Fletch 03-Dec-15
Passthrough 03-Dec-15
bigbuckbob 03-Dec-15
treesitter 03-Dec-15
bigbuckbob 03-Dec-15
16-Nov-15

pellet's embedded Photo
pellet's embedded Photo
Every time I check trail cam pics I have more bears than anything else. Even if I move locations still have bears. They have even chewed my camera , going to have to put it in a bear box.Seen them while on stand also and never the same one twice.

16-Nov-15

pellet's embedded Photo
pellet's embedded Photo

16-Nov-15
They like youuuuu..lol

16-Nov-15
Keep them there please.

16-Nov-15
Boy does that look familiar

Same problem on one of my properties

16-Nov-15
pellet,

what part of the state you hunting?

16-Nov-15
put a picnic basket on the far side of the property :p

16-Nov-15
time to lobby for bear season in CT in which case you are the man

16-Nov-15
What part of the state are these pictures from?

16-Nov-15
Not sure where those pics are from, but we have bears running around on 3 different cameras in Fairfield county. At a minimum it's 2 different bears, could be 3 different ones

16-Nov-15
Glad to hear they're finally in farfield county, seems like nothing is ever a problem till wealthy left wing campaign contributing soccer moms start complaining. Maybe will get a season next year. I've seen over a dozen bears from the stand this season. I don't even bother looking twice at trail cam pics of them anymore, they are becoming a nuisance.

17-Nov-15
Barkhamsted

17-Nov-15
Sure there is more.

17-Nov-15
I was dropping a doe at the butcher today (up here in MA) and a woman was dropping off a #380 bear she shot yesterday. It dwarfed a 202# buck that was also getting dropped. Unreal! At some point, you have to think human-bear conflicts are going to be a serious issue.

18-Nov-15
Hearing that. Went out for the shotgun opener today Nothing but squirrels and bears. Getting sick of these aholes. Wish I could shoot a couple. They ruin my deer hunts.

20-Nov-15
Just curious.... How many of you guys who are complaining about seeing so many bears are hunting over bait? Or near somebody else who is??

Because the densities you're describing are ridiculous. A sow and cubs would be one thing, but apart from that, it just takes too much territory to feed a bear for them to be so numerous unless they are concentrated around a really plentiful resource.... Like a bait pile, for instance.... And/or an unusual density of gut piles such as one might find in an area where a lot of deer are being killed because THEY are unnaturally concentrated around an artificial food source... Such as a bait pile.

Anyway, seems that if the bears are keeping the deer away, then maybe the problem is that the area has become too attractive to bears.... In which case it seems that the answer would be to remove the food source.

Just sayin'....

20-Nov-15
Just curious.... How many of you guys who are complaining about seeing so many bears are hunting over bait? Or near somebody else who is??

Because the densities you're describing are ridiculous. A sow and cubs would be one thing, but apart from that, it just takes too much territory to feed a bear for them to be so numerous unless they are concentrated around a really plentiful resource.... Like a bait pile, for instance.... And/or an unusual density of gut piles such as one might find in an area where a lot of deer are being killed because THEY are unnaturally concentrated around an artificial food source... Such as a bait pile.

Anyway, seems that if the bears are keeping the deer away, then maybe the problem is that the area has become too attractive to bears.... In which case it seems that the answer would be to remove the food source.

Just sayin'....

20-Nov-15

Just sayin'....

20-Nov-15
GF, tell that to the DEEP that drops bears off in Barkhamsted and Colebrook.....you have no clue

20-Nov-15
GF, that is one of the dumbest things I have heard here in quite some time. You must be a bear biologist.

20-Nov-15
GF - garbage pails, bird feeders, backyard gardens, landscaping plants, etc are all great ways to bait bear. So now what?

