Treerat 24-Dec-15
HerdManager 24-Dec-15
pa10point 09-Jan-16
Brad Gehman 10-Jan-16
hawkeye in PA 10-Jan-16
hawkeye in PA 19-Jan-16
HerdManager 19-Jan-16
13-Dec-15
who has taken late season Pennsylvania bucks, And do your standards for size of buck change. I have never taken a late buck, couple ohio does late.

13-Dec-15
Jan 2011 shot a PA 10 point that was chasing a hot young doe.

14-Dec-15
I've taken 2 in the last 5 or 6 years. One was a half-rack 8 that was dogging a doe fawn. The other was a nice 8 point chasing a big mature doe. Both were right after Christmas.

Yes, standards lesson somewhat since most years it is rare to even see a legal buck late season.

The past 5 years or so I've been slamming the does late season. Heater Body Suit with white/tree pattern and they look right through you. Late season you need to be out middle of the day.

14-Dec-15
Almost had a big Ohio 10 point late last January. All the deer I was seeing were coming to a food source the last hour of light. I did have some mid day photos over that food source of deer.

Herd what hours do you think are the best to be on stand if you could only pick two hours. 11-1 12-2 1-3 2-4 3 till dark? When are you shooting most of your late season deer? I'll defiantly be at it this year in Ohio & PA

15-Dec-15
I like 1-3. When it's that cold they have to get up early and move even before they head to feed. The two bucks I shot were both around 1:00.

I'm planning to sit all day on the 26th.

15-Dec-15
Shot my buck on January 14th last year. I did lessen my standards a bit but the last Saturday had 6 different buck, all legal (2 nicer than I shot), hanging around my stand all afternoon with a bunch of doe. Of course the doe gave no shots but the bucks pranced in front of me at 15 yards. I gauge my entry time by how cold it is and my known endurance. I spend over 200 hours a year in a treestand so I know my limits with Time vs Temp. Best luck for me late season has been the last hour of daylight but to me, that is site specific and depends on where in their patterns your stands sit. If its above 20 degrees I get in as early as possible.

17-Dec-15
First Archery buck was taken the Saturday after Christmas about ten years ago. Last season I saw more deer second season than first. Many were yarded together.

21-Dec-15

Treerat's embedded Photo
Treerat's embedded Photo
No late season buck yet but this is a late season doe I shot Sunday in Ohio

Mike

21-Dec-15
Still have a Missouri tag left, heading out day after Christmas. It will be tough hunting the Matures with the warm temps they will probably be bedded all day.If so switch over to coyotes and bobcats.

21-Dec-15
I seen the largest buck last night spotting than I've seen all season. Still got my tag, so I'll be out there. Extended forcast calling for a lot rain, but warm.

Pat

23-Dec-15
Treerat I might be blind but is that a BB or drop? Short snout and looks like pedicles or buttons but like I said my sight isn't what it used to be lol.

23-Dec-15
Nope that's a big mature doe, dressed 115 pounds it's just the angle of the picture, not really a short snout deer, her head was huge. Towered over the BB fawn she came in with there was another mature doe in the group that had two fawns she towered over her also. I'm guessing she was the mother of the other mature doe.

Mike

23-Dec-15
Whatever it is, it's a dink:)

23-Dec-15

Treerat's embedded Photo
Treerat's embedded Photo
Hanging in my messy garage dink mister

Tree rat

23-Dec-15
Mother of a mature doe makes her a grandmother

Grandma dink??

Congrats Mike, she'll eat well!

24-Dec-15
115 pound doe is huge! Congrats.

24-Dec-15
sweet, nice job, wasn't doubting ya just a bit blind these days!

24-Dec-15
I agree Herd a 115 pound doe is pretty big especially in Crawford Co PA where I live but not in Ohio. I know you won't believe me but I have shot a 135 and a 155 field dressed doe in Ohio. Flat land all beans, corn, alfalfa clover and acorn fed deer. I usually shoot a couple doe a year in Ohio and most average 95-110 but the older ones can get pretty big. Ive shot lots of deer I don't have to make up stories about deer to impress anyone just telling you the facts.

Mike

24-Dec-15
Thread says late season bucks. Not some old doe that's on her last leg, shot with a high tech sissy pants pink camo compound.

24-Dec-15

Treerat's embedded Photo
Treerat's embedded Photo
My compound is not pink!

Here is a picture of the 155 pound doe I shot innohio in 2012

24-Dec-15

Treerat's embedded Photo
Treerat's embedded Photo
after dragging the 155 pound doe a half a mile and hoisting it in my truck I knew it was the biggest doe I had ever shot that was why I took a picture of the scale that day, sorry the picture didn't turn out very good but you can see its 155.

The 135 pound doe I shot in Ohio about 20 years ago was with a gun on the first day of buck. My brother and a couple friends were hunting at my place in PA and when I got back they had a 2 1/2 year old 11 point and a 1 1/2 year old 7 point in my garage on the floor. That doe was bigger than both bucks.

Mike

24-Dec-15
Those are huge! Most does around Pittsburgh, even mature does, dress 80-90 pounds.

Lots of guys will tell you they've killed 150 pound does and 200 pound bucks, but it's funny how they don't weigh them.....

09-Jan-16
No late season buck for me,had two does come in to ten yards last 15 minutes. cool way to end the season,deer in bow range watching the sun set on another year.

10-Jan-16
Scales are a funny thing.

Last deer I shot, the butcher's scale said 200 lbs, dressed. I then hung the deer from mine, 165. They were BOTH the same brand scale.

I like to hang 2 bags of solar salt from a scale to determine accuracy.

10-Jan-16
Seen a really big 6 and huge 3 point on Saturday coming back from a birthday party at3 pm. They have ran together all fall. The 6 pt I'm including brow tines.

19-Jan-16
Well the above 6pt is a road kill. Did see 3 more bucks today crossing the road. One smallish 5 point, one half rack 3 point with a bad limp, and the other buck had already shed.

19-Jan-16
I sat all day last Saturday. Saw 9 bucks and 8 does, none of the does close enough to shoot. 2 of the bucks were decent, rest were dinks.

• Sitka Gear