Mike in CT 22-Dec-15
airrow 23-Dec-15
notme 23-Dec-15
01-Dec-15
You the man smoothie

01-Dec-15

SmoothieJonez's Link
Connecticut Fish and Wildlife

Deer hunters have been asking, so a tally of deer harvest reports for the archery and shotgun/rifle seasons has been added to our website. It will be updated weekly:(supporting link) http://go.usa.gov/cZm8z

01-Dec-15

Fletch's Link
Wow! The 3 year average harvest (2011-2013) was 12,956. I don't think Connecticut hunters have another 6,204 in the next 30 days to keep up that average. Our herd is fine though...

01-Dec-15
That's great news Fletch. Maybe our herd will rebound with the low kill numbers reported.

01-Dec-15
This happens every big Acorn crop Year. Look at pages 12 and 13 on Fletch's attachment.

01-Dec-15
BT the optimist in me agrees with you and that hunters are not seeing a lot of deer this year because of weather and the abundance of acorns, so the harvest numbers are low. The pessimist tells me that with predation and a few harsh winters recently, we're not seeing the same numbers because the herd is in decline.

01-Dec-15
I second that motion, Smoothie you are the man.... The optimist in you is correct Fletch, the abundance of acorns have hurt our chances. If they had to forage more, we'd be seeing more activity. I remember during the month of October, acorns were dropping all over the damn place.

01-Dec-15
This should be good news to anyone who thinks the herd is in decline and wants changes in bag limits to compensate.

If your desire is hunters killing less deer, then this is a favorable outcome (and we didn't even have to lower bag limits to get it.).

01-Dec-15
A poll:

Who here knows someone that shot a deer and didn't tag it????

I know someone...

Lots of people are not reporting. I bet at least 1/4 of them.

01-Dec-15
Why is there 3 deer taking in off limits Westport ???

01-Dec-15
The numbers reported could be skewed either way...one is that the herd is so small now that this was bound to happen...less deer to start with = less killed.

Or, there are less deer killed because of acorn crop and less movement.

I'm leaning towards less deer to start with and we are finally starting to see the effects of it. Toonces, if this is true, we really need the DEEP to adjust tag allotments to effectively manage our resource.

And yes, Buckiller, I know of people who don't report.

01-Dec-15
Bloodtrail,

Why?

If the end game we want is less deer killed, and we are getting that now, why do we need less tags? You are creating a solution for a problem that doesn't exist.

It would make sense to have less tags if harvest rates were increasing. Then you have a problem (too many deer being killed) and the solution (less tags).

If the harvest rates are already decreasing, what good is tag reduction going to do?

01-Dec-15
Toonces

because some people kill more than what they're allowed or at the very least they kill all they're allowed, which I believe can be as many as 14 deer if you were to hunt all seasons in CT.

Again - I don't think you can say all of CT should have the same bag limits! Some area can take more while others take less.

01-Dec-15
BBB,some guys couldn't figure out the slot limit they put on stripers .it only lasted 1 year..lol

01-Dec-15
Im wondering the reason why hunters wouldn't report a kill. Is it because they are hunting without license/permit? Or because they have exceeded the limit? Or because they are just too lazy or dimwitted to report the kill? Buckiller and Bloodtrail, care to chime in why you think the people you know don't report kills?

01-Dec-15
If you don't report a kill then you still have your original tags , hence more deer for the freezer.just incase you get pinched you still have your original tags to fall on..doesn't matter state or private land..i know guys with the old punch out tags would barely lift an edge incase they got checked and push it back if they didnt

01-Dec-15
The people I knew that didn't report just didn't report it. They just don't care. Some guys also would hunt with a gun and kill their buck and keep hunting with no intention to kill a doe....so if another buck came by they could kill it. Same with the bow...they'd kill two bucks and keep hunting for another buck.

I also have heard of people hunting with no license....so of course they can't report anything if they killed any.

I'll go out on a limb here and say that most of the people on this site know of or have heard of guys that don't tag or even buy a license to hunt. Thus....all those deer go unreported.

So even if the tags got reduced it wouldn't matter to any of these guys. But to Toonces point, if there are less deer to go around we could reduce the tags so the herd can rebound. Your example holds no merit. It's like saying all the fishermen are catching all these fish so let's let them keep catching all the fish....as a matter of fact, we should give them higher creels so they can catch even more! Mmmm, no, we should monitor their catch more closely and scale back so they can continue to have this very valuable resource for years to come.

