Naz 04-Dec-15
Elkaddict 04-Dec-15
South Farm 04-Dec-15
Cheesehead Mike 04-Dec-15
smokey 04-Dec-15
South Farm 04-Dec-15
Elkaddict 07-Dec-15
27-Nov-15
What I am about to say, might be controversial, and you might think I am nuts, but my source is solid, working for years on being on the side of deer hunters.

My source like any good informant has to remain confidential.......

I also would like to say, it woke me up, and in many ways I was a supportive of the state, and trusted them. I also believed in the WBH, the buck and bear club, whitetails unlimited and others...... My source said, its really not their fault, they also bought into the kool aid, and supported the state in good faith.....

My source also said, that one of the main problems, is though this topic is important to us as hunters, it is not so to the general public.

no matter the publication, investigative journalism is dead, and has been for a long time....

also maybe the good writers that are out there, would take their blinders off....... the source there was out reach to them, which was ignored......

this entire topic is about the northern deer herd. It has crossed party lines from Thompson to Doyle...... bottom line was to lower the herd, PERIOD...

why, because business was the main interest. both forest mgt, (private), ag, insurance and the old growth forest crowd, wanted a lower deer herd,,,, period....

So how is this accomplished. Wolves were introduced, sure there was already some, but an aggressive trapping out of Ontario, and reintroduction, sped up the process....

cheap tags, most hunters are good honest people who believe in state govt.... well cheap tags, were used to decimate the herd. the average hunters trusted the dnr, that the dnr, wanted what was best for the herd...

reality was that special interest was putting a lot of money in the coffers of the politicians, who for the most part do not hunt, or could careless

the idea that deer hunting for the north is big business is a joke..... snowmobiling and ATV and fishing contribute more to the local economy, and a large deer herd, hits the bottom line, for other business interest

so what we have today, is a deer herd of a few per square mile.....

as hunters we want more deer,,,,,,the only way we can be heard is to contact your legislator,,,,,,, forget the CC, or the NRB, they are spoon fed by special interest.....

this info comes from someone with over 40 years in the field.....

I was told that in reality, complaining about baiting and predators other than wolves, is what they want us to squabble over, and I am guilty of this.......

bottom line, a large herd is not wanted by special interest, ,,,,,

maybe an investigative reporter would get at this, other than the drivel you get form JSN or WON.....

the source has reached out, but no response from the other side.... 1

27-Nov-15
been saying the same thing all along. it really has been quite obvious

27-Nov-15
A little to James Bondish for me but in the end we hunters could end this in 2 years but we are just not smart enough. Stop shooting does. Maybe 10% of hunters get it the other 90% walk blindly.

27-Nov-15
I do not hunt up north, but in south-central Wisconsin.

"We've" said the same thing here for years now. Between insurance companies and the CWD debacle, the numbers are way down where I hunt...waaaay down.

I haven't shot a doe in maybe 15 years, and don't foresee shooting one any time soon.

I've been hunting whitetails since the 60's and have see the ebb and flow of deer numbers, but the last several years it's been just plane ugly.

28-Nov-15
Unfortunately, private land owners are better managers of what they perceive to be the best answer for their particular property. When you have a "coop" of people believing the same principles, you will make more people happy. Public land gets beat down hard, because everyone wants "their share". Predation, bad winters, over harvest, poorly managed forests, lack of farming, and "up north" traditions are very hard on the herd up north. It isn't lost, but it might be broken for sure. My father in law has trail cam pics of a bobcat that killed two fawns, followed by two bears that ate one of the buried deer. They saw 7 wolves two bobcats, and a bear during three days of hunting during gun season. They saw two antlerless deer (both adult does with no fawns of course), and 1 6 point buck that was killed. That ratio of predators to deer is off considerably, and now add one less deer because 1 of 3 hunters was successful.

That is why I won't waste my gas to hunt up north.

