geno 29-Nov-15
Wild Bill 29-Nov-15
Ridgehunter 29-Nov-15
Toonces 30-Nov-15
yukon roz 30-Nov-15
28-Nov-15

geno's embedded Photo
geno's embedded Photo
Been hunting a spot for the last few weeks- with a bead on 2 bruisers we got on cam first few stands were observation posts- just trying to get a sense of pattern without getting too close. After 3 stands, we felt pretty good about how these guys were moving through this particular set up and closed the gap.- this week has been perfect weather/ wind, and the deer have been up on their feet on a pretty consistent pattern. Thanksgiving AM we ranged 6 does walk right through the trail/ shot window, and the big 8 was 60 yes behind- ...."here we go"- looks to set up perfect with all the does at a perfect 24yd shot. He walks to within 2 steps of my window- starts browsing acorns, and vears off on a big loop, no shot- no clue i aaas there. continues down follow- I'm completely bummed. so close- no go.

day after- damp, fog, silent- the kind of day "ghosts" appear. a nice high wide big bodied 8 shows up at 6:45 cruising, pops into the thick stuff, so i play with the grunt to see if he has any interest. - Come comes right back out after 2 hits on the grunt. they've been on does all week and no response- so looks like with does being bred- he was out cruising looking for some trouble- this was the first response we've had to grunt all season.

hour goes by- silent-nothing. i decide to text my buddy to discuss plans for later on in the am to help him butcher up his 8 pt from the day before. we settle plans, and talk a bit about heading up to VT- 30seconds- tops! i put phone in pocket, look over my shoulder to the 24 yd window from day before- AND THE BIG 8 I'VE BEEN ON IS STANDING RIGHT IN IT!!- i'm not set, bow still hanging up, and he's walking away!!! ARE YOU KIDDING ME!?!? - by time i get turned, bow in hand, and goPro on- he's ass to mer 35yds down the trail and leaving. Last chance- grab the grunt and blast it twice and he stops dead- ...lookin...not sure. Two more soft grunts and he turns and wants action. Now he's off trail and trying to get some wind in his favor, loops around and comes back through but on different course- can't bleat stop him, and he's walking so i quickly figure he's at 30yds- let it fly and we give him a buzz across his back- high (later ranged and he was at 25 yds). he ran and stopped 15 yes away. i knock another arrow- have to do a full 360 spin in the stand to get to the other side of the tree. He see my movement and is on me so as i spin i come to full draw- just to see i have no window- he's in thick. I drop as low as i can go and get a tiny hole opportunity, as he's deciding to boogie- let it fly- made the connection- and he went crashing. it all happened so fast, so i waited then backed out for 5 hours to give him plenty of time, but we had really good blood at impact area so was feeling as good as you can- considering i went all morning and early day without knowing or having him in the back of my truck!! (i'm sure you've all been there) - moral of this story- THESE BIG DUDES ARE GHOSTs...and the second you let your guard down is the second they will appear then vaporize. over 20 hours on this stand and toting for 20 seconds just about blew a slam dunk opportunity on this hog. Got get them...they're off the main rush right now and cruising looking for hot doe leftovers a few better photos to come later on today

28-Nov-15
cool story and nice buck..congrats!!!

28-Nov-15
That's a beast. Where did you hit him with all that blood on his back end and what kind of broadheads were you using? Congrats.

28-Nov-15
Congrats all that hard work paid off.

28-Nov-15
Congrats dude great story

28-Nov-15
congrats nice buck!!! hard work pays off!!

28-Nov-15
Way to go , thanks for the story

28-Nov-15
Congrats on a brute!

28-Nov-15
Beautiful 8 point,nice and heavy. Good shooting and being able to get it done.Congrats! What town are you hunting in?

28-Nov-15
Congratulations on nice deer .

28-Nov-15
Geno

nice deer, congrats.

What part of the state, private or state?

28-Nov-15
Nice deer.

28-Nov-15
Big boy there, way to go! I like how you took your time to figure things out before getting too far ahead of yourself. Really good job, congrats!!

28-Nov-15
Very Nice !!! Congrats

28-Nov-15
Congrats

28-Nov-15

geno's embedded Photo
geno's embedded Photo
thanks all- old lyme. few more pics

28-Nov-15

geno's embedded Photo
geno's embedded Photo

29-Nov-15
Great hunt, story and kill. Were you able to get it on your GoPro?

29-Nov-15
Nice and congrats!!

29-Nov-15
gopro footage didn't come out- too much going on and too much fog- can't see anything. too bad- would have been great to see the cluster f___k unfold!!

29-Nov-15
Congratulations, very nice buck. Great story and photos.

"it all happened so fast"

Experience, confidence, practice and determination coming together in success. What comes to my mind is the Yoda quote, "Do or do not, there is no try." You're in the moment and doing what you instinctively know needs to be done. Finding the hole to shoot through and, form be damned, taking the shot. Did you notice your pulse racing after the shot?

29-Nov-15
Real nice. Congrats on a great buck.

29-Nov-15
Very Nice!Congrats

30-Nov-15
Great buck, congrats.

30-Nov-15
Great story and nice buck !You'll remember this one forever.

• Sitka Gear