steve 02-Dec-15
Wild Bill 06-Dec-15
deerman406 06-Dec-15
deerman406 06-Dec-15
SixLomaz 07-Dec-15
cuntrytocity 07-Dec-15
bigbuckbob 08-Dec-15
27-Nov-15
Not sure about you guys, but I am not seeing a thing! Seems like one of the weirder years that I can remember, bumper crop of acorns, but warm then cold, then warm again. i am not even seeing a lot of sign, scrapes etc. What are you all seeing (if anything)

27-Nov-15
Nada. One place I hunt is hay fields with an apple tree. It would be common to see them in the fields at night. Not this year. The other is a corn field that you would see them again just about every night in numbers. Again not this year. I have seen some on occasion just not close enough for a shot. The corn had some winter rye put down but they keep spreading manure on it all of the time. Not sure if this would affect them. I do see where they are eating the acorns, just not when I'm around. I would think they would like a nice salad from time to time and feast upon some hay. Those acorns must really bind em up. Buck sign was also minimal this year. I did see a fresh scrape the other day made by a young one. I heard some third party information that the 2nd rut was starting. Hope it's better then the first. So today I will put on some camo shorts and tee shirt and give it another go.

27-Nov-15
Hotter than Tartarus out there. Animals are slowing down because they have winter clothing on

27-Nov-15
Abundant predators, replacement tags in addition to the 4 per person allowed, slack laws allowing spikes, forks and other juvenlie bucks to be taken, combined with a long season, white buffalo also...thrats my answer..each time i go to NY state i see deer on the highway let alone the land i hunt...not so here

27-Nov-15
I did see one deer off in the distance three weeks ago. I called, but to no avail. When retrieving my practice blunts I spotted a small rub that made me hopeful. But today, my best hilltop is barren of game, not even a squirrel today. I did hear a couple of squirrels barking at something in the distance and thought I might see a coyote or fox, but nothing. Off in the distance I heard two single shots at different distances/directions and thought something might be bumped to me from there, nope. I'm hoping that once the cold settles in for good, with maybe a dusting of snow, that tracks will tell me they are still around.

27-Nov-15
Empty woods.

27-Nov-15
Went to the new spot this morning with high hopes. Went in blind in the dark, sat till 9am after not seeing a thing, and did some still hunting. The owner who gave me permission said he didn't know of anyone else hunting the area, well I found 3 separate stands, all empty, within 500 - 600 yards of where I put up my stand in the dark.

Scratch that spot. I'm done for the year anyway. One of the worst years ever for me, didn't see one decent buck, but that's ok, just like getting out.

27-Nov-15
That sucks bud..at least you still have your old spots,sort of..lol

27-Nov-15

grizzlyadam's embedded Photo
grizzlyadam's embedded Photo
I've had one of my most productive seasons, seen lots of deer up until the end of october then it slowed way down until mid november, its picking up pretty good again now. I spent the first few weeks of november hunting one specific buck on a property that is very low percentage for sightings if deer, so that didn't help. I shot this big doe yesterday with the rifle to top off the freezer. Nothing but a big cranker from here on out. Saw a few good bucks so far and missed a nice one a week and a half ago. I think abundant acorns and apples, predators, overcrowded woods, warm weather, over hunting spots, etc... have led to many people having a "bad"season this year. Deer hunting aint easy like on tv.

27-Nov-15
Saw four does on state bowhunting only spot yesterday.

But like Mega said. Too many deer had been killed in the past and guys are still trying to kill anything, just to say they killed something.

If you find good sign in a good area, you'll see deer if you know what you're doing.

27-Nov-15
I HARVEST TWO DEER A YEAR... I AM NOT A TROPHY HUNTER HOWEVER I HAVE HARVESTED MANY SUPER NICE BUCKS.... I BELIEVE THE DEER POPULATION PROBLEMS BEGAN THREE YEARS AGO WHEN WE HAD THE MASSIVE SNOW STORMS... MANY DEER SUFFERED AND DIED DUE TO THE TERRIBLE WEATHER... I TRULY BELIEVE THE OVERALL DEER POPULATION IS WAY DOWN... MAYBE IF DEEP CLOSED DEER SEASON FOR A COUPLE OF YEARS THE POPULATION WOULD REBOUND AND WE AS RESPONSIBLE HUNTERS COULD CONCENTRATE ON PREDATORS LIKE COYOTE

27-Nov-15
What if the season was closed for 2yrs .AND a 2 week lottery Bear season opened plus unlimited Yote season..also a 3 point per antler limit, once it reopened, Shorten the season..2 tags per hunter annually...NO replacement tags... and harvested deer must be checked it at local area DEEP station...just a thought

27-Nov-15
I agree 100 % with what Megaman has said in both posts.Couldn't have worded either post better.

