Bloodtrail 22-Nov-15
bigbuckbob 22-Nov-15
whaler 22-Nov-15
STM 22-Nov-15
spikehorn 22-Nov-15
Megaman 22-Nov-15
GF 22-Nov-15
22-Nov-15
I had a doe do the same thing a few years ago.

22-Nov-15

Richm444's embedded Photo

Richm444's Link
Well the same area that I spooked out a snorting wheezing buck awhile ago produced a mom and 3 fawns.

The wind was in my favor this day.

Interesting reaction from Mm though

Mom got within 15 yards and she spotted me. She did the foot stomping thing but instead of bolting she left the fawns behind and walked directly in front of me at about 5 yards. The babies then followed.

Instead of bolting though she stopped and continued to check me out or quite awhile. I was waiting for dad but he never showed up

I passed on them LoL

22-Nov-15
I would have done the same

22-Nov-15
I would have passed on them also bud I shot a doe last week but only because there was 7 together and I know the little ones will stay with the other 2 adult does

22-Nov-15
Let them walk

22-Nov-15

Richm444's Link
here is a wascally wolf running around the woods by my house

22-Nov-15

5 yards

22-Nov-15
Good man. One those 3 fawns will be a mighty buck one day.

22-Nov-15
A doe with spotted fawns, I pass.

Last month, I dropped a doe that had 2 yearlings, without spots, with her. I have also passed on a does with yearlings, without spots.

If you took this doe, I'm good with that…passing on this doe, I'm good with that also.

22-Nov-15
Very cool to see so close.

I'd have passed too. Can't grow the herd if guys keep killing the baby makers.

Thanks for sharing!

22-Nov-15
For me, it's the right thing to do.

22-Nov-15
pass.

22-Nov-15
Went without a harvest last year making the same choice several times, I hope that it pays off this year.

22-Nov-15
You did the right thing! I did the same thing yesterday. The young are with their mother for a reason IMO.

22-Nov-15
good call ....just got back from NY STATE..was seeing 5 to 10 does daily..also had a fork 10 ft under my ladder stand..PASSED on all. saw the bruiser buck ONCE out of range.. back next week....

22-Nov-15
I don't see any kind of a shot I'd be willing to take in the top pic, but it might just be the wide-angle lens. If I could see what was twigs and what was shadows on that broadside fawn on the left, I think I'd draw a very fine bead on that little red berry, assuming a decent window. Gimme range, perfect aiming dot, and if you're in an area where the does are in good enough condition to be dropping triplets? Not going to do any harm to that herd, and deer can't really be stockpiled anyway. Besides - fawns are awfully good eating, and easy to haul out.

Second doe is too much on alert, but as shots go, it doesn't get much better than that otherwise. I don't know… Maybe the compound is quick enough that it wouldn't matter, but for a recurve, it just seems like bad juju!

But if she was just moseying on past, she looks like a prime candidate for the freezer. So in that case, it really is just a matter of where you're hunting. On private land where numbers are good, no problem. Good groceries. State land… Probably pass, even though it's more than likely the last good chance of the year at this point. Though honestly, it's not as if any of the shotgunners would pause to think for so much as an instant.

And at the rate I've been killing deer in the past 5-10 years? If the herd collapses, I'm not going to be the one to blame.

• Sitka Gear