Kevin Dill 14-Dec-15
Wolverine 14-Dec-15
Kevin Dill 14-Dec-15
Wolverine 19-Dec-15
BUCKSNORT 25-Jun-17
BUCKSNORT 30-Jun-17
13-Dec-15
Hello,

I am from Michigan and I am looking to extend my season this year and do some late season hunting down in Ohio. I am willing to pay a reasonable fee per day of hunting. I know this is a bow hunting site, but I am interested in the late muzzleloader hunt as well. Does anyone possess or know of some land I could hunt?

Thank You

14-Dec-15
Are you thinking exclusively private land, or perhaps public as well?

Distance: you're looking at a 2-6 hour drive depending on what areas of Ohio you hunt. Farther south and east = fewer people, more hills and generally lower human population.

Access to good private land will be a challenge. Without knowing someone or having some sort of a connection, you can only take the time to knock on doors and ask. I have several Michigan friends who hunt or have archery hunted here and all killed (or passed) bucks.

At this late date, your best bet might be a more remote piece of public land...state or national forest. Sometimes you've just got to go do it and learn your way in.

14-Dec-15
Kevin,

I am open to hunting public ground and that is what I figured would be my best option at this point, but I figured I would post this anyway. I have briefly looked online and It looks like there are some good opportunities in Ohio on public ground. Do you have any suggestions on where to start down there on public? It looks like Coshocton County has a lot of good whitetail grounds. Thanks for your reply

Dave

14-Dec-15
Coshocton County typically is one of the top 5 counties for deer kill, along with some others in that general region. I think the truth is that it doesn't matter what county at all in terms of deer quality, but hunter pressure is another thing. Part of a high deer kill is r/t high hunter numbers. Any county which ranks in the top 60% would be worth hunting. Some of the lighter populated counties have good amounts of public land. In my (southeast) area I could recommend Pike, Adams, Jackson, Meigs, Washington, Vinton, Hocking, Ross, Muskingum and Lawrence.

I know most guys seeking help eventually want someone to NAME a location, property, state forest or some destination. I usually don't do that. I figure if a guy wants to hunt badly he'll grab the reins and get going. Pick a destination from the above counties if you select the southeast. Narrow it down and then get on the property asap. If you want it and will work for it, I think success is more likely.

Many years ago I killed a buck in Ohio the first week of archery. I wanted to keep hunting, so I drove down to WV and started knocking on doors. I found...get this...1,400 acres of prime hills and bottom land that nobody was bowhunting. I drove away with a written permission slip and went scouting. In the rut I killed a superb buck after seeing maybe 5 of them. I never saw another guy. I had 3 stands up for a month. I was 3/4 mile from the nearest road (important clue) when I killed. I spent the rest of that day dragging out the buck, plus pulling and bringing out 3 stands and all steps. I went back the next year and killed 2 bucks before the rut was finished. The craziest thing about all this was that this farm would have allowed almost anyone to hunt. Nobody ever stopped and asked, probably because they thought it was impossible.

19-Dec-15
Thanks for the input Kevin. It sounds like you found what every bowhunter is looking for down in WV.

25-Jun-17
I HAVE A LEASE IN MUSKINGUM COUNTY OHIO LOOKING FOR HUNTERS [email protected]

30-Jun-17
I can help lease Muskingum county oh

• Sitka Gear