20-Nov-15
I used to hunt barkhemsted,new Hartford,Colebrook,Winsted,Torrington,Norfolk,Goshen ..there are a LOT of bears there..depending on the spot we went to we had them timed for 6-8 days..deep dumps them off up there,probably hoping they cross the border..deep does a den survey every winter and they're surprised on how many are 400+ lbs..ive seen tracks and droppings on wc property in ffld county but its a matter of time for here..there was one over the summer in my buds yard in ffld

20-Nov-15
Maybe we should cut down all the oak, and beech trees to get rid of them. LOL

20-Nov-15
There are bears in many many places that nobody baits. Are you really suggesting that a few ounces of corn is what's attracting and holding multiple 200 pound plus bears?

Fairfield County is Zone 11, there i no baiting allowed except in Zone 11 (and 12, the shoreline towns). What you are really asking him GF is if he's poaching.

As Bob pointed out, bears eats large quantities of a lot of different things. I think it's fair to say that the reason they are spreading southward is 1) to establish new unoccupied territory (a Boar will not tolerate another boar in his area) and 2) to find enough food.

Now that they are fattening up for the big sleep, watch how many people start seeing them, and how many complaints the DEEP gets. We are entering the time when they really start hitting the bee hives, chicken coops, bird feeders and trash cans.

20-Nov-15
Just fence in all the deer hunting areas to keep out the coydogs and bears. just give keys to hunters that have paid for the proper hunting permits. -Duncan

20-Nov-15
Good idea, and it also keeps out the dirt bikes and ATVs :)

20-Nov-15
Busy bee hive without deer in the field. Calm down people and sharpen your broadheadds for this weekend. Deer are moving back to town after Santa declined their application for raindeer position.

20-Nov-15
" What you are really asking him GF is if he's poaching."

No, not at all. I don't know where any of these guys hunt, but I was ASKING whether it's possible that baiting was a contributing factor. I did see that Pellet said he was in Barkhamstead, but got the impression from 3-4 or more other posts that there are guys seeing them in good (too good?) numbers pretty much all over the state, including LFFC, where baiting is LEGAL.... So I thought there might be a connection. And from the touchiness of some of these responses, a reasonable person might even conclude that yes, there really IS....

So let me spell it out a little plainer....

Personally, I figure that IF someone is running a feeder, or regularly spreading corn (or whatever) then if the local bear(s) has/have gotten into the habit of hitting that spot every day and it's keeping the deer away... well, then the guy has pretty much gotten what he paid for.

Bears like food. Don't like bears? Don't put out food. Pretty straightforward logic. And bears are smart. If they can hit the same spot every day and lick up a few ounces (or a few cups) of high-energy food such as corn, then they'll be there, EVERY DAY, until a bigger bear runs them off. If there's enough there to attract deer, then there's enough there to attract bear.

And it takes less than you think. The Grizzlies out in Yellowstone spend a good chunk of their summers up above timberline, flipping over rocks all day long so that they can gobble up Miller moths at a calorie or two a pop. Half a pound of corn a day for 3 months is 45 pounds of free, high-calorie, high-protein food. They're not gonna pass that up. Especially if their numbers are artificially high because the state is overdue for authorizing a season.

Other end of the spectrum, if bears are reaching unnaturally high densities without the aid or attraction of some artificial/unnatural food source, then it's time for a bear season.

And if you look at this whole thing from the perspective of a biologist - and I'm not sure why I should be insulted by the accusation that I do, since I went to grad school for that - then when it comes to managing these animals, you have to look at two kinds of carrying capacity - there's the capacity in terms of how many calories are required per bear and how many are available per acre (or mile or hectare or whatever), which is hit when they start starving... and then there's the Social carrying capacity, which is hit when they become a damn nuisance.

Sounds to me that several here are of a mind that we have already hit their idea of the saturation point.... and then some... so as I said in my earlier post... I was JUST CURIOUS as to what impact some of the deer-management policies might be having on the bear-management situation....