27-Nov-15
Go back to actual tags that you have to punch to keep people honest

27-Nov-15
Agree on the tag limit and opening of a predator season. Can't buy a deer sighting up here. need some light snow. That almost always gets them on their feet but doesn't look like anytime soon. Way too warm this year. Muzzle loader maybe.

27-Nov-15
Whew! Thought I was alone in sightings and thoughts on deer. Can't say I am glad, but at least I know I am not totally nuts. Thanks guys!

27-Nov-15
With so few deer, maybe the state should fine people who are killing them on the road. That way the state could then reimburse bow hunters the cost of their license when they have a season without getting a deer. :)

Congratulations Grizz. Good for you, you're making it look easy.

28-Nov-15
Megaman "What if the season was closed for 2yrs .AND a 2 week lottery Bear season opened plus unlimited Yote season..also a 3 point per antler limit, once it reopened, Shorten the season..2 tags per hunter annually...NO replacement tags... and harvested deer must be checked it at local area DEEP station...just a thought"

I'm going to say this respectfully…..

Don't ever wish/push for the deer season to be "closed for 2 years..and shorten the season".

With the anti hunting attitude and anti hunting groups, it will be nearly impossible to get the season back.

Look at how many years it took to get Sunday hunting. And now you want to close the season!?

I will also call out this…"slack laws allowing spikes, fork horns and other juvenile bucks to be taken….a 3 point per antler limit"..

Don't try to enforce your hunting wants on other hunters. If you only kill mature bucks, great. But don't push your agenda of having a big 8 behind every tree on others.

Many hunters have very little time to get in the woods, with work and family obligations. If they only get out 2-3 times, and a small buck comes by, that hunter should have the right to take it if he/she wants.

I have seen many deer this season, killed 2, and passed on a couple of others. That's due to the abundance of acorns where I am hunting.

Leave the deer management to the state biologists.

28-Nov-15
State biologists,.....I think a person can take about 12-13 deer a year legally in CT (and that doesn't include replacement tags). That isn't sound management any longer in CT. The biologists haven't adjusted for anything other than "kill all the deer".

28-Nov-15
Mr Airleak, inflate the cuff and/or put the pluerovac to suction,, its ok to voice your opposition. i dont see you posting any suggestions or ideas on how to improve deer conservation. Moreover, there is something called the FIRST AMENDMENT which allows me to state my opinion. What ive written is not any agenda, some of it is STATE LAW IN NY State,ie. 3 points per antler is NY STATE LAW, look it up. As a hunter I am amazed you were not aware of that... .I see more deer there than i see here in CT..Im wondering why? Closing the season was not my idea, but now I agree it is a bad idea, esp with the antihunting sentiment in CT

Deer numbers are low in CT, that is a fact.. by some miracle will they improve next year when you shoot everything on sight without restrictions and without a predator control season?? How about the ridiculous pics of spikes, forks and other juvenile deer harvested for "the freezer" aka slob hunting.. Shoprite or Stop and Shop can fix the freezer problem. Allowing the biologist, who introduced coyotes/fisher cats/more bears into CT to somehow "improve" deer numbers is not going to work...A predator control season, with restrictions on tag numbers, and possibly a shorter season to improve numbers is my answer....its ok to disagree...

28-Nov-15
How many people do you know that are killing 12-13 deer per year?

And if so, where are these deer being killed?

Predators are taking a big chunk because that's what predators do.

28-Nov-15
Grizz - glad to hear you're having a good year, guess it's your turn, mine was last year :)

28-Nov-15
Air Leak, just wanted to make sure you knew how absurd that regulation is for sound management in reference to your comment about letting the biologists do the deer managing.

I'm not siding with anyone, but Mega makes a strong point about a lot of guys on here killing small deer, buttons, "tagging out", etc. just for filling the freezer...or just to say you killed one. It cost a hell of a lot more pound for pound for venison than buying beef at the store. A lot more.

