Passthrough 02-Dec-15
Passthrough 02-Dec-15
stick&string 02-Dec-15
bigbuckbob 03-Dec-15
stick&string 03-Dec-15
stick&string 03-Dec-15
bigbuckbob 03-Dec-15
08-Nov-15
I hunt a small state land spot, and it's all torn up with atv tracks. When I set my cameras out I always end up with pics of people riding dirt bikes, four wheelers, and even a moped out there. Is it even worth reporting this to the DEEP or should I just suck it up?

08-Nov-15
Report it. If it's constant and not just random may teach someone a leason.

08-Nov-15
Just don't rat out the guy on the moped. Sounds like he has it bad enough already

08-Nov-15
ro40c is that small parcel of state land happen to be in killingworth.... last week when i was walking to my stand a young kid drove past me riding a white scooter / moped.... WTF

08-Nov-15
It will not change anything. They will continue to ride there . Even in tge unlikly event of them getting caught. Atv, dirtbikes and mopeds/fat girls are some much fun to ride, a little fine will not stop them. My advice, is deal with it or find another spot.

For what its worth ,the area I hunt is full of atv trails and I saw 4 deer on Saturday. -Duncan

08-Nov-15
We had the same problem at Bristol F & G until we got the cops involved. Take their bikes/quads away and that usually stops them.:)

08-Nov-15
Nope, not Killingworth. Yah, I figured it wouldn't stop anything, why I figured I'd ask opinions. I'm 90% sure it's tr people that own the property pretty much right next to the state parcel's parking lot.

08-Nov-15
If u have pics,deep might/should come out..along with fine they could lose machines..i think no atv,dirt bikes on state land

08-Nov-15
So that's it?? Dude, report them. You have the right to be there and they do not. They are illegal. If you see them, take their picture.

F that. They ruin land, ruin hunts, etc.

Sack up.

08-Nov-15
"dirtbikes and mopeds/fat girls are some much fun to ride"

Yeah but you don't wanna be seen riding the moped nor the fat chick.

09-Nov-15
I have called DEEP for dirt bikes, they came right out to investigate

09-Nov-15
I'd call the Wardens, dealt with them a few times and it was always pleasant and they actually encourage calls like this. You've earned the right to enjoy your hunt in peace.

09-Nov-15
Report it everytime and share the pics/videos with dEEP.

09-Nov-15
Where I hunt the land owners want to stop the atv's from trespassing so I take their pictures and report them every chance I get.

09-Nov-15

Brianbowhunter's embedded Photo
Brianbowhunter's embedded Photo
I had these dirt bags on dirt bikes in willington CT riding through my food plot, They also cut the cables and stole my game cameras. Turn them in and keep complaining.

09-Nov-15
Called today, was told they would have the officer in charge of that area get in touch with me. Didn't hear back from him yet.

10-Nov-15
I hunt state leased land and have written permission from landowner to drive my ATV all over the property. Some guys hate that fact and get pretty angry that I'm allowed to do so but I'm friends with the landowner.

Is this state leased land? The reason I ask is because the state may only have the hunting rights and nothing else.

10-Nov-15
And we wonder why our stands get cut up or stolen. If there r deer they will still be very easily to hunt and pattern. Most states have legal motorized vehicle operation on state land.

11-Nov-15
The only way to stop them is to complain to the cops and follow through what they tell you to do!!It will work if you let them ride it could get worst.Good luck.

11-Nov-15
No it's not state leased land. It's definitely an area where atv use isn't allowed. Still haven't heard back from the DEEP officer in charge of this area. May try calling again.

18-Nov-15
So was out checking my cameras and the guy was back out on dirt bike. Called DEEP and they took my number and location and pretty much hung up on me.

While walking out the guy came down a hill and slammed the brakes on when he saw me. I took a bunch of pictures and he took off. I got to my truck and drove down the road and found the house he parked his bike in front of.

Called DEEP back with address and to tell them I had picture and was rushed off phone again. Never heard from them from the original call a few weeks ago either.

18-Nov-15
Good job.

18-Nov-15
Ro

I would try the cops instead of the DEEP. The whole situation stinks and I hate it when people do this. A few winters ago I had snow mobiles running through my back yard in the middle of the night at high speeds.

One night I heard them coming while I was getting out of the car so I grabbed a big flashlight and a bat and met them in them in the backyard. I told them I didn't mind them cutting through but they needed to go slow. Never saw them again.

18-Nov-15
I was debating trying the state police, but I know that DEEP jurisdiction is the state land and private land is state police. If I don't hear anything in a few days, I may try emailing the director of DEEP and letting him know how it's been handled. Worked with state department of revenue when I was being double billed on taxes. Figured it was a long shot to call and email the director, but situation was handled the next day.

