deerman406 25-Nov-15
KPD 25-Nov-15
deerman406 25-Nov-15
pogo 26-Nov-15
deerman406 26-Nov-15
bow shot 27-Nov-15
deerman406 27-Nov-15
25-Nov-15
I figured I would post this although I suck!! I went out today at 1:15. A lot of deer moving on my way to stand. I saw 7 does and a couple small bucks on my mile walk in to my stand. I than saw nothing until 4:21 when 3 does appeared above me two my right. They worked down a trail and got down wind but never buggered. They fed on acorns a few minutes and I look to my left and there stands a big doe at 20 yards. She bleats and looks back and than come down a run and out into the field below me. She than trots out into the field about 80 yards where she stands and bleats and keeps flicking her tail. I look back and here comes her fawn, the fawn starts her way but she turns and lowers her head and actually runs the fawn off. This is when I hear him. I turn and hear comes a nice 10pt. I would say 135-140" deer. He comes out to the field and I try and stop him, he won't stop and starts chasing the doe. After about 5 minutes he finally stops offering me a shot I know is 31 yards, problem is I set my pin for 25 yards and so I hold on the top of his back, well shoot for distance was 25 yards, so guess what? I hit right where I held and may of shaved some hair off his back. He just stood and I managed to nock another arrow but the doe got the better of him and he was off after her before i could settle in for another shot. Just stupid on my part. I had just ranged everything an hour before and I should of known the shoot for distance was 25 yards. I will be back in the same tree in the morning as I am sure they will still be in there. Stupid, stupid, stupid!! Shawn

25-Nov-15
What you shooting? 6 yard difference shouldn't result in that big an elevation change at that distance.

25-Nov-15
I was 65 feet above the deer at least. I am 30ft. up and on a side hill and he was in the field below me. I ranged the spot after he chased the doe off and it was 31 yards and shoot for distance was hovering between 25-26 yards. I know better as I have killed probably 15 deer from this tree. It was just as I said, stupid on my part. Shawn

26-Nov-15
That's why it's called hunting, not killing.

Don't be too hard on yourself!

Happy Thanksgiving friend!

26-Nov-15
No I should be hard on myself, I kill that deer 99 times out of 100. Just a bit to relaxed and no urgency after the season I am having. Killed my best buck in NY and my best ever out of state buck, so this would of ended my season on a high note. Still lots of time! Shawn

27-Nov-15
I shot 2' over the back of a 130 this year. No idea what happened, and I've been doing this 35 years. It happens. Great memory, great story, great time. So you didn't get the deer. Oh well.

You know what we are seeing in my area since the beginning of season? I've seen 5 total, I've had probably 10 sits about 4 hours each (I'm working lots of OT and in school again this year, so not much time to hunt). My well seasoned veteran bowhunter has seen about 3 more and he hunts like crazy. Be thankful for what you have my friend.

27-Nov-15
No, I am not upset. I killed 2 P&Y bucks this year plus another 4.5 year old and a couple does. I have seen deer every sit. It was just stupid on my part, that is all. I know better ecsp. at that steep angle. Shawn

• Sitka Gear