bigbuckbob 08-Jan-16
shawn_in_MA 08-Jan-16
Mike in CT 08-Jan-16
shawn_in_MA 08-Jan-16
Mike in CT 08-Jan-16
NEV 27-Jan-16
Dr. Williams 27-Jan-16
29-Dec-15
With the Connecticut deer season nearly finished for 2015, the current harvest numbers for Redding, CT. are down by approximately 33% from 2014. This year Sunday hunting was allowed; if we take Sunday out of the total, Redding is down approximately 42% from last year. The 2015 privately funded FLIR showed a population of approximately 235 deer or 7.35 deer per square mile in town; and with fawn recruitment at approximately 25% would give Redding a population of 294 deer for the fall hunting season. The 2015 harvest now at 102 deer leaves Redding, CT with approximately 192 deer or 6.09 deer per square mile. The towns archery program headed up by Dave Streit and Julia Pemberton has seen very few deer harvested this year; with 37 mostly out of state hunters harvesting less than 10 deer on 700 acres of town owned land. Redding, CT is now seen as the poster child for, Connecticut wildlife mismanagement; and represents little more than trying to exterminate deer from the Redding landscape.

29-Dec-15
Glenn, how did you arrive at your 25% fawn recruitment number?

29-Dec-15
wow....some numbers! I saw deer almost every time out in redding. cams decent too. guess I was just lucky or good ...lol!

29-Dec-15
jr

were you hunting on public or private lands in Redding?

29-Dec-15
I saw deer on state in Redding this year the few times I hunted there. I know numbers are down from years ago, so I'll just say that I'm good :)

29-Dec-15
7 dpsm? I don't ever have to step foot on Redding woods to believe the numbers are that low. My worst spot up here may have almost that few. Are you going by flir results as is with zero deer missed from the plane?

29-Dec-15
We all know from past history that Glen uses the numbers that suit his argument. 2014 DEEP harvest totals use the 2015 January archery take in that summary. So, that would mean that for the 2015 take, that would include January 2016 season as well. Last time I checked, it was still December 2015. Once again, let us compare apples to apples before claiming the sky is falling. Regardless, I am going to wager a guess that harvest was down from last year in nearly every town in CT based on acorn abundance and weather. Amazing the number of deer guys pull out of that town given single digit deer densities. . .

29-Dec-15
Shawn, The number 25% was given to me by DEEP when we discussed it. The fawn recruitment number is a variable and could be approximately 20%-30%. The 25% is approximate and was used as ...middle of the road; the number is probably closer to 22%..

29-Dec-15
I'm dying to know how many deer Glen saw and shot in Redding this year.

29-Dec-15
Thank you Glen. At first I thought the number was on the low side, but then I looked at your math and realized you were counting it as 25% recruitment of the total deer population, not just does.

29-Dec-15
I have to say I hunt in a lot of towns in zone 11 including Redding and young deer sightings are way way down .

29-Dec-15
Spike - We are not currently hunting in Redding; ever since the CAES study, I and another 20 hunters that have hunted Redding for the past 40 years have backed off Redding to give the deer a chance to rebound. With the out of state crowd now pressuring the deer ( mostly does ) it does not look good for the future unless the CT DEEP steps in and ends the unlimited doe and bonus buck tags. I know what 20-30 dpsm looks like in Redding; unfortunately I now know what 7 dpsm looks like as well !

29-Dec-15

SixLomaz's Link
How about a map showing deer concentrations. See the link.

29-Dec-15
Another interesting report at https://www.qdma.com/uploads/pdf/2015_WR.pdf

29-Dec-15
"With the out of state crowd now pressuring the deer ( mostly does ) it does not look good for the future unless the CT DEEP steps in and ends the unlimited doe and bonus buck tags."

Glen why do you always go down the blame the non-residents road here. I saw more vehicles hunting in Redding this year than I have in the past few years and most of them were not out of state plates. Do you have the statistics to back up your claims, please present them if you do. Out of the 102 deer Killed in Redding so far this year how many were by out of state hunters vs CT residents?

29-Dec-15

Spike - We are not currently hunting in Redding; ever since the CAES study, I and another 20 hunters that have hunted Redding for the past 40 years have backed off Redding to give the deer a chance to rebound. sounds good but what towns hold enough deer for the 20 hunters ? Just asking not being a ball buster . I have hunted Redding too for over 40 years ,.STEVE

29-Dec-15
I wish i wasnt two hours away, I would like to compare the tracks in the snow to here. I believe numbers are down I just find 7 dpsm to be highly unlikely. How many did WB kill I forget?

29-Dec-15
I wish i wasnt two hours away, I would like to compare the tracks in the snow to here. I believe numbers are down I just find 7 dpsm to be highly unlikely. How many did WB kill I forget?

29-Dec-15
I think around 100-125 not shure

29-Dec-15
The deer count from the CAES study was - 87

29-Dec-15
So they killed 87 deer on 4 square miles?

29-Dec-15
87 deer on 2 square miles over 3 years.

29-Dec-15
For the record, that averages 29 deer/year. With Redding being 32 square miles, that averages a reduction of less than 1 deer/square mile/year. If you guys are backing off deer harvest as a result of that, that seems a bit ridiculous. Even more ridiculous is the claim that there are single digit deer densities in Redding. If that is the case, how did WB average removing over 14 deer/sm/year on those 2 square miles?

29-Dec-15
Spike - " So they killed 87 deer on 4 square miles? "

They took 87 deer on 3 square miles over a three year period. The test sites were baited on the outside edges which brought deer in from outside of the test sites.

29-Dec-15
So to get this straight, 102 deer were taken in Redding in 2015. And WB took 87 over 3 years. These numbers aren't adding up in my head. . . Why are we backing off harvest? That's good news for the MA guys. . .

29-Dec-15
Spike,

There's an important factor in the WB harvest of the 87 deer over the 3 year period that needs to be addressed.

Year 1 the take was 51 deer

Year 2 the take was 25 deer

Year 3 the take was 11 deer

I think you can tell the slope of that line if you were to plot it on a graph. I think you can also tell if it's going in the favorable or unfavorable direction as well.

29-Dec-15
I'm looking at it like half full.....I saw ok numbers of deer In Redding this year ( 5 differnt properties) . I look at it this way , 1st I belive numbers are gonna be down everywhere because of the abundance of acorns, let's face it if you hunted anywhere in Fairfield co. Then you know it was a bumper crop....the most in a long long time and as hunters we can all agree this spreads the deer way out. 2nd no white buffalo in redding this winter and 3rd so far it's been a mild winter and the deer are going great into it fat! I belive next year will great , not just redding but all over .

29-Dec-15
I'm glad I don't hunt the Reading area. Not as optimistic as junior based upon the harvest numbers for the last 3 years

29-Dec-15
There's an important consideration to note when we're discussing abundance of acorns; we've got historical precedence to look at via the DEEP Harvest Summary reports.

The historical pattern has been (as per hunter reports on acorn abundance) to see between a 10-15% drop-off in year over year harvest numbers.

This year the trend would put that drop-off at 30-35% if present numbers continue for the balance of 2015 and Jan 2016. Those numbers get even worse when you factor in Sunday hunting beginning Oct 1st and providing additional time afield.

When that gets thrown into the mix the drop-off percent (again, if harvest rates hold on par for the season to date through Jan 31st 2016) would be at or near 40%.

That's a bit more than a statistical anomaly.

30-Dec-15
Maybe its just me but why beat the WB dead horse now? If I understand this correctly, WB was hired as part of a tick study where they wanted to eradicate all the deer in that particular area to determine if lower deer densities correlate to less tick borne illnesses. Whether you agreed with the study or not, it is now over and WB is now out. I'm trying to understand some points mentioned here rather than take any sides. If WB was hired by the town or state to reduce deer numbers just to reduce the numbers then I can see the argument of using WB. However, WB had a specific purpose and are now gone. Based on conversations that I am hearing on these threads now, I don't think hunters would have been up to the reduction needed for this study (both in mindset and ability/efficiency over excessive night hunting, baiting etc.). The lowering of deer take in Years 1 through Year 3 by WB indicates nothing more than their reductions for the study was working. Its not hunting or management here is was pure eradication for the study, so why would you expect deer numbers in Years 1 through 3 in that area to do anything but go down. That is all I am saying. I am not advocating using WB, or the tick study, or anything else just trying to understand why WB keeps coming up when they were used for a particular purpose, which was the study. That is all. This study was a case I see all the time in my field of work, “Not In My Back Yard”. We all know that deer numbers are down, the argument is that some think that they are lower than others. That’s fine to disagree and argue the points based on this but to me the WB was for a study and are done. Now if you want to argue about current policies like unlimited replacement tags, or predators, bad winters, etc. then go at it.

30-Dec-15
I'd like to clarify a point that was made in this thread as it paints an incorrect picture of an appropriate action taken.

As has been stated on other threads we as hunters have the ability to self-police; when we feel numbers are down we can take our respective feet off the gas pedal.

If a downward trend were the equivalent of a reduction of <1 deer per year and someone stated this caused them to back off hunting I'd be in the chorus of the "you've got to be kidding me" chanters.

That however isn't the reality; an annual average reduction of 29 deer in a 2 square mile area is just that; a reduction of 14.5 deer per square mile. Redding is 32.1 square miles (less than 0.6 that is water) leaving a land area of 31.5 square miles.

If you want to extrapolate the annual average of 29 deer to represent the entire town of Redding than you would divide that number by 2/31.5 (or multiply it by 31.5/2, whichever is easier) and the extrapolated effect would be an average annual reduction of approximately 228 deer. I don't think you'd find many people arguing that an impact of 228 deer would represent a much larger impact than <1 deer.

I'd call that responsible stewardship personally.

30-Dec-15
tobywon

Block Island was able to reduce their deer herd by 400 deer just by paying "hunters" (not WB) $150 per tail delivered along with the carcass in evidence. WB wanted to be paid $128k to do the same thing with taxpayer's money but the island residents protested and WB was stopped. If you're ok with WB getting paid with your money then I say have at it.

I don't hunt anywhere near Redding, but as a taxpayer it just irks me to spend that kind of money when other studies have shown less deer = less ticks. Even Dr Williams stated the study was a failure but he's blaming hunters in the area for screwing it up, didn't say how though and I really don't care. There's better ways to spend my money.

30-Dec-15
As a hunter I don't care for white buffalo tactics as we as hunters do it for free. But what baffles me is some people talk of hunting like it's catch and release fishing... I honestly belive if hunters keep laying off redding the population will rebound very quickly

30-Dec-15
jr

so it seems to me that the problem in Redding is that some residents want less deer, but according to the Town Hall site they don't want you to kill them, it's blood sport. They want the state to sterilize the 100k+ deer in the state or move them to a refuge.

