try a X-Bow this year and am back to the old Jennings Arrow Star. Go get-um Jeff.

09-Nov-15
Did not know your situation Jeff and as you know, I don't judge people on weapon of choice or the deer they shoot. I said since day 1 the whole xbow thing is much adieu over nothing. I am glad you and others are providing some actual real world data for people. Most come on here and tell you their 6 year old is hitting bull every shot from 50 after sighting in one shot. 'Nuf on that.

Looking forward to watching this thread. I wish you the best of luck in Kansas. Post lots of pics please!

09-Nov-15
good luck Jeff- deer are rutting around Hayward as we speak! Maybe you can get one and get back home and nail one here-I shot a nice 9 pointer yesterday!

09-Nov-15
Where's the Kansas hunt?

09-Nov-15

Where did that picture come from, it is not what I posted or anything that I have on my computer. I have seen that happen to other people, Pat must have some sort of timing issue that mixes up pics between different peoples posts. Typical of the way today went for me.

-----------------------------------------------------

Thanks for all your stellar posts, quite the opposite of what I was afraid I might hear.

Gusto, tell me more about your custom 'arrows'. PM me if that sounds better than posting. You are right, hunting on the ground is the only benefit I have seen with the xbow. Just yesterday I sat on the ground under some cedar trees watching a scrape 15 yards in front of me. Ended up with leg cramps when I got up on my knees to crawl out from under that tree. No way I could have done that with a vertical bow.

Pete, I am south of Nebraska, west of Colorado, north of Oklahoma, and west of Missouri. ;-)

Now for todays hunt. It wasn't a hunt, more of a wasted day that turned bad in the afternoon. The picture is a cool washed out old bridge I came upon. Thought it was interesting.

The day started out late so I decided to drive and look over some areas that I picked out via looking at maps and google sky views. I put on over 150 miles on the truck and several miles on my Lowa boots. Did not find anything I was excited about. At the last place I got to the truck around 3:00 and was gonna just find a scrape to sit on. Problem, no truck key in my pocket. What happened (pay attention here so you don't do this stupid mistake) the truck key only had a little ring on it and was in my right side pants pocket. My GPS was in the same pocket and I was taking it out frequently to help me decide where to look. I get back to the truck and no truck key. Then I remembered one time I took the gps out the pocked turned inside out most of the way. That had to be where I lost it. Long story short, AAA screwed up and dispatched a tow truck instead of a locksmith like I told them I needed. Tow truck calls to be sure they had good directions and would be on their way. Of course he says all he can do is open doors and tow. So, I call AAA back, checked and no locksmiths in the area so they transferred me to a Dodge dealer. They made a key from the VIN but by now the tow truck is a quarter of the way to me. So, tow truck takes the truck to my cabin, goes to town, picks up the key and brings it out to me. AAA said they would pay for the extra cost of the key delivery. They better.

Positive note, I got some scouting done and the weather was great.

Tomorrow has to be a much better day.

09-Nov-15

This is hopefully the pic that went with the previous post. I wish I had shot the buck above.

09-Nov-15
Where's the Kansas hunt? ;-)

09-Nov-15
Pete, do I have to spell it out for you? The Kansas hunt is in Kansas. Sort of SW of Wisconsin. ;-)

09-Nov-15
I'd bet if you can raise a heavy crossbow to shoot it, you can pull a 30# bow.

10-Nov-15
The problem is with my right shoulder and most of the weight of an xbow is in my left hand. But maybe I could pull 30, have not tried it. I am thinking that letting down might still be an issue.

10-Nov-15
Jeff, I knew the situation and I have no problem with you since you get it, hunting is important to you and you are an ethical hunter not trying to to fool anyone.

Good luck to you.

10-Nov-15
Crossbow now??? Next you will be telling us that you don't live in MN and you love wolves!

Sometimes sarcasm doesn't translate well to the interweb - there was sarcasm above.