I appreciate your thought process in your post, but you are not taking into consideration that if you have less to start, and you keep taking a certain amount, you will ultimately have less. Now if you curtail the amount taken, you will have a stable or growing number from which to reproduce. We have become too efficient as killers and it's far easier to kill a deer because of it through technology.

01-Dec-15
Like with everything regulated by government it creates an opportunity / excuse to "stick it" to the MAN by not registering killed deer thus encouraging opportunistic greed under that excuse. Some hunters take pride in doing it this way.

I fished once next to a guy who filed his bucket to the brim with cat fish because he could and was telling stories about hunting deer with .22 on state land. Modus Operandi was: drop off at forest edge, hunt with subsonic ammo, then call driver for pickup once deer was down, night or day. I said few words and never saw him again at that fishing spot. He was a clear case of greedy opportunist.

01-Dec-15
The logic on this just escapes me. End of the day some of you are going to find a way for the numbers to justify your desire for less tags no matter what.

Decrease in deer being killed means too many deer are being killed.

Increase in deer in deer being killed also means too many deer are being killed.

Is the deer harvest ever going to decrease enough for any of you not to think we need a tag reduction to further decrease the harvest?

I have to think you have a number in your head for annual harvest that is acceptable. The fact that some of you are offended by the idea of someone legally killing 10 plus deer is not material. The total harvest is decreasing. That is what you want to happen. I just don't understand.

If your going to disregard the official number because people cheat the system, then ignore the harvest numbers all together as completely meaningless and neither supporting nor repudiating your position that less tags are needed.

01-Dec-15
Toonces, it does not take a rocket scientist to figure it out. If people are supplied with less tags they cannot kill as many deer. If say I had 6 tags and every year I went out and filled all 6 tags, that would mean six less deer each year from me just one hunter. Now lets say I only get 2 tags a year. I go out and fill my two tags. I am done, now only 2 deer got removed from the herd, leaving more deer to breed and more left for the following year. Now multiply that by lets just say 100. That is either 600 deer killed or 200 deer killed, which will help deer numbers increase the following year? Sorry but yes people want the harvest number to go down, so that the deer have a chance to rebound. Your logic is what really escapes me. Shawn

01-Dec-15
deerman406,

The deer harvest numbers are going down now. That is my point. Even with all these tags available, the deer harvest numbers are going down.

So why the need to reduce tags when the harvest numbers are already trending the way you want them to trend without a tag reduction?

01-Dec-15
You want the harvest to go up. That means their are a lot of deer out there. When the harvest goes down that's when you have to worry. I doubt less harvest means that people are finally deciding not to fill all their tags. In my zone in MA years ago we had over 800 deer taken a year and I saw a good amount of deer. The past ten years we have averaged 600 plus deer every year and I notice a big drop in deer numbers.

02-Dec-15
The past 2 winters, we had deep snow well into March. The 2 winters before, there were few acorns. That is the past 4 years, the deer have had their food source taken away.

I have seen multiple deer nearly every time out this year, because of the abundance of acorns where I hunt.

Factor in bears, bobcats, coyotes, and vehicle collisions, there is a chunk of deer right there. These are things that some guys don't consider.

Last years deer report had 56 percent of hunters reporting that the deer numbers where they hunt are stable or increasing.

Not everyone agrees with the arm chair biologists that are on this site that the numbers are down.

As I said earlier, if you are so concerned with the numbers where you hunt, shut down your season and 2016 and 2017. Come back in 2018, and limit yourself to one deer.

Guys need to stop worrying about what others kill, as long as its legal, and worry about yourself.

02-Dec-15
More acorns means less deer, it's all there in the report. Warm weather, less foraging for food. Less movement equals less deer taken. Especially on public land where the pressure is greater at some locations.

02-Dec-15
I'd be interested to see if the down turn in permits issued continued into this season. If another 5000 hunters left the woods @ a 35%ish success ratio that accounts for a minimum of another 1750 deer not harvested.

02-Dec-15
I harvested a large Doe on 12/1 and she had more fat on her than I have ever seen so I know in my area there eating good and with warm weather and acorns everwhere they don't have to move far and as much . All my bucks on camera where at "0" dark thirty and the couple I got with the bow where near a bedding area and in the am hrs. The one all day sit I saw nothing except a lone doe feeding in the rain at noon .

02-Dec-15
Last Year I figured after the relentless snow and bitter cold, we would lose a lot of Deer. Then came Turkey season and there were deer in every field where I hunted and I didn't find one dead one in the woods.

I know that those same deer are hiding somewhere in all those Oaks and will be very healthy this winter.