And yet if they allowed hunters on their property the problem would be reduced as you stated. Paying an outfit like WB big money makes matters worse in my eyes because the deer are still being killed but now the taxpayers are footing the bill. I know that's not why WB was there, just trying to make sense of the 2 options for harvesting the animals.

30-Dec-15
Understood Bob and let me reiterate that I don't condone WB or these tactics. I have no skin in this game, I'm just trying to make a point and understand why WB keeps getting mentioned like they are responsible for decimating the deer herd in Fairfield County. If you offered $150 per deer in Redding, do you think that you would get the same results as WB using their eradication tactics of night hunting? Also, wouldn't there be an uproar that we are heading towards "market hunting" that was stated previously on other threads. I don't think hunters would have reduced the deer herd as efficiently and effectively in this case for the study is all I am saying (again, just talking for the study). Bottom line, is that they are gone, its done and over and move on.

30-Dec-15
WB experience keeps popping into this discussion because other towns and even the state are considering to engage their services.

In Redding the eradication was funded from a federal grant money. Elsewhere the money will come from local and/or state budget (tax money CT residents "donate").

On a different/tangential subject: Looking back at the reason(s) that motivated colonists to engage a well trained British army and considering the level of taxation today I would consider the experiment a failure. It took an explosion of will power marked by personal sacrifice to overturn the status quo only to have it reinstated over time by constant erosion.

30-Dec-15
tobywon

if Block Island was able to do it, why not in Redding?

Dr Williams - exactly how do you count the ticks anyway? I'm sure you're not counting what's on the deer that are killed, you would have count a specific section where deer reduced, right? Do you beat the bushes into nets, like gathering olives in Italy?

30-Dec-15
Bob, actually, it was accomplished in Redding by hunters if you look at the numbers. Compare Block Island of today to Redding back in the late 1990's-2000's. Hunting did work to get numbers low, which is what we are seeing today there and what everyone is complaining about now. The point that you are missing with what I am saying is that hunters would not be able to get numbers to the levels needed for the study area which was almost complete elimination. Just cant happen easily with conventional hunting techniques, especially with deer going nocturnal in the area once the pressure is on.

Just compare apples to apples....So what did they do on Block Island? There was a population estimated of between 800-1,000 deer, which equates to 83-103 dsm. Hunters removed 400 deer so now there is between 41-83 dsm. Successful yes, more work needed, yes.

30-Dec-15
We no beata da bush,we beata da tree..whats a matter you sumana bitch...lol

30-Dec-15
Hey paison, wats a matta? you no understanda my speakin? I beata the bush in Italy, and thena I go out and beata the olive tree:) capish?

30-Dec-15
tobywon

so are you saying that WB killed the number of deer they contracted to kill in Redding? The data says they didn't, so..............?

I agree, you can kill more deer at night with high powered rifles, suppressors, bait, night vision, shooting from elevated positions, etc, but 400 by hunters is still pretty damn good. Do it again next season and now you're there at half the cost.

30-Dec-15
tobywon

oh yeah, one more thing. The "General Public" on BI didn't want WB.

30-Dec-15
No Bob, you don't get what I'm saying, so I'll leave it at that.

30-Dec-15
Tobywon. Yes. You nailed it. They reduced townwide deer density an average of less than 1 deer/square mile a year for three years in Redding. And yet that involvement is being blamed for the collapse of the entire Fairfield County deer herd. Those must have been a crucial 87 deer.

Mike. That is absolutely the reality. And what are you talking about and what kind of math is that? WB was restricted to 2 square mile in Redding. There they removed 87 deer over three years. Yes. That equates to over 14 deer/square mile/year, ON THOSE 2 SQUARE MILES, but extrapolated over Redding’s 32 square miles, that results in total reduction of less than 1 deer/sm. Are you saying if they had reduced density 14 deer/square mile on all of Redding land area that would be cause for concern? I would agree with you, but your math isn’t even correct. If they reduced density by 14 deer/sm on all of Redding’s 32 square miles, that would be a reduction of 448 deer townwide, not 228 as you report. But then again, how could there be a townwide 14 deer/square mile reduction if Redding is already at single digit densities?

Bob. Yes, Block Island hunters took 400 deer, but there are still a boatload remaining. Harvest does not determine remaining density. Increased harvest is usually a pretty good indication of increased density. I’m willing to guess that with a concerted effort with bounty in place in perpetuity on Block, that hunters could get densities to about 30/square mile, or a population of 300 deer. With hunting restrictions lifted, sharpshooting can get them much lower. Block Island had private residents footing the bounty. I have talked about a reimbursement to hunters or something along the lines of financial incentive, but traditionalists are very wary of it because of fears of market hunting. Look for an experimental study within the next few years I would bet. As far as tick sampling, we count the number of ticks feeding on rodents we capture in people’s yards throughout the summer and also have a crew that drags a cloth along a transect of known distance in the yard repeatedly throughout the summer. We have multiple residences in each of the 4 treatment areas one of which of course is a control treatment where no intervention occurred to track natural fluctuation in populations. The “General Public” wanted WB on Block Island, which is why they were contracted to be out there. It was the “Hunting Public” who didn’t want them. Shock.

Tobywon. Yes. WB was used after the hunting season in all 3 years. And you are correct with why we went with a sharpshooting outfit was to attempt to get densities where we needed them for the results of the study. To date, hunters have not been able or willing to achieve those densities in a residential setting. A study I would like to do would be to use hunters and train them to attempt to achieve those densities. We know it can be done, just takes oversight and discipline. It really is not rocket science.

30-Dec-15

Dr. Williams's embedded Photo
Dr. Williams's embedded Photo

30-Dec-15
So what did the study tell us ?

30-Dec-15
Dr. Williams,

What was the end result of the Redding study in terms of the deer tick impact? In all the hoopla about WB I don't recall seeing what the actual data ended up showing.

30-Dec-15
I'll try to clarify the math:

On a 2 square mile area of Redding WB took the equivalent of 14.5 deer per year per square mile.

(87 deer in 3 years, 87/3 = 29/year 29 deer on 2 square miles, 29/2 = 14.5 dpsm per year

Redding is 31.5 square miles (land only)

Study area is 2 square miles so it is 6.3% of the total area 2/31.5 = 6.3492063%

In order to project WB deer removal impact for the entire town you have to make treat the numerator (#deer taken) and denominator (sq mi of test area) equally, otherwise you skew the result in the direction of whichever single factor you use.

14.5 dpsm x 31.5/2 = 228.375 (you could also divide the 14.5 by 2/31.5 if you prefer)

You have to account for the other 29.5 square miles of Redding in some way; either by using a correction factor (ironic, isn't it?) or by including the deer removal on that 29.5 sq mi via hunting.

As Glen was basing his not hunting on town-wide deer harvest numbers that has to be quantified in some way. You can include hunter harvest and add it to the WB take or you can omit that hunter harvest but only if you then correct for the WB total only being 6.3% of the town. You have to do one or the other; you did neither.

30-Dec-15
Bleydon. We needed to get deer densities to 10-12/square mile on the test sites in order to test the hypothesis that reductions of deer to those levels in an inland setting would reduce tick densities and tick-borne disease. Direct hunter interference, harassment, counter-baiting, and ultimately safety concerns prevented us from achieving those densities, our objective remains unanswered, and there are 87 fewer deer in Redding that hunters could have harvested. So basically the deer reduction component was a wash and now we are looking at the impacts of our other treatments, specifically the fungal spray that attacks and kills ticks and the bait boxes that apply Frontline to mice.

Mike, the point is moot because the average townwide impact was less than 1 deer/square mile/year reduction, hardly a cause to abandon all hunting pressure in town. That said, your math is still wrong. There is no skewing, there is no single factor, this is basic math man. If we assume a fictitious 14.5 deer/sm reduction on 31.5 square miles, the result is as simple as:

14.5 deer/square mile x 31.5 square miles = 456.75 deer

Why the heck are you dividing the total land area by half? That makes no sense. My math is grade-school basic and correct and I am helping your fictitious scenario. Why must you dilute it by half? Why? So are you saying that White Buffalo killed 87 deer on 2 square miles over 3 years, but what they really did was kill 228.375 deer on 31.5 square miles in 1 year? Come on man! You can throw numbers around but you are not going to turn guys on this site into believing that! Is this for real?

30-Dec-15
Scott,

Thanks for the correction on the math; the division by 2 was getting to 1 sq mile so the equation should have been 31.5/1 not 2.

The other means to the correct answer would have been to divide 29 by 0.063 (the percent of Redding the test area was) which would yield 460.317 deer harvested.

Another route could have been 29/2 = x/31.5, multiply both sides by 31.5 so 31.5 x 14.5 = x which comes out to 456.75.

Anyhow, while interesting it still leaves unresolved the central point of where you are still wrong.

Glen's position was not that he (and the other 20) stopped hunting because of the <1 dpsm removed by WB; it was due to the decline of the deer herd as demonstrated after the CAES study by the private survey.

To cast the reason as you did is simply false. Why it was done was to trivialize his argument which is not surprising as it seems to be an oft-repeated tactic.

When Glen (or anyone else) looks at a decline by 2/3's in harvest numbers for Redding that's much more of a decline than <1 dpsm and that's the point that I seriously doubt escapes you.

So what remains is you either need to adjust the WB take for a townwide number (456 or 460, pick one) or obtain the take for the remaining 29.5 sq miles of Redding and add that to the 29 deer/year to arrive at the impact to the herd.

I suppose now that we've resolved the math issue it just comes down to understanding basic English for you.

30-Dec-15
Well, I am sure there are people all over this site and state that are super psyched that Glen and his band have left Redding alone due to flawed results from a bad survey. This situation is downright comical as are your lame attempts at insulting me. Is he leaving Newtown alone too because of the results of that survey as well? I am sure there are guys laughing all the way to their stands in both towns this January. Single digit deer densities. . . Jeez man, you cannot even get the math right on a fictitious scenario. Again, to be clear with your (and Glen's) line of thinking, White Buffalo removed 14+ deer/square mile, on 2 square miles of town, and you want to extrapolate that to the remaining 29 square miles of town that was off limits to them why??? Again, White Buffalo removed 87 deer on 2 square miles over 3 years and somehow that equates to 400+ deer over the entire Town of Redding in a year? I guess I must be reading this wrong, but then again, "it comes down to understanding basic English" for me.

Perhaps take is down in Redding this year because there are 21 fewer guys hunting there. . . Man, I couldn't make this stuff up if I tried. This is gold Jerry, Gold!!

30-Dec-15
Don't you ever get tired of making up bogus " quotes " from people ? No one here has ever said what WB did on 3 sq miles in Redding collapsed the deer herd in FF County. Are you incapable of telling the truth anymore ? Is your position so weak you have to resort to ridiculous claims about what people said ? Either put up a real quote that says what you claim or suck up enough integrity to admit you just made it up. What makes you think I left Redding ?......All I said was I backed off Redding to give the deer a chance to rebound.

