West Virginia
Contributors to this thread:
TFletcher 14-Nov-15
gobbler 14-Nov-15
shakyheadsabol 14-Nov-15
Babysaph 14-Nov-15
gobbler 14-Nov-15
14-Nov-15
I was stalk hunting thru the woods yesterday. I was going to gross a power line thru the creek to keep quiet but I couldn't because it was so thick. So I climbed the back and hit an old road that is about 3/4 up the hill from the creek bottom and the very top of the hill that just so happens to be a gas line...

There was a west wind and the wind was hitting me in the face. As soon as I got up to that little road I smelled Buck. I took a few more steps and saw a scrape, it was fairly small and didn't seem to fresh. I could still smell Buck extremely strong. I took a few more steps and saw another scrape, 3 times as big, with fresh tracks, and smelled like the buck had just took a leak into it. Licking branch broke over, etc..

I take one more step to continue on my journey thru the woods and what do you know, to my right on the powerline up above me I hear a lone deer jump up, snort, and run. Never saw it but it's an experience that I'll never forget.

That deer was in a spot that was impossible to kill.

14-Nov-15
It was probably a mature buck and he knew he was in a perfect spot. That's what they do with 4 or 5 years of the experience of living and staying safe.

I've said it for years, once a buck hits 4.5 they act and behave completely different from a young buck, with the exception of 1-2 week period of sex induced craziness. That's why they are so fun and rewarding to hunt. I would rather kill one of those once every 3-4 years than 3 little bucks every year.

14-Nov-15
I woke up kinda late this morning...got it all together grabbed my camera (tagged out) and took off...went through a funnel with atv and when I popped out into another field there was a nice buck on edge of field..he took off and there were three does in woods just in front..when I drove by where he had stood, holy moly it smelled horribly rutting buck smell lol..that dude apparently was full force!

14-Nov-15
Yea but gobbler u can't go down to the local store and brag you killed 3 lil bucks Lol.

14-Nov-15
I hadn't thought of that. LOL

• Sitka Gear