02-Dec-15
I looked at the numbers...as I have said all year the acorns will reduce the harvest due to the minimal movement deer will need to make. I am also predicting a decent muzzleloader kill.

HOWEVER....

Acorns will not result in the massive decline of deer. I have heard some people found massive winter deer kills.

Taking a look at 2014 numbers and comparing 2015 numbers it would be safe to say 9200 kills would be a realistic if not high estimate. (I took 2014 numbers of last years BSeason, Muzzleloader and january seasons...added it to the total harvested so far in 2015...then added 1000 deer additional for rifle/shotgun on private land/public land still left to hunt).

The last time the harvest was 9200 wasn't in 2002-03 , 07-08 or 10-11 when acron production was higher. It was 1998-99!!!!!

03-Dec-15
Hoping for muzzleloader myself. It'll probably be my last crack at getting one in the freezer. If I don't see much. I'm not going to waste time for the late bow season.

17-Dec-15
Is there a link that is updated for the deer harvest numbers?

17-Dec-15
Looking like another year of more archery deer taken than firearms.

17-Dec-15
Hard to believe you guys may have under 10,000 kills this year. Your getting to MA numbers now, that's scary.

18-Dec-15
I'd ditto Spike - we hunt some of the same zones up here in MA - and I've seen the same thing.

What's interesting, is that as their have been fewer deer here, I'd argue that we are willing to shoot more.

If you see deer often, you may be willing to pass one (assuming you are hunting for fun and to provide healthy food for your family) or two - there will be another tomorrow. But when numbers are low, and the deer in front of you may be the ONLY deer you have a crack at all year... It's taking a ride in the bed of your pickup.

There have always been group drives here done among families and friends. It's tradition for many and has a lot of importance to those that enjoy it. But when numbers are down, you absolutely have more massive gang drives that develop beyond those group drives. No one is seeing anything, so big gang's push areas and share the deer.

Point being, fewer deer seems to increase the odds that we take the first one we see (Ill admit, that's become my mantra - take the first 1 you have a good crack at then go from there pending meat supply)..

18-Dec-15
I agree Will and the only deer I have seen since early season have been the few that I've jumped while walking thru the woods. They simply aren't moving, warm weather and a bumper acorn crop have reduced our chances tremendously.

You also have to figure they have their winter coats on right now, which I would guess it means more layers of fat, which I would think would also contribute to the deer not moving much with the warm weather and the extra fat they've put on for the "winter". Be interesting to see what Dr.Williams thinks if he reads this thread.

18-Dec-15

notme's embedded Photo
notme's embedded Photo
3rd one I found this month ,all in different parts of the swamp ..probably why I haven't seen anything before work in 3weeks.

18-Dec-15
Was it shot v?

18-Dec-15
Nah dude,I couldn't find any sign of being shot...i think this one might've got hit by a car..maybe 400yrds from a main rd..i followed the trail back,could see where she bedded a couple of times before they found her..

18-Dec-15
I can see something familiar in that decomposing deer. The present is the future of the past and the past of the future, all this in one fleeting moment.

19-Dec-15
we had over 30 inches of snow on the ground for a couple months, but people still dont believe the numbers were crushed by something like that. cant fix stupid I guess. Obviously bumper crops and warm weather make it even tougher, but discounting last winter in any way is crazy....

19-Dec-15
Take a 4-legged stool; remove just 1 leg and the stool may wobble slightly but you could probably sit on it in relative safety. Remove a second leg and it's a bit tougher but can be managed.

Once you knock out a 3rd leg it's pretty much done as a working stool and all 4 legs, well, that's pretty obvious.

Regarding the deer herd it's got a lot in common with the stool; you've got weather, food, natural predation and hunting predation. You don't discount any; all can factor in but not necessarily in equal amounts based on a number of factors. One shouldn't be in a rush however to ascribe an overly high impact, with a few exceptions.

A bumper crop of food will, in my opinion, quickly separate those who have a firm handle on their craft versus those who are overly reliant on hunting travel corridors or have come to rely too heavily on bait. Witness the reports from some this year in spite of a bumper crop of acorns.

Weather can play a major role but moreso in years where you have both deep snow and a hard crust on top as that leaves deer struggling to move while lighter predators, such as coyotes and bobcats can run without breaking through. For the bulk of last year this wasn't the case. As deer tend to migrate towards woody browse less emphasis should be given to depth of snowpack from a foraging standpoint.

Natural predation is definitely having a more pronounced impact, nowhere more apparent than in the NW corner of CT. As we are limited to coyotes we need to push the state to allow hunting of other predators lest their impact not only continue, but grow.