If you were a 20-year old kid just feeling your oats I might understand this need to impress people with stuff you know nothing about and the chronic lying thing of yours. But you're a grown man with a wife and kids and you act like a horse's backside on a public forum ! You think you look good when you make stuff up and then try and lie your way out? You need some serious help and you need it yesterday!

30-Dec-15
What is entirely lame Glen is you and your buddy Mike's line of thinking. It borders on insanity. Seriously. Now Mike is saying, and I quote, ". . . need to adjust the WB take for a townwide number (456 or 460, pick one) or obtain the take for the remaining 29.5 sq miles of Redding"

What does this even mean???? White Buffalo's take on 2 square miles somehow magically had the same impact on the remaining 29 square miles they had no authority to be on? Remember your "Magic Deer" Patch post from years ago, now those deer that White Buffalo did not kill on the remaining 29 square miles in Redding where they did not have access are "truly magic deer."

30-Dec-15
Scott,

It's funny you have the words "fictitious" and "lame" in your post. What could be more lame than concocting a fictitious quote from me rather than just admitting you couldn't produce the quote as I never made it.

Speaking of works of fiction perhaps you can make up a quote from Glen about leaving Redding because of the 87 deer WB took. I mean we both know he never stated anything like that but since when have you let anything like the truth stop you?

By any chance have you considered getting tested for Attention Deficit Disorder? You seem to have a very difficult time following really simple concepts.

If Glen states he left Redding alone due to sustained hunting pressure and low town-wide deer densities why is it you keep harping on a small percentage of the town as the cause? If I type it really slowly would that help? How about stick figure diagrams in crayon? Of perhaps an Etch-a-Sketch?

Here's the concept Skippy; Glen backed off because of the impact TOWN WIDE. That's TOWN WIDE. As in TOWN WIDE. Meaning TOWN WIDE. Are you catching on yet Skippy? TOWN WIDE...TOWN WIDE....TOWN WIDE....

I could find a seal at Mystic Aquarium that could catch on faster than you......

Maybe you shouldn't drink and blog Scott......

30-Dec-15
Hey Mike. Here are some quotes.

"Glen's position was not that he (and the other 20) stopped hunting because of the <1 dpsm removed by WB; it was due to the decline of the deer herd as demonstrated after the CAES study by the private survey."

The CAES study removed an average of less than 1 deer/square mile TOWNWIDE in Redding each of three years, regardless of what Glen's bogus FLIR survey showed.

"So what remains is you either need to adjust the WB take for a townwide number (456 or 460, pick one) or obtain the take for the remaining 29.5 sq miles of Redding and add that to the 29 deer/year to arrive at the impact to the herd."

I really am not sure what you are saying here, but it seem that you are saying we should extrapolate WB's take on 2 square miles to the other 29 square miles where they had no access. Hell, why stop there. If they averaged 14.5 deer/square mile on each of 2 square miles over three years, let's just extrapolate that equivalent take TOWNWIDE, TOWNWIDE over three years. So really the 87 deer White Buffalo took as part of the study (ON 2 SQUARE MILES SKIPPY) was more like (14.5 deer/square mile x 31.5 square miles x 3 years = 1,370 deer). So according to you, the 87 WB deer actually is more like 1,370. Right? This is where you were going with this right?

Why must you overtly attempt to deceive the readers here with such bogosity? It is so lame and transparent and so easily proven wrong. You are really doing a number on your reputation with this line of insanity and clearly have little respect for the intellect of the guys on this site. I would suggest abandoning it for your own good because it is so over the top and so damaging to your reputation.

If Glen is leaving Redding because of a TOWNWIDE TOWNWIDE reduction by WB of less than 1 deer/square mile, then wow! Just WOW! TOWN WIDE! TOWN WIDE! Less than 1 deer/square mile, TOWN WIDE!

30-Dec-15
Bleydon - " What was the end result of the Redding study in terms of the deer tick impact? In all the hoopla about WB I don't recall seeing what the actual data ended up showing."

Scott Williams - " We needed to get deer densities to 10-12/square mile on the test sites in order to test the hypothesis that reductions of deer to those levels in an inland setting would reduce tick densities and tick-borne disease. Direct hunter interference, harassment, counter-baiting, and ultimately safety concerns prevented us from achieving those densities, our objective remains unanswered "

Scott Williams of the CAES has done exactly what he said he would do; summed up in the ITM test study proposal stating, "……we will incorporate established and novel components that will enhance the outputs and outcomes of the project. " What he really should have said was, “ we will manipulate the facts and the protocols for the CDC ITM study to promote ourselves and the pre-determined outcome of the study ".

The March 2013 Interim Progress Report for the CDC ITM study states, " a target deer density below 10 animals per square mile was achieved ", page 17 part B).

January 9, 2014 (CT DEEP Forum, Putnam Park) Scott Williams states that the deer numbers were 30+ deer per square mile in both test sites.

January 24, 2014 CAES aerial survey data was published and shows that deer numbers had increased to 35+ deer per square mile in both test sites.

February 11, 2014 CAES aerial survey data was published and later stated by Scott Williams that deer numbers had increased to 45 deer per square mile in test site.

Now those are some really magical deer, a 350% population increase in less than a year.

It would seem a mystery or even magic, that deer exponentially increased in numbers in these two areas even though the CAES stated in their original proposal, " we do not necessarily expect immediate ingress of deer into treatment areas as deer typically do not shift established home ranges into areas of lower density (105b, 105c) or even to accommodate temporary bait sites (105d, 105e) ".

Like all magic there’s a trick or a deception. In this case the deception is the manipulation of data to include multipliers and increased survey areas, what Scott Williams calls; loose or elastic test site boundaries were 2, square mile test sites magically become 3 square miles in size; a 50% increase.

31-Dec-15
Ah Glen. The fact is 87 deer were removed over 3 years and we were not able to sustain densities low enough to have any impact to ticks, thanks largely to you. I couldn't have done it without you buddy. But now you and Mike seem to have lost your minds with the TOWNWIDE impact that had. Let me see if my math is correct, again. 87 deer removed over 3 years. That averages 29 deer per year (87/3=29). Now Redding is approximately 32 square miles. So the impact that WB and the CAES study had on overall TOWNWIDE average deer density was a reduction of 0.9 deer/square mile (29 deer/32 square miles=0.9 deer removed/square mile.) and you and Mike are insistent that this warrants resting the Town for a couple years? Seriously? The impact is negligible and harvest numbers were declining long before the ITM study came to town. You may not like that a sharpshooter was brought in over hunters, but let us not overstate the impact that had to the Redding TOWNWIDE deer herd, which was next to nothing.

31-Dec-15
Why must you overtly attempt to deceive the readers here with such bogosity? It is so lame and transparent and so easily proven wrong.

Great quote but not for the reason you thought Scott. Let's look at overt attempts to deceive the readers you've made repeatedly:

1. Despite dozens, if not hundreds of posts between myself, BigBuckBob and Bloodtrail stating we hunt in the NW corner (or North Central) you continually post that we're upset about not having enough deer in FF County. (For the record Scott none of us are upset about the numbers of bighorn sheep in Nevada either. Just in case you're wondering.....)

2. Despite never saying anything whatsoever about 40-50dpsm being "too low" you post this as the Holy Grail we're all upset about. When twice challenged to put up the poster's name and the quote you fail to muster up a whimper of a response. On the third try you fabricate nonsense out of whole cloth, insist you're quoting me and then stand behind the lie. For the record, what I started this response with was what an actual quote looks like Scott; just so you have a knowledge base for the next time.

3. When BBB posts about conditions he's had firsthand knowledge of for over 40 years you infer he doesn't know what he's talking about. Aside from the fact that you've never hunted in the woods he described you weren't even born when he started hunting them. Talk about bogosity-indeed!

4. When Glen refers to deer harvest townwide, never mentioning WB you post he's gone into seclusion over the impact WB had townwide. Townwide harvest impacts refers to ALL hunting as Glen's statement was written Scott; WB is just the most recent strawman you've erected. Somewhere in the dairy farms of CT cows will have to make due with less feed this winter with all the strawmen you've erected.

5. In spite of corrections to your outright lie about Glen's reasoning you still continue to post easily discerned lies as above. For the last time WB is your lame excuse and Glen never brought it up when discussing his reasons for backing off.

Since I'm trying my darndest to educate you on what a real quote looks like here's Glen's:

"Spike - We are not currently hunting in Redding; ever since the CAES study, I and another 20 hunters that have hunted Redding for the past 40 years have backed off Redding to give the deer a chance to rebound. With the out of state crowd now pressuring the deer ( mostly does ) it does not look good for the future unless the CT DEEP steps in and ends the unlimited doe and bonus buck tags. I know what 20-30 dpsm looks like in Redding; unfortunately I now know what 7 dpsm looks like as well !"

Perhaps you can point out where "WB" is mentioned? Oh, and before you rob any more cows of straw "since the CAES study" refers to a period in time, you know like "since yesterday", "since last year" "since the last time Scott Williams told the truth" (oops-strike the last one, it redlines the "bogosity meter")

And lest I underestimate your predisposition to try and lie your way out of your messes, "out of state hunters" refers to that group's hunting practices in the present hunting season. Now toddle over to the Calendar and put your finger on March 2015. That's before the current season so the "out of state hunters" aren't WB; and as you pointed out in a rare moment of truthfulness, WB aren't hunters so the quote wouldn't have referenced them regardless of timeframe.

Yes indeed Scott, the reader can quite clearly see Glen never referred to WB, it's impact or the type of boots they prefer or where they go to get their manicures. Every reader can see that once again Chef Scott is serving up Beef bourgouyne BS.

Speaking of bogus Scott why is everyone associated with FFCMDMA still peddling the lie that reducing deer numbers in a non-insular setting will impact Lyme disease? I mean, as an "esteemed advisor" surely to avoid any "bogosity" you've informed them that that correlation has only been demonstrated in insular settings, right? I mean, any ethical scientist would, wouldn't they?

In a way it's comforting to know you're a serial liar and we're not hogging all your finest work in that field.

All in all Scott you are so "The Attack of the Killer Tomatoes"; one of the all-time worst movies ever. The script was not only painfully lame but so utterly predictable that a theater full of deaf people could have figured out the plot.

That's you Scott; a bad movie where the lines are painfully obvious and boringly predictable. You need to fire your script writer and get some new material. Your lies don't even have any imagination behind them anymore.

Oh, there actually is a movie that might better describe you when the subject is deer and deer hunting after all; "Clueless"

31-Dec-15
Calm down Mike. You're hysterical. Someone untied your bogus take on wildlife management and you throw a fit and get personal? Is that all you've got? Let me know when you are done with your tantrum so we can get back on topic and debate wildlife management again.