18-Nov-15
Get a grip dude. All the time u r wasting on them you could have had a freezer full of meat. Think about how PITA feels about you hunting. Your acting the same as them. We all need to worry about our self. Post this crap else where.

18-Nov-15
Get a grip dude. All the time u r wasting on them you could have had a freezer full of meat. Think about how PITA feels about you hunting. Your acting the same as them. We all need to worry about our self. Post this crap else where.

18-Nov-15
Seems like you are in the minority with that opinion. I'd love to have a freezer full of meat, but unfortunately with my location and time constraints this very small state property is where I can hunt. I've got cams all over the place and all I see is this ass in his dirt bike, you know what I don't see? Deer. You want him where you hunt? Give me the location and I will pass it on to him. Like it or not, I'm not the one breaking the law here, he is. You don't care about him riding on state land, maybe don't click on the forum post talking about it and you won't be angered by the majority complaining about it. That's like me going to a rap concert and complaining to everyone about how much rap sucks.

18-Nov-15
I'm with you, Troy.... If UNlawful use of state land is preventing you from enjoying Lawful use of the public resource... That's what we pay law enforcement to do, isn't it??

I'd give a non-essential body part to have a huntable chunk of state land anywhere close to home, and I'd protect it just as you're doing.

Don't think I'd waste the effort on the trail cams, though... They're just likely to get stolen, and they don't react quick enough to get decent pics for evidence purposes anyway.... At this stage, you've documented that there IS a problem, so maybe protect yourself from further loss...

19-Nov-15
Stick&String

and how do you get a freezer full of meat when dirt bikes are driving off the deer? I also wonder how you treat the land you hunt? We're not supposed to be just someone who kills animals, we're supposed to care about the habitat as well. Dirt bikes tear up vegetation causing erosion, not to mention the noise pollution and safety hazard by speeding at high speeds through the woods.

I have reported guys for cutting wood illegally, poaching on state land, 4 wheeling on state land and permanent tree stands on state land. If it's not legal it should be reported whether you're hunting or not. I'm glad most of the guys on this site don't share your "I don't care" attitude.

19-Nov-15
Stcik&string you are the problem and you are and idiot. PERIOD STFU. If you dont like what someone posts keep it to yourself.

19-Nov-15
Well, I got a call back from the DEEP officer. She seemed happy that I had pictures and the address of the house he went to. Emailed the pictures, don't know if anything will come of it but I'm at least glad they got back to me this time.

19-Nov-15
If you know where the person lives riding the bike what's wrong with actually going and talkong with him? It apparently worked in thw snowmobile instance described above. Dont really know why people feel that have to immediately call the police or state for something that may be easily resolved with a discussion. Clearly the deep and police aren't the solution. Wake up and realize they could care less about the situation as is often the case. I have had repeated trespassers tried years back to report and nothing was done. Even if they catch the rider ypu thknk any court is going to put the rider in jail until ypu dont want to hunt there evwr again? Ok they may take the persons bike but think they have another or its more than one person?

19-Nov-15
Oneeye that is another issue. I have personally tried to talk to people before going to authorities about this exact thing happening somewhere else. I was Told to go f*** myself. It can very easily lead to a confrontation and this would not be good for someone with 2 kids under the age of 2.(or anyone for that matter) With how many people have no respect for people or anything. Who knows who has a gun, weapon, drunk, or on drugs. The outcome of that happening is worse. He is doing what he should do. He is using the police and DEEP which is what the taxpayers/hunters pay for. They should be doing their job. Taking the bike and fines should be in order.

19-Nov-15
I hadn't found out where they lived until after the second call to the DEEP. Had I then entered his property to confront him, and something happened, it could very easily look like I was harassing him or looking for trouble. Trust me, had he stopped on the trail and asked why I was taking pictures of him, I would have made it very clear to him why I was. But going onto his property to confront him would have landed ME in trouble and not him.

19-Nov-15
I agree Ro40c, you did the right thing.

probably 95% of the time, nothing would happen if you knocked on his door, but that 5% of the time, watch out.

He has probably been doing it a while and so accustomed to riding there that its not even illegal in his mind anymore.

19-Nov-15
My two cents: All these trespasses should be reported (and I too have called DEEP on atv/dirt bike riders on state land) because it at least calls attention to the problem. Like Passthrough said, there is very little respect for other people and property these days and it gets worse every day. What is the purpose of law if it is not enforced? Every day I see drivers running red lights, stop signs, parking in fire lanes, operating at night with missing lights/no lights etc. After a while people do whatever they like. And please don't give me the ignorance excuse. I'm in a hunting group on FB and yesterday I saw a guy posting and bragging about two(gun)shot, two kills ON STATE LAND!!!! WTF???