If you enjoy hunting and can hunt now with a crossbow (or rifle or spear) and it is legal, who cares what a bunch of anonymous forum posters might say? Life is too short. Keep posting your hunt and send me a note when in MN and need a huge deer hauled out.

BTW - Animal grease = 7.28 lbs/gallon x 55 gallons = 400 lbs. That would have been a heck of a bench press.

10-Nov-15
I have elk hunted with Jeff in Colorado and let me tell you first and foremost Jeff is a hunter and one I am proud to call a friend. Yes he was using his crossbow back then.

10-Nov-15
One argument against crossbows is that they're "too easy" or "too accurate" etc. And why would that be a bad thing in areas with plenty of whitetails? I'd rather see someone place an arrow/bolt accurately than hear yet another "hit and lost 'em" story at the gym, store and everywhere else I've heard them already this year. Some talk about how poor the accuracy was with recurves back in the day, but we have 2x the bowhunters today, better equipment and scouting tools and more targets (which equals more shots). I know nobody goes out there with the intent on wounding a deer, but it may be one of the reasons populations haven't jumped faster. Old studies found 15-18 percent wounding rate, bow and gun. Am not aware of any newer ones, though I'd guess Camp Ripley still does exit surveys (with much depending on honesty of those interviewed and ability of those looking for wounded/not found whitetails in the days and weeks to come).

10-Nov-15
And next thing you know we'll find out his name isn't really Jeff! LOL!

Good luck Jeff!

10-Nov-15
Can we let this go and not turn it into another Debate on cross bows. A member here is in another state on an adventure and is kind enough to let us tag along. Let's sit back and enjoy. Can we?

10-Nov-15
+1 Drop Tine. Too many feel the need to belittle others for their weapon of choice or in this case necessity. I'm looking forward to following Jeff's adventure.

10-Nov-15
Ya Mike and he's from New York City!

Good luck Jeff, If that's your real name.....

10-Nov-15
I stopped at the cabin for a snack on my way to the afternoon spot I think I am going to.

Amoebus: I took second in state (Wisconsin) for power lifting in '72. Held two state records Bench press and dead lift, each was on my third lift and held for about 5 minutes until the other guy beat it on his third lift. So, in the day I could have bench pressed that barrel off because the weight of the other end of the barrel was over the cart wheels.

Morning Hunt Report:

Bumped a deer on the way in, just enough light to see the rump and tail before he got into cover. Looked good size but who knows? Damn squirrel chewed my rope through that I pull my pack up with in two places. Mean hungry squirrels in Kansas. A local friend of mine rattled in a small buck at 10:00.

10-Nov-15
The afternoon was a bust, Took way longer to get where I was going than expected because of some closed roads and I had a hard time finding a spot to sit and settled for a poor spot but sometimes a poor spot works out better than you expect it to but not today. Dang the 'brush' in many of these draws around here are really hard to walk through. Shooting through it is impossible over about 10 yards in many places.

Gonna be cold next two days but worse than the cold it is going to be quite windy.

10-Nov-15
All I want to know is was there ever another man on this earth that was taken out by a bear bait barrel?

We have been telling you for years that baiting is dangerous. This is a fine example of that.

11-Nov-15
Wind right now, 5:51 AM is 20, gusts 29. Increasing till quitting time to 32, gusts of 45. Tomorrow predicted in the 16/25 range all day. Think I will take a rest day today and hunker in. I know with the rut the deer might still move some especially with temps dropping over night but this buck won't be unless I change my mind later. I probably will do some road recon later, might have to load some ballast weight in the truck to keep it on the ground.

11-Nov-15
Gusts of 45. If you are in a tree, you have to factor in lead for both you AND the deer.

On the other hand, you probably know where your scent is going.

11-Nov-15
Good luck jeff

11-Nov-15

I did get out this afternoon. Totally new area to me and I came across the HUGE scrape in the picture. You can see the tree branches at the top of the pic and the darker color below them is about 8 separate scrapes all in a row. Sat till quitting time, nothing.

