gobbler 12-Nov-15
wvvabowhunter 13-Nov-15
gobbler 13-Nov-15
WV Mountaineer 15-Nov-15
gobbler 16-Nov-15
12-Nov-15

gobbler's embedded Photo
gobbler's embedded Photo
I got lucky and found an intact skull of a rare and elusive Mingo Pygmy Deer. These deer are rarely seen, I've only seen 1 doe my whole life. They are about the body size of a medium fox squirrel but have longer legs like a cotton tail rabbit. They actually use their legs like a rabbit and can jump up to 4 ft. high and 6-8 ft. In distance. The doe I saw bounded away kinda like a mule deer.

I got a new Jeep Grand Cherokee and needed a dashboard ornament so I got a sticky hanger to mount it with. I called the game warden to get a "find" permit so it would be legal. I scored it and it scored an unbelievable 17 Gross!!!. That's 5 inches above the current state record but I'm not going to enter it in the books cause I'm not into the record book thing, plus I don't want anybody to know where I found it cause there's always next year if I can draw a permit. I know there's a good gene pool there.

13-Nov-15
Gobbler, I have been fortunate to find one of those as well, but I thought it was a McDowell Pygmy Deer. Never seen one of the does but I have have mine mounted in my jeep liberty....

13-Nov-15
I think they can range as far south as McDowell county and over into parts of Logan and Wyoming too. But they're a different subspecies for each county. If you found it in McDowell it was probably the McDowell subspecie which would make it a McDowell Pygmy Deer.

I think they have found a Pike Pygmy Deer too across the river in Pike county KY. I don't know but I heard the one they found there didn't have any teeth. IDK, it may have been a rumor??? You know how people are about making stuff up.

15-Nov-15
The heck with those deer. That Gobbler spur hanging from the rear view is a once in ten lifetimes bird. It is huge! God Bless

16-Nov-15
That's another thing. I think we ought to have a limit on gobblers. They should have at least an inch and 8/16 spur on one side before they are legal.

JUST KIDDING GUYS!!!!!

Out of close to a hundred gobblers I've only got 1 about that size and it's an Osceola. They don't wear theirs off in the sand of South Florida. That one hanging is just a decorative reproduction.

• Sitka Gear