Rick talks about what the CWD scare did to the southern farmland area, and it was terrible. Everyone bought into the media scare, but I will say it has bounced back where people let them. I passed over 50 shots on adult deer this archery season, so if the deer can be allowed to recover (by not shooting does), and you have less predators, and mild winters, they certainly can recover. The northern ecosystem seems a bit more fragile considering all the daggers that are against the deer herd. I still believe we as hunters are by far the worst enemy to that population.

28-Nov-15
If the DNR is allowed to continue "managing" the deer herd as they have been (and still are) with the excess tags and extra seasons, and the outdoor media continues misguiding the masses with their "farmland is overrun with deer" bs, along with the tree-bangers piping up the save a tree and the forests are in danger bs, eventually all of wisconsin will be in the same shape as the north. I'm surprised the DNR hasn't trapped and "relocated" a bunch of "problem wolves" into southern/central wi yet where some of us landowners actually do still have enough deer around to buy a tag and enjoy the season. The DNR not being honest on the wolf numbers does not help anything either, it's hard for people to believe there actually is a wolf problem when the DNR/outdoor media pawns continually grossly underestimate the population and downplay what these animals are capable of-- wolves don't thrill kill right? lol what a joke.

28-Nov-15
Pete...I agree the land owners who truely manage their property, especially in conjunction with cooperative nieghbors, have experienced a tremendous recovery from the CWD scourge.

Unfortunately, I do not own my hunting spot. Although my son and I are the only bowhunters there, it's hugely overpopulated with the gun hunters...as are the neighboring properties...and if it's brown it's down.

Hunter R...don't kid yourself, we've got wolves here now...I'm in Sauk County. Plus, we're overrun with coyotes...never saw or heard any when I was a kid, say...in the 60's, but they're thick now. My best gun season was my last...about 10 years ago...never saw a deer, killed 4 yotes.

28-Nov-15
Razorhead, you or your source lose credibility right off the bat when the claim is made that wolves were reintroduced to Wisconsin.

No such effort was made in Wisconsin. The animals did it on their own with federal and state protection.

Deer management has always been a matter of balancing interests, many of them special interests. Hunters like us might want more deer, even many more. But in the big picture the forestry industry and motorists and agriculture have a lot to say about it.

If you are trying to claim there is some conspiracy to keep deer numbers low in the north, it's not going to get much traction.

The current CDAC process has forestry and transportation reps for a reason. It's right out in public, trying to get input from many sources.

With regard to investigative journalism, the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel has won three Pulitzer Prizes in the last decade, including two for investigative work. Thats fact. If you contacted them with something that had a real basis for investigation, I'm sure they'd follow up on it.

The story of low deer numbers in the north is written every year. High deer kill by hunters in the 2000s, a couple severe winters, relatively poor habitat compared to the old days, higher predator numbers than the old days. Not good for high deer numbers, but not a hidden agenda and not a need for 60 Minutes.

28-Nov-15
+1 archer

28-Nov-15
I totally agree that most journalists are just DNR puppets. I also agree that deer management totally left to the DNR will be a disaster. The reason you don't see wolves widespread in the rest of the state is twofold. A. That's where the majority of the politicians and wolf huggers live. They want the wolves, but not in their backyard. B. They really probably wouldn't do well in the small, fragmented wood lots.

28-Nov-15
Razor as much as I respect you I have to side with ArchersQuest as I am a CDAC representative in my County.

I work along several representatives of the WDNR including the field warden.

I would be the first to cry foul if I had the slightest notion of some type of "conspiracy" but I am not seeing it. The people I interact with are hard working and honest folks trying to make a positive change for hunters.

Does the WDNR make the right choice every time - absolutely not - they have made mistakes. No one is perfect including the WDNR.

Rut - you've always hated the DNR - what's new?

28-Nov-15
"Rut - you've always hated the DNR - what's new?"

I don't hate the DNR, I especially don't hate the DNR's most overworked, under appreciated employees the Game wardens. I do however not have much faith in them at all when it comes to deer, turkey, or predator management. The everyday hard working folks within the DNR are great. Unfortunately there are also a number of lying, cheating, pencil pushing bureaucrats in the DNR.

