Naz 25-Nov-15
Pete-pec 25-Nov-15
Helgermite 25-Nov-15
pineriverbowman 25-Nov-15
Crusader dad 25-Nov-15
deerslayer 25-Nov-15
JRW 30-Nov-15
21-Nov-15
This thread is for the guys who are still doing it with stick and string this week. Post your reports here. Good luck and shoot straight!

21-Nov-15

Crusader dad's embedded Photo
I could not ask for more awesome conditions tonight. 3-4 inches of fresh snow and almost no wind. I am right along the edge of a conservancy. There is for sure no gun hunters for a long distance from me. I'm expecting the deer to come out of the conservancy and into the winter wheat feild to the east of me. There is a horse trail to the west about 15 yds away I suspect the deer are using to enter the field. Doing it from the ground again!

21-Nov-15
Saw one saunter by around 4 @ 65 yds. Unknown

Two doe fawns @ 4:25. 17 yds.

It was a beautiful evening.

23-Nov-15
Saw a really big ten cross Douglas going right into your area. Thought about you when I saw him.

24-Nov-15
They are turning my ten behind shooters back into a hayfield so I've been sitting on the edge of the conservancy. The landowner has been seeing a few different nice bucks in shooter's ten but it's hard to convince myself to hunt it now that the heavy equipment is in there. I sat again last night in the same spot as sat evening and saw nothing. There were a lot of fresh tracks all over the place in the snow. I have to take my mom to the airport this morning and then I'm going to go sit that spot again.

24-Nov-15
I got in my spot at 6 this morning after dropping my mom at th airport. 6:30- a doe and fawn trot down the trail at 30 yds 6:55- an 8 point buck is walking down the same trail but cuts it short an heads right at me. He gets to 15 yds and turns broadside, takes two steps and I draw, two more steps and Bahhh. He stops, I settle and THWACK. He's now laying 40 yds away!!!

24-Nov-15
That's awesome!' Congrats!!' Show some pictures

24-Nov-15

Not a giant but my best bow buck yet! And from the ground!

24-Nov-15

24-Nov-15

24-Nov-15
Awesome job!! Way to get it done with a bow during rifle season!!

24-Nov-15
Great buck and nice photos, congrats on the snowy memory! Nothing on the ground up here yet and sounds like heavy rains coming.

24-Nov-15
Thanks guys. I'm very happy with him and its cool to think that I drove all them miles with my son to hunt 2,600 acres of prime farmland to get that guy 5 minutes from my house. The one I missed in the same area early season was much bigger and the homeowner said he's been seeing two bigger than mine one a regular basis the last couple weeks. I'm going to take my son tomorrow morning to the back 10 where he's been seeing the two big boys.

Nocturnal, thanks for offering to come and help cut it up;-) I would have bought the beer!!!!

Max, where do you hunt? My brother in law just called and said they are expecting snow in hixton over the next couple days.

24-Nov-15
COOL, A rare feat I would think.

24-Nov-15
Hey man if you need some help. Let me know?

24-Nov-15
super cool. congrats.

24-Nov-15
I have been in IA archery hunt. A whole different ball game. More deer/bucks then you can imagine. More activity then anyone would guess. A different state who knows how to manage deer with amazing results. Ill be back with a camera next year foregoing the WI gun season again.

25-Nov-15

Noc, thanks, I got it taken care of, way too many beers though.

Dbl, isn't Iowa a draw state? Are you doing diy or guided? I have a buddy that did a guided bowhunt there a couple years ago and he said the same thing as you as far as lots of big bucks around and good movement.

My son and I are on the back 10 this morning. He's got school today so we can only hunt until 7:30.

25-Nov-15
Way to go Shane! You really put in your time and deserve this. I hope the kids are still able to have some success.

25-Nov-15

Naz 's Link
Hard to compare IA to WI. We have far more hunters and deer, much different habitat and our harvests are much larger. IA success rates (see link) range from 24 to 40 percent for bow, muzzleloader and gun hunts. Like anywhere else in the Midwest, if you own, lease or have access to a large stretch of prime habitat, you'll see and likely get shot opportunities at quality whitetails every year. If you don't have great access to great habitat, you will be on the low end of seeing and shooting quality deer most years. In the end, it's mainly about where you hunt, and how that particular property is hunted, IMO.

25-Nov-15
Nice buck Crusader!

25-Nov-15
Great job Crusader! Excellent shot! Isn't it awesome how effective a sharp broadhead is with a properly placed shot. What broadheads do you use?

25-Nov-15
Nice buck great shot. CONGRADS Crusader

25-Nov-15
We sat until 7:30- no deer but lots of fresh tracks.

Happy, thanks and your right. We've definitely put our time in. I think Collin still has a good chance down here. I know there are at least two other shooter bucks running around. I feel bad that he can't shoot a doe or young buck so his chances are limited but rules are rules and we are not going do anything to screw it up.

My oldest son hasn't gone at all this year, football takes up all of his early season time and he is determined to get a scholarship for college so since the season ended he has dedicated himself to a rediculous workout routine. I don't think he really has much interest in hunting anyway. Which is fine. I have the younger one.

Helgermite- I shoot rage broadheads. I think my field point would have done the job on that shot. The shot entered where you see in the pic and hit the opposite shoulder. No exit wound and I shoot 70 lbs. at 15 yds I was surprised to see no pass thru. In this case it didn't matter because he was spewing blood immediately and dropped within 45 yds of me.

25-Nov-15
Congrats on the buck sir!

30-Nov-15
Shot a doe with my recurve the day after Thanksgiving. Didn't hear much gunfire at all last weekend in my area.

• Sitka Gear