19-Nov-15
Ro

that's great that they got back you, and NO, confronting them yourself is not a good idea. I did it with the snow mobilers because they were on MY property. All the problems I've run across on state land were reported to the authorities first.

Only once did I approach a guy who was turkey hunting on state land because I knew who he was and wanted to let him know I was calling the TIPS line because he did NOT have a permit for that zone. He was caught later that week and given a summons. IT does work.

19-Nov-15
Heard from DEEP officer again. They went to the house and I guess it was a teenager out on the bike. He was supposedly given a "substantial fine" and a "stern talking to by his father and the officer."

And from now on I'm sure I will need to set a cam on my truck when I'm in the woods, haha, but hopefully he stops riding on state land.

19-Nov-15
Excellent, nice work.

19-Nov-15
bbb I have no problem filling freezer in any situation as long as there's deer there. I can help you if you would like. As far as you questioning my care for our environment it's my life passion! And RO I will gladly share my harvest with since you are so very busy with your family or wait mayby if you were so family oriented you would not waste ur time chasing kids on bikes. If you have the gull to call the cops you should have the gull to confront them, they told you it was a kid because she was tell you that ur spineless. As for passthrough you should take your own advice you half wit. pass though do need a hug I'm here for ya. I forgive you. Gentleman I can under stand your thoughts but being angry because someone is on a bike , hike , motorcycle or something you say hurts your ability to harvest deer is an excuse to blame someone else. Try thinking about how this can work to your advantage. As I said before quads and motorcycles are legal in most states on public land and there still harvesting.

19-Nov-15
Sticks, first of all I wasn't chasing anyone I was out checking my cameras and he rode up on me. Secondly I had already called DEEP by the time I would have had a chance to confront him, which I can assure you I would have had the GALL, it's gall by the way moron, to confront him. As for being spineless, all I know about you is that you're a keyboard warrior, the most spineless of all, I'm not going to go through my resume like list of things that make your spineless comment laughable, but you can climb out from behind your keyboard at any point to find out if you would like. You seem to like to toot your own horn as some kind of super hunter who can fill his freezer no matter what, and tougher than anyone. Youre a sad little tool that likes to talk shit on a forum because you are spineless and know you're safe behind your computer.

19-Nov-15
^^^^x2!! Well said Ro. sticks you really are showing your true colors. YOUR A TOTAL TOOL. If the environment was your life passion you would care about the about the subject at hand rather than tooting your own horn.

19-Nov-15
We got a tough guy on here guys, be careful! Sticks thinks people who do the right thing are spineless...watch it. Real tough guy

19-Nov-15
Wow I don't think I'm a tuff you sound like the tuff guy here. im not hide from anything I would tell you to your face ur spineless. It's a hunting forum don't post ur spineless dirt bike problem if you can't handle constructive criticism because you can't think for your self. So if you do the right thing why ask what should I do on a forum. The right thing! I bet you would not have cared less if you saw a dirt bike any where else besides ur hunting spot. As for filling my freezer making me tuff. Never herd of a more simpleton thing in my life. But we can compare our wall hangings.

19-Nov-15
Go back and read your posts, nothing constructive about them. Maybe reread mine too, didn't say you thought you were a tough guy because you filled your freezer, said you like to toot your own horn. Easy for you to say you would say it to my face...from behind a keyboard. Your like a cell warrior, once that door closes your the toughest guy on the block. Your a worthless troll, and I'm done feeding you, stroke your ego some where else, fake tough guy.

19-Nov-15
Come on I was having fun. You must have been on the debate team. I went back and that's exactly what u said. Tuff guy out.

20-Nov-15
^Hey stick if you happen to have read any other threads on the this forum you would have known its his first year hunting. He is trying to be ethical and do the right thing. You telling him to confront someone is wrong and could end up getting him a fine, probation, or jail time for harassment if they wanted to follow through with it. Which IS NOT WORTH IT. This would make all hunters look bad even if he was the only one involved. He has no way of knowing its a kid on the dirt bike. There is no need for people like you to post your nonsense. I hope you realize how much of an jackass you are.

20-Nov-15
Stick&String, I've learned that if one's opinion differs from the law here on the Ct. forum , you will be insulted and berated for expressing it. I happen to agree with you that Calling the authorities for a kid riding on state land is a B.S. thing to do . Best of luck to you. -Duncan

20-Nov-15

notme's embedded Photo
notme's embedded Photo

20-Nov-15

SixLomaz's Link
There is light at the end of the ATV discussion. See the link.