There were tons of turkey talking behind me and I started wondering if the scrapes might be them digging for some sort of nuts from whatever kind of tree that is. But the only scraping is on the grass under the drip line of those lower branches. If it were turkey I would have thought everything would be tore up.

There is a guide service that I drive by, a few days ago there was a very average 10 point being skinned, not much mass and only to the ears. Tonight there was a heavier wider 10 point being skinned so I stopped by. The clients all saw bucks chasing in that wind. What a difference private land hunting makes.

11-Nov-15
Jeff, you need to quit lollygagging around and start getting into deer. Don't make me have to come down there, I have that one buck in Sawyer county to go hunt in 10 days.

12-Nov-15
Sorry LTH but I think that buck Smokey shot is the one you were going to hunt.

12-Nov-15
My buck was in Bayfield CO. so LTH is good to go!

12-Nov-15
Go gett'm Jeff.

12-Nov-15
Thank god smokey, Ive been looking for that buck for few years now. Jeff, I just watched a show where they were hunting Kansas, I wont tell you what they saw. You'll get them as long as you quit screwing around buying new truck keys.

12-Nov-15

Another day without much for results. Nothing to take a pic of so this pic from a couple days ago is of an old RR bridge. The tracks are no longer used. That bridge is over 20' high plus the dirt over the top of the bridge itself. The RR builds things strong.

I sat all morning over the mega scrape in yesterdays post. Nothing seen but birds. I did put up a camera so we'll see what night visitors I am missing. Then I checked out a spot that I saw lots of action at 3 years ago (including being challenged by a buck in brush on my way out) and basically no sign to be found this year. Bailed out of there and went to another spot that was decent sign last time but not as much this time although I did bump a doe that stoped and looked at me from 50 yards. Saw 3 more doe in that area grazing in some sorghum after dark while driving out.

My local buddy says he thinks things will pop in a couple days when the bucks that are locked down with their first doe finish up and look for another one. He also says Thanksgiving week is the best week of all for big bucks moving. Most doe are bred by then and the big ones still want to find more that are ready. So much for Wisconsin gun season. I have been invited to Thanksgiving dinner here, yippie... Maybe fresh tenderloins will be part of the menu.

The thing I keep struggling with is that trees here are NOT tree stand compatible. So darn many branches and if you got a stand up you would have to trim a LOT of stuff off the trees around you. Also a lot of areas where trees are not big enough for a stand and are thicker than snot, hard to walk thru those areas. Sharp spears on lots of them too.

13-Nov-15
Now your sight seeing.

13-Nov-15
I KNOW the hunting is better on the other side!

13-Nov-15
At least there are no white caps on the creek. Wind has been a force this week.

13-Nov-15
You should be hunting in Sawyer County. Bucks are on the move and we got 3" of snow and the wind was not a problem here.

13-Nov-15
Jeff,

I don't give a flying monkey's butt what weapon you use to hunt, as long as you are doing it legally, and hunting ethically. Pay no mind to the internet trolls who like to puff their chests at the rest of us on this site.

I wish you the best in your Kansas hunt.

13-Nov-15

I saw two bucks today while on stand. Might have been the same one twice, once in late morning and once mid afternoon, small 6 point. He was actually afraid to go near the doe decoy. I think he has had his butt kicked by larger bucks tending does. The pic is from that stand.

Nice day, 28 in the morning and 50 or so by noon. Very little wind, finally. Here is a pic from the stand I setup at noon, I had been sitting on the ground at that location until then..

15-Nov-15
Yesterday was busy. Walked a lot in early morning. Then on my way to an afternoon stand I see a big deer running full tilt over the horizon 300 yards ahead of me. Grabed for the binos but not fast enough to see his rack. I drive ahead to where he probably crossed the road and here my local friend and his friend are coming out of a thicket where the buck came from. His buddy had shot it earlier and they jumped it. They had lost blood way before and only knew it was him because they saw blood on the side of it when they jumped it. Looked longer and no go. What are the odds I would drive by just then, not even knowing they were hunting there.