We've had this discussion on here before....what would we like to see for good conservation of CT deer....the majority pushed for Sunday hunting with a tag reduction. There's a way to manage the herd for numbers and age if done properly.

28-Nov-15
Reducing the tags is one thing that may have to be looked at…

However, what really frosts me, is when guys want to push their agenda of only shooting mature bucks, and of belittling anyone that shoots a small buck.

If it is legal, I don't have a problem with anyone shooting whatever they choose.

Guys making a decision to pass on small bucks, and only shoot mature bucks, that is their decision to make, and I say great. Go for it.

Guys shouldn't push that on anyone else, and look down their nose towards hunters that don't follow suit.

28-Nov-15
You know what frost's me..a midget with a snow cone..lol

28-Nov-15
Air

Definitely right when it comes to whats right for each of us. I also get frosted by guys who shoot everything and then complain theres no deer left.

28-Nov-15
My cameras show deer moving at night and coyotes right behind them. They don't seem to be moving during the day much at all. I am definitely going to do some coyote hunting after the season.

29-Nov-15

cuntrytocity's embedded Photo
cuntrytocity's embedded Photo
Abundant acorn crop means less deer taken. I haven't seen as much this year, but I hunt all public land, so I expect the going to be tough. I blew two opportunities earlier this season, and haven't had any luck since then.

At any rate, I just wanted to share a pic of the biggest damn deer I've ever gotten on camera in six years of hunting and I've got to move my bow stand about 60 to 80 yards and hopefully I can get a crack at him next year if he survives.

29-Nov-15
^^ you may be able to get a crack at him the last 2 weeks of the season on public land. It goes back to being only bow. You never know.

29-Nov-15
. Notme you have to call them little peploe now lol . I do think ct has to many tags given out . I would like to see the return of the check stations

29-Nov-15
That's a hell of a state land deer, those big boys don't make me at mistakes hunted hard every year and know where to go when they get pressured. I hope you get a crack at that beast!!

29-Nov-15
Megaman..

Mr Airleak, inflate the cuff and/or put the pluerovac to suction,, its ok to voice your opposition. i dont see you posting any suggestions or ideas on how to improve deer conservation. Moreover, there is something called the FIRST AMENDMENT which allows me to state my opinion. What ive written is not any agenda, some of it is STATE LAW IN NY State,ie. 3 points per antler is NY STATE LAW, look it up. As a hunter I am amazed you were not aware of that... .I see more deer there than i see here in CT..Im wondering why? Closing the season was not my idea, but now I agree it is a bad idea, esp with the antihunting sentiment in CT Deer numbers are low in CT, that is a fact.. by some miracle will they improve next year when you shoot everything on sight without restrictions and without a predator control season?? How about the ridiculous pics of spikes, forks and other juvenile deer harvested for "the freezer" aka slob hunting.. Shoprite or Stop and Shop can fix the freezer problem. Allowing the biologist, who introduced coyotes/fisher cats/more bears into CT to somehow "improve" deer numbers is not going to work...A predator control season, with restrictions on tag numbers, and possibly a shorter season to improve numbers is my answer....its ok to disagree...

You say closing the season was not your idea…look up your first post, first sentence, it's right there.

You say that "as a hunter I am amazed that you were not aware of that"…this is a CT forum, I'm only concerned with CT, not NY. If I hunted NY, I would know the regulations.

"How about the ridiculous pics of spikes, forks and other juvenile deer harvested for "the freezer" aka slob hunting.. "

Now you're criticizing hunters and calling them slob hunters!

Yeah, you have an agenda. You want everyone to hunt the way you do. When they don't, you have a tantrum.

As far as suggestion on what can be done, I do not feel that I need to make any.

29-Nov-15
Hunted 5 days straight, Wednesday until today, all day (except thanksgiving evening)....didn't see one deer. NW CT is at its' ugliest moment right now for deer.

29-Nov-15
Interesting thread and many signs of how tough a year it's been for some. For example someone floats a trial balloon about closing a season and it's turned into that person "wishing or pushing" for a closed season.

It's an idea proposed for discussion along with the long overdue discussion about addressing an overabundance of predators and with the exception of subsistence hunters an overabundance of does being taken at a rate that is no longer sustainable.