20-Nov-15
BTW Duncan, I had no idea it was a teenager, like I already stated, I had only seen him on my cams with a helmet on when I called, and when I did see him, after calling, he had a helmet on. Oh, and by the way, this "kid" is actually 19 years old. So get over yourself.

20-Nov-15
And I had no problem with him having a different opinion, I did have a problem with his fake tough guy act while being an asshole about it.

20-Nov-15
this is a family forum and typing curse word is not cool. many young kids read this page looking for hunting advice, mine included. That's the problem with the this interweb thing. While you read his comments as being a tough guy or negative. I read them as good advice. I feel that anyone who Snitches, rats, calls the police for something as simple as riding a dirt bike in the woods is weak, wimpy wussy, mamby pamby,and wasting their time. if it was bothering you, then man up and confront the guy. Stop him and tell him how you feel. - Duncan

And if you ever need help getting a deer out feel free to give me a call . I'd be glad to help. I'm getting good at dragging deer. In the three years I've dragged out 4. I haven't shot any but I'm good at dragging. you could PM me for a cell number or email me At Limeymotors@yahoo,com

20-Nov-15
"Simple as riding a dirtbike in the woods" simply put its illegal. Let me tell you something about weak. Weak is not being able to abide by the laws and find ways around them. Weak is you setting a bad example for you son. Teaching him to let people break laws. What a joke. Let's put it this way you may understand. when your son hunts alone eventually and decides to confront someone doing these ILLEGAL things and get his ass kicked for doing the wrong thing how would you feel. Or better yet he gets arrested for harassment/trespassing for trying to confront someone he never should have attempted to contact. Do people honestly have no brains anymore? You never know who you are dealing with. Laws are there for a reason.

20-Nov-15
Ro40c, keep your head up, you have the right to enjoy the woods and hunt with the peace of mind that comes with it. Connecticut law doesn't allow for the use of motorized vehicles on public land, it doesn't matter what "Duncan" or "stick & string" think of you for calling the DEEP. If you take the chance on confronting the guy, while armed, no less, it could go "south" real quick or what if he goes home and tells someone you threatened him. Let the proper authorities handle it, you're in the right on this one and no explanation needed. Best of luck to you!!

20-Nov-15
He asked for an opinion and he got a few of them. Isn't it strange how we all have different opinions just because something is illegal doesn't mean its wrong. there are a lot of laws I don't agree with . How am I teaching my kid to brake the law? since when is keeping your mouth shut, breaking the law? As far as being a tattle Tale, Do you report every car you see driving faster than the speed limit? do you pull over and call the cops for the guy who gases it through a yellow light? Of course you don't, but just keep pretending that you tow the blue line. Unless you're a L.E.O., then ... well... this all makes sense J.M.H.O. -Duncan

20-Nov-15
Next time do what you feel you have to do and do not ask for opinions. It will be easier for you that way. No need to make your action public. One way or the other you are in the wrong as you can see.

This is what happens when deer are in a lull. People get anxious over minute details. Where are the deer? My cameras have no deer pics for almost a week now. Only at one location I got a doe sneaking by on foot (not quad or dirt bike) around 10pm. I am starting to think they all left to apply for a raindeer position with Santa. I bet Santa offers protection and benefits.

20-Nov-15
Stick - filling a freezer doesn't impress me, it's too easy a task. I'm glad you have a passion for the environment, now act upon that passion by encouraging people to protect it. Saying it and doing it are two different things. Words are easy.

I guess if you don't report someone for running a stop sign then you shouldn't report someone for riding a dirt bike either. Interesting. So I wonder if the same would apply if Stick had someone break into his house and steal his possessions, I guess he wouldn't report that either? Not a valid way to argue a point.

When it comes to the law opinions don't matter, if it's illegal it's deemed wrong by the society you live in. If you want to ride a dirt bike in a legal society, then go to the states that allow it. Saying that it's ok because it's done elsewhere is like saying it's ok to bind the feet of children as is done in China,.... try in the USA and see what happens.

20-Nov-15
I wasn't even askin right or wrong, like Duncan and stick seems to think I was, I was asking if people thought DEEP would bother doing anything or not. I KNOW the right and wrong of it, that was NEVER in question.

