FiveRs 01-Dec-15
buckmaster69 01-Dec-15
CaptMike 01-Dec-15
Naz 01-Dec-15
RutNut_@work 01-Dec-15
Duke 01-Dec-15
Bloodtrail 01-Dec-15
19-Nov-15
As the years pass, I believe more and more that Wisconsin needs to move its 9 day gun deer season into December. I have the firm belief that states like Iowa do it right putting their gun season in December, outside of the rut.

I know the main argument is that the season is "Tradition" being over Turkey Day, but if we truly care about the herd, I believe this would be a big step. Thoughts from others?

19-Nov-15
It will never ever ever happen but I would like it. I actually love spending time with family and friends over Thanksgiving, and actually like shopping for some of the great deals that can be found that Friday. I do a lot of the prep and cooking for Thanksgiving so that, combined w/ being with family and shopping does dig into the 9 day season...I would actually probably gun hunt more if it was a week later...

19-Nov-15
What about muzzy season? Would you move that earlier and have it coincide with the youth hunt? Or have it after the later gun hunt so you could hunt most of December with a firearm. I don't mind leaving it how it is or moving it back a couple weeks. Either way works for me. I do think overall gun hunter numbers would drop quite a bit. The closer to Christmas you get the less people can get out in the woods.

19-Nov-15
There are more gun hunters than there are bowhunters but yet bowhunters want it all to themselves. We already get close to 4 months and the gun guys get 9 days. Now we want to push them further out to save more deer for us? No wonder we get labeled as elitists. I love what the gun season represents in WI. I love going back to camp on the Friday after Thanksgiving too. I am very content with the amount of time we get to bowhunt. There is no reason to make a change. We as bowhunters should be thankful that the gun hunters don't unite and request their season be earlier in the month closer to the middle of the rut.

19-Nov-15
I think the gun should run conqurently with the whole archery season and maintain seperate data... Never will we except total inclusion though, it has to be seperate.

19-Nov-15
Thanksgiving week is almost always on the extreme tail end of the rut. Short work week, family coming home. Besides most ml seasons have big snow depth which impedes the vital 9 day harvest for herd control. Very few ml hunt, look at the harvest totals. Mn. Gun opener is peak rut which is really a head scratcher.

19-Nov-15
Should be first weekend in October gun season for those over 65 its just to cold November December for the older folks and for under 65 should be first weekend in December there should be no hunting season during the current 9 days November gun season let the deer have some privacy during the mating ritual. Decent respectfull thing to do.

19-Nov-15
To be fair we should alternate seasons. 1 year the seasons run like they currently do. The next the gun season run 4 months and bow season is 9 days.

19-Nov-15
I would like the bow season to start Oct 1st thru Dec 1. Gun season dec 1-9. Muzzle loader 9-15. No Dec doe hunt. Gun season would be after the rut but a better chance of snow which would benefit them even more.

19-Nov-15
If I had the magic want, I would 100% implement RJN's idea above. But, like I said, I don't ever expect it to happen because of the traditions. Was this one of the "Deer Czar's" recommendations to the state??

19-Nov-15
That would mean burning two more days of vacation. I like it fine where it is.

19-Nov-15
South Farm +1. ……… happy … early gun season has been voted down for years at the spring hearings and surveys done by the dnr.

19-Nov-15
RJN, that would mean giving up the late season bow hunt as you have it written. That time of the year is my favorite time to bow hunt.

19-Nov-15
Moving the Gun deer season(s) into December would increase the odds of Bucks reaching maturity.

It would also increase the odds of colder weather, chance of snowstorms, less time off work, with the end result being decreasing hunter participation.

The hunting tradition argument ... based on recent changes ... what do you think current legislators would do?

19-Nov-15
Drop Tine- Late season would run from Dec 16 to Jan 7. Basically the same as it is now plus you can bow hunt all of the seasons if you want.

19-Nov-15
Gun season will never be later . It was tried and met with failure in years past when Bitter cold , heavy snows or both kept hunters from getting to the hunt spots . And the kids could not handle the bad weather .

Hunters had to be rescued because of snow storms or dangerous cold . Back in the 90,s when we had several bad storms < 15 inchs > the DNR talked about moving the Gun season back 1 week .

As 1 of those selfesh bowhunters I said no during a few DNR group talks .

19-Nov-15
The rut is nearly over by gun season and it has been the same forever. Why change it? We now get to bowhunt right up to gun season and can also bowhunt during the rifle season. You might as well ask for rifle season to be moved to February so they don't inconvenience you.

19-Nov-15
I think there should be two gun seasons in WI. There are too many hunters in the woods at one time. Run them Dec 1st to Dec 9th and Dec 12th to Dec 20th and allow archery to go straight thru. Have muzzleloader season in January after the archery season ends.

