Emmitt 21-Nov-15
Will 21-Nov-15
Emmitt 21-Nov-15
STM 21-Nov-15
The Dark Knight 22-Nov-15
Heartshot 22-Nov-15
Al Gambardella 22-Nov-15
21-Nov-15
harvested a large doe in Scotland CT. Wednesday. When I was butchering the front shoulder I located a large green colored mass. I was shocked when I exposed the area... she looked super healthy.

Has anyone ever seen such a thing... it was obviously an infection / abscess / puss. I think the doe had been previously shot with an arrow in the shoulder.

Any advise would be welcome... should I eat the remaining meat or dispose of the entire deer... there was no bad odor or evident injury.

21-Nov-15
If it was solidly walled off in a cyst, the rest is probably 100% ok. Crazy to see. Did you poke around to see what was in the middle of the cyst?

21-Nov-15
it was nasty... i didnt because was not sure what it was

21-Nov-15
If you still have it post some pictures before and after you open it up, could be interesting.

22-Nov-15
Could be abscess or cyst, only way to find out is drain it to see contents. Was it fluctuant? Hard? Rubbery? These things will suggest one over the other or something else. Could be abscess from arrow hitting previously and becoming infected

22-Nov-15
I've seen it before where a deer was shot previously no limp looked great shot her and found it usually if it's a green yellow color it's an infection in my Deere case she was fine I discarded the front shoulder and ate the rest

22-Nov-15
We had the same thing happen and when i opened it up there was small piece of arrow in the deer's shoulder buried inside the meat, the arrow was about 3 inches long.

• Sitka Gear