Drop Tine 21-Nov-15
lame crowndip 22-Nov-15
lame crowndip 22-Nov-15
10BUCKS 25-Nov-15
Naz 25-Nov-15
Mike F 25-Nov-15
Steve White 25-Nov-15
21-Nov-15
since we have been talking about boots. Felt it was about time to put this out there.

Wnating something to keep my feet dry on the wet days, and in the swamps now that it has been getting cold. SInce gortex just does not cut it for long. I started my quest again for a a decent rubber boot. My biggest issue has been the fit. So many brands out there just do not fit well. My heel moves a lot in them. So you know well that this will lead to blisters and sore feet. With my mileage and terrian I cross even more important.

Hit up a few stores, and the Dunhams nearby had a great selection of many of the new styles. Boot after boot same thing. Very poor fit. Then I tried the Frogg Toggs Amphib. WOW!!! Finally a boot that fit right. No heal movement and comfortable as all heck. I was soooo happy!!

First day worn. Rained over night so wet morning. Took a guy grouse hunting and 5 miles of hiking mostly on logging trails, and a bit of marsh grass. Feet nice and dry, but never got in any water.

Second day worn. Took my pups out scouting with me. A bit over 5 miles through a tag swamp, and cranberry/ buck brush areas in between. Little bit of hardwoods. Well finally in some water about calf high. Left boot was first to leak at the seems of the rubber and neoprene. Followed by the right one shortly after. Brand new waterproof boots both not waterproof!! Then after crossing a small cranberry brush bog. Crossed a small creek, and the right boot filled with water. WTH! Looked it over, and sure enough the cranberry brush tore a hole in the neoprene of the right boot.

So these boots obviously went back. Very disappointed in the durability and construction of them. Customer service was even worse. All heard from them was, Never heard of any problems with them. That was it, nothing more!!

There were 2 other things that I really did not like. But for the fit was willing to overlook. The finish on them is a shiny plastic looking thing. Might not be that great if used for hunting. Also the soles had about one of the worst treads you want for traction. Fine on pavement I'm sure. But through the brush, over logs, rocks, up hills, etc. Knew I would have to be careful.

So based on my experience with these. Would not recommend them to anyone. Maybe if you stuck to open hardwoods, and soft grassy fields/ marshes they would be OK. Surely no good for the stuff I like to play in!

21-Nov-15
Thanks for the report. I am dealing with a Moultrie trail cam. Bought the thing and put it fairly close to the house. We had 2+ inches of rain over 3 day and I went to retrieve the thing and it had water inside that poured out. Guess what? It didn't work anymore. Talked to the merchant and his response was to talk to Moultrie. They said to send it in and they'd look at it. Both asked if I had closed the "hatch". I am not new to trail cams and the thing was closed up. I am waiting to hear from Moultrie.

21-Nov-15
I've never really heard anything good about FrogTog boots, the idea sounds good but in use they just don't hold up.

21-Nov-15
Which model Moultrie?

21-Nov-15
Neoprene is fine for waders in a marsh but there is no way that soft material would hold up in. Woods, cedar swamp.

I have Alpha Burly's from LaCross and put a lot of miles on them in the swamps. No blisters or wet feet except a time or two I went over the top of the boot. Good traction bottoms also.

22-Nov-15
Moultrie A7-i

22-Nov-15
Steve-If you can find them, I've had good success with the stuff put out by Northerner (Servus)

25-Nov-15
Anyone had MUCKS?

25-Nov-15
I've had Mucks for years, very good boots; for walking go with the lighter ones. For sits, the more insulated. However, the neoprene is prone to tears if you're hard on 'em or hit a sharp stick just right. I've got Rockies and other brands too, but the Mucks are the most comfortable.

25-Nov-15
I have worn Mucks and tore them up real fast when running bear baits.

My go to boot is still La Cross Burley's I have 2 pair one insulated and one not.

They last about 5 years and are easy to patch with GOOP. I have the air-bob sole.

For cold weather walking/stalking I have a pair of Schnee's Guide pack boots and of course the Sorel's for cold weather sitting.

25-Nov-15
Friend of mine swears by his mucks. But uses a tube of goop and 2 rolls a duct tape every bear season. Buys another set come winter for cats. 2 sets a year, LOL.

Another swears buy boggs, but no where to be found in these parts.

Airbob sole is no doubt the way to go. What I have on my 2 main pair of boots. By far the best traction overall.

Told to look at schnees before. Started playing the lottery the next day. Not cheap, but hear good things. Just like mendl's. But again not a rubber boot.

During the bear season, I dont mind wet feet to much as it is warmer. Come fall for trapping and working in the woods. Thats a bit different!

Lacrosse has a heavy duty one in the industrial line. Might give them a look as well. Had burly's and like them. But before they went to china. Then same as now they always cracked in same spot. Front of boot just above ankle. Seen a set of brownings do they same.

Eventually I will find ones that hold up and fit well enough for all day tromping in the rough stuff. I HOPE!

• Sitka Gear