T ZEKE 27-Dec-15
Buckstopshere 31-Dec-15
vmang 31-Dec-15
bas4109 31-Dec-15
arrowknocker82 01-Jan-16
Wapiti Chaser 03-Jan-16
jw 12-Jan-16
22-Dec-15
Well....it's that time again to grade the DMU that you hunted in and give it a letter grade based on deer sightings. Also, please feel free to comment. I'll go first......

DMU....9X

Grade...C

I hunted more this year than I think I have ever hunted in one season ( all in 9X). The deer population IMO is still way, way down. The DEC has cut back on DMP's and I really hope they continue to do so next year.

22-Dec-15
DMU: 7J and DMU: 7H

Grade: F and F

Hunted less than normal, perhaps 30 sits. Saw 3 in first week of bow (killed 2 of them), nothing during gun (actually 1, I killed that one too), and 5 doe the last day of the late season.

Ouch.

22-Dec-15
Retired and hunted a lot. 7J = F

22-Dec-15
DMU 4L- D

DMU 3N- C

While I did tag a nice 8 pointer with the bow in early November. In over 30 years of hunting, this year I saw the least amount of deer. During the gun season the woods were dead. Hardly any shots heard.

22-Dec-15
4H B- Warm weather and acorns all over sure hurt daytime movement. Saw the usual amount, 16 for all of bow and gun. My cameras showed that some nice bucks did exist, but no one saw them during the day.

23-Dec-15
7J D

Based on trail camera there was 1/2 the deer of normal. Hunting season confirmed this. I think the last two winters hammered the deer numbers. Have hunted 7J since about 2007, by far my worst season.

23-Dec-15
7J D

Based on trail camera there was 1/2 the deer of normal. Hunting season confirmed this. I think the last two winters hammered the deer numbers. Have hunted 7J since about 2007, by far my worst season.

23-Dec-15
7M-D Cameras were only getting pics of good bucks at night. Warm, rainy for the most part. Saw only 2 deer while hunting 5stands on 300acres of property.

23-Dec-15
6C, G and H. F-minus.. I hunted a lot this year. I only saw 4 deer all season, a spike and 3 does.

Too many bears and no Spring season to kill them before they wipe out the fawns. Too long of a regular season, too many crop damage permits. Too many people who are killers and not hunters.... Too little enforcement of game law violations and negligible fines once someone is caught. This has led to the sad state of hunting in the North. The hard Winters didn't help any either, so it isn't all on the DEC,,,,,, just the majority IMO.

I hope you all have a fantastic Christmas. Peace, Jay

23-Dec-15
8H..... A+.... even though I did not harvest a buck.

I started off this season with extremely high hopes. I had some great bucks on trail cams and all my stands were in great locations to take advantage of every wind direction. I never hunted stand unless I had the wind direction in my favor.

Then the DEC announced it our area was in a Doe only area for the first 15 days and the late bow and muzzleloader season. I did not hunt the early doe season or the late season.

I did post a diary of my hunting season once again and I had many opportunities to bring home venison. In fact I passed on the biggest buck I've ever let walk because of knowing of three other bucks bigger than him on the farm.

My best day on stand came on Monday, November 9th. It was on this day that I saw four different shooter bucks and six smaller ones in the oaks. But still no arrows shot.

I've already begun to work on next season with two new ladder stands in position. My trail cameras will be in place this weekend after Christmas and will remain until spring time taking inventory of the deer left on the farm. To my knowledge, no big bucks were killed within five miles of the farm.

23-Dec-15
Sadly I agree with ya JayG, was the same for me in 7H, 7J.

But Merry Christmas anyway!

'Watching Band of Brothers over the next few days… kinda puts things in perspective.

23-Dec-15
pogo, lol!! mee too, working on stands this week. The one good thing about getting laid off!!!!

23-Dec-15
4O = D

The worst I seen in years, a few shooters were spotted in the summer, but none seen during the season.

Doe sightings were down compared to previous years but they were around. With a 3 point restriction in place that means 6 guys and over 200 acres and only one coyote to show for our efforts this season.

Merry Christmas to all.

23-Dec-15
3 S. Westchester. Public land only. D...9- 8-10 Hour days in the stand at 3 different spots. Saw two deer..not close enough for a shot...too warm. Too many acorns AND a rough winter were to blame. Mad Dog

23-Dec-15
4J-A- Saw a lot of deer this year and killed a very nice 10pt. I did not hunt a day where I did not see at least a few deer

4B-B+ Saw quite a few deer early and I missed most of the rut but still overall on the properties I hunt the hunting was pretty good. Shawn

23-Dec-15
4p and 4g Horrendous f .Lowest deer numbers ive ever seen.

