Contributors to this thread:
deerman406 23-Nov-15
tcosmic 23-Nov-15
deerman406 23-Nov-15
deerman406 23-Nov-15
sweet old bill 24-Nov-15
deerman406 24-Nov-15
23-Nov-15
I have had good luck in the mid west decoying over the last 5 years. Kansas, Ohio, Indiana and Illinois have all seen me bringing in some bucks to "Fred" my decoy. I have not had near as much luck in NY but I have killed 2 bucks over decoys here. It seems here late in the rut when the bucks are looking for any leftovers is the time. I figure that time is now. I killed a busted up 6pt. 2 years ago out of this same stand I am setting up on today. Lets hope it works again. I will try and post a few pics. of my set up later. I am gonna film this hunt as well but I have no clue how to post that. Wish me luck!! I am on my way in 5 minutes! Shawn

23-Nov-15
Are you setting up in fields? Are you using a doe decoy or buck and doe combo? I have brought them in before but much earlier. Whats the latest in November that you have used them?

23-Nov-15

deerman406's embedded Photo
deerman406's embedded Photo
I set up tonight in a field in a bottom. It is like a big bowl and any deer cruising the 3 ridges that surround it can look down and see the decoy. I had a spike come into it and would not commit, he would come no closer than 30 yds. I also had a doe fawn come in and feed around the deke for about 20 minutes and she actually walked up to it twice and sniffed it and kept feeding. Than right at dark I had a nice 8pt. come in and circle the decoy. He again would not commit and did not offer a good shot. I ended up being stuck ion the tree by him until about 5:20 before he actually committed and bumped the decoy and took off. It was a good day in the stand. I am going to try again in the morning in the same field but from a different set. Shawn

23-Nov-15
I actually killed that broken up 6pt. I mentioned earlier the end of the first week of December. He came in and sniffed the feather I had attached to his horn treated with buck urine and ran out to 48 yards and that is when I noticed he was hurting and I shot him. I never use a doe decoy by itself and always use Fred with only one horn. I have also used him early in the season Oct. 3rd or so and have had bucks come into see who the new guy in their area was. Shawn

24-Nov-15
will my 3D deer targets work on my range ? as a lure to bucks in the area...one year I have one 3D buck targets nocked down and you could see on the side were a bigger deer had gored him.

24-Nov-15
I at one time used a buck 3D target and a bedded Delta doe decoy. It worked well but was way too heavy to bring in and out of the woods. I also had a guy shoot my buck decoy from about 150 yards away with a .22 caliber rifle. What amazed me was that he hit it! Shawn

• Sitka Gear