Babysaph 29-Dec-15
UCMDEER 29-Dec-15
WBowhunt 30-Dec-15
Big-Otis-Jeff 30-Dec-15
sundaynwv 31-Dec-15
WV Mountaineer 01-Jan-16
gobbler 01-Jan-16
26-Dec-15
I read an article in our local paper this morning where the DNR said our buck kill is up but the doe kill is down to this point last year. Seems they are afraid that there won't be enough does killed during the doe seasons.,

26-Dec-15
Blah blah

26-Dec-15

27-Dec-15
I completely understand shooting a spike if you hunt for meat and will shoot the first deer that presents a shot. Ultimately I feel to each their own, if it is legal and makes you happy, then good for you. Personally I think the trend in judging the success of a hunt by just saying "I got a buck" or the size of the antlers is ruining hunting for many as they forget that regardless of what you get or even if you get something, taking time to just enjoy the time afield with friends and family is really the key to success.

27-Dec-15
I Iagree with WVbowhunt. I hunt for fun. Here in WV I shoot the first thing that comes along. I like the meat and use WV to fill my freezer. If I hunted where some of you guys hunt in the bow only areas it would be different.i also agree with gobbler. Most hunters just want to kill a buck. Until the buck kill limit is reduced it will not change. Most hunters just want a buck. The DNR can't keep complaining about it if they won't do anything about it.,

27-Dec-15
I also hunt for meat , but i am not going to shoot a 70 or 80lb spike, when i can shoot 140 lb or bigger doe. I have never killed a buck over 125 but i truly believe there are big bucks in all counties in WV.

27-Dec-15
It's each person's right to harvest what they want within the legal limits of the law. Right now, I'd shoot the first deer I could because I haven't even gotten a deer this year. Work, weather, lack of time off and the loss of a lease I'd been hunting the last 8 years all contributed to my lack of success.

27-Dec-15
I will agree every hunter has the right to shoot what ever he or she wants,but i am not going to shoot a spike but that is just me.. I just dont understand hunters shooting spikes a then complaining about size of deer they see. I am not try to make anyone mad or shame anyone for shooting spikes. just voicing my opinion.

27-Dec-15
Hoppies - you are right there are big deer in all counties of WV. I tend to agree more with WVmountaineer then I do with some of the other naysayers on here. You just have to work hard for it and put your time in and not settle. And you can harvest a nice buck and still kill a few does. And thankfully for the time being go back out and have the chance to buck hunt instead of going to another state.

27-Dec-15
1950 deer management is to reduce doe kill when the harvest dips.

27-Dec-15
I agree but I have ever ever seen a 140 pound doe and fortunately where I hunt the spike are just a lil bigger than the does save for a 4-5 year old doe.

27-Dec-15
I will also bet there will not be more than 10 125 inch deer killed in the county I hunt in. I agree there are some big ones in all counties but they don't grow on trees . 2 of the biggest deer killed were killed in August and neithe of them went 125. . When everyone quits killing the spikes with their rifle I'll quit shooting them with my recurve. Fortunantly I like the challenge of the hunt with my recurve and getting close so it doesn't bother me to shoot a spike. And I don't rifle hunt so it's a challenge for me.

27-Dec-15
Babysaph,Everyone does not shoot spikes, to me not much of a challenge to kill a year half old spike. Bow or not. If you want a challenge try shooting adult doe. Just dont understand your logic. I guess kill all spikes you want but please dont complain about size of bucks you see.

27-Dec-15

27-Dec-15
Most of the doe i kill may not be 140lb,but sure are bigger than year half old spike. I think some people kill spikes because they dont know how to kill mature deer. Unless they pay big money to have a guide set stands for them and put them on mature bucks

27-Dec-15
you da man hoppie.,

27-Dec-15
I do ok. No one sets my stands for me buddy.