29-Nov-15
"Bottom line was to lower the deer herd. Period." No secret there, that was the intention! The DNR finally began to try to get hunters to shoot the herd down to legislatively-mandated goals. It worked, and when combined with some tough winters and all the predators, it worked too well in some areas. Add too many mature forests in too many areas and even decent habitat decimated by years of overpopulated deer herds and you have a recipe for trouble in getting numbers back up in marginal areas. Forestry's economic impact dwarfs hunting. But wolves from Ontario? Ontario to MN, MN to WI and U.P., sure, naturally, through the years. Trapped and brought in? Not buying it. There were thousands in MN, and pretty easy to see how they gradually got pushed out and had to find their own territory, and began reproducing here.

Most journalists are DNR puppets ... b.s.

Most outdoor writers are experienced outdoorsmen who hunt, fish, hike, photograph and spend a lot of time outdoors, just like you.

In recent days, sitting and doing small group drives, we saw dozens of does and fawns, and only a few bucks. Tonight, right after one of our 10-year-old hunters scored her first deer on a slow push through wet, thick cover, we walked out, talking loudly, and right across the road (day 9 of the gun deer hunt on heavily hunted parcels) there were eight whitetails in a cut corn field.

We shot several adult does on small group drives and four more were taken on one property we hunt by stand hunters in recent days. That won't even be enough to make up for next year's fawns. On Monday eve of gun hunt there were 15 baldies on one field. Yes, a lot of farm country has a pile of deer right now. If that's buying the koolaid, count me in. We just call it trying to better balance the herd for quality deer of both sexes. We've still got a long way to go.

29-Nov-15
Naz, what does shooting deer in the farm country have to do with "Bottom Line on Northern Deer Herd"?

29-Nov-15
"and even decent habitat decimated by years of overpopulated deer herds and you have a recipe for trouble in getting numbers back up in marginal areas."

where did this happen in the northern deer herd?

29-Nov-15
retro, was responding to HunterR's "and the outdoor media continues misguiding the masses with their "farmland is overrun with deer" bs,"

upnorth, this happened in a lot of places according to private (and DNR) foresters who saw little to no regeneration of preferred species and high browse lines in popular wintering areas. There are parts of the U.P. where we hunted for years that look like parks in the hardwoods and with cedar browse lines so high few whitetails could reach. If not for the ag land in those areas, a lot of those deer would die. Actually, a lot did in recent severe winters up there.

29-Nov-15
was hoping you would name some wi counties not another state

"according to private (and DNR) foresters"

say no more i totally understand. total rubbish.

29-Nov-15

Turkeyhunter's Link
Glad you asked Upnorth.

From the Blotter a couple of years ago...

"Warden Chris Kratcha of Southern Door County and Warden Supervisor George Protogere assisted Wildlife Management and Wildlife Health Staff from Madison with the investigation of approximately 20 dead deer in the Forestville area of Door County. The likely cause of death was due to malnutrition/starvation as a result of an extended winter and exceeding the carrying capacity for the area habitat."

Our camp is barely a stone's throw. So far this year we've killed three bucks - dandy 8,9 and 10s and six additional does. Four during the gun season and two in the early archery season.

Letting all the little bucks walk.

Not finished.

29-Nov-15
turkey and naz door county is in central farmland not northern forest. This thread is about northern deer herd. sure you have some starvation in door county were 40 deer are packed into 15 acre woodlots eating all available food 24/7 365.

29-Nov-15
"turkey and naz door county is in central farmland not northern forest. This thread is about northern deer herd. sure you have some starvation in door county were 40 deer are packed into 15 acre woodlots eating all available food 24/7 365."

Of course I know that. Not arguing the obvious. Just responding to HunterR's "and the outdoor media continues misguiding the masses with their "farmland is overrun with deer" bs,"

The truth will set you free...

