Nocturnal8 30-Nov-15
Jeff in MN 30-Nov-15
Nocturnal8 30-Nov-15
RUGER1022 30-Nov-15
Grunter 30-Nov-15
retro 01-Dec-15
Nocturnal8 01-Dec-15
28-Nov-15
Wondering if you guys could share some tips on killing yotes. I have a few open fields along woods edge, so thought about sitting in the open field with a auto caller? Please share your thoughts

29-Nov-15

JD's Link
Everything you want to know is at the link.

29-Nov-15
Auto caller ? Geez

#1 don't use a rabbit call. An older Yote giggles when it hears one. # 2 a known Yote killer uses various Turkey sounds very well.

# 3 my favorite, the Howler call. Get in a hi point next to a swamp and call hard & heavy. Your call is telling the pack that your there to kick their butts and have their women. I use a 12 ga w/ 00 buck in a thick woods. Had them slide into and jump over me. # 4 open fields & woods, Fawn & Turkey calls. 2 man team sitting back to back .

About 6 pm on a snow covered & moonlit nite is best. My record for 1 year is 26 yotes & 6 Bobcats.

30-Nov-15
Run them with dogs or trap them. Calling them in WI can be very difficult...it's exciting and fun, but prepare yourself for a LOT of empty sets before you see yotes. Ruger is correct...forget the e-calls and rabbit calls....get good with hand calls and howls. Don't expect the action to be anything like the TV shows...they don't come running across the open field looking at your spinning decoy that is sitting in broad daylight in the open field so you can pop them with your long range .233 or 22.250...gotta use the scattergun in WI. In my opinion getting a good setup on a 'yote is harder than taking a mature buck...they some of the smartest, wily-est animals in the woods...

30-Nov-15
I've been trapping for 5 years. And this year will be my 15th season coyote hunting. I've learned a lot about them over the years. And I can agree with gusto to an extent. Killing coyotes can be difficult. And some are harder to kill compared to a mature whitetail. I have killed soo many coyotes off a rabbit in distress. I would never put that away just because someone said it can't kill a old coyote. One thing I have learned is. Using a lone coyote howl. With low frequency and a long high pitch. And always starting out with this. Following up 10 minutes later with a distress call. Mixing it up is definitely a must. coyotes are not like wolves. They prefer to stay away from fights. So a challenge howl hasn't been a killer for me. The icing on the cake is scent. If you don't use this along with a decoy than your chances of getting the yote to come out drops considerably. Don't get discouraged if nothing happens for a half hour. Sometimes they take awhile. And even if you kill a coyote right off the bat. Let him lay and keep calling. I've killed 5 coyotes on one sit. And they were at all different times. Last to add. My favorite distress call is a fawn. Don't be afraid to use crow calls in the mix. That has made a huge difference in my killing also..

30-Nov-15
I think it was Ruger that suggested crow hunting with 4 crow decoys, an owl decoy, and a hawk decoy in a tree. If it works and attracts a bunch of crows I bet that chatter would be a sure ticket to bring yote in to see what the heck the crows are so interested in. A legal way of using what is essentially live callers.

30-Nov-15
Crows are a good way to convince them. Ruger I sure would love to pick your brain. I have a couple buddies that coyote hunt. But their just starting out..

30-Nov-15
I was lucky to hookup with a pro when I lived out west. The year I shot 26 yotes & 6 cats prices were high. If you tubed them & sewed the bullet holes Pacific buyers would pay $125 per yote & $350 per kitty.

Sold enough to pay for my BC Grizz hunt ( 1981 ) .

Best tip, when blowing hand calls there must be fright and urgency in every blow. If your not out of wind in 1 minute your not selling the critter.

WARNING, BIG CATS will come in. Its damn scary to call for 10 minutes, get up to leave & see in the snow where a cat came in, checked you out & left.

30-Nov-15
Thanks for the help guys. Have to do some more research, I'm at war with the yotes. Really would like to get a few this winter

01-Dec-15
Find a good trapper. Calling will never produce even close to what a good trapper will.

01-Dec-15
Retro.. 100% correct! Grunter, if you want to really want some fur.

• Sitka Gear