What's counterproductive though is to start slapping labels on people so let's table that so we can have a productive conversation on the state of our deer herd.

Everyone does indeed have the right to hunt as he or she sees fit; what people do not have the high ground to do though is to criticize those who point out the obvious consequences of treating the deer herd as a limitless resource.

This may come as a newsflash to some but I don't see the CT DEEP as looking out for the future of hunting. They've dragged their feet on predator hunting and they've grossly overestimated deer numbers for years, only recently being challenged on them. Private citizens putting up their own money have shown in areas of FF county the deer numbers are nowhere near what the CT DEEP reports.

It's not time to consider eliminating unlimited replacement tags for does its years past due. Now we can all sit back and wait and hope the CT DEEP will step in and start actual sound game management or we can act on what we know and see and be the responsible stewards we all can be.

If you're not part of the solution you're part of the problem.

29-Nov-15
Today was the first time I've seen more than one deer during the day since the beginning of this month..not sure if it's a moon thing or the drop in temperature this morning..still eating acorns and whatever is in the field..

29-Nov-15
Well put Mike.. It's called hunting not catching (even though that's what my kids ask me every time I come back from the woods " catch one dad?").

Nature always finds its own balance, even with our influence. Early season is for does and young bucks, the big boys come into play during the rut. They didn't get big being dumb and the only thing that makes them stupid is hormones.

I guess I'm a cheap "slob". Anyone price out cow lately? Free range organic venison at $3/# way better than $7+ farmed bovine any day of the week. 2 a year keeps me in red meat for a year. If I want a trophy I'll go out west.

29-Nov-15
Mike thank you for keeping us all from getting out of hand and putting the focus Deep and work they heed to do

29-Nov-15
well put Mike..and thank you..ii couldnt agree with you more

Mr Airleak please read Mike in CTs post very carefully..

29-Nov-15
Nice common sense post Mike.

30-Nov-15
OK guys, here is my suggestion…

Every hunter that is concerned about the deer herd…Don't hunt on Sundays. Make Saturday your only day to hunt. If you can't hunt on Saturday, then skip that weekend, and hunt the next Saturday. There, that way you can help the deer herd by cutting back on your hunting.

And Megaman, if you think that he was referring to me, think again.

You are the one to criticize others, and call them "slob hunters".

That is the problem with this site..too many arm chair biologists.

And getting back to the original topic… Yes, I am seeing deer. More the past 2 years than the previous 2 years, due to the acorns in my area. Before last year, I couldn't find an acorn, and I saw few deer.

Last week, I had a group of 12-13 deer come down off the ridge, and feed..4 adult does, the others a mix of yearlings and fawns without spots.

The adults got a pass, as I have killed 2 deer this year and my "freezer is filled".

30-Nov-15
I agree with Mike's post and would just add that any plan to reduce tags in CT must be done by each specific area, and not a blanket approach to the entire state.

The NW corner for example was once the place to hunt in western CT for state land hunters, now it's tough to find a deer during the season due to predation; and the state has been doing a study to determine the impact on the herd in this area.

The SW corner may be able to support a higher tag limit while the eastern areas may have different limits all together.

For me, this was not a good year. No shot opportunities due to the lack of buck activity in my area and only saw 3 deer all season. But I also know I didn't get out as much as I usually do either, so I can't complain. You get out, what you put in when it comes to hunting.

30-Nov-15
I may add, anyone that is concerned with the numbers, shut your season down, and take the next 2 seasons, 2016 and 2017, off as well.

Come back in 2018, and limit yourself to one deer.

How many will sign up for that one?

30-Nov-15
Air, you've missed the point. If its legal, guys are going to kill...some will still kill...even if its not legal. I'd like to think most of follow the rules. And if that's the case, a lower tag allotment would provide ample hunting opportunities while still allowing the herd to flourish.

As a hunter I feel that we should discuss topics like this to get all of us to think....think about how we are the ones who ultimately manage our resource.

I know when we used to have two tags for archery (one either sex and one doe tag), I was pretty selective because I didn't want to blow my buck tag on anything. I can attest that many of the bow hunters I knew practiced hunting this same way. Now with all the tags, what's stopping hunters from killing just to fill the freezer and then trying to kill a larger buck?? It happens on this site frequently.