19-Nov-15
Leave well enough alone.

19-Nov-15
Late bow season and muzzleloader season should be eliminated anyway regardless.

19-Nov-15
For those saying those poor gun hunters only get 9 days. I would be willing to bet that a large majority of gun hunters don't use those 9 days. I bet the majority barely hunt 3.

19-Nov-15
Hate Pasq and drop tines ideas. Like RJN's idea. I liked 3 day gun season because I had a lot more private land access to hunt bow and gun. The longer gun seasons have closed a lot of farms and people keep to themselves a lot more. Most guys I know gun hunt mornings and evenings and nobody moves around to chase deer off their land. We also had less trespassing issues back during 3 day seasons and now I see people trying to sneek into farms during the week when they think others are gone. I don't think we will see a Dec season or a 3 day hunt. I think it would be great on even years rifles are allowed but on odd years we have state wide shotguns instead. We would season the deer herd have a older age. It would be interesting.

19-Nov-15
Rut,

I would bet majority of gunhunters only hunt a most of Saturday and part of Sunday.

19-Nov-15
I agree with Rut and Kevin.

19-Nov-15
The biggest impact gun season has on the herd is deer drives and the added pressure. Having it in December when deer could be yarded up would not be good.

19-Nov-15
My hunting group of 15-17 guys, averages 6 hunting days per gun season, with a handful of us, hunting all days except thanksgiving.

I however, being single with no kids, hunt Thanksgiving each year, and usually hunt all 9 days unless work or I tag out early, and then I don't hunt the final Sunday, and instead clean up and pack at a leisurely pace.

LEAVE the gun season as it is. Minnesota is the stupid state, having their gun season during peak rut.

In over 30 years of gun hunting Wisconsin, I can think of 2 times total, that a buck was acting "rutty" during the firearms season.

19-Nov-15
Changing gun deer season has been on the radar of DNR and many hunters for decades, but all were talking about moving it earlier, either a consistent date like Nov. 15 (like Michigan), the Saturday closest to (pick a date in mid-November), or simply a week earlier. Earlier and/or longer seasons were proposed as part of Deer 2000 and other efforts since, but never survived, finally getting a legislative stamp of approval to keep it where it's at and no early antlerless hunts (except disabled and youth) after overuse of earn-a-buck in the mid- to late 00s.

Be careful what you wish for as far as December gun hunts. Surely the trade-off would be a push for earlier muzzleloader, and today's scoped, sabot-throwing inlines are not the traditional "ball and patch" of days gone by. I don't see any changes coming, but then again, with this rule-happy group, you never know. Whatever whim comes up, bam, here we go.

I've seen rutting whitetail bucks (or heard the stories of tailing from many other hunters) in probably half the WI gun seasons I've participated in (since the early 70s), esp. opening weekend on the years when the opener is Nov. 17-18-19 range but even later, more than one hunter sees hot activity opening morning. Can recall a Thanksgiving in late November one year when a gigantic buck was corralling a doe after hours (headlights) when I left a friend's house having eaten supper there. Most of what we think is no rutting is simply pressured deer not moving until night once they know the hunt is on.

19-Nov-15
You guys are forgetting that some mature bucks drop their antlers in December. Which means some of those would be shot as Does. Not a good situation.

The seasons are ok with me, because I can choose what tool I want to use during the gin season. I would like to see the early archery season stop the Sunday before the gun opener. I hear way too many shots on Thursday and Friday. There are guys opening the season a little early in my opinion

20-Nov-15
Mike F, +1. The extra days were added back in the day as a trade-off for taking away four days of buck hunting opportunity during the late October antlerless gun hunt. Then, when that went away, not only did the days stay, a few pushed for no more "quiet day" Friday before gun (and now even hunt right through the gun season). IMO, the only bow/crossbow hunting allowed during gun hunts should be in bow/crossbow only areas, such as urban hunts. With no more in-person registration, it's far too easy for the cheats (and it's more than a few) to use a firearm to register another buck or doe as a bow/crossbow kill without fear of getting caught, whether on their tag or one for a family member or significant other. With a full week of the "early" bow/crossbow to go, hunters have already set a state record "broadhead" harvest.

20-Nov-15
Its fine the way it is. Don't push it, or we will have Minnesota??? WI has it the perfect time.

21-Nov-15
Even though it was a late opener there was a lot of rutting going on today. The bucks were running and harassing does all day.

22-Nov-15
No Rut signs where I hunted in Lincoln cty. Kevins basicly right , Sat I counted 21vehicles parked at woodlots & fields between my house & hunting spot. Sunday morning I counted 6 .