20-Nov-15
No way Bob, the Atv guys carry bolt cutters, them law breaking harden criminals they are. fences won't stop them. -Duncan

20-Nov-15
Wonder why the deer # are down in Barkhamsted and we cant hunt on sunday because of it but bear# are up . We have more bears than we know what to do with. Its crazy to go hunting 10 time and 9 out of 10 you are seeing bears. And No I don't hunt over bait.

20-Nov-15
I don't have to bait to see bears in my neighborhood. My neighbors do it for me with their bird feeders and trash cans. They refuse to bring them in when the Bears are out of their dens. I have seen 6 in my very residential backyard this year. Funny thing is I also hunt Barkhamsted but luckily haven't seen any bears yet. I'm sure that is just a matter of time.

20-Nov-15
if bears are reaching unnaturally high densities without the aid or attraction of some artificial/unnatural food source, then it's time for a bear season.

Thats the one thing you got right.

21-Nov-15
Couple of days ago in Winchester I spoke with a dog walker while I was about to go into the private land I hunt. She told me bear and coyote were very prevalent. Few deer seen by neighbor's.

While in my ground blind I got circled by a bear. Not fearful of this but it sucks that the predators are so prevalent.

21-Nov-15
I'm hearing you pellet. Haven't even heard a shot since the gun opener in Barkhampsted/Hartland. I see more bear scat than deer droppings. I don't bait either.

21-Nov-15

hookee's embedded Photo
hookee's embedded Photo
Couple days ago in the yard -- way too common

They are all over my areas too -- if we ever have a season (which we need ) I could tag out on multiple bears in one or two days -- no problem

21-Nov-15
Couple days ago in the yard -- way too common

They are all over my areas too -- if we ever have a season (which we need ) I could tag out on multiple bears in one or two days -- no problem

22-Nov-15

BigWoods71's embedded Photo
BigWoods71's embedded Photo
Went scouting today up in Barkhamsted. Jumped a button buck that didn't scamper too far. Took out my doe bleat call to try and lure him closer for my camera. After I call a few times, all of a sudden behind me I hear something running hard towards me. I turn around and a bear was charging up the hill probably to the sound of my call. Realizing he was probably going to run me over, I yelled and he stopped. After a brief moment he walked off in the direction the deer went.

I should be bear hunting, because those damn things are all I ever see.

22-Nov-15
Bigwoods,was that at American legion ?..i used to see some brutes up there up past the swamp

22-Nov-15
Correct

22-Nov-15
Hookee - that one's a WHOPPER! Any guesses as to what it'd weigh?

FWIW, if I had bears in my back yard, but especially one that size.... I'd keep the .45/70 handy.

And loaded.

23-Nov-15
Did you have a candy bar in your pocket?

23-Nov-15
went out Sat. didn't see anything but had a mock scrape going. Been out there for 3 weeks now, well the tree I had the dripper in was broke off at the base and dripper gone. I found what was left of the bottle 20yrds away all chewed up. Went back home and checked SD card and a bear didnt like my dripper he played for 40min. Didnt know they like buck urine. Was I baiting using that?

27-Nov-15
This was on the news again tonight. http://www.nbcconnecticut.com/news/local/Black-Bear-Sessions-Woods-Burlington-Bradley-Aggression-Animal-Euthanize-323504121.html

Wanna know something funny? I know this bear. Ran into him a few times. He's almost tame and unafraid of humans, but never showed any real aggression.

27-Nov-15
One other comment. The girl on this video has bigger ballz than me for sure and handled the situation well. When a bear starts mouthing my sneakers and sniffing my leg. I think I'd have the .44 aiming at his head. LOL

28-Nov-15
I don't think she was brave so much as ignorant as regards bear behavior.

But if she had just pepper-sprayed that sucker (weren't there 2 bears involved here?), he MIGHT have been set on the straight and narrow.....

But go figure... Woman posts video of a bear which is clearly a problem animal... and she gets death threats.

I guess that clarifies the kind of people we're dealing with...