I bumped a doe and a small buck while walking yesterday.

Today. Setup a stand and hunted it. Did not see anything and moved it about 150 yards at lunch time. Then drove to another spot and a doe runs across the road, I reach for binos expecting a buck behind her and sure enough a decent buck but did not get the binos up fast enough to see it good. Later in the day partner sees a nice buck cross that road in the same spot. Pattern happening here....

I parked the truck near there and headed to where I thought the buck I saw came from. I am walking across a open field to a ridge and at the base of the ridge an 8 pointer and 2 doe jump out of a small patch of tall grass 40 yards in front of me. They were at the base of the ridge I was headed to.

Constant south winds here lately, gonna continue, it sucks but it is also comfortable hunting in 60 degrees.

Probably gonna rain toward quitting time tomorrow so might not hunt all afternoon.

15-Nov-15
Sounds like you are having fun Jeff. I really like following this thread. It's more exciting than my hunts lately;)

16-Nov-15
Jeff Like checking the site every morning and reading the posts!! Have fun enjoy the hunt!!!

16-Nov-15
5:00 AM, wind howling, sustained 20 with gusts to 30 all day. Heading back to bed for a while.

16-Nov-15
Well, we hung around the cabin all morning. Washed clothes, slept, ate. Headed out in the afternoon to scout an area where we had seen bucks go into but did not find any spot that looked better than the other thousand acres around it.

From there we were on our way to check out another area when I see a doe running toward the road ahead of us. Then the BUCK behind her, he was definitely a shooter. Expected him to follow the path of the doe and cross in front of the truck which is now stopped with binos in hand. He did not cross but doubled back, there was a curve in the road we thought he would run to and circle around ahead of us to the doe but he didn't. So we bailed out and took stands along the edge of the brush in the drainage the doe ran into thinking he would eventually try to get back to her. We sat till quitting time and nothing. He either circled way around us or found another doe to play with. Partner did see a doe leave the drainage the first doe went into, not sure if she was a different one or the same one looking for her boyfriend. Either way, no buck following her.

Then went for supper at my friend's house in the area and picked his brain for some more tips to hunting this area. Way different approaches than we are used to.

Good chance of rain tomorrow and definitely more south wind with warm temps.

17-Nov-15

Kansas has some tough country to walk, scout, and cover. You go from grass so tall you couldn't see a deer until they stood up to thick cedar in the drains. (see pic) People carve out openings in the cedars to set stands in. Works good, you can climb the branches and the cedar behind you not only breaks up your outline but the cedar smell helps as a cover scent.

Today, started out raining so got a late start. Then the dirt roads were really slick especially where there were puddles. Saw 8 toms, that was it. Pulled the camera that was on that mega scrape, just one deer pic, a very average 8 pointer.

Partner saw 3 doe walking together in range. Did not shoot in hopes that a buck was with them. (doe tag for any unit that allows doe comes with your license) Also saw a buck with 3 points on one side and either a broken beam on the other side, or somehow it just grew that way.

Oh ya, your main license is for two units. You pick a main unit for the draw and then pick a secondary unit. You can hunt both. So, you apply with your main selection for the easiest of the two units to draw. Or if you only want to hunt one unit then I guess you pick that one first.

18-Nov-15
People in the cabin next to us got 1 pheasant and some quail yesterday. The day before they said hunting was poor. They are serious hunters, 8 dogs and from Virginia. Ran into some locals on opening day Saturday with 12 dogs in their van, they got 4 quail that day. Both groups said they wanted to see some birds more for the dogs than to shoot them. Ya right, then why carry the guns along.

18-Nov-15
Slow day for me, sat all day and only saw squirrel and turkeys. A few drops of rain from time to time but didn't really rain much till we were driving back to the cabin.

My partner saw a 6 pointer in range in the morning. Later on he had a shooter in range but could not get a shot, I will let him tell the story if he chooses to.