20-Nov-15
Well I'm baffaled by the thought that filling a frezzer is easy. I've hunted every Saturday since the season opened except my wedding day on Oct 3rd, and have yet to take a deer. Ive seen plenty but no shot ops. My season is most likely done due to gun season closing my area to bow hunting. Good thing my dirt bike is running well, And just got the kids Atv's new tires. At least I can use the state land for something during gun season. Ro40c where do you hunt again?-Duncan

20-Nov-15
^^^and that right there is the maturity level of people who think the laws aren't for them to follow. Keep setting a good example for your kids on following the law. After just asking "how am I teaching my kids to break the law?" Haha

20-Nov-15
SARCASM

: a sharp and often satirical or ironic utterance designed to cut or give pain

a : a mode of satirical wit depending for its effect on bitter, caustic, and often ironic language that is usually directed against an individual b : the use or language of sarcasm

Ro40c, you don't know me yet but I often argue the other side of an opinion on this forum. because most here are very one sided and it's easy to get them fired up. Just look up my threads on "Proxy hunting" of "I'm against Sunday hunting". oh and I'm just jealous that you got a deer your first year out . it makes me feel like less of a man. Remember it's just the interweb now carry on with your tattle telling self. -Duncan

20-Nov-15
Duncan

I'm not sure Ro said "filling the freezer is easy", but I did say that. When we went to my stand last year I believe you had a an opportunity every time out, right? It was only your inexperience that kept you from scoring, whereas experience is something that I have TOO much of. :)

Killing deer has never impressed me. I've had plenty of killing shot opportunities over the years. I only took one deer in 16 years because I chose not to shoot anything but mature bucks, so the killing part is not something I'm after.

And I agree with Ro that encouraging anyone, kids or adults, to engage in an illegal activity is not good mentoring. And, it's at the heart of why we parted ways,.....just some food for thought.

20-Nov-15
You're right Bob, Housatonic River WMA is a great area full of deer. the very first time out we saw deer. now if I was only calmer I would of hit that doe instead of missing her. but its a good thing because only moments later you got your 16 year buck. and what a trophy it was. the other time we went to hunt Kent together there were no shot ops but I did get to see the buck chase the doe across the river and right under my stand at a full sprint. I enjoyed that also, so you see I'm not about killing either. It's the experience I enjoy. I wasn't aware that we part ways since we still pm back and forth but I'll let you be now that I know. Thanks again for the lessons. - Duncan

20-Nov-15
Duncan you have to spell it out for them . They don't understand sarcasm. You are right we are not in the cool kid group. RO I will also help you drag anytime or better yet I will take you hunting. BBB there must be a generation gap because you did not get the point at all about filling a freezer. As for some one breaking into my house that is a poor example my friend. I would love to get parenting lessons from the 3 of you. I seen my sons friend sneaking a cigarette walking down the street. Should I confront him and his parents of my observation no I can't do that it's illegal I must call the cops he is not over 18. JMO

20-Nov-15
string

"bbb I have no problem filling freezer in any situation as long as there's deer there."

So explain to me what you meant by your above statement, because I don't get it I guess.

BTW - sneaking a cig is not illegal, purchasing them is illegal. I certainly wouldn't show them how to smoke, that's not good mentoring and it terrible parenting. You say you have passion for the environment but you're willing to overlook illegal dirt bike activity, so explain why that's ok with you.

Duncan - I'm baffled by your comments on where we hunted last year, is that your way of repaying my kindness? Very disappointed. Also, my comments about "killing" were directed towards String, not you. He was the one bragging about filling the freezer.

20-Nov-15
Bob what are you disapointed about? I didnt say anything negitive about our hunts togather. I enjoyed them. What do you mean by repaying your kindness? Ive thanked you many times. Are you looking for more than a thank you. Im confussed. -Duncan

21-Nov-15
Why would you post "where" we were? If I wanted to share the location of where I hunt I would have posted it on the site. That's what I was referring to.

Doesn't matter now. I went to the new area where I received permission to cross private property and saw 4 deer in the first 100 yards, several great tree stand locations to chose from, turkey sign all over the ground and no one else is in there.

21-Nov-15
Bob you have posted that area on this site before. You and Nev talked about it in much more details than I did. You mentioned seeimg his buddies truck, so you went in to tje areaa differnt way. You two even talked about how close your stands were to each other. I belive it was durning one of your live hunts this year. I ment no harm in this, I was retelling the tale of the hunts we shared, that is all.

Im glad you found another area, best if luck to you. -Duncan

21-Nov-15
Duncan,

neither NEV or I ever posted the name of the state land we were hunting, I never have and never will. You were the only person who I shared my stand with, ever, and I trusted you to respect that trust by not posting it on the site for all to see. I'm sure NEV appreciates it as well.

NEV - if you read this, I saw you there this morning and stayed clear of your stand location. I'll be hunting the new spot where the landowner gave me permission for the rest of the season (not the same forest), so good luck.