30-Nov-15
I submitted this in writing to Kroll when he was here doing his study... Most will hate it, but I think it would be better... North of 29, gun season opening 1 week earlier with it continuing on with the "south of 29 opener" the following (original) Saturday opener. So yes, A 16 day gun season north of 29! "WITH A FEW KICKERS THOUGH" #1) Tag would be zone specific meaning you buy a northern tag you stay up north (No hunting up north the first week and coming down to the south for the second week) #2) Eliminate all baiting statewide-PERIOD! Think about it ... Actually a decent chance of seeing bucks out cruseing for does in a big woods setting a week earlier and without bait piles all over screwing things up. Would also help with the overcrowding of the minimal "south zone" public land. Would just stretch pressure out. Would also help out the northern economy with a 2 week season. Regardless of when you think the peak day of the rutting activity is, every day that clicks off after it gets worse and worse for natural daytime buck movement IMO so why not enlighten some gun hunters who think "you gotta bait" to get a buck. I guess if your a "brown its down" guy this makes no sense to you!

01-Dec-15
exactly Live2Hunt, MN listened to their wives and messed up their whole hunt. Its dragged out and ruined all the old hunting camps.

01-Dec-15
Braunschweiger - you are wrong on one point, baiting has no affect on deer movement in the north, its been proven on this site,,,,,,(tongue in cheek)

otherwise I like your idea....................

now from a purely selfish point of view, I love late season, I have shot my last 3 really good bucks in the late season, one in the south, and two in the north......

I know its weather related, but hunting for me north of Hwy 70 is better late season, than during the rut, not many people out, and deer are on the move....

I predict with the present weather patterns for December, this late season may be something special, good luck to all that are going out....

I can not hunt till tomorrow, love this lap top,,,,,,,

still having fun

01-Dec-15
Like I have said before. If the season is moved, later is the only thing that would be better. Start it earlier and this state will be as worthless as Mn. Adding days would just be stupid, people don't hunt hard for the 9 days we have now. If anything take days away, it would make for a shorter more intense hunt.

01-Dec-15
I see no reason to change the dates. The Thanksgiving holiday and the gun season make it the "best week" of the entire year. Tradition ? You bet. Nothing wrong with it.

01-Dec-15
If you want gun season to be more like Iowa's, start by going shotgun only state-wide. Iowa's rut is probably in the same stage as Wisconsin's during both gun seasons.

Just think how many bucks could survive to maturity with the limited range of shotguns!! Keep the same time-frame and go to shotgun only, that would be a good start!

01-Dec-15
Season is fine the way it is!!! Drive around after opening weekend ….. how many hunters do you see ? You guys like to bring up other states the way they run there seasons….. Then go hunt there!!! stagetek….Tradition …. Your dan right !!!

01-Dec-15
Why stop at shotguns? Think how many bucks could survive if we used pea shooters.

01-Dec-15
I thought rifle use would reduce our mature buck population in our county, but we went rifle nine seasons ago already (2007) and the top-end bucks are still there — maybe more than ever. The fourth year of rifles in Kewaunee County the biggest buck measured in Wisconsin from 2010 firearm hunts was shot here, a 180-inch typical. Truth be told, the majority of even top-end bucks here are shot at well under 100 yards. Sure, some field shooters nail a rutting trophy at long distances now and then, but that's the exception. And today's scoped slug shotguns and sabots are deadly accurate well beyond 100 yards as well in skilled hands.

01-Dec-15
I actually think rifles contribute to the mature bucks. My thinking on that is once our area went rifle more people seem to sit in shooting houses more and drive deer less. I know there was also a big scare from landowners that didn't want groups doing drives on their land with rifles. Makes no sense since slugs carry through the brush much better.

01-Dec-15
I don't see any reason to move the season. There are a few bucks rutting yet, but that is the case through the second week of December. The long Thanksgiving weekend makes it possible for many younger families to get together for a hunt as kids come back from college, get some days off from school, or come back to see their parents and grandparents from other places around the state or another state where they may have landed a job and maybe started a family. -It is about tradition. Moving the season in either direction would serve as a huge mistake in my opinion.

I would like to see the ML season start a week or two later giving the deer time to regroup and get off of the nocturnal drive many are put into by means of the gun season. Additionally, some additional snow would help them hunt food sources. For the record, I'm not a big ML hunter, but have done it a couple years... I just think this season gets drubbed here in Wisconsin.

01-Dec-15
ML hunting now Duke - had a spike chasing a doe this afternoon from the stand.

I would like to see a ML hunt coincide with the 9 day gun season....you can ML hunt then, don't see the need for the additional time....

To each there own...just my thoughts!

Season should stay I guess - Minnesota is smack dab in the rut! I'd rather shoot a rutting buck with a bow anyday!

• Sitka Gear