24-Dec-15
3 F and 3 G....does anyone here hunt those areas? If so, curious on reports. Mad Dog

25-Dec-15

archer756's embedded Photo
archer756's embedded Photo
Mad Dog, hunted for 60 years and never saw a yr like this. Talked to a butcher that we have here in are area that you should know of and also noted a low take year. I deal with DEC every day and they also noted form them it was a mix year. Our club had on opening day 25 hunters,but only three deer taken. Not great!

25-Dec-15
Wow..what area? Merry Christmas by the way. M.D.

25-Dec-15
3f and 3g

25-Dec-15

25-Dec-15

25-Dec-15
3n during bow season was a C- . 3n and 3G during Shotgun was an F . 3N and 3G during muzzleloader was D+.

Toughest year I've seen in this area.

25-Dec-15
Wow..I've hunted Stissing Mtn a few times around Thanksgiving. ..just one day hunts..saw sign but no deer. Tons of deer on route 9 by golf course! Mad dog

26-Dec-15
Just did not see many on Parkway or any other roads, Just a down year. Also our club has food plots photos are all at night with some bucks and does. All at night

26-Dec-15
Frustrating! M.D.

26-Dec-15
3A , F+ low numbers, no more or less mature bucks since AR's been in place. This unit is typically bad anyway.

4J, B-, season was on par with the last few years except for the lack of the regular season influx on one property. Bow only area and isn't indicative as general rule.

4 B, D+ second hand info, the same 4 guys hunted two properties, typically they kill about 6-10 deer a year between them. This year they killed 2. All said it was the worst year they can remember. I hunted 4b twice with sighting each time for what's it worth.

4S C - , hunted this unit the most this year and it was slightly down then in past years, AR 's are making a slight difference so far. Still way to many guys taking small bucks an slipping neighboring non AR DUM numbers on their tags. Also way to many DMU's being used from areas with with more liberal antlerless tag allocations.

On the whole it the season maybe gets a D .....I have never in my lift heard so many complaints about a poor season, seemed like no matter where in the state ..the general consensus has been its been the worst guys have seen.

27-Dec-15
7P was B-... took a doe for meat and to keep my streak going in the last week of bow season , passed on small bucks all season. I don't gun hunt, but my pals who did complained about lack of shooting and action. Tom

31-Dec-15
9Y - B Of three properties I hunt the early bow was slow until the first rut spike happened between Halloween and Election Day. Eight Trail cams there showed lots of good bucks and a good doe population, but the big boys zigged when I zagged. ;0) Then it tailed off to gun season which was the slowest I can remember, until the second rut spike at the end and beginning of bow/muzzleloader when I took a doe for venison. 9X - B I hunt two properties on the east side of of the unit. Great doe population, and best young buck population I have seen in years. Uncountable number of junkyard bucks on my trailcams in each but is skewed because of the incredibly thick cover in one and food plots surrounded by hundreds of acres of forest on the other. Here in Southern Allegany County we had no winter kill last year and a decent fawn drop, but it was late, mostly in June this year because of the late rut last year. Tagged a young doe and a young buck for venison.

31-Dec-15
HUNTED 3S and 3G saw plenty of does but only small bucks took two does 1 in each dmu

31-Dec-15
6K - B-

Saw plenty of does and several young bucks. Saw less deer than last year but more than what I consider average.

4F - B-

Hunted very little in this area but saw a good number of deer and several bucks. Less deer than last year but our group did better than our average.

01-Jan-16
7P,7M and 4F all about the same a C+. Spent a lot of time in the woods. pre ,current and post season scouting. I didn't see the bucks usually do. But on a better note I did see a considerable amount of yearlings. The turkey took a big hit though.. Hoping for a mild winter. Best Regards Arrwknker82

03-Jan-16
8w D which is hard to understand because we took two 3.5 and one 4.5 year old buck all aged by the DEC . Our cameras went 1 - 2 weeks with zero deer pictures even when set on apple trees and travel routes. Sightings were way down and from September until thanksgiving when we pulled the cameras we only have pictures of three 1.5 year old bucks when in the past we would have dozens of 1.5 year olds. We haven't shot any does in five years other than the one somebody blew the hind leg off last year and my daughter mercy killed. Strange thing but even the coyotes seem to have moved on as we never heard any and didn't see any tracks this fall .

12-Jan-16
8w A Lots of deer, lots of food, too warm. Lots of deer on cameras after dark, warm weather no one moves around to move deer, no snow to track, lots of food did not have to move much. Oh did I mention too warm deer did not move except at dark. do not see any all day but lots on cameras at night! Overall I do think there is less deer than several years ago but not a good year to judge. But when as in some posts above someone see four deer a year and shoots three what do we expect?

• Sitka Gear