21-Nov-15
Ouch ... that hurts BBB ... pretty sure everyone on Facebook knows also

21-Nov-15
Didn't Duncan have a secret honey hole that he takes a canoe in for 45min but is pissed when other people are there..some kind of jiberish

21-Nov-15
Bob ,get over yourself, it's state land, listed on the Deep web sitw and maps. not some super secret private deer den. You and Nev talked about the town and parking area , river,and traintracks. It wouldnt take much tofigure our the name of the area. We never shared a stand togather ,so I dont know what is that comment about? Ive been norhing but thankful and respectful toward you and some how I end up being the bad guy.Im done with this subject. Move along

21-Nov-15
Duncan,

I'm writing off your comments due to your inexperience as a hunter. The one thing you never do is post the location where you're hunting, especially if it's someone else spot.

Yes, it's state land, not some secret spot and all are welcomed, and I also told you the same thing repeatedly on the PMs you sent me as well, I just asked that you don't crowd my stand location. The point you're missing is I'm the one who spent all of the time, scouting, research, and years at this spot pin pointing where the deer are, not you, so that's why I'm a bit upset.

I can get over myself just fine, but what I can't get over is your comments. You need to learn from your mistakes, not bite the hand that feeds.

23-Nov-15
Not trying to fan the flames or beat a dead horse here. If something got under my skin enough I used to confront people on it in the past, having a family and people the rely on me has mellowed me out a lot and I leave it to the authorities now. And this article is a good example of why...you never know who you're dealing with. Pay close attention to the 3rd, 4th and last paragraph.

VERNON — The warrant for Michael Fortin's arrest in the murder of Jason Marchand in Andover in July remains sealed, but the state police investigations into other crimes for which Fortin has been charged provide a glimpse of the case detectives built against him.

Fortin remains jailed on $400,000 bail for the murder of Marchand, an Andover father of two who was gunned down about 10 p.m. July 3 on Lakeside Drive after a confrontation with a man on a motorcycle.

Detectives appear to have gotten a break in the homicide investigation by taking another look at a September 2014 shooting in Andover. In that case a person called the Colchester state police barracks to report a confrontation with a man riding a red and white dirt bike on the rail trail just off Route 6 in Andover.

The person walking on the trail told troopers of telling the motorcyclist that no motorized vehicles were allowed on the trail. The motorcyclist responded by swearing at the person, then riding a short distance away, pulling a handgun and firing it. The person walking on the trail also snapped a photo of the dirt biker.

After Marchand's murder, detectives revisited that nearly year-old case and met with the victim, who described for them where the dirt bike rider fired his handgun. The troopers recovered a 9mm shell casing.

The photo of the dirt bike helped lead detectives to Fortin after several of his acquaintances said the photo was of Fortin.

Another witness told state police of a campsite Fortin frequented in Hebron. A witness told troopers that Fortin often fired his pistol at the campsite, and troopers went there and recovered shell casings that matched the one found on the rail trail.

Detectives also checked stolen gun reports in the Colchester barracks area and determined a 9mm Kahr Arms PM1 had been reported stolen from a Bolton home near Fortin's home in May 2014. The person from whom the gun was stolen told troopers that it had only been fired a few times, but was able to show troopers a place where it was fired. After searching that area, they recovered a shell casing that matched the gun to the rail trail shooting.

Police also checked Fortin's Facebook page and found a photo of several dirt bikes that he possessed, including one that was similar to the dirt bike the person who shot Marchand was riding. Another dirt bike matched the one in the photo taken by the person on the rail trail.

Marchand was shot several times in the chest. Police have not said what kind of gun was used in the killing, but witnesses told state police that Fortin had a semiautomatic pistol that would have expelled shell casings as it was fired.

In addition to the confrontation on the rail trail, a second-degree assault case is pending against Fortin. He is accused of shooting his girlfriend in the eye with a flare gun in February. He is also charged with stealing the flare gun. The wound destroyed the woman's right eye, which surgeons had to remove.

23-Nov-15
This is a whole lot of bad. Duncan, I remember reading about you complaining that your stand broke and how you never saw deer when and wherever you hunted. Bummer man...the horror!

Seems like BBB is taking the high road on this but sometimes you have to lob a few rocks down occasionally. Posting a location, whether public or private is never a good idea, especially when you do someone a favor and let them in on your spot which you have worked hard to scout and patterned.

All in all, dont drive your ATV or Dirtbike on State land or any land youre not supposed to and dont be a jerk to people who have given you a handout (DUNCAN!).

23-Nov-15
Fletch, talk about driving a point home!!!!!!! Point well taken, hear you loud and clear. I remember reading about him getting arrested sometime last week, not knowing it was related to motorcycles on the trails. According to the article, they were arguing in the street and he left, came back on the bike and shot him, damn.

23-Nov-15
yup, that's why you let the professionals do the confronting. Hadn't heard that they made an arrest in this case. Hope he spends lots of time as someone's boyfriend!