28-Nov-15
Welcome to CT mentality. She did nothing wrong. I think she did just fine, Have had bears real close (not this close) but never felt threatened by them. Of course I'm a much bigger guy than this girl but I think she handled the situation well. I always try to give bears a bad experience with humans without having to shoot them. Most are pretty timid but there are a few that are not. To me they are mostly a pain in the ass and ruin my deer hunts but I do respect them. They are a part of our ecosystem.

29-Nov-15
" I always try to give bears a bad experience with humans without having to shoot them. "

I thought that was what pepper spray was invented to do????

Considering that she didn't end up chewed, she must have done several things right.... given that she was not carrying a suitable deterrent. But I don't think you'll ever see me post any video of a bear giving me a taste test....

29-Nov-15
Pepper spray doesn't work as well as some may think. If you spray it on the ground it will actually attract bears, and if there's a strong wind you might be eating more of it than the bear does and I'll bet that's an ugly experience for sure. I think every encounter needs a quick and accurate assessment of the current situation and a determination of any real threat or not. I've encountered many bears GF including one I hit in the ass with my screen door with his head under my grill cover on my deck. To me most of them are just boneheads looking for an easy meal but they really don't want to "F" with a grown adult human. I worry more about children and pets. Had one rear up on his hind legs a few years ago in my yard. I hit him squarely in the chest with a small rock and that sent him running. (I can hear PETA now telling me I was the aggressor). I'll take the common sense approach each and every time. I don't fear them but I do respect them.

29-Nov-15
Out of curiosity I just did some research on bear sprays. Opinions vary of course, but found this blurb on Backpacker I found interesting. Since most manufactures say it works best at 1/2 the rated distance I'm not sure I would trust them with my life. Don't stop to read the instructions when there's a bear at your feet. LOL!Just saying is all.

Bear spray is made of very hot peppers ground up and forced from a pressurized container. It burns the eyes and noses of bears that walk into the mist sprayed from the container. The effective range varies from 18 to 30 feet, depending on the product you choose. Manufacturers say their sprays work best at about half the maximum distance. Wind and/or rain shorten the effective distance. In all cases, the bear is pretty darn close. Does it work? In laboratory conditions, every time. Out in the wild, sprays vary in their effectiveness. In 20 well-documented cases of spray being used on grizzlies, the bears were stopped by the spray. But three of the bears came back later and attacked. In 26 cases of spray vs. black bears, six of the bears returned, but none attacked. There are probably no more than about 70 known times spray was used against bears in the field. That’s not many to base a sure answer on. But it looks like bear spray probably works most of the time when used according to the manufacturers’ instructions. The spray, of course, needs to be kept very handy. And most experts suggest practicing with a container before actually using it against a bear. Keep in mind, though, that practice is expensive, since bear sprays will not be the cheapest item in your pack.

30-Nov-15
I hunted East Hartland last week where I used to score during the rut on a frequent basis. This will be my 3rd and final year hunting there not seeing any deer in approx. 100 hrs. stand time. The bears have taken the fun out of it. Opening day I scared away a small approx. 150 lb. bear by waving my orange vest and finally looking big and yelling. Within 20 minutes on the same path I saw another one approx. 350 lbs. I just stood up and walked out keeping an open eye. the two met and walked off as did I. I had set up my Tinks and had everything ready for a full day hunt. I wasn't afraid because I had a ton of firepower,but am glad I didn't have to use it. It ruined my setup and area I wanted to hunt. My trail cams are lop-sided with bear vs. deer pics. Maybe they should have a bear season where they held back Sunday Bowhunting?

30-Nov-15
Echo your sentiment on East Hartland Tom. Haven't even heard any shots all season here. Time to hunt elsewhere.

30-Nov-15

Fletch's embedded Photo
Fletch's embedded Photo
My sister took this picture of this beast on Thanksgiving at her in-laws in Simsbury. Monster bear.