30-Nov-15
It's funny the thoughts are hunting does nothing for the northwoods economy. Certainly is doing far less now and decreasing. But, fishing has been destroyed. People are not coming like they use to. Even just 5yrs ago. Many of us guides seen the worst year ever in our careers this year. Most of us 20+ year vets!! Snowmobiling is only good if there is snow. That has not really been good for years. Even then if there is good snow for it. The general state of the economy has that number down. ATV's? Thats a joke. Many northwoods areas dont even allow them yet. Here in Vilas county most still against them are wont allow trails. Just in the last couple weeks my town finally voted for the use of them. Still limited use. Vilas county surely not a hot spot to come riding an ATV.

So for them to say hunting does not play a major role is ludicrous. But they are trying hard to make it so. Getting to be very little reason for folks to come this way. Very little industry in the area. Tourism is down due to above reasons. Is there any wonder why the economy is still failing here?

30-Nov-15
Naz said, "upnorth, this happened in a lot of places according to private (and DNR) foresters who saw little to no regeneration of preferred species and high browse lines in popular wintering areas. There are parts of the U.P. where we hunted for years that look like parks in the hardwoods and with cedar browse lines so high few whitetails could reach. If not for the ag land in those areas, a lot of those deer would die. Actually, a lot did in recent severe winters up there."

Naz, I don't for a moment doubt that is true. However, for as many areas that you can find that are over-browsed, someone can show you an area where that is not true. That is why a single, blanket type approach of deer management does not work. The good Dr. Kroll, who you continuously bash, suggested, and has implemented the CDACs and DMAP. Properly used, these tools can address issues on a local level and help return a balance. Your anecdotal example of over-populated deer may be true for your part of the farmland area but it certainly is not representative of all farmland areas.

Steve, there should be no question in anyone's mind that the economy in the north is heavily dependent on tourism. That said, it is still not the primary job of the DNR to maintain that economy.

30-Nov-15
lots of interesting comments and thoughts. the bottom line was to get the herd down, to as low as possible, and it was accomplished.......

However it has a devastating affect on the north economy, one that in my mind, was not important, to complete the process......

Now though we have turned the page. We have new ideas, and I believe in both the CDAC and the DMAP.

Dr Kroll was correct when he said, because of the diversification of the state, there needs to be different mgt ideas for different areas, which made sense to me.....

I am returning to the north today. Late season with good weather, and the tons of bait, that are drying up, now puts the odds back in my favor, and you have the woods pretty much to yourself......

Steve my comments on ATV and snowmobile, I should have qualified that with the area I am referring to. I have two friends who both own business in Florence Co........ They are packed with ATV's most of the year, and welcome them with open arms. also goes with snowmobiles, yes when there is snow....

they both do not count on deer hunters and have not for quite awhile, although they are surprised how many still come.....

I understand, its not Vilas Co........that is another world.....

bottom line I think, the future, is going to be better for the north, because I think we have new direction with the DNR,,,,,,,,,

I think that those who really do not hunt above Hwy 70, and spend time in those woods, have no idea, what has gone on,,,,,,,,

stay well and hunt safe

30-Nov-15
A few thoughts , Poaching , a major issue . Until I retired i ran a dealership in Antigo . The DNR regional office & garage were next door . When the Wardens brought their trucks in for service I would invite them in for coffee and talk .

The opinion of several Wardens ? Poaching was a huge problem . The bad guys learned that deer & antlers are worth money . Poaching was safer than breaking & entering < deer don't shoot back > .

The poachers range from pros with night vision scopes to locals sitting on corn piles with a small red lite . they say its out of control in the northern 3 rd of the state .

They said they need more Wardens , big fines that local judges can't reduce , & a ban on baiting .

They also blame the trophy hunters < bowhunters > for raising the price of antlers .

30-Nov-15
OH , time to go Deer hunting - wait a minute , theres no Deer .

Oh well , I'll go ice fishing - wait a minute , theres no ice

Oh well , I'll fish the river in the back yard - Wait a minute , theres no fish left in the river .

Oh well , I'll go Snowshoe rabbit hunting - wait a minute , theres no rabbits left .

Am I on to something ??