31-Dec-15
Glen

I think the quotes that you posted above from Dr Williams are very telling. It's the reason why I sometimes come away from this board with my head spinning due to the every changing information. I get flashbacks to dealing with my teenage daughters years ago when I would try to get to truth of "What happened?"

I'd love to hear Dr Williams explain the numbers posted above.

31-Dec-15
Jan season starts pretty soon. Good luck

31-Dec-15
I love Steve's change of topic!

31-Dec-15
I'll be out as much as I can..

31-Dec-15
I'm all ears about my misquotes. Not sure where that happened because I don't roll like that. And I am glad Glen designated this thread as "DEBATE FREE. All responses must be Constructive and Positive" and that Mike has been adhering to that. Maybe Ace will get on his case about Bowsite etiquette, but I am guessing no. Ah well. Just because I have a take on wildlife management and hunting counter to some, well actually most on this site, that does not make me a “serial liar” (Mike in CT, 12/31/15) or that I am “chronic lying” (airrow, 12/30/15). Additionally, it would take someone with an IQ “south of Gump” (Mike from some past thread) to not to realize that when Glen was referring to the CAES study, he meant the deer take aspect of it. Pretty sure on that one, pretty sure.

Anyway, I will be out for rabbits and ducks tomorrow with a DEEP employee. I hope that is okay with folks here and doesn't seem too scientist of me. . . Happy 2016!

01-Jan-16
I'm all ears about my misquotes. Not sure where that happened because I don't roll like that.

Again, the above is what an actual quote from a person looks like. It is verbatim what that person said-period.

Here's you very much rolling like that (misquoting) from the CT DEEP transects thread:

"Mike, So basically, it is you who is saying that hunter’s view 40-50 deer/sm as low density. Do you dispute that? Oh, that’s right. You dispute DEEP methodology and say that despite raw counts of 26/sm, in reality, it is “one half to one third of that”. So it is you, I am quoting you."

This isn't quoting someone Scott, it's a manufactured lie using glue, scotch tape and a few paper clips.

And to address the attempt to paint 40-50 dpsm as "low density" it becomes all the more absurd when you look at an actual quote I did make (and which you did not bother to quote):

"Thirdly, not a single hunter would dispute even an uncorrected population of 26 dpsm would be cause for alarm let alone an endless chorus of whining. Posting that number is another misrepresentation of the hunters who disagree with the state's numbers position and Scott knows it.

Those hunters are posting concerns because they believe the actual number to be anywhere from 1/3 to 1/2 of the state's uncorrected number. That is an entirely different argument and it wouldn't serve as a means to minimize legitimate concerns."

The concerns have never been about 40-50 dpsm as plainly evidenced by my actual quote. For starters I very clearly stated that even the uncorrected count of 26 dpsm would not be cause for concern. Clearly Scott, 26 is less than 40-50, so you're saying that (40-50) is what I considered low density and you're "quoting" me is laughable on the facts. The actual concerns I voiced in my quote are that the deer numbers are about a range of 8.7 to 13 (1/3 to 1/2) dpsm.

Of course quoting what I actually said wouldn't have fit the argument you were trying to spin, and that is exactly how you roll.

Additionally, it would take someone with an IQ “south of Gump” (Mike from some past thread) to not to realize that when Glen was referring to the CAES study, he meant the deer take aspect of it. Pretty sure on that one, pretty sure.

No, it would take someone with ethics south of "minimal" to try and misrepresent what someone actually said to suit their agenda.

Roll Scott, roll.

And evidently your deliberate attempts at misquoting don't go unnoticed:

"As you try to twist that quote above shown in your favor one can feel your desperation."

Roll Scott, roll......lmao

01-Jan-16
Mike, I am glad that you have calmed down. But this is truly another lame attempt. The only quote I see there from me is “one half to one third of that” referring of course to the DEEP raw 26 deer/sm. And what you actually said is “1/3 to 1/2 of the state's uncorrected number.” Are you upset because I wrote out the fractions or that I put the half before the third? Is it the same meaning, yes Mike, yes it is. 1000 pardons for not combing through drivel to obtain verbatim quote from you. I didn't realize this was an English lesson, but I am sure that I will fair just fine. If this is what you and Glen (and Bob) are all nutted up about, then wow. Just wow. Terribly sorry for that “misquote.”

I can only infer what you mean by what you write here. I am not a mind reader. Perhaps you should take a breath and use your words to better explain what you mean. For instance, and I quote you:

"So what remains is you either need to adjust the WB take for a townwide number (456 or 460, pick one) or obtain the take for the remaining 29.5 sq miles of Redding and add that to the 29 deer/year to arrive at the impact to the herd."

What does this mean? Why are you adding “456 or 460, pick one” to anything? This is nonsensical. So when you post stuff like this that makes no logical sense, I can only infer that you are suggesting that we have to take what WB took on 2 square miles and pretend that they took the same on the remaining 29 square miles of town where they were not permitted to be. Is that what you mean? My inference and attempts to decipher some of the endless drivel you post here does not mean I am quoting you, merely trying to understand what you post. Be more succinct and less verbose. Everyone here knows you have a pretty substantial vocabulary, now let’s work on your math and communication skills, and histrionics.

01-Jan-16
Scott,

What's lame is you are insisting that when I say that I am not concerned about 26 dpsm being low you'll insist that I am concerned about 40-50 dpsm being low; that is simply absurd by any stretch.

What's even lamer though is you stating the only quote from you is the one half to one third; did you miss the full quote I posted from you above? Let me post it again: ""Mike, So basically, it is you who is saying that hunter’s view 40-50 deer/sm as low density. Do you dispute that? Oh, that’s right. You dispute DEEP methodology and say that despite raw counts of 26/sm, in reality, it is “one half to one third of that”. So it is you, I am quoting you."

That is the full quote from you on the DEEP transects survey Scott. So since I never, ever said anything about 40-50 dpsm as low density it is a blatant falsehood-period.

As to what I said let's give it one more go and I'll break it down as simply and concisely as I can:

Part 1: ""Thirdly, not a single hunter would dispute even an uncorrected population of 26 dpsm would be cause for alarm let alone an endless chorus of whining."

I don't see how that meaning can be any clearer; not a single hunter means exactly that; not a single hunter and the number is the uncorrected 26 dpsm. So not a single hunter sees that number as a cause for alarm (or an endless chorus of whining).

Are you with me on that?

Part 2: "Those hunters are posting concerns because they believe the actual number to be anywhere from 1/3 to 1/2 of the state's uncorrected number."

Again, very clearly where the line for concern is drawn is where hunters believe the actual number to be 1/3 to 1/2 the raw (26 dpsm) number, which comes out to the 8.7 to 13 dpsm.

Now would you admit that if 26 is less than 40-50 it must be true that 8.7-13 is also less than 40-50 dpsm?

Are we still in agreement here?

Now as this is again written exactly as I originally posted please tell me or anyone here how your statement about quoting me on being concerned about 40-50 dpsm being low numbers is anything other than a complete fabrication on your part.

I won't speak for Glen or for Bob and for the record I'm not "nutted up"; I am however annoyed that a doctorate degreed person cannot see that what I wrote doesn't bear the slightest resemblance to your "quote" from me. To continue to attempt to do anything other than admit you misrepresented what I said isn't merely lame, it's patently dishonest and you, I and anyone else reading this knows it.

We'll get to the other item when you can at least acknowledge the above as fact.

And I mean an unqualified, not grudging admission so we're clear.

01-Jan-16

Dr. Williams's Link
Sigh. Deep breath. OK. Mike, seeing as we must beat this dead horse some more. . . My point is/was that last year and multiple years before that, you guys were crazed about the DEEP correction factor of 2. Right? “Are we still in agreement here?” So DEEP in their flights over FF County last year responded and reported raw numbers, that is the average number of deer they saw with their own two eyes, on the 24 flights they did over the 6 square miles. My point is if DEEP counted 26 deer/sm raw, the actual density is probably around 40 on those transects. But now, you guys (I guess just you, speaking too for Glen perhaps) are now not only saying that the correction factor was bogus, but you are saying that the actual number of deer they saw and counted was bogus, and that the actual density is, let me get this correct now, “1/3 to 1/2 of the state's uncorrected number.” So the DEEP should now not double their raw counts, but halve them??

Your synopsis is based on the results from a cheap FLIR survey from a notoriously poor-performing company that surveys a square mile on the average of 4 minutes at the town-wide scale, while zooming in to take pretty pictures of deer as well, while it takes staff at DEEP, CAES, and Davis Aviation 45 to 60 minutes to survey a single square mile. I don’t think it takes a “doctorate degreed person” to figure out who is going to have better detection and who is going to catch maybe 25% of the animals standing out in the open.

How did I do with my quotes? Acceptable? I think someone with their master’s degree would understand what a quote is by now. . . The fact that you must broadcast this nonsense and stand by the FLIR survey results is comical and degrades your reputation considerably. It is you and Glen only who believe this. The rest of the “boots on the ground” guys here have already voiced their opinions and know that that is not the case. Just like the low densities in NW CT you reamed me out about not being able to voice my opinion on because I am 40 years old. Look at Grizz’s data he posted. He saw deer every other time out up there, actually more than every other time. I think it really comes down to “boots on the ground” hunting know how. I get that guys are busy with work and family and soccer and basketball like me and have limited time to get out and want a ton of deer around so they can squeeze in a hunt and sit 50 minutes and whack one before their coffee gets cold, but that is not reality anymore. But to broadcast such lame and obviously erroneous claims of DEEP incompetence and wrong-doing is just stupid and shooting yourself, all of us, in the foot. DEEP is the only advocate hunters have. Name me another one.

Additionally, what makes you such an expert on deer censusing? Let me guess, you bought a hunting license and have “been in the woods a long time.” The only guy on this forum aside from me qualified to speak from experience about censusing deer is Bill Embacher who posts here occasionally (I think) and Chris Siburn aka: Rooster, because he complained so much Jacobson took him up for a couple hours. And where the heck has that guy been? Again, he and Rick as first time observers counted 45 deer/sm in and around Huntington State Park where Siburn hunts and was complaining that density was “dangerously low.” Oh, and I should also point out that that very morning, Rooster and some guys flew over 10.5 square miles of Redding in a Cessna at over 100 MPH which resulted in an average count of 2 deer/square mile. He would not share the results of what he saw with Rick that day because he knew how bad it was. You can see Glen’s report in the attached link claiming 2 deer/square mile densities in Redding, seriously.

If you look for deer from the air, you are going to find them. If you blow over the top of them too fast, you won’t. Pretty sure I know who I want on my side when it comes to aerial recon on the battlefield, certainly not VisionAir or Rooster and crew in a Cessna. . .

02-Jan-16
Sigh. Deep breath. OK. Mike, seeing as we must beat this dead horse some more. . .

Actually Scott, if you would simply admit you misspoke about where the point of concern on deer numbers actually was (based on my actual quote) this horse would not only still be living but happily galloping out in the fields.