23-Nov-15
Wow, guess I won't be stopping any snow mobiles in my backyard in the future either!! That story really sends it home. Your life is not worth stopping someone who is already breaking the law, because if they broke one they'll probably break another, like shooting you.

23-Nov-15
JMO, the fact that this thread has run so far off the rails is proof enough that you just never know who you're dealing with...

And FWIW, bringing up the location of someone else's stand in a public forum is just not at all respectful. ESPECIALLY not after the guy has allowed you to hunt it. Whether HE wants to disclose that kind of information (and exactly how much) is up to HIM.

As is the case around any other form of private, personal or otherwise-sensitive information. That's just basic manners. Sort of like obeying laws in general....

24-Nov-15
Yes anyone who would trespass, would also commit Murder. you are exactly right.

24-Nov-15
Duncan

"if they broke one law they would probably break another". Explain to me where you see the word murder? That's quite a leap you've taken.

24-Nov-15
Duncan, want me to take you hunting at one of my spots? I left a nice steamy dump on the treestand seat. Ill tell you where it is but I have to take you there blindfolded and make sure the blindfold is only removed once you have set down in the stand.

24-Nov-15
Once again, Duncan misses the point. "Fletch" was simply warning us that you NEVER know who you're confronting. Trying not to name call or be a total ass, but "Duncan" you are by far the biggest idiot on this forum. The things you say at times, and if you're doing it to get a "rise" out of guys, it shows a level of immaturity. There's nothing wrong with disagreeing with a point if you're having a serious conversation, but you just post idiotic stuff.

"BBB" one thing I respect about you, if you're wrong you'll readily admit it, that takes character, something your young friend is lacking. I remember being a little envious of Duncan, because he had a mentor to show him the ropes, I had to learn everything I've learned in the past six years from trial and error. He doesn't understand the golden opportunity he had, and trust me, when you have a good hunter willing to mentor you, that is half the battle. I'm sorry you wasted your time Bob, this guy is waaaay out there.

24-Nov-15
"if they broke one they'll probably break another, like shooting you."

It's the "like shooting you" part that made me think 'Murder'.

If I disagree, I'm called an Idiot, But when I agree I'm called an immature Idiot.

This is fun and you guys are still playing along, -Duncan

24-Nov-15
Duncan,

I have no problem with arguing a point, and in fact I think it's healthy to exchange opinions/idea about various topics. You'll notice I never stoop to personal attacks or name calling.

We have some fundamental difference of opinion when it comes to proxy hunting and driving dirt bikes on state land, both are illegal.

As for some of your other comments - I can never tell if you're trying to stick it to me (Bob didn't tag his buck, or here's where Bob and I hunted) or if there're just honest mistakes by an inexperienced hunter??

It's best we just drop it and go our separate ways. I wish you well.

24-Nov-15
We hunt on private property with a long dirt road that runs over a long trail over the gas pipeline.

Always kids on ATVs and dirt bikes cruising through right around sunset.

I caught two kids on their ATVs one time and asked them nicely to stop cutting through and that this was private property.

After that another kid and his dad are cutting through - I was a distance away and yelled out - "hey do you have permission to be here ?" And the father responded "Is this your property?"

I said " Sir I have permission to be here, written permission- do you ?"

the father said "answer my question is this your property?" Instead of verbally eviscerating him in front of his son ( which I will not do no matter what ) I just waved and said " have a nice evening"

I can't believe the attitude of some people

24-Nov-15
Dont think I ever seen anything like this before. I used to enjoy reading peoples post before but this web site turned out to be a bunch of whinning little bitches that complain about eberything. What ever happen with posting the animals that you shoot and just hunting related stuff. And the whiners seem to be the same freakin guys everytime. A bunch do gooders!!!!!!! Just go hunting and enjoy what we have.

24-Nov-15
bbd

don't like the posts, don't read them,............. and your problem is solved.

I'm proud to be a "do gooder" because that's the way my parents raised me. If you're proud to be someone who breaks the laws then you belong on an entirely different site, because there's no room in the hunting community for people who think breaking the law, any law, is ok.

Let us all know exactly where you hunt and we'll stop by at daybreak and spend the day in the area with our dirt bikes and chainsaws,.....so you can just "Enjoy what you have."

BTW - I don't recall reading any posts from you about your hunts, helping with new hunters, scent control, kill retrieval, calling techniques, etc, etc, etc.

24-Nov-15
Thats why I dont post because of this crap !!! What do you want a pat on the back.

24-Nov-15
So why are you posting now? To tell everyone you dont post because people are trying to get people off of stand land on all terrain vehicles?

see ya!