19-Nov-15
Jeff, no fair sending that Kansas wind up here;)

19-Nov-15
The bird hunters did see a nice buck but like 40 miles north of me in a zone my license is not valid. They did not mention any sign but I did not ask either. They jumped 5 coveys yesterday in about a half day of hunting. (truck trouble the rest of the day) They headed back to Virginia today.

Sorry RutNut we had that wind long enough, your turn.

Now for todays stories. I sat a stand that I set and sat in the morning a couple of days ago. Buck walks left to right over 100 yards out, he is a maybe. Starting to angle away so I rattle and he pretends he doesn't hear it. Angles farther into some little thicker stuff and makes him hard to see. I could see he stopped so I used the big can call and that got him to turn toward me and slowly skirt past me at about 40 yards and into some cedars behind me, think he went away from me on a that finger of the drain I was on. Pretty sure he was a 10 point but never saw G1's. Looked average for a 10, not a lot of mass, spread, or height. Was almost glad he did not stand in front of me I might have been too tempted. (Footnote, I hung that stand and sat it that morning then moved it 130 yards for future hunts, as in today, that buck went right past where I originally set the stand.)

Partner saw 3 doe on the way in, 2 stray dogs, and a bobcat on stand.

BIG hopes for tomorrow. Headed for the area where I shot my buck 3 years ago.

I am glad we are seeing bucks moving around without doe, tells me that hot doe are getting harder to find which is exactly what we expected to happen over the next week.

Also, the wife did better than me today, she killed a possum under our deck. At least one more under there for her to deal with.

20-Nov-15
Jeff, I'm heading to camp. What were the coordinates to your best stand up here again?

20-Nov-15
Good luck. On the hunt

20-Nov-15
L2h, take a left at the Y then the first right. Wait a minute that's my fishing spot. Good luck.

Today was interesting and nice weather. Got in to the spot where I shot my buck 3 years ago. Wind did not support using the same tree so I setup about 15 yards from it. Saw 2 tails across the drain while deciding on a tree and setting up.

Mid morning out of nowhere is a shooter buck on my left at 25 yards. Just a glance told me shoot, I did not wait to count points. Trouble is he didn't even let me get the bow up, just cruised away never stopped never looked back or my way. Wind totally in my favor. Bleeted with a can while I could still see his tail. Then grunted, then rattled. He was gone.

Early afternoon a big doe comes from that same area, walks up toward me and turns the opposite way of the buck. She goes out in front of me at 44 yards and grazed for 15 minutes and just vanished. I thought I would be punching my doe tag on her but not at 44 yards.

Hour before quitting time two small doe or maybe fawns just appeared in some tall grass 60 yards out. They grazed a while and just vanished. At 20 before quitting two turkeys land right above me. Others wanted to but knew something was wrong. I waved the two above me off so I could finish out the day.

My local friend saw a 10 point he would have shot, was chasing a doe and never gave a chance for a shot. My partner saw nothing.

21-Nov-15
Went back to the stand I was on yesterday. Did not see anything. About 2:00 I walked over to the next drainage and ran into a hunter just about where the tree cover ended, went the other way and ran into 3 hunters there. Did not see a lot of sign on the entire walk. I did manage to sit for the last 45 minutes of the day. My partner is headed home tomorrow. I will give it a few more days and see how it goes.

On another note, the guy I usually hunt with up at Hayward shot an 8 pointer this morning.

22-Nov-15

This is what a slick trick 125 does to a yote at 14 yards. Pretty sure it took out both lungs and the back side of the opposite side leg. He hopped about 10 yards before lights out. Cool scenario, He comes walking in a bit jittery as I try to swing the bow over and a squirrel behind the yote starts to make the loudest noise I have ever heard a squirrel make. I assume he is telling all other squirrels to get up a tree fast. It makes the yote look at him and the yote's attention on the rest of the world is gone. It was as if that squirrel was my 'wing man'.

I saw one doe just before sunset.