30-Nov-15
There are squirrels and rabbits aplenty, but you don't see many small game hunters any more. Same with ducks and geese; nothing like the old days of hunting pressure yet record numbers of local geese and ducks. Part of the big drop is access (some of it due to antler mania and not wanting to "scare off" the deer), but part is a changing society, the digital craze age, where there's so much more media distracting folks nowadays. Facebook, smart phones, tablets, laptops; the list goes on and on. Some families gathering at Thanksgiving can't even put their smart phones away and converse. It's a different world today.

30-Nov-15
Like I said, the new "north" is heading south! We are game rich in my particular area. Plenty of deer. Plenty of agriculture. Plenty of squirrels. Plenty of turkey. Plenty of coyote. Less fish. No snowshoe hare. No wolves. No bear. No ice.

Plenty of privately managed land. Very little public land, and PLENTY OF PEOPLE. The available public land is beat to death, and the private land is locked up, and is not easy to get access on.

Am I on to something?

30-Nov-15
Yep Ruger you are....time to head to the Northwoods bars and help stimulate the economy :)

30-Nov-15
NAZ What would it cost to waterfowl hunt for the season in licenses and stamps etc.? Might be part of the answer.

30-Nov-15
Plus the cost of steel shot and the fact that ducks aren't all that great to eat...

30-Nov-15

deadeye's Link
Thank Obama for the waterfowl price increase.

President Obama signs into law the first price increase for the Federal Duck Stamp in more than 20 years. Bringing the cost of a Duck Stamp to $25 beginning in 2015-2016, the price increase ensures that funds will be available to protect an estimated 17,000 additional acres of habitat every year.

30-Nov-15
I don't think raising the price once in 20 yeaars is all that bad, the overall cost to legally duck hunt is though; just means it has been that way for a long time.

I wonder what percentage of stamps are sold to hunters vs. others. If hunters buy the majority, the increase will probably lead to less hunters before it will lead to increased funds. Maybe thats what Obama is after, he's not a friend to the hunter- or any gun owner (except criminals) for that matter.

30-Nov-15

30-Nov-15
If the funds are put back into habitat there's not much too complain about. It just costs a lot to keep / make duck habitat.

30-Nov-15

30-Nov-15
Guys who love waterfowl hunting have more money in a HALF-dozen flocked decoys than they do for their license, stamps and ammo! (And most of the really avid ones have dozens of decoys). Ducks are gorgeous and most taste pretty good; geese on the other hand I've yet to love the taste of and unlike some friends who turn 'em all into smoked meats (often jerky), I have better things to spend any "extra" money on. Love waterfowl hunting, just rarely do it any more. An absolute awesome sport though, esp. if you have a good lab or other retriever.

The stamp increase was at least a decade late. Would have been better to hit folks up before the large economic downturn, but better late than never. A lot of folks buy the stamp and never hunt, collectors and conservationists who know it's probably the greatest return on investment available today for wildlife habitat.

02-Dec-15
The raise in the Federal duck stamp was proposed by many Waterfowlers and groups supporting a raise to $25.00.

Obummer had nothing to do with it other than signing the raise in fee. I just wish they would use some of the money to manage and enhance some of the land already acquired.

02-Dec-15
Where do ducks fit in the northern deer herd?I've hunted Central Price and Eastern Sawyer for over 20 years without bait with a bow and rifle.The DEER herd is nearly gone in most areas.Stop ALL antler less hunts and ban baiting and it may turnaround, or better yet shut it down like they did in the 40's to regenerate the herd.

02-Dec-15
Before anything positive can happen with the Northern deer herd, it has to be a priority to the DNR. It is anything but a priority to them now, in fact it is more of an annoyance to them.

02-Dec-15
"Before anything positive can happen with the Northern deer herd, it has to be a priority to the DNR. It is anything but a priority to them now, in fact it is more of an annoyance to them."

Rut, I respectfully would ask you for any substantiation you have for that comment. In my dealings/talks with DNR personnel, they are very concerned. It is easy to blame any single entity or group but remember, the northern forests are owned and/or managed by various different agencies. And, there is a host of other factors that influence the herd, some of which the department has no control over. Some of the obvious include predators, weather, & legislators. Also, never forget that the department is charged with managing the resources for all the people and unfortunately that includes non-hunters and anti-hunters.