24-Nov-15
bbd

you're the one who said we were do gooders, not me. I just repeated what you said. I don't need any pats on the back from you or anyone else, I do it for myself,....... because it's the right thing to do. If I were you I would be asking myself why is it the do gooders upset me so much? Hmmm??

24-Nov-15
It just kills me, you guys always preach the right thing but some of you have to hear yourself say how good you are , or other people say how good you are but sometime you are the worst ones.BBB I have seen some of your post why would you tell the world that you are helping somebody get a car? Just help him and be happy that you could. Does everybody need to know what you did?

24-Nov-15
bbd

for someone who hates this kind of post you're sure on this one a lot :)

My original post started with something to effect that "I know this is not a hunting question, but I need to know if anyone has a good used car?" I was asking for help, that was the intent.

Then, a bunch of other "do gooders" offered to give me money, to start a fundraiser and I told them that wasn't necessary but thank you very much.

I provided the story how this young man had a tough start in life and how now he's on the right path, so it really wasn't me banging my drum, I was trying to show how this young man needed a break, helping hand to have a car to get to work.

If you think I was fishing for compliments your wrong. I didn't want to deceive anyone into thinking that this young man would be paying for the car, that I would be doing it. It's not a big deal because I have the money to help (and yes, I said that sounds like bragging when I first posted it, sorry).

bbd - what about the do gooders who offer to replace the stand of a fellow bow hunter who had his stolen? Or the guys that offer to help drag or offer to spend hours looking for a wounded deer? Shouldn't we exclude them from posting on this site as well?

Pretty soon this site will be nothing but nice people trying to help each other be better hunters , or even worse - a better person; and no one will be talking about killing deer and showing bloody pictures of dead animals.

I am one of the worse offenders according to your rules for the site, and maybe it's because I'm bit older than most on the site. I know there's more to life than seeing how many deer you can kill or how big the rack is. I would rather show a young person the woods than kill the buck of a life time. But there I go bragging again. Sorry, I can't help myself.

#1 Do-Gooder

24-Nov-15
Love all this bickering, keep it up boys. For what's it worth, report those law breakers.

01-Dec-15
Heard in the news someone shot some kid in the foot riding an atv the other day. They said it was a hunting related incident. Still looking for the hunter. Happy now?

01-Dec-15
grizzly

no one here even suggested taking that kind of action against atv riders, the common theme was calling the authorities and letting them handle it, so I'm a bit taken back by that comment.

Some one asked if we call the cops on someone running a stop sign or speeding and the analogy is not quite the same. If the person running the stop sign hit my car and caused me harm, I call the cops. If the person speeding ran me off the road, I call the cops. Likewise, if the person on the ATV busted my hunt or damaged the private land I'm allowed on legally, I call the cops.

There's a time and place for everything, that's the way a civilized society works. Otherwise everyone could just do what they want, and that would create chaos.

02-Dec-15
So who is at fault? the hunter for not being sure of his target and mistaking an ATV for a deer or the Atv rider for busting the hunters hunt? -Duncan

02-Dec-15
How do we know it was a hunter? It was reported that no suspect was found, so no one knows who did it, and it's crap/bs irresponsible anti reporting (as usual). Could have been someone out shooting cans or bottles illegally, we all know that happens all the time. The woods are full of lawbreakers and idiots.

02-Dec-15
^x2 . I can't believe this thread is still alive.

02-Dec-15
^x2 . I can't believe this thread is still alive.

02-Dec-15
BBB tell me if I'm misunderstanding you. So i interpreted your last post as saying that you only call the police if it affects u. So illegal acts of speeding or running a stop sign are different types of illegal activity than when someone is run off the road by someone running a stop sign or speeding.

03-Dec-15
S&S

I'm not sure what you're asking, so please ask the question another way.

Here's my point - my neighbor rides a dirt bike (he's 43 BTW) with a teenager down the street up on MT Southington, which is illegal. I don't call the cops because it doesn't impact me. If the ski area or local resident are affected, they should call the cops.

If I see an accident on the side of the road, I call the cops, regardless of how it happened. If someone ran me off the road due to speeding, I call the cops. If they ran someone else off the road, I call the cops. If they're speeding and no one is affected, I don't call the cops.

Same for ATV when hunting. If I see one in a field a mile from where I'm hunting, no impact, don't call the cops. If he's zooming past my stand every hour, I call the cops.

I hope that's clear now.

03-Dec-15
It does thank you.

03-Dec-15

stick&string's embedded Photo
stick&string's embedded Photo
It does thank you. So what did you mean by this earlier post.

03-Dec-15
I think it's pretty clear. Someone was saying its legal to ride on state land in other states. Ct is not other states so our laws apply here. That's all.

• Sitka Gear