So you see, as long as it's legal, it will happen. Similarily, if a lower tag alottment was in place....most guys are going to follow this regulation. We can still enjoy our opportunity in the woods while practicing better management of a renewable resource.

30-Nov-15
Tragedy of the commons...

Back to the original topic, Im getting more daytime activity on cams. One over a scrape by my new #1 target buck which I have never seen before. A lot of doe activity all day long.

30-Nov-15
I hunt NW corner, public and private. Saw more deer this year than usual, especially does. No complaints here.

Also heard more shots this year than the past couple of years so I think others were seeing them too.

30-Nov-15
Toonces

glad to hear someone is seeing them in NW corner.

I know Nev has been hunting in one of the same areas I use and he was into them. Could he's causing the deer to change their movements and they're bypassing my stand location.

30-Nov-15
BBB,

The guy I normally hunt with didn't see much this year in areas he has had a good deal of success in the past. He hunts lower around swamps, cut lines and thick cover. He didn't see much of anything.

Everything I saw was way up near the top of ridges in wide open hardwoods. I had four does bedded within 50 yards of me for an hour one morning on an open ridge side. I had to move to answer nature's call, then they moved too.

I saw enough deer to keep me interested. I am fine with seeing very few deer so what seems like a lot to me is probably not a lot to others. Had some nice comfortable weather, a comfortable log to lean against, and a couple of good books. The deer were an added bonus.

This was mostly during the shotgun/rifle season. I only got out a few times with the bow.

30-Nov-15
I agree with you Toonces, as long as I see a few deer during the season, I'm cool with it. Hunting public land, I don't expect a whole lot of opportunities, just have to take advantage of the ones that present themselves. The past three deer I've had a chance at, I blew it because of my mistakes, just a part of hunting. I hunted up high on the ridges on Saturday, but some guys were shooting so much, like 30 shots within an hour, I knew I wasn't going to see a damn thing.

30-Nov-15
Toonces

well that makes sense because I've been hunting river bottoms and thick stuff. I have a great place on the top of ridge that I didn't visit this season, so maybe the 2nd half of bow season I'll take a walk,....good know, thanks.

country - where are you hunting because I want to stay clear of any place where guys are blasting away :) WOW!

30-Nov-15
3 points on a side is not a NYS law. It is a law in some counties but not a whole lot. It has helped as far as bigger bucks being killed but it has done little to help deer populations. In fact the county south of me has that restriction and also very few if any doe permits issued and most are saying they are seeing fewer deer. I believe a lot of what you guys are experiencing is the same as here. Really tough winters for a few years and predation by coyotes and black bears is taking its toll. Also for guys wanting to take some meat, stop shooting the older does. If you really want or need meat shoot a doe fawn, otherwise you are killing 3 deer because that big doe you killed will most likely have 2 fawns in the spring. If the state biologist cannot do it, we must mange ourselves. Shawn

30-Nov-15
wherever there are acorns- there are deer. they don't need to travel, and if you find a productive white oak- that's where the deer will be. The bucks are wherever there are does and now, they're waiting on the next round of lovin'

30-Nov-15
I will say I have seen a lot of deer this year . Well for the last 3 yrs I have seen a lot of deer . Not to brag cause it never ends up good and I am great full as hell . But the property I have landed to hunt is so over run with deer due to the lack of hunting it for 10 yrs prior to myself landing permission. That being said with all the does being 100 to 115 lbs I find them small . There are some big bucks on the property but there is also ALOT of small scrub bucks . So I feel if I can fill my freezer and not worry about rack size I might end up with a much healthier herd and maybe some bigger deer . I myself have two more bow tags left and one antlerless tag for shot gun . I don't think I will end up filling the three of them .

01-Dec-15
I was along the shoreline area "BBB" and I can assure you it wasn't me, I have and use strict discipline with my firearms. One well aimed shot on that deer, not saying I'm perfect, but a whole lot of shooting means you aren't proficient with your weapon or it's an immature hunter using shotgun season as an excuse to shoot up the woods. I've only seen it twice in my six years of hunting, and this past Saturday was the second time. Just makes you afraid to try still hunting when you know you're sharing the woods with someone like that.