02-Dec-15
CaptMike - can you elaborate on " In my dealings/talks with DNR personnel, they are very concerned."

Concerned about what? If they want to grow the northern herd, then they need to stop increasing the number of antlerless tags every year, and need to stop the antlerless December hunts. They need to boost bear tags. These are things that they can control that will help. They need to start using trend analysis involving car-deer collisions in their population estimates, etc.

They are NOT doing those things now, despite regular and vocal feedback about the decline of whitetails in the northern 1/3 of the State.

They aren't out yet, but I'm willing to be there will be pretty conclusive evidence that most areas in the northern 1/3 of the State are down again this year in kill (if you factor out the increased number of antlerless tags given out).

I understand that they have balance all users needs, but its time the pendulum swings back to put more emphasis on what hunters and small business owners (bars/restaurants, etc) want for the deer population in the north.

02-Dec-15
If I'm not mistaken antlerless tags have been reduced in the NW part of the state...

02-Dec-15
Captmike, you first. Show me something that proves they are very concerned. Actions speak louder than words, so far I have seen very little action towards bettering the northern herd from our DNR. IMO, if it were not for the public outcry, they wouldn't even be blowing the smoke they are presently.

02-Dec-15
Marture/walden woods federal/state lands can not sustain more than 7-10 dpsm. Until massive logging per a shift in policy takes place or a massive fire, nothing will change dpsm wise.

02-Dec-15
"Captmike, you first. Show me something that proves they are very concerned."

Elimination of over-the-counter doe tags. Only available now to youths and select others which I think we will see changed. DMAP. CDAC's.

Your turn.

02-Dec-15
A change in how DMU's are defined. Now auto/deer collision info can be used as before the Dept of Transportation did no record keeping based on the old DMU boundaries.

02-Dec-15
The fact that they still allow special hunts and youth tags when they know it's being abused. The simple fact that they continued to issue tons of otc doe tags when those that lived in the area seen this coming and warned them. When the pencil pushers/figure heads don't live or hunt in the areas they are making decisions for. It makes it kind of hard to take them seriously.

02-Dec-15
I can't believe all the people who are still blaming the DNR for everything. The individual counties are now in charge of setting the antlerless quota, not the DNR. The CDAC is run by people in the county and they have public meetings to get input on the quotas. If you think something should be done differently, go to your County's meetings. The DNR didn't decide to issue the automatic antlerless tag for youth hunters, the Legislature did. They finally realized that the tags were being used as a party tag and changed the law in time for this year's season. The DNR didn't bring wolves in and can't do anything about controlling them until they are delisted again. If you don't want wolves, call your Congressmen and Senators. In the end, it was us the hunters that shot too many deer when the tags were available. The DNR didn't force anyone to buy them or shoot deer.

02-Dec-15
It was the hunters, yes, and predators, yes, and winters, YES. And November is right on with the habitat. Old forests vs. young is night and day in carrying capacity as well as hideouts/escape cover for deer from predators. That said, most northern WI hunters I talked to saw small gains in deer seen this year. DNR did go buck-only in 19 counties last year and a dozen this year, and even with thousands of antlerless taken in total, it amounts to what, one every five square miles maybe? Agree though that if it's bad enough, most kids would learn a good lesson on letting 'em go. My guess is the number of buck-only units will be somewhere between those two numbers next year after all the complaints again this year. (Of course, those who saw an increase or shot deer aren't likely to complain).

02-Dec-15
It was the DNR and their "professional" desk jockey biologists that pushed the slaughter of antlerless deer in the past. It was the DNR that took an excellent management tool like EAB and got too greedy with it, so it had to be taken away from them.