While I applaud your improvement in deflection you never did address your error. Given that this now represents about the half-dozenth time you have performed the equivalent of denying water is wet I'll ascribe the lack of admission to the inability to perform such an act. Sigh indeed.

but you are saying that the actual number of deer they saw and counted was bogus, and that the actual density is, let me get this correct now, “1/3 to 1/2 of the state's uncorrected number.”

You know what's amazing about that last statement by you Scott? What's amazing is that's actually what I said, that's what I stated you misrepresented by claiming my point of concern on deer numbers was 40-50 dpsm and it's more than ironic that you can't admit the 40-50 dpsm "quote" was something you made up.

You do realize Scott that when you, Scott C. Williams, PhD. state that I, Michael D. Lamagdeleine MS, MT(ASCP) said "1/3 to 1/2 of the state's uncorrected number" you've put in print an admission that you've been lying and haven't had the character to just admit the mistake and move on. The best part is now I'm not making the accusation, you are. Not only are your deflections getting better but you're creeping dangerously close to improving on your ethics.

Muchas gracias, amigo.

The fact that you must broadcast this nonsense and stand by the FLIR survey results is comical and degrades your reputation considerably. It is you and Glen only who believe this.

Actually what's comical is anyone automatically ascribing infallability to an imperfect methodology. Now if you can post literature stating that the aerial transect survey method is 100% accurate I will happily admit my statement is incorrect and post a full apology.

With regard to my reputation I can only offer that one should first be cognizant of that which is their own prior to worrying about that which is their neighbor's. The implications of that statement will become clearer with the passage of time.

I get that guys are busy with work and family and soccer and basketball like me and have limited time to get out and want a ton of deer around so they can squeeze in a hunt and sit 50 minutes and whack one before their coffee gets cold, but that is not reality anymore.

Scott, you really need to reign in both your penchant for hyperbole and for making assumptions absent a base of knowledge. Would you care for an illustration of your lack of a knowledge base Scott? You know what, seeing as you've improved in the aforementioned areas, lets see if you can do the same for your divination skills!

In your next reply Scott here's what I expect to see from you:

1. Type of treestand and equipment related to this Mike uses.

2. Type of trees Mike regularly hunts from.

3. Height of Mike's treestands.

4. Conditions Mike hunts in (weather, time of day, wind direction/speed).

5. Number of hours Mike spends on average per sit with a breakdown of early season, pre-rut, rut, post-rut and late season.

If you want to post assumptions about how I hunt Scott you must have the answers to all of the above. It should be a snap to post them for all the visitors here to see. Knock yourself out.

Additionally, what makes you such an expert on deer censusing? Let me guess, you bought a hunting license and have “been in the woods a long time.”

Well Scott, you've just added to your "homework"; I'll also expect a post from me (you can paraphrase given your struggles with quote mastery) where I've claimed to be an expert in census methods.

It's called literature Scott; you know, books, journals, etc. and I'm sure even you will concede that I can at least read at a middle-school level. You're not stating that I wasted my time by chance are you Scott? I'd hate to think that you've devoted countless hours to publications that have no value to anyone after all.

DEEP is the only advocate hunters have. Name me another one.

Gosh Scott, I hope Bob Crook's feelings aren't too bruised; personally I've always considered the Coalition of CT Sportsmen to be the strongest voice for all sportsmen in CT. Here's the link as you seem to be unaware of their existence. http://ctsportsmen.com/

Pretty sure I know who I want on my side when it comes to aerial recon on the battlefield, certainly not VisionAir or Rooster and crew in a Cessna. . .

Funny you should mention recon....did I ever tell you is served in the USMC? That I flew in helicopters in the jungles of the Philippines, certainly a much denser canopy than that found anywhere in CT. Funny, I don't recall seeing you; not in the chopper, not rappelling down to the forest floor. Maybe I missed you in all the excitement.....

Well, I will eagerly await your next literary masterpiece....

02-Jan-16
SURVEY SAYS " 310 " DEER IN REDDING, CT.

Wow, this is interesting stuff ! So we will have to look at one thing at a time. " Cessna at over 100 MPH ", actually the plane flew approximately 60 knots for the survey. I actually worked on both the SR71 and F4E Phantoms during the Vietnam conflict and our planes did film at over 100 MPH with good results.

So lets look at the results, the survey estimated there were "310" deer in Redding, CT. on February 16, 2014. If we take that number 310 deer and add 25% fawn recruitment for the fall season we now have 388 deer in Redding. The 2014 total take for Redding 2014 was 167 deer which leaves 221 deer in Redding.

On January 10, 2015 a privately funded FLIR was done for the entire town of Redding, CT. and the results of the survey were 234 deer or 7.43 dpsm; we also have to subtract the January archery for Redding which was 15 deer for a new total of 219 and we have the films to prove it.

So lets see what we have, the Cessna and hunters came up with 310 deer in February 2014 which equals approximately 221 deer for the end of the 2014 season. Nearly a year later when the entire town of Redding was surveyed the FLIR came up with 219 deer ( with January Archery ). In comparison they look pretty close to me, 221 deer for the Cessna Survey to the 219 deer with the FLIR. The difference between 221 and 219 is a 0.904% difference.

And what did the, CT DEEP, Davis Aviation FLIR and the CAES surveys state for 2014? 30-45 dpsm or 945-1,418 deer in Redding, CT..........Now thats Magic !

02-Jan-16
Thanks for the correction Glen. So at 60 knots from a Cessna, you guys counted 21 deer on 10.5 square miles. That is why one doesn’t use a fixed wing for aerial deer surveys. That’s why one uses a helicopter that can fly 23 knots without falling out of the sky to search the entire ground below. And I will leave your “magic” math to you.

Mike. Holy crow. What mistake? If DEEP counted 26 deer/sm raw density, actual density is at least 40 deer/sm. You are saying that densities are actually “1/3 to 1/2 of the state's uncorrected number.” So my point is/was that when true densities are around 40-50 deer/sm, and you are saying that that is incorrect and densities are more like “1/3 to 1/2 of the state's uncorrected number," then you are saying that 40-50 deer/sm is low density. You are saying that DEEP should halve their raw counts. You are saying that true densities of 40-50 deer/sm are actually more like single digits. THAT was my point. So yes, given all this, then you are showing us all that you are “concerned about 40-50 dpsm being low.”

The real point here is you have no baseline with which to base your opinions on density. You have no clue what 100 vs 200 deer/sm looks like. Or 7 vs 50 deer/sm. You take other people's scientifically valid surveys and apply ridiculous, nonsensical math to "prove" that they are wrong to bring it back home to your conclusion that FF County deer density is in single digits. No one believes you and I am showing you where you are incorrect. Why do you continue to go down kicking and screaming with the ship?

Obviously I have no clue what your methods and equipment are for hunting just as you don't know mine. Again, I can only deduce from your posts here reaming DEEP survey methodology and results, fighting the correction factor, and more recently, suggesting they apply a negative correction factor, that you are advocating for ACTUAL deer abundances around 100 deer/sm so you can see a lot of deer, have a lot of targets, and make it super easy to go "hunting."

I do remember you were in the Marines and I thank you for that. I completely agree with you that the Philippines have a much “denser canopy than that found anywhere in CT.” Believe it or not, I have flown in a 737 over Canada and there too the conifers make for “denser canopy than that found anywhere in CT.” But I am guessing that you weren’t trained by the USMC to count deer and that your time in the Philippines was not spent counting deer through an impenetrable tropical forest canopy. Unlike the Philippines, Connecticut’s canopy is mostly deciduous, which is exactly why we do aerial deer surveys during the dormant season, so you can see to the forest floor. I also remember fellow Marine Larry Davis of Davis Aviation ripping you a new one on Bowsite on your flawed synopsis of his work and him telling you that you had "your head up your fourth point of contact." (Admittedly I had to look that one up and now I know it means your bum because that is the 4th point to hit the ground when parachuting down? Right?) He also told you to improve your hunting skills and if you wanted to know where the deer were in Redding to ask him, because he knew where they were.

Literary masterpiece?? I am humbled, shucks, thanks Mike. So am I to understand that we are in a literary competition here? I thought we were debating deer hunting, deer censusing, and deer management. I don't need to try to write like this, it just comes out that way. I guess it runs in the family as my old man is an outdoor writer. Your prose seems forced and the use of your vocabulary, while impressive, too seems forced. I'd suggest reading and studying up more about deer management, public ownership of wildlife, density calculations, math, stuff like that instead trying to impress with your writing skills.

02-Jan-16
Mike. Holy crow. What mistake?

The one you keep repeating Scott; the one where I say I'm concerned that deer densities are actually 8.7-13.0 dpsm while you insist on trying to insert your 40-50 dpsm nonsense into my mouth.

For starters, what you think the actual densities are is irrelevant to the argument; all that matters is what I actually said.

Now if you want to continue to play games the only person's credibility who's taking a hit is yours. Everyone who's read this thread by now is fully convinced you're making up a quote because you simply refuse to admit you got caught in a lie.

On that subject game-playing is over. Either produce a quote, verbatim or kindly stop playing games and wasting everyone's time.

Obviously I have no clue what your methods and equipment are for hunting just as you don't know mine.

Then you'll agree that the remainder of the paragraph you posted amounts to self-serving tripe as by your own words you haven't a clue about what I use or how I hunt. Thank you; that wasn't so hard now was it?

And no Scott, we're not in a literary competition we're trying to engage in an important discussion on the future of deer hunting in CT. I would hope we're trying to do the best we can, as much as is humanly possible to get it right given the consequences of getting it wrong.

If we look at both sets of figures and apply the statistics compiled in the CT DEEP 2014 summary report we may be able to shed some light on which figures seem to be more in line with what's really on the ground. For clarity, all numbers are post-season (2014) and do include January harvest totals)

From a variety of surveys the state seems to arrive at a range of 945-1,418 deer in Redding (30-45 dpsm).

From the fixed wing flight and the follow-up FLIR the hunters have a range of 219-221 deer or 6.96-7.02 dpsm)

In 2014 for Zone 11 shotgun/rifle accounted for a harvest of 236 deer with a success rate of 20%, while archery accounted for a harvest of 1,257 deer with a success rate of 41%.

For the of calculating relative approximation of numbers we'll use a weighted average success rate of 37.85% (as archery was approximately 85% of the harvest we'll take the archery success rate of 41% and multiply it by 0.85, then add the shotgun rifle success rate of 20% multiplied by 0.15).

The 2014 harvest in Redding was 167 deer. With a starting point of 388 deer this amounts to a success rate of 43.04%.

If we use the states low end of 945 deer a harvest of 167 deer equates to a success rate of 17.7%, on the high end of 1,418 deer it amounts to a success rate of 11.8%.

So we have a weighted average of 37.85% for the Zone 11 harvest from the CT DEEP 2014 summary report.

