glacier 08-Dec-15
phutch30 09-Dec-15
Sage of the Sage2 13-Dec-15
406elkchasr 16-Dec-15
Harleywriter 09-Jan-16
Harleywriter 09-Jan-16
deerslayer 11-Jan-16
05-Dec-15
I've heard that it's very good in rifle season if you're one of the lucky few to draw a tag and are willing to walk, but you don't need a special permit in bow season. Anybody given it a try?

05-Dec-15
LOTS of people giving it a try

07-Dec-15
Its general archery for whitetail only.

08-Dec-15
It's also either sex elk with a general license during the bow season. I've never hunted it during the archery season, but we used to rifle hunt it when I was a kid. That has been 25 years ago, though. We found new areas after the fire took our camp out in 1990... We used to camp on the Cottonwood side, and there were always elk around. I haven't been in there at all since the fire, though.

09-Dec-15
Sorry i had deer hunting in my head. elk makes more sense.

13-Dec-15
Unless something changes next year, the Elk A tag is good for either sex in that disctrict during bow season. A friend and I are considering packing in for a 4 or 5 day hunt sometime next September. Just looking for anybody w/ some specific knowlege of the place they might share. I'll probably back pack in during the summer for a night 2 to scout. Any thoughts?

I've heard of Pollock Meadows and also that most of the elk tend to be NW of Cottonwood Cr. But I know painfully little about any of it.

16-Dec-15
If you are talking about the Beartooth, it is a wildlife refuge and they only allow camping at designated campgrounds so packing in wouldn't be an option. I know guys do well during rifle season but havent heard of a lot of elk coming out of there during archery season.

09-Jan-16
In my limited experience there, it can be real open but there have been some great elk come out of there. There also are some black bears and deer.

09-Jan-16
In my limited experience there, it can be real open but there have been some great elk come out of there. There also are some black bears and deer.

11-Jan-16
A TON of people, and pretty tough on foot without horses.

• Sitka Gear