02-Dec-15
Rut, agree EAB was overused in some areas. But as hard as it can be to see deer even when there's a lot of 'em (once they know the hunt is on), I've got a hard time seeing that it's the DNR's fault for having antlerless tags available. There are parts of every unit that can withstand solid antlerless harvest. Extra tags, in a perfect world, are for those hunters. On the other hand, if hunters aren't seeing many deer in their hunt areas, and still decide to use an antlerless tag, that's the DNR's fault?

02-Dec-15
Naz, surely you can see the irony in your arguments. On one hand you say trust the DNR implicitly. On the other hand you say hunters should be our own judge??? If we truly trust our DNR, we should be able to trust that they wouldn't issue tags that we shouldn't be using. Granted there should be a little common sense used. But not all hunters live where they hunt and monitor the population. Not to mention the majority of gun hunters are not serious enough or don't care to do this. They just want to get their tags, go to the woods 2 to 3 days a year and shoot deer.

The DNR wants the money from deer hunting. They want the glory when it goes well. Well then they have to take the heat as well.

02-Dec-15
The D.N.R. is a political org. Take them seriously? Yeah right.....

02-Dec-15
Rut you seem to be making Naz's argument. It's not the DNR's fault that hunters don't know whether their local area has deer to shoot. Short of issuing tags to individual landowners, there will always be parts of management units that have enough deer to sustain antlerless harvest and areas that can't. Nor is it their fault that "gun hunters are not serious enough or care to do it". I work with DNR people all the time and have found nearly every one I have associated with to be passionate about what they do and consumate professionals. They certainly didn't go to work in resource management for the money. The agency is suffering from it being turned into a political football by the legislature and the Governors over the last several election cycles (not just the current administration).

02-Dec-15
skook, +1

Rut, I hear you, but I don't see the irony. I've never said don't question the DNR, and in fact, I've done it myself on any number of issues through the years. Even when getting together now and then with wildlife techs and biologists in the past, we agree on some things and not on others. They're all passionate hunters, only schooled a bit more. Sometimes that helps 'em, sometimes maybe not (as in not knowing when to back off on EAB in order not to completely lose the trust of many hunters - oops, too late). But as Skook said, parts of management units can use a pile of tags while other parts not so much. It should be up to the hunters to decide where that need is greatest. I get what you're saying about some out-of-area gun hunters just wanting to fill tags. But I would argue that if it's that easy to fill doe tags, then there's enough does to sustain that harvest. When deer are down to goal in northern units (10-15/sq. in many units), that's less than a deer per 40; deer at or below goal have been proven time and again tough deer to even see. Even here, in the former "80B" of southern Door and Kewaunee counties, where I hunt, we've been between 40-80 deer/sq. of range forever pre-hunt, and you'll still hear guys complain about how there aren't the deer DNR says there are, etc. Some years we shoot 30+ deer/sq. of range here, yet those who don't have the great spots or maybe aren't the most stealthy hunters still don't get a deer and wouldn't even believe 30/sq. pre-hunt (yet when numbers are high we'll sustainably shoot that many deer year after year!). Once again, it's not all over the "unit," but those who have the better spots and want to manage for quality animals and a more balanced ratio do a lot of trimming of antlerless, year after year — yet continue to have a much higher number of deer/sq. simply because of their ideal habitat.

02-Dec-15
skook, on one hand we are told to make our own decisions which I agree with. On the other hand you and others are saying we should trust the DNR implicitly. I have no beef with the majority of the DNR employees. I know a few, and some are even family. But there are some bureaucrats in the DNR that do nothing useful and in fact hinder those that try to do their jobs.

03-Dec-15
well after 12noon today I am able to be back on the hunt. For me, I have shot enough deer, sure I would like a buck, but this year, its all about observation, and foot travel.

I am lucky to be out everyday, cutting country, tracking etc. after the month, I will post my observations of the north where I hunt.....

I have seen a few more deer than last year, but also the sign is in the woods, and there seems to be a rise in bucks, but not enough to be significant, or make the average hunter happy.....

I have never seen so many trees being marked for the saw. They have more areas to cut, than personnel, but now with the state involved, the habitat issues looks good.