Lastly, human predation has an impact; some have called for a reduction in tags; while not necessarily a bad idea in my opinion what should take precedence is the elimination of unlimited replacement tags for antlerless deer in Zones 11 & 12 given all the aforementioned factors.

If we were talking about the standard 10-15% drop-off in harvest numbers I'd be much less concerned; we're not; we're talking about somewhere in the neighborhood of 30-35% and that should be a wake-up call.

It's one we ignore at our peril.

20-Dec-15
Anyone have any roadkill numbers ? Acorns or not the bucks would still be chasing the does . I live in a pretty good area and have seen only a fraction of what I've seen in past years. Truth is the herd is way down , we contributed to it and Mother Nature has surely taken its toll .

22-Dec-15
Mike is right in his synopsis here. It's not just one mortality source, it's multiple sources acting in concert. Roadkill reporting is notoriously poor. Look in Redding. When people realized roadkill numbers were being used to justify management actions, the cops just stop recording them. Problem solved.

22-Dec-15
Did you know you can take 3 antlerless deer and 1 antlered in zones 11 and 12 on 1 permit without getting replacement tag with a muzzleloader?

22-Dec-15
Swk it probably didn't update because nobody got any.lol

22-Dec-15
This thread made me register for this site. Thank you....

I hunt the central part of the state a lot during bow season and the northwest corner during the gun and muzzleloader seasons. I think the deer numbers are way down and I think the only table you need to look at is Appendix 4 in the 2014 Deer Report (Non Hunting Mortality) on the DEEP website. If you pull the 2005 Report and look at Appendix 8 it takes the data all the way back to 1998.

From 1998 to 2005 roadkills fluctuated around 2700 with a range of 2300 to 3100.

In 2006 there was an unexplained drop in the average to 2000 and it hovered there until 2010. In 2010 there was a drop in the average to 1500 for two years and then the last 3 years have been dismal, around 1100 road kills.

To me you would have to have the entire western portion of the state stop reporting road kills to see this drop. So even if the drop of 60% is not purely based on the population it has to be a significant contributor.

I gladly leave just about all of my tags unpunched every year. My daughter is 16 months and my son is 6 years old. I hope they have the opportunity to experience hunting in this state the way it was in 2000-2003.

22-Dec-15
CTFlatlander welcome aboard. What we all have to realize is that the 90's to 2000 was the hay day in every state not just CT. States all over the east including my home state MA, PA, nJ, SC, even Maine all had very high populations now they seem to have leveled off. Maybe then that was abnormal and this is the normal level? It does seem strange that everywhere is the same in that it wasn't what it used to be. Their must be some reason? Maybe habit loss, maturing forests, increasing predators, who knows? Here in MA we now lack thick vegetation making it harder for fawns to hide. We have oaks, fields, and farms being torn down and built on. Back in the day I remember seeing rabbits everywhere and now they are mostly found around houses as the woods have matured too much for undergrowth. Low deer pops go far beyond hunter harvest. My deer lease in VA had everything deer needed for habitat and you could kill half of them but they rebound so well in prime habitat. A lot of variables to factor in.

22-Dec-15
Tim,

Welcome aboard! I would imagine with a 16 month old at home you're being kept pretty busy! If your 6 year old son is anything like mine was he's probably chomping at the bit to fish and hunt and get into all your tools to boot-great fun to be sure!

Kudos on your personal decision to hold onto tags if you decide that is the proper course. I think it speaks to a person who knows exactly why they hunt and does not feel a need to measure himself by anyone else's yardstick.

I am optimistic that there can be a reversal of current trends and your kids will grow up with the same opportunities you had. In the areas you hunt, especially the NW corner we've got to address natural predation, and the sooner the better. I would highly recommend when you fill out your survey report comment in great detail about what your seeing for predators; coyotes, bobcat and bear.

With the pushback that's a given from anti-hunters we'll need a mountain of evidence to add seasons for bobcat and bear.

Best to you and yours-have a great Christmas!

23-Dec-15
"Look in Redding. When people realized roadkill numbers were being used to justify management actions, the cops just stop recording them. Problem solved."

Now you are blaming the police for your failed wildlife management skills......do you have proof of this? You should really give some thought to a career change; possibly a teaching type position.

23-Dec-15
I think for 2013-14 in Shelton there were 114 deer/car called in..thats just on town owned roads..no way of knowing how many aren't called in or how many deer died/survived..I don't see why cops wouldn't record them

• Sitka Gear