If the hunter numbers are correct they compare as follows: 43.04% to 37.85%

The state numbers compare as follows:

17.7% to 37.85%

11.8% to 37.85%

The hunter results deviate from the weighted average by 13.7%.

The state results deviate from the weighted average by 53.2% and 68.8%

It would seem that the harvest numbers and success rate would argue much more strongly in favor of the hunters numbers being closer to the mark than the states with regard to the actual deer numbers for Redding.

Interestingly enough for more than 30 years it was pretty much this type of backward-looking extrapolation of deer harvest data that the state of CT used to estimate deer numbers. I add this tidbit of information as it would appear that the then CT DEP's biologists seemed to feel this was a valid method and I would not be just another layperson dabbling in numbers when I employ this methodology.

02-Jan-16
“what you think the actual densities are is irrelevant to the argument; all that matters is what I actually said.” Ummm, what? Seriously? Do you work for DEEP? Do you dictate deer management and deer density? Wait, are you the CT deer God? So actual deer density is irrelevant, and “all that matters is what I[you] actually said.” Are you done staring at your own reflection? No lie Mike, no lie. And it is you wasting everyone’s time.

Here you go. Actual densities are 40-50/sm. You say they are in single digits. Logic dictates that you think 40-50/=low density. I can’t make this stuff up. You are posting it yourself and providing us the quotes. I am not forcing you to say this nor am I putting words in your mouth. Show me where I have ever made up a quote, of course aside from where I wrote out “one third” and “one half” and switched their order. The difference is, I’m solid in my reputation in the deer world. I speak the same language as the state and regional biologists and managers. They read what I am posting here and nod their heads yes. In fact, I make PDFs of most of these threads and email them to lots of them. And they nod their heads yes, say we are sick of this same old nonsense, and say it’s about time someone told these guys how it is.

Bow down to Mike. “. . . all that matters is what I actually said.” ---Mike in CT (1/2/2016).

Mike, you and Glen are in your own world with your math. It makes no sense and the numbers you vomit onto this forum are random and unsubstantiated. I cannot follow them because they are invalid and come from out of the blue with no merit. And if I cannot follow them, I am pretty sure there is no one else here on this site interested or able to follow them. I have shown the guys here from previous posts that your math is bad. I even showed them that when you were trying to create fictitious take for White Buffalo across all of Redding, you were selling yourself short by 50%. Just stop man. You are embarrassing yourself.

02-Jan-16
Dr Williams

why are you on this site? You say you're here to support and educate the hunting community but you encourage hunters to band together to become nothing more than animal control officers, killing deer that certain home owner's or town leaders want removed. That's not being an advocate for hunters and hunting, at least not the kind hunting that I've known and loved for the past 47 years.

Educate? You've turned the forum into your personal battle ground for studies and programs that you instituted, so I wonder why you feel the need to argue the same points over and over? Let it go! Tell us about the fawn recruitment, plans to improve deer habitat, new areas the state may be purchasing, areas where hunting pressure is light, predator impact, future DEEP tag limits or season, etc.

And why tell the hunters on this site about the Town Forum? Why did the DEEP even start the town forum if what you say about DEEP officials monitoring this site is true? Is this an attempt to try to divide and conquer the hunting community? To get a few hunters and/or trappers to become disrespectful on the town forum with the antis, so landowners won't allow hunters on them on their land; just to pave the way for groups like WB to go in and kill the deer? I have no idea why that was even started by the DEEP and it makes me wonder what their intent is for the site.

These are questions, not answers, so don't come back and say BBB is a conspiracy nut. I just don't understand why you're on this site based upon 2 years of listening to you cover the same topics over and over.

If you're here to educate, than avoid the personal arguments. If you're here to support the hunters, then act like a fellow hunter and avoid the condescending comments when others don't agree. I've had many disagreements with others on this site, but I have to say we remained respectful of each other's opinions.

I didn't come to this site to battle about ticks and Lyme disease studies, or the number of deer on a certain transect in Redding. I came to get information about hunting in CT and maybe give a new hunter or two some information about where to go and what to do concerning deer hunting. I was a math major for my under-grad degree, but I didn't come here to re-visit my calculus class from college. :)

02-Jan-16
I think most of us have lost touch with what you two are arguing about. Is anyone else out there? Echo echo echo

02-Jan-16
So doc, how did the rabbit and duck hunting go? By the way, how the hell do you hunt rabbit and duck at the same time?

02-Jan-16
Ya this stuff is old .... other sides need to let it go.

02-Jan-16
jr you mean "both" sides? By the way the deer hunting in Ct sucks because there are way fewer deer than I can ever remember. I hunt FFld county and in the NW corner. And in both places I have been very dissapointed, especially over the last decade, to see the dramatic drop in the deer population. I know each areas has its own set of problems/circumstances that have attributed to this. What I don't know (or have confidence in)is if/when the DEEP is ever going to try to fix the problem(s). Does anybody at this point? Should I expect the DEEP to come in now like a white night riding his horse to save the day? I think not!! It's not rocket science! We need things to change fast but we are only a powerless few here...it will take the masses, but without some sort of legislation many more will keep on doing what they do instead of following what a few on hereare doing. Its a very sad situation and very hard to watch get worse and worse every year...

03-Jan-16
The problem is most of us know the deer heard is below capacity and tags should be cut back some to increase the heard ,on the other hand deep thinks it isn't low enough so no cut back in sight . Steve

03-Jan-16
It's become clear to me what has happened. Many of the deer seen by hunters were shot, the deer that are left are the other half of the deer population that the pros count. Those deer are invisible to many of us.

They are obviously present, the Deer Experts tell us so ... We just can't see them. The part I don't understand is how they leave no tracks or sign, even in the snow.

03-Jan-16
You say they are in single digits. Logic dictates that you think 40-50/=low density.

As I said Scott I'm done playing games with you. Logic dictates if I say I'm concerned about a number that is the number I'm concerned about and any other number is meaningless.

If you were 5 years old I could excuse the nonsensical game you insist on playing, ascribing it to a child's fixation on games. You're supposed to be an adult-start acting like one. Logic dictates if someone states <10 dpsm is low that is what they consider low. Any number greater than 10 would not be considered low. Logic dictates anyone positing a greater number would be considered low is an imbecile.

You are posting it yourself and providing us the quotes.

Yet you've yet to produce a single quote that says what you claim. NOT ONE.

I am not forcing you to say this nor am I putting words in your mouth. Show me where I have ever made up a quote, of course aside from where I wrote out “one third” and “one half” and switched their order.

Well Scott, when you say you're quoting me on the 40-50 dpsm being low and you can't produce a single QUOTE from me you're darn tooting making stuff up.

Producing a quote does not mean INVENTING a quote Scott. Now stop being such a baby and admit I never uttered the words you keep making up. Now would be a good time to display some ethics.

And seeing as you struggle with basic concepts I'll try this and type really slow:

F-O-R-T-Y T-O F-I-F-T-Y I-S M-O-R-E T-H-A-N T-E-N.

I can’t make this stuff up.

The evidence quite clearly says otherwise. The evidence says you make up quite a lot of stuff.

Bow down to Mike. “. . . all that matters is what I actually said.” ---Mike in CT (1/2/2016).

Scott! You got a quote right!! Now if you put it in proper context and left out the self-serving drivel I'd have been really impressed.

I cannot follow them because they are invalid and come from out of the blue with no merit.

Actually Scott I think your deliberate efforts to lie about what I've said point to a reality that says you follow the numbers above quite well. I think they fairly scream that you know the jig is up and are acting as the Minister of Propaganda for the DEEP trying anything and everything to sell the lie. If you could have kept YOUR ego in check you might have had a fighting chance.

And if I cannot follow them, I am pretty sure there is no one else here on this site interested or able to follow them.

Judging from a lot of the comments here Scott it seems like more people not only follow my numbers but agree with them. I'm quite certain that chaps your hide too and leads to the unremitting stream of lies and the failure to admit them even when they're in black and white.

Thanks by the way for the continued citation of the WB math error I made. I really mean that, thanks much. Eveyone here can see once I realized the error I owned up to it. Maybe I should have taken a cue from you and just thrown one hissy fit after another instead of manning up and moving on; nah, I'd hate to infringe on your turf.

You are embarrassing yourself.

And I have every confidence you'll continue that practice Scott; you just can't help yourself.

03-Jan-16

The Great Deer Density scam has been exposed....

03-Jan-16

Dr. Williams's Link
Bob. I am correcting Mike's math that makes no sense. My condescension is only a fraction of and in direct response to Mike's.

Spike. I was hunting a field edge for rabbits that ran alongside a marsh. It was also a pheasant stocking area. I missed a rabbit on the run. But at least I brought in the new year with a bang.

Ace. You can access near 100% of private property from the air. A check of the attached link reports that 93.8% of CT is privately-owned. The 2015 aerial deer survey report I wrote showed that 83% of the deer we saw from the air were on private land in Redding. We are not making this up. There are lots of deer out there, just not equally distributed on private and public land. Do you dispute this?

03-Jan-16
Longbeard. You are serious that the deer hunting in CT sucks? There are plenty of guys posting here that they killed multiple deer this year. How many did you take this year? How many did you see? My take is that hunters have been spoiled over the past decade and yes, there are fewer deer now than then. But to say that deer hunting in CT sucks. . . Really?

03-Jan-16
Oh and Bob. I work for the state but not DEEP. I'm not exactly sure their plans for deer management. And if I told you guys the information you seek on deer and deer hunting, few would listen and would say I was lying and would post some Wizard of Oz nonsense. But the reason DEEP put up that townhall website is they are seeking public comment on the management of a public resource. It is not a ploy to divide the hunting community. DEEP works for the anti hunters as much as they work for hunters. They work for all the public who are interested in CT's wildlife. That's why hunters should not be complacent and need to make their voices heard and need to organize and have their voices heard in Hartford. Who is advocating for us in Hartford now? No one but DEEP. The same agency you guys think are conspiring against hunters and bad mouth most chances you get.

If you guys think tag allotment should be reduced as Steve suggests, organize a bunch of hunters around this cause and take it to DEEP and have an honest conversation with them. But use real data and real numbers. Don't engineer fake ones or twist numbers to serve your purposes because that would not hold any weight and will be quickly dismissed, like the continued assertion there are single digit deer densities in FF County. It's simply false. A for instance, If you organize and go to your state rep with such bogus info, he/she goes to the environment committee, they go back and ask their deer expert (Howard) if FF has single digit densities, Howard say no and they dismiss the bogus claim and hunters' reputation is shot and you blew it with the state rep. That is shooting hunters in the foot. If you want to affect change, don't fabricate data! Work with DEEP, not against them.

