pawpaw 25-Nov-15
Trinidad 25-Nov-15
Killer Bees 28-Nov-15
Trinidad 30-Nov-15
gobbler 30-Nov-15
20-Nov-15

Trinidad's embedded Photo
Trinidad's embedded Photo
I'm a Fayette County bow hunter and interested in scouting RD Bailey next season. I've heard it's crowded and lots of out of State hunters. Any feedback or ideas? Pretty good season in Fayette so far!

20-Nov-15
Congrats!

I've heard good and bad about RD Bailey. I've been there but never hunted it. I do know they pull a few good bucks out of there every year .

20-Nov-15
Thanks for the info!

21-Nov-15
Nice buck, congratulations. Never been there, but you might as well give it a shot.

21-Nov-15
I've been hunting the bow only counties for at least 20 years. Yes, there are quite a few NR hunters that come in there but in my experience, they are not like the NR in a lot of the other counties that are just looking for meat. I can't think of any(although I'm sure there are a few) that are meat hunting. They are hunting for big bucks so they're not shooting every little buck they see. So, while they kill a few good bucks they aren't killing all the bucks.

21-Nov-15
Thanks again Gobbler, that's exactly why I am interested. I have seen so many small, really small bucks harvested in Fayette Co. This year, I want to be hunting around a better breed of hunter!

23-Nov-15
Hunted R.D. my whole life and killed a few nice ones. This year was first for me. I had one stand stole and my buddy had 3 stands and a camera stolen. Seen more out of area hunters this year than ever before, not saying that's what happened to our stuff could just as easily been a local. The lack of mass this year has made the season a tough one so far.

23-Nov-15
IDK for sure, but my money would be on the locals. One time I was scouting Panther State Forest in McDowell county.

I had parked my truck by the road and went to look at a ridge and was only gone 15 minutes and came back and my trailer hitch was gone. This was in the summer so I'm sure it was locals. Now I have a hitch lock. Lock everything u can up if u go . Most of the people are good people but ther're are a few bad apples everywhere.

24-Nov-15
That's awful news! There is a terrible drug addiction epidemic and possibly addicts trying to get $40 to get high.

24-Nov-15
Yep, if u can get behind a locked gate or something like that it offers better protection.

25-Nov-15
Killer bees - I know a guy a few years ago lost some stuff there .... The rangers or whatever they are called had it. Might be worth checking.

25-Nov-15
Yes, you are not permitted to leave stands or property in the woods. First I've heard of DNR removing stands. The WMA where I hunt, people leave up fixed stands in the fields with no problem.

28-Nov-15
The camera and 3 of the 4 stands where returned. It was a local who got them. He cut the straps on a couple of the stands. Suppose to pay for the damage but if he don't it will be turned over to the authorities. I wasn't aware about not being allowed to use temporary stands. I'll check with the area biologist and see if he may have other one. Thanks.

30-Nov-15
Look on the WV DNR WMA regulations. They are surprisingly simple. Cannot leave a stand of any kind or "property" more than 48 hours. I lock up my climber hidden way out there. Never had a problem and guys leave up fixed stands in the fields, the DNR hasn't messed with anyone that I know of at Buery Mtn. Thanks for the feedback on RD Bailey everyone, I really appreciate it!

30-Nov-15
Crime can happen anywhere. I live in what most people would consider a really nice Housing development right outside Charleston. 3 years ago a friend and I went to Canada bear hunting. I hauled my Ranger up there to hunt with cause we were on some rough and swampy roads. Anyway, when we got back to Charleston it was like 2 am. I had 5 5-gal gas cans tied on the trailer. 3 were full and 2 were empty . We pulled in at 2 am and parked. Got up at 7am and the 3 full cans were gone. The development I live in only has 1 way in and 1 way out, and we live right at the end of one of the roads.

My point is that there are thieves everywhere. Even in your own yard. All you can do is take the normal precautions regardless of wherever you are. That's all you can do. I certainly wouldn't let it keep me from going someplace .

• Sitka Gear