01-Dec-15
State land hunting is a very serious task . I have had my bird dogs shot my best Frei ds son took bird shot to the arm . And deer season is just as bad . I was sitting zemco two yrs ago and had a group of guys (rabbit) hunting blasting off rounds right near me as I'm in tree with my bow . I wasn't to happy and I let them know it . Come to find out not one of them spoke English .

01-Dec-15

Legolas's Link
Interesting data on page 13, the more acorns = less deer harvested. I think cuntrytocity commented on it. I would have thought the opposite. Oh well

http://www.ct.gov/deep/lib/deep/wildlife/pdf_files/game/deersum2014.pdf

02-Dec-15
I have to say it hasn't been a bad year, lots of small bucks but I haven't seen many does the acorns have defiantly caused the low sighting DAVE passed on at least 8 smaller 8 ptrs and many small bucks but he hunts every day for 6 weeks are game cameras have been slow but my plot watchers has lots of deer wondering around its all about the food and most of are spots had a great rut . Steve

06-Dec-15
Almost a shot yesterday. Started the day by seeing a large antlered buck step away from the drivers side of the road, in the dark, as I drove by. Thought I had a big buck chasing doe at about 10am. As they came back again at 11am, I saw that it was a spike trying to get to a doe that was being guarded buy a big heavy eight-point. The spike was bumped my way and approached me from behind my tree. At fifteen yards the wind shifted to him and he lit out of there like his tail was on fire. Tried several calls at different times,but the other deer did not respond. The big buck was forty yards away, but not a shot there. Oh yeah, at sunrise I discovered I was next to a turkey roost. I got to see eight to ten gobblers fly down. No deer, but nice hunt.

06-Dec-15
Air Leak makes some great points and the one I agree with most is no one and I mean no one who hunts should ever mention anything about shutting an existing season down. We as sportsman have worked very hard to get our seasons and as soon as we give something up we may never get it back. I know I am not from Conn. but we are all hunters and should work at managing the deer herds in some way. This may mean only shooting a deer a year instead of 5 or 6. Trust me, for years I was one of those guys. I have killed as many as 17 does in a season. Why? The farmer wanted them dead and the land was struggling to support that many. That was 23 years ago, not the same property I take a couple deer a year and only shoot doe fawns and older age bucks. WHY? Because that is how we manage the property now. MY point s, what was right just several years ago, may not be right now. Have Fun!! Shawn

06-Dec-15
I also would like to say, I come here and post because you guys keep your state forum interesting and up to date on issues, not like my home state forum!! Shawn

07-Dec-15
This year I have observed plenty deer in the field at all my hunting spots. I do not use bait to attract them. I just find well traveled deer areas and settle there. I had two clear shots, one before a 4 week long lower back problem which coincided with rut period, the other just recently.

The first was an early morning 10 point buck, brisket shot, clear bright blood (few bubbles in it) on the ground. I lost the blood trail after almost a mile long tracking job. I scoured the area for the next 3 days attempting to recover what I thought to be a dead deer. No luck, disappointment, uneasy feeling settled in. A month later I got pictures of him at night. That was a relief. Last pic was today December 7 at 12:26 am. He is definitely teasing me.

My second shot was on the afternoon of December 5th after a morning bust when some children voices in the forest scared the deer (2 does) away before they got in shooting range. However, the afternoon session brought 5 does my way. I took a 38 yard broadside shot from 35 feet up in the tree on a wary deer. She was not alarmed but extremely cautious as if she knew exactly which tree to check for danger. Mind you I have not visited that tree in almost a month. I recovered the deer the same day after more than 1 hour search and tracking in the dark; almost 200 yards away from point of impact.

I am extremely happy with only one deer in the freezer and even more content that the first target, the 10 point buck, is still alive and going strong. This is the end of the season for me, not because I do not enjoy hunting but because I asked for a deer, I got it, and now it is time for me to keep my end of the bargain.

2nd rut brought some small bucks cruising during daytime while the older boys are taking cover at night. The deer are again active and visible at all hours. Soon they will settle in the winter pattern. The time to remove field equipment and scout for sheds is getting closer.

07-Dec-15
Good post Six.....it's nice to be content. Congrats on your deer.

08-Dec-15
Six

glad to hear you got your deer this year and that the buck survived, they are tough animals.

Sorry to hear about your back, hope things have worked out for you since the back is probably the worst pain you can have.

• Sitka Gear