03-Jan-16
I am a chemist and I speak with data backed up by statistics. Maybe I am biased because of this and I "tend" to fall on Dr. Mike's side of the argument. I assume he and others doing deer counts have a project plan mapped out before conducting the study including hypothesis, variables and expected outcome. Then the test plan is run, the data analyzed and the expected outcome checked vs the actual outcome. If the results check out, great. What's the next logical test. If not, why did the result come out different. No emotion. Just science.

The only way to put this argument to bed is another deer count. No fudge factors allowed (we are not trying to prove global warming here). The good Dr. Has been transparent in supplying the data he has access to and we should be thanful for the opportunity to do a "peer" review and voice our concerns.

I hunt the NW corner. I too feel the herd is a bit thin. Is this what the DEEP wants? Don't know. I'm not in those meetings. Do I think the tagging system is to generous, yes. I also gun hunt NH. They have a 2 day doe season then buck only (one tag only and it cost you $3 at check in). Talk about hard work if you don't tag a doe. The NH harvest is up 5% this year even after the bruttal winter last year. And they were expecting it to be down and possibly enact further restrictions.

We have one year of low harvest numbers. Is this a trend? Don't know yet. Next year will tell. If the number is the same as 2015 then we might be looking at a new " norm" if it drops further, then we might be in trouble....

03-Jan-16
Thanks Sarge. Yes, pure science. Lay out a plan, predetermined transects, fly, and report the numbers as they fall. DEEP does the same thing. Are numbers down? Yes. Is harvest down? Yes. Are there still deer in CT? Yes. Are they mostly on private land? Yes. Is 94% of CT in private ownership? Yes. Have hunters hammered the limited public land available? Yes. Do deer take evasive action and try to not die? Yes. Is there some vast conspiracy to make up numbers to make it appear there are more deer on the ground than there actually are? No.

03-Jan-16
I agree with Longbeard. CT deer hunting is not nearly as enjoyable as it could be. Short answer....it is not good. What's my definition of good? Deer seen on most outings, passing up deer, areas torn to shreds with sign, buck rubs, scrapes, in multiple areas, state land included. It sure used to be like this. Wow, what fun it was to bowhunt here.

I can tell you what most outings are these days....lots of nothing. Look at all the Live Hunts....most end without even a deer seen. Days and days of sitting staring at nothing. This isn't the big woods of Maine....this is suburban CT, where deer should be and can be abundant.

The state can absolutely manage this better. Absolutely.

03-Jan-16
" The only way to put this argument to bed is another deer count."

Five towns are now scheduled to be surveyed in Zone 11 with FLIR in January-February 2016

Spin away doc !

03-Jan-16
No need for spin if the methodology is sound and based on the scientific method. If they add a " fudge factor" then the wheels will turn.

What about a flir study in the NW corner. The fawn study seems conclusive that "something" is going on up there.

03-Jan-16
No spin needed. VisionAir's detection rates suck. Everyone knows that, but she is not dumb, I will give her that. Nowhere in her reports does she even suggest what densities are or what her detection rate is. She says she flew this speed with this equipment using transects of this width over this amount of time over this area and she detected this many deer. Then it is the spin doctors like Glen who work their magic math and come up with perceived density based on those methods assuming 100% detection. Show me in her report where she reports a density. You can't, because she doesn't. If you look at CAES or DEEP reports, we report density.

I will say I'm curious what the results from the 5 towns are as her surveys can vary tremendously based on time and weather. If deer are active and moving, her methods can detect a bunch. If they are hunkered down and not in the open, forget it.

03-Jan-16
Yes Doc I am serious. And if you are going to ask a question put the wording in question form. You are very sloppy for someone with Dr. before your name. I agree with Blood, this is not big woods like the Adirondacks. We should be able to see deer most times we go out here in the burbs. You can call it what you want, all I'm saying is it's nothing like it used to be. Maybe the herd wasn't healthy then, but it sure isn't fun now. As far as how many I took this year, you can look that up yourself. I am a very selective hunter and only shoot 3.5 yr old bucks or better. I've gone through the stages of "if its brown its down" or "I have to get my buck". I am in it for the challenge and the experience. And how many I saw this is pitiful. Cameras don't lie and whether you want to spin it or not, there just isn't that many deer out there to not be selective. Some of these are the same properties I have hunted for 30 years.

03-Jan-16
Thanks for the critique of my degree and wordsmithing Beard. But what part of "you are serious that the deer hunting in CT sucks?" Is not in "question form?" Please don't go down the Mike route of nitpicking nonsense. I actually asked you 4 questions in that post, all of which were in "question form." And I can't look up how many you took because I don't work for DEEP. I imagine it was more than one or else you would have shared that with the group. If you whacked two or more deer this season, well, I'd say that the hunting doesn't suck. Which was my point in asking.

I guess our definitions of sucky deer hunting differs slightly. If you feel that CT deer hunting sucks now because you don't see deer every time you go out, you have been spoiled with an unrealistically high density for years. If you are passing on deer, the deer hunting does not suck. Again, this is not trout fishing. Hell, even when I go trout fishing, I don't see trout every time out. Seeing deer every time out is not realistic. Seeing deer every time out is not hunting. CT hunters have been spoiled for years and now have completely unrealistic expectations.

04-Jan-16
"If you are passing on deer, the deer hunting does not suck."

You saw a deer, ... you decided not to shoot that deer, ... that proves that the deer hunting in CT "does not suck".

They gave you a PhD for research like that?

04-Jan-16
Is that you all have to contribute "Ace?" That's some great addition to the conversation. Very intellectual of you.

04-Jan-16

04-Jan-16
My point is, if you are electing not to shoot a legal deer that presents a killing shot to you in hopes that a larger deer presents itself a similar legal killing shot later in the 4.5 month season, you should probably not be complaining about how bad the deer hunting is. The deer hunting is probably fine. If you are passing on deer, you are an entitled and spoiled rotten deer hunter. Tell a guy from northern New England how much CT "deer hunting sucks" when you are killing multiple deer/year and are passing on shots. Jesus, what is wrong with you guys?!! Spoiled rotten, that's what is wrong. Like a FF County kid that never grew up, spoiled rotten.

04-Jan-16
Woah. Entitled and spoiled because we pass deer.

As hunters, we practice conservation. We are all not killers in the sense that we need to kill a deer to survive.

Isn't conservation the essence of modern hunting? Take what you need, leave some for the next guy, or leave some for tomorrow.

And we share the woods with you.....

04-Jan-16
You have done a good job of explaining to the sportsmen of Connecticut just what you stand for in regard to wildlife. You have never made or suggested any form of deer conservation or shown any regard for the hunting heritage in Connecticut. You have only talked of killing deer, selling venison and market hunting under the guise of what the " public " wants; destruction of whitetail deer. You have become the very definition of a " Wildlife Terrorist."

04-Jan-16
See there you go Doc getting personal and calling me names. Like I said, spin it the way you want to Doc but I see it differently. And yes I shot one deer this year and one last year. The first time I've gone back to back in quite some time. That doesn't mean its getting better. I spend many, many hours in the woods each year. It just happened to work in my favor. I pass up deer for two reasons: one because I am afraid of what our future holds (according to the deer numbers I have observed in the past decade). Seems to be too many guys out there with a hunting philosophy similar to yours and that scares the hell out of me. Secondly, as I explained earlier I am in it to see/observe deer and to harvest older age class deer. Your right the deer hunting is fine, if you compare it to big woods hunting. Its all relevant, but we are not in the big woods. Maybe we shouldn't go back to the way it was in the 90's but the way its going we are heading for the way it was in the 50's and 60's

04-Jan-16
That is totally fine to practice "conservation". But to be able to pass on deer means you are hunting in an area with plenty of deer if you are able to be selective, especially in a state like CT that provides multiple tags. Hunting doesn't "suck" if you are able to practice "conservation." I'm certain most guys, even on this forum, would agree with me.

Longbeard, to reiterate, if you have the luxury of being able to pass on deer, hunting does not suck. Period. I too take one deer a year. If hunters want to manage deer, then they should manage deer.

05-Jan-16
Dr William

I don't agree that just because you see deer and pass on them that there are plenty of deer where you hunt. There are places on state land where you could sit all year and not see a deer.

The places I hunt have a small resident population and so if I say that I saw 52 deer in 15 outings in a particular season, it doesn't mean there are 52 deer in the area around my stand. It means I see the same 3-4 deer over and over each day in the field.

So if I walk for an hour and cover 3-4 miles each day in the woods and see just 3-4 deer in the area, even if I double it for the deer I don't see, there are still not a lot of deer on that large section of state land. And while walking for an hour I see very little sign, so finding the "pockets" is the key.

05-Jan-16
Doc you are talking apples and oranges. Geez no wonder Mike has to keep reiterating what he is trying to say. You either just don't get it or you are just stubborn enough not to want to understand. Thank you BBB for trying to help make my point.

05-Jan-16
Doc,

I agree with you on this. If I choose to pass on deer, and I sometimes do, and did this year, I can't say that the hunting sucks. Far from it.

Even if I hunt hard all year see two deer all year and put both in the freezer, I wouldn't say the hunting sucks.

I actually think the deer hunting in CT continues to be good, although I agree the numbers are down.

I do understand this is a minority opinion though and my perspective on what constitutes a quality experience hunting is not widely shared.

05-Jan-16
I have come from both ends of the spectrum living in a state with a ton of deer and moving back to a state with a crappy amount of deer. The state with a ton of deer was no challenge at all and while it was nice seeing a lot of deer it was not exciting as like the Doc said not really hunting. Now after moving back to MA I feel a good balance is somewhere in the middle. I saw roughly 50 deer a year in VA and average around 7 a year in MA. I took 4 deer first year in VA and 4 the second year. It would have been easy to kill more but I'm not greedy. In MA I have killed 1 deer in two years and their was no passing up deer. Big difference. After hearing you guys and following the live hunts it sounds like you are in my happy medium zone. I wouldn't complain at all with what you have.

05-Jan-16
Toonces

I think we sometimes answer the same questions from different perspectives.

Do I think CT is a good deer state? Not any more, expecially when I compare it states like Georgia or Alabama,,,,,or the way CT used to be years ago.

Now, does that mean hunting in CT is not enjoyable? Not at all. As most of you on this site know I hadn't shot a deer in 16 years until last year, but those 16 years were very enjoyable hunts. I saw enough deer to make interesting and challenging,....that's all I need.

Now ask me if I think the deer herd in CT is managed correctly? NO. Why? Because according the DEP, CT had a healthy herd back in the 80's and they were encouraging herd growth and I was seeing deer every time out. So to have Dr Williams or anyone in the DEEP say we have too many deer and we need to kill more, more, more just defies common sense. I see deer far less now and I see far less evidence of deer.

And if the FLIR studies use the method of actually walking in the woods to verify what the aerial surveys found, then I can tell you first hand that they are doing what the hunters on this site have done for years. So how can it be a correct method for the survey but not good science when the hunting community uses boots on the ground to determine herd health?