30-Nov-15
Holy crap that's a huge bear. Do you know if it had any tags in it's ear? Look at the goodies in backyard!! Bird feeders, garden leftovers, pumpkin nuggets, sweet!

30-Nov-15
Wow! That's a big-un for sure. They eat well here in CT. and with the warmer weather they're not likely to den up anytime soon. Watch your six guys. This bear's ears look way outside the top of the skull which is a sign of a big mature bear. Sagging belly etc. I'll bet he goes 350 lbs or better. Man he is "thick". Look at the distance between his back and his chest.

30-Nov-15
Wow that's a big bear!

30-Nov-15
When a bear matures, it's snout seems smaller the ears grow from the center of the head to the outside of the skull and appear much smaller proportionality. This pic from Simsbury is a classic example of a really mature black bear.

My neighbor thinks I;m a bear expert but I am not. Just years of observation have taught me. They are ruining my deer hunts. C'mon DEEP get your heads out of your asses and open a limited season before some child gets hurt or worse. We have a bear problem that needs to be addressed. Nuff said. Mike

01-Dec-15
Mike - agree pretty much all around.... Like they say.... RTFM.

But at six feet, I'd be willing to test it.

And yeah... I don't know too much about bears, but anybody who can't see that that's a whopper is probably someone whose experience with bears is limited to Grizzly Adams re-runs....

01-Dec-15
As far as I know there is one tag in the right ear, which is a good thing from what I hear. I believe two tags is a potential "problem bear" but I might be misinformed.

This one has been coming around for a few years and has a friend who's equally big, if not bigger. There are something like 13 different bears in that neighborhood, which borders either the state forest in Simsbury or the federal land there. But we don't need a bear season...13 in one neighborhood is no big deal.

01-Dec-15
I believe I saw this guy last spring next to the river across from Westminster school. I know because I couldn't believe how big he is. Since then I've seen 3-4 almost the same size between East Hartland and East Granby.

02-Dec-15
You guys gotta stop stealing all our damn bears. No wonder I didn't see any during bear season. I talked to a bear biologist here in MA who said he had two tagged bears go down to ct. One bear was tagged in central MA and the other came from the VT state line down to CT! Amazing how far they travel. He showed me a picture of a 450 pound male that was over 20 years old with no teeth left. He also said how amazing it was when he tracks them with gps that he can get 50 yards from one and never see it.

02-Dec-15
13 in one neighborhood is no big deal? Hope you're kidding Fletch. If my grandson was on a swing set when a bear like this came through I would shoot first and pay the consequences later. Do you have a clue what an animal of this size is capable of?

03-Dec-15
MikeP, completely tongue in check. Just being sarcastic about the fact that I believe we do have or are well on our way to a bear problem in this state. When you're getting bears in the north end of Hartford, New Britain and FF county, you have to wonder just how out of control the population is or is about to get. 13 bears in one neighborhood speaks volumes for that. I think DEEP has severely underestimated the population.

03-Dec-15
Deep isn't listening. Once someone gets hurt or killed it will change and there will be a season. I'm going to hunt bears and deer Saturday in MA with shotgun. Maybe I can stop a bear from migrating down to CT. Best I can do to help.

03-Dec-15
A bear season in CT is going to cause a lot of controversy with the public. They see them as cute, cuddly, harmless animals that are just a small problem.

Remember the uproar when the DEEP had to shoot the bear that approach the girl in Session Woods! Now tell the public the DEEP is going turn loose an open season on Yogi and Booboo and see what happens. Hold onto your hats for that one.

03-Dec-15

treesitter's embedded Photo
treesitter's embedded Photo
Here's my first pic of a bear in Brookfield two weeks ago. Those apples have been out there since early October. Untouched. Acorns a plenty

03-Dec-15
Another healthy bear!

03-Dec-15
Thanks for clarifying Fletch. I didn't really think you were serious. Just hard to tell on a forum sometimes. :>)

• Sitka Gear