Yet there is still plenty of feed, its just a herd that struggles....... Some of you say that the doe kill that now exists, is not that significant. and in following your posts, many of you who say that, do not hunt the north.....

this year, according to the numbers, the doe kill up in the buck only units, is 30 percent, I would say that is significant.......

a doe tag, to be used statewide, should be issued once, to a hunter safety grad, regardless of age, and than that's it......

those of you who argue, we now have CDAC, have to realize that CDAC, just got started, so as the years go by, this group, hopefully will listen to the hunters, and hopefully, the hunters will go to the meetings and get involved.

and than, the DNR, and the legislators, and the NRB has to uphold and listen to the CDAC, if this new system is going to work, and be qualified......

I know my wildlife manager, he is very concerned. He can not always tell the public, what he thinks, but he is also not happy with the doe kills, and the wolf situation, etc, but he thinks that the habitat issue is going the right way....

what we need is a real warden force. I mean we need some serious LE wardens, we need them to take off their mileage restrictions, and get rid of a lot of nonsense duties they get assigned, and let them really go after, POACHERS......

the north is full of them, night shooting and cheating is a real problem. they need to have a larger warden force, to address the violators in this state, where there are too many.

our wardens are stretched too thin, and have to cover to big of areas........ that is my opinion.......

stay well and hunt safe,,,,,,,,

03-Dec-15
Question? If a buck only county cdac wanted a no means no(youth, military, disabled) doe tag rule for their county would/could the dnr grant it? I doubt it.

03-Dec-15
"the north is full of them, night shooting and cheating is a real problem"

Therein lies a huge problem. At least wolves (illegally right now) and bears can be shot, and we've got another mild start to winter which should help (I know, winter hasn't officially started yet, but it's looking good so far).

03-Dec-15

smokey's embedded Photo
smokey's embedded Photo
Excellent post Razor.

My observations so far: I checked a cam this afternoon and there are no deer left up here ;-)

03-Dec-15
Great photo smokey, really makes me miss the northwoods! Maybe next year...

03-Dec-15
smokey, what county? You following me around :)

I've got a rack that looks like that. I killed him during ML season. He came out of a spot that looks extremely similar. I know it isn't, just really cool coincidence. I'll try and remember to pic the rack tonight. Yours is about 8" bigger I'm guessing....score wise.

03-Dec-15
what a great pic. I swear I can smell those spruce trees!

03-Dec-15
Sawyer County. I will be hunting there Friday and the weekend but I hope I do not see him or at least let him walk if I do see him. I would like to have him make it until next year and get him with my bow.

But then, I have never shot anything other than paper with my muzzleloader.

03-Dec-15
I'd take that one in a heartbeat, a gorgeous, mature buck. Good luck!

03-Dec-15
I hope you don't mind smokey, I saved your photo to my hard drive and I'm going to use it for a motivational PC wallpaper when the time is right... :^)

03-Dec-15
Actually, my decision to shoot is never based on score or some other influence but rather if it feels like the right thing to do then I shoot. I will see what happens. I prefer bowhunting but...

Edit: So far this year I have already measured three bucks from the area in the 150" class and two more waiting for the 60 day drying period that likely will go higher. Makes me want to let this one grow.

04-Dec-15
It's a personal choice, and I know photos can be deceiving, but man that deer looks to be an older buck, longer and deep?

04-Dec-15
Of course I forgot the rack picture. Good luck.

04-Dec-15
The reason you guys keep getting these trail-cam pics of bucks is because they are running all over hell trying to find a doe to screw...of which there are damn few! Couple pictures is hardly a testament to a driveling deer herd.

04-Dec-15
I agree that bucks in the northwoods have to cover a lot of ground to find receptive does and they probably spend more time on their feet during daylight hours looking for some action...

04-Dec-15
Lighten up South Farm. I was making a joke.

04-Dec-15
Don't misconstrue one exclamation point for being bent out of shape over the issue, Smokey. Nothing personal, just one man's observation is all..

07-Dec-15

Elkaddict's embedded Photo
Elkaddict's embedded Photo
Picture doesn't do the similarity justice.

• Sitka Gear