27-Dec-15
i agree though immature 140 pound does are tough where I hunt. In fact, as said earlier I can kill a 125 inch deer before I will kill one weighing that much . Your Fea is probably different.,

27-Dec-15
The more I think about it I don't think I've killed too many bucks that weighed 140 pounds here in WV

28-Dec-15

28-Dec-15
yea I am sure they are. Our deer in the mountains of Pendleton county are small. Most guys say "man I just killed a nice buck and he had a big body and must have weighed 200 lbs". I just laugh. Most of those big bucks don't weigh 150 pounds here. Not I am sure they would get a lil bigger if they were allowed to grow to be 5 and 6 years old. The deer where I live in Jefferson county are bigger but still not 200 lbs. It take a big buck to weigh 200 lbs. I think they call if ground shrinkage. I have found that the 1 1/2 year bucks usually weight as much as the does do however. unless maybe a big ole 5-6 year old farm buck from here in Jefferson county. But in the mountains I find that to be true. But Hoppie is right. The old mature does are tough. I kill them when I can but most of the time they have lil ones and I don't mess with them with lil ones. I killed one this year and she was by herself and when I gutted her she was still nursing. Not sure where the lil ones were. I felt bad about it.

28-Dec-15

28-Dec-15
Thanks gobbler Makes me feel better.

29-Dec-15
All quiet on the home front of the 2-3 that said it we were jumping to conclusions during buck season....

I guess when numbers speak, they hide..LOL

29-Dec-15
What did the numbers say? I am really not sure what they said except a bunch of small bucks were hammered and most hunters would rather shoot a small buck than take a doe. Thats what I think the numbers say. I would think that the doe harvest should be greater than the buck harvest. In the end it might be.

29-Dec-15
LOL.....that pretty much sums it up.

29-Dec-15
Ur right big O

29-Dec-15
the bucks were so numerous this fall and the late rut rifle hunter had no problem with finding a legal buck to shoot, filled freezers with a legal buck and did not need to shoot a doe. also I feel in more nasty weather a hunter will shoot a doe just to get home and get warmed up of put on dry clothes on, not the case this rifle season

30-Dec-15
I think it is interesting that for me this year we saw fewer deer, no mature bucks and little rut activity. Spent 92 hours bow hunting this year, so it was not for lack of trying. Just think that with the change in baiting law and lower mast, that the deer changed their patterns on the 100 acre farm I hunt and just did not travel through anymore. I still filled the freezer with a 7 point and donated a Doe to FHFH. Had some great times with family and friends. And planning for next year.

30-Dec-15
the only rut activity i saw was in Mingo CO, and that was the last 3-4 days before gun season....

I saw several bucks while bowhunting in CAbell Co, but come gun season, nothing.....But gun shots..

31-Dec-15
Personally, I had a horrible year. However, I know we had an excess of bucks in most parts of the state. Too bad, we couldn't have the better herd every year.

Really too bad I didn't take advantage of it. Lol

01-Jan-16
I wasn't hiding from anybody. I took a break from the ridiculous moaning from deer hunters whining about how pitiful their life is from their tree stand. And, I have started a new job that sees me off at 5:30 in the morning and home by 8 pm. So my time here will continue to get less and less due to simply not having the mental fortitude to continue this in what free time I do have.

You might be right Jeff. Gobbler might be right. Time will tell with better information we will be able to collect now. What is certain is who was right based on the data we did have.

Before I'd claim a self boasting victory, I'd stop long enough to take all variables into account. This state just implemented a new check system that ensures all but die hard poachers have an opportunity to check deer. We just came off a season where we killed half the Bucks we normally do. Anybody with rational thought would assume the first season that followed with Hunter friendly circumstances would see a huge increase in buck kill.

Gentlemen, enjoy your time. Enjoy life. Be smart about everything you do. I'm easy to find and willing to accommodate in any way Nessecary. If you ever get down this way Jeff, look me up. My offer still stands. This place and the endless topic doesn't deserve the time or patience it takes to do it in any schedule. Especially a cramped one. Good luck hunting and God Bless men.

01-Jan-16

• Sitka Gear