Jeff Durnell 13-Dec-15
BOWJO 13-Dec-15
horsethief51 13-Dec-15
Lone wolf 13-Dec-15
HerdManager 14-Dec-15
Lone wolf 14-Dec-15
13-Dec-15
Hi Guys,

I'm looking for some advice on how to hunt the late season. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!

13-Dec-15
Find standing grain and hunt mid to late afternoon.

13-Dec-15
Food sources, food sources, food sources. Acorn groves, apple orchards, and crab apple orchards. Plus Standing and non standing grain fields.

Also: Winter Deer Food Preferred or Best Liked Cedar, white or arborvitae Yew Apple Sassafras Mountain maple Maples* Wintergreen Witch hobble Flowering dogwood Alternate leaved dogwood Basswood Staghorn sumac

Second Choice Elderberry Red berried elder Mountain ash Highbush cranberry Highbush blueberry Willow* Silky dogwood Red osier dogwood Honeysuckle Nannyberry Cucumber tree Hemlock Wild raisin Arbutus

Readily Eaten White ash Sugar maple Oaks* Black birch Yellow birch Hickory American chestnut Black cherry Witch hazel Spicebush Choke cherry Elm Black walnut Shadbush, Winterberry Lowbush blueberry Butternut Black ash Hazelnut Wild grape Bush honeysuckle Leatherwood

Starvation or Poor Food Scotch pine** Pitch pine** White pine** Red pine** Beech Aspen or poplar Mountain laurel** Rhododendron** Gray birch Paper birch Musclewood (Blue beech) Ironwood (Hop hornbeam) Spruces Alder Black locust Grey-stemmed dogwood Red cedar Balsam** Raspberry and blackberry Sweet fern Pin cherry Sheep laurel Tamarack Gooseberry Buckthorn Hawthorn

Best to pay attention in your hunting area and you'll see sign where deer have been feeding and take notice of where the tracks are going to and from the bedding areas. Closer inspection will show what their feeding on. If there is snow on the ground so much the better to read the deer sign. And you can follow the tracks to find feeding areas to hunt.

13-Dec-15
Feels more like late September, but with short days. We need cold or snow to get them up and moving midday.

13-Dec-15
Don't sit and wait for them to come to you. Take the hunt to them. During the late season there's two weeks left and absolutely nothing to lose. I'll be on the ground stillhunting into known bedding areas without reservation.

I hope it snows and gets cold simply because I have some new wool I'd like to try out.

13-Dec-15
I typically do a lot of scouting between now and Christmas. After 3+ months of pressure the deer have moved to areas of minimal human scent. Hopefully this break, brings them back out.

As others have stated, food sources are key, however, the mild temps make it less urgent, and if they are still stressed from the pressure of hunting season, they will be less likely to be feeding during daylight hours.

I like to set up as close to bedding areas as possible. Here in the East, in areas that I hunt, I have seen deer just rising out of their beds with fifteen minutes of daylight left.

One last thing; any bowhunter that can consistently take mature does in the late season, certainly has my respect!

13-Dec-15
Have you checked out the Bradys Bend sgl yet Jeff? We could go for a walk soon.

13-Dec-15
Thanks for the info guys!

14-Dec-15
Hunt the middle of the day. I've killed lots of deer late season, and they are almost never first light or last light.

14-Dec-15
From a tree stand or on the ground HM?

• Sitka Gear