I also saw a first today. Flocks of Canadian and snow geese have been flying through on a regular basis. One large flock of Canadians flying relatively low had a single snow goose at the second from end position on one leg of the formation. Strange, he looked so out of place, white and so much smaller than the Canadians.

23-Nov-15
I saw an average 8 pointer this morning. Out of range even if I wanted him. Nothing the rest of the day.

Until an hour ago I was planning to head home on Thursday. Was going to sit one stand Tuesday in the AM, pull it, then sit another in the evening, pull it, then pull a third after dark. Then hunt the fourth one all day Wednesday and pull it. But very likely I will hit snow in Iowa and southern MN Thursday afternoon if I travel on Turkey day.

First thought was stay another day but rain forecast here for all day Thursday so no point staying here to hunt that day. Guess I could sleep and watch TV.

Also, getting little burned out after 17 straight days of hunting all day but one morning that was very windy. So, tomorrow will be pulling all 4 stands and hunting a couple of them for a while. Probably gonna put on close to 60 miles pulling them. I have already clocked 950 miles while here. That is just hunting related and a couple trips to town for food and fuel.

Maybe I will change my mind after sleeping on these options.

23-Nov-15
Jeff I admire you! 17 days straight sounds exhausting.

24-Nov-15

Davy C's embedded Photo
Davy C's embedded Photo
This is Jeff's hunting partner. This is a picture of the shooter I had walk behind me at 12 yards but I could not get a shot. He did walk (actually trot) past my trail camera so I have a permanent record of the one that got away. How much to you think he scores?

24-Nov-15
17 days and I bet you enjoyed every minute. Thanks for this thread.

Now if you only knew, they are Canada Geese, only Canadian if the came across the border ;-)

24-Nov-15
Hard to tell Davy. If he has a matching side. Ill say 150's for sure. He looks like a dandy!

25-Nov-15
Well, I am back in Minnesota. But not exactly when/how I was thinking when I wrote the previous post.

I went to bed Monday thinking I would Hunt one stand in the AM, then pull it mid day. Hunt another stand in the PM and pull it at quitting time. Then pull the other two stands in the dark and drive home Tuesday. I woke up before 4:00 AM Tuesday and decided to just pull all 4 stands and be on the road home by 10:00 AM. Well pulling stands went well, pretty easy when you aren't lugging the heavy 'bow' with you or all the other hunting gear. Just me, gps, flashlight, and lineman's belt. Well, just as I go down the hill to pull the last stand the brakes on the truck felt weak. I get the stand out and head for the cabin to pack up and the brakes are getting worse. Well, that was about 9:00 AM. Long story short I had a leaking brake line. Imagine that '97 dodge diesel with 230,000 miles on it. Barely broke in. It took till 4:00 PM to get it fixed. Back to the cabin and was finally on the road at 6:00 PM. So, the entire ride home was in the dark. Took a nap at a Des Moines rest stop and home at 8:00 AM today. It was a looooooong 'day'.

So, here I am wondering if I should grab the bow and head to one of my stands to shoot a Minnesota doe on turkey day. Or watch football and wash clothes to get a head start on being ready for 9 days of gun hunting in Iowa next month.

And thinking about when/if I do Kansas again?

One thing is for sure, Kansas deer do not act like MN or WI deer. The habitat is so vast and so different that it is hard for us MN/WI hunters to think and focus around Kansas deer and Kansas landscape and turn the odds more into our favor.

Oh one more thing. I saw the smallest (November) whitetail I had ever seen while I was pulling stands. That deer couldn't have weighed 30# live. I thought it was a yote when I first saw it. Then 20 miles from there pulling my last stand I saw the smallest deer track I have ever seen.

Smokey, I couldn't tell if those canada geese were Americans or Canadians.

28-Nov-15
This was a great thread to follow Jeff. Too bad you didn't get a big one, but sounds like it wasn't for lack of effort. Sucks that you had truck trouble, but at least it was something relatively simple/easy. Good luck in Iowa.

• Sitka Gear