05-Jan-16
Spike with all due respect I don't really care what other states are/have. I'm only concerned with Ct and you know how I feel about that. I'm not trying to be an ass or offend anyone, I'm just telling you what I have observed over 30 years of hunting in Ct and how I feel about present day hunting in Ct and where we are heading. Toonces, I also hunt in Goshen and have for the past 20 years, and what is going on there isn't good either. Different set of problems/circumstances from FFld CTY but same trend.

05-Jan-16
Bob,

I don't know what the raw numbers when comparing the 80's and now.

Assuming your right though and there were more deer then than now and assuming your also right and the DEEP was encouraging herd growth then, as opposed to now, my take is this.

The DEEP in the 80's were encouraging hunters and hunting as a recreational activity. There wasn't the animal rights opposition there is now, there were no lyme scares, no gun scares and hunting was more of a rural activity more than a suburban one. I also don't think deer to car collisions was on the radar of the insurance companies yet. Compared to now very few hunters bow hunted in the 80's either so suburban hunting wasn't the deal it is now.

So basically in the 80's what you had is the DEEP working for the benefit its primary constituents - hunters and fisherman. Other forces that now influence the DEEP were not yet in play.

As bow hunting grew in popularity and effectiveness with better technology and better hunters, hunting moved more into the burbs and more into the faces of rich urban folks, the DEEP was faced with how to deal with hunting in an urban liberal state that is quickly becoming more and more liberal and further and further removed from country based roots and values. I think the DEEP (and the hunting community in general), made a strategic decision that hunting has to be justified to non hunters in order for it to survive in the new world.

DEEP thought it had to come up with a objective reason that deer should be killed, other than to promote hunting, that would satisfy competing interests. They decided hunting would be justified as a tool to control populations.

I really see this change as having nothing to do with population of animals or biology, it is more a change of attitude of people and the relationship between hunters and non hunters.

My criticism of the DEEP and more so hunters is that we allowed and even encouraged this change for short term gain at the expense of the long term health of the sport.

05-Jan-16
Rich you going to the game dinner down the snbc ?

05-Jan-16
Toonces you bring some interesting ideas up. Not really related to this conversation, but your last sentence is why I think population control or "management" of an animal is a bad strategy for validating hunting.

In other words, when I see someone try to validate the activity of hunting to non hunters or anti hunters, it makes me feel very frustrated. No one hunts to manage deer. Almost all of us "say that", and maybe it's a concept that's been pushed on "us" from both game agencies and groups like QDMA. But realistically, we hunt for many reasons, and managing the deer population is not really a high reason to do so. Management is a side effect of hunting, not a primary rationale for anyone Ive ever met.

Ok, back to the debate :).

05-Jan-16
I think Toonces hit the nail on the head. I agree with Will's take on hunting. I certainly don't hunt with the intent to manage the deer population. It's bs that we have to mask our intentions. Hunters unite!!!!

05-Jan-16
Longbeard i hear yah. I guess what im saying is one mans trash is another mans treasure. I will be hunting in ct this year and im hoping it will be better then what im seeing here. I see some of these live hunts here and am amazed at the amount of deer you guys see. Will, well said i agree.

05-Jan-16
Toonces nailed it. Will is right too. But my point is in a state like CT, with so many people and the hunting tradition virtually non existent, what is going to get hunters more opportunity and access? Deer and tick borne disease management. That has been and always will be the justification for increase hunting opportunity in suburban CT. Like it or not, that is fact. May as well embrace it because this ain't Maine, VT, or NH where there are fewer people and most of them actually hunt.

05-Jan-16
I think what it comes down to is that guys here need a lesson/refresher course in democracy and the legislative process. The CT legislators are a bunch of people like you and me interested in serving the public, not some super secret spy agency who works with super secret DEEP to fly and stock mountain lions throughout CT using Black Hawks purchased from Sikorsky. You tell them your concerns, they act upon those concerns to keep their constituency happy to keep them voting and keep them in elected office.

My state senator is Ted Kennedy, Jr., freshman state senator from Zone 12, lots of people, and lots of deer and clearly he is connected to Presidents and federal politics. Not sure how much he has hunted, but I also know that he is a fellow graduate of the Yale School of Forestry and Environmental Studies where he studied public health. Oh, and he is Chair of the Environment Committee. So, with a guy like this, pretty much in charge of hunting legislation in state, what approach do you think would be best to say, allow shotgun/rifle deer hunting on Sunday? Do you think it would hold more weight if he went back to his constituency and said that all these guys' dads hunted for years and tradition dictates that they should be permitted to hunt with firearms on Sundays because now we can buy alcohol and medical weed on Sundays? Or do you think he and those voters would better accept something more self-serving, like if we let these hunters do their thing on Sundays, there would be more deer taken which would reduce the numbers of ticks and would lessen the risk of the public contracting a tick-borne disease? Come on guys, this is not brain surgery.

06-Jan-16
Dr. Williams

you're on the wrong site! If you want to be the advocate for animal control, commercial killing of nuisance animals, disease control through wildlife elimination,...then go to those sites and make your proposals.

I said it before, you're not advocating for the hunting community, at least not the hunting that I grew up with! You say CT doesn't have a hunting tradition and I say to that - who cares as long as those of us that hunt hold to the tradition?

You've made your stance very clear to me this year on this site. I now know to ignore the science you're presenting since it has nothing to do with "traditional hunting." The day that this state adopts what you're selling is the day I sell my hunting equipment to the animal controllers and take up bird watching.

06-Jan-16
BBB x2

06-Jan-16
BBB X3 - and I`ll go fishing !

06-Jan-16
Thank you BBB Toonces, while you do make some good points, I would have to say that no I did not "hunt to manage" back then, but I certainly do now. I believe we all should because it is a resource that could very well be gone some day. Steve yes I will be there. Hope to see you and Dave there

06-Jan-16
Longbeard, I think Toonces is saying that we don't consider ourselves management tools deemed by DEEP. We hunt because we are hunters. Of course conservation is in the mind of any legit hunter. The problem may be that we are putting our faith in bag limits set by DEEP.

06-Jan-16
Ah well. If you guys want to remain ignorant about the legislative process, whether it is for increased opportunity or decreased take, then don’t complain when others dictate deer management to you. Clearly my take is generational as the old guard traditionalists age out but still cling to that tradition very vocally. That tradition is not going to keep the younger generations hunting in an urbanized state like CT. Deer vehicle collisions abatement, tick-borne disease control, and alleviating excessive herbivory to cultivated and natural ecosystems is what is going to keep deer hunting alive in CT. You can fight me on this, but you know deep down I am correct. I am just the messenger trying to enlighten. Clearly there are three vocal traditionalists who disagree. . . but likely many more reading this and nodding their heads in agreement.

Just further proof that “The biggest threat to today’s sportsmen is today’s sportsmen.”

06-Jan-16
Doc,

I know deep down you are not correct.

Management is ultimately a losing argument, not a winning one.

Its not that management is a bad argument, it is just not the best long term argument, even in urbanized liberal states.

If we are managers, ultimately someone is coming to come up with better, more efficient, more cost effective, more politically correct, managers. We are like hamsters in a wheel, constantly trying to redefine who we are and how we operate to maintain our position as managers, and in so doing move further and further away from being hunters. Ultimately it is a battle we cannot win and also remain hunters. In fact it is a battle we probably can't win the long term as managers either.

If we are hunters, we don't have to worry about someone coming along and being better more efficient hunters. Hunting is not a results driven, external metrics based activity like management is. We may lose that battle too, but at least we lose with integrity and not running in the wheel.

06-Jan-16
Toonces

hitting the nail on the head bears no weight with Dr Williams. You can't justify hunting as hunting with him!! You can only justify hunting as a way to remove nuisance deer. All other arguments are silly. The scenario you state above is 100% accurate. WB is a better model to remove nuisance deer,.....but it's not hunting, at least not to me.

Dr Williams - so let's carry your argument forward a few years. Are you saying the DEEP will allow "hunters" to use high powered rifles with silencers over bait at night on public and private lands? Is that the future of hunting you're pushing for?

06-Jan-16

Dr. Williams's Link
Toonces. I know how you feel on this based on past conversations. You would prefer to have groups like White Buffalo be hired to take care of overabundant scenarios while hunters did their thing and recreated. A very unique take if I must say so. I guess we are going to have to agree to disagree here. But without representation in Hartford and without being organized, I am afraid the only thing the legislators can, for lack of a better term, “sell” hunting to Suzie homemaker is through the free public service hunting provides them. You guys here surround yourself in the hunting culture; eat, breathe, sleep it and that’s great. But open your eyes to the masses in a state like CT and I am willing to guess most of them don’t know many, if any, people who hunt. My point is the CT legislature consists mostly of urbanites because CT is an urban state with lots of people, the 4th most densely populated state in the nation with 741.6 people/square mile per the 2010 census! You, me, and all the guys on this site understand the importance of tradition, but that is no going to get the ball rolling in Hartford.

It makes sense to me to hunt with suppression to keep a lower profile from the public and to keep deer naïve. Sure, why not? According to this site, there are 9 states where suppressors are outright illegal and an additional 4 only that do not permit their use when hunting, CT being one of those 4. They are legal for hunting in the remaining 37 states.

06-Jan-16
Dr Williams

you're on the CT BOWSITE! BOWSITE! BOWSITE! Talking about guns with suppressors contributes to this site in what way?

06-Jan-16
Doc,

I think I would take the risk of the state going to Suzie Homemaker and asking her permission to send in sharp shooters with high powered assault rifles into her neighborhood to take care of her pest deer.

If Suzie doesn't like hunters, she ain't going to like that idea either and since CT is all private land, the state is going need Suzie's permission for any deer culling activities. So I say, let them have it, send in the sharp shooters into the neighborhoods and see what kind of PR fiasco that turns into.

Right now hunters are doing the state a favor by taking the brunt of the PR fall out, not the other way around.

As far as representation in Hartford, we don't need it. We don't need Hartford, we don't even need the DEEP.

If the DEEP thinks there are too many deer in this state, and hunters decide they aren't going kill as many as DEEP wants, what is DEEP going to do, ban hunting so even less deer get killed? The state is dumb and incompetent, but I doubt they are that dumb.

Hunters would be best served by deciding amongst themselves the best way to manage the herd and do it. If we are committed to it, there is nothing the DEEP can do about it except start knocking on doors themselves and asking permission to send in tax payer funded shooters on to private land and into the suburbs.

Good luck, go ahead give it try. You might be successful in certain areas, but now way would it work on any large scale, and in the mean time Hunters can sit on the sidelines for once out the fray and just hunt.

06-Jan-16
Dr. Williams that was a legitimate question. Are you saying the deep will allow hunters to use high powered rifles with silencers at night over bait to shoot deer in the future. Rather than asking me if I'm for real just answer the question. That's what you're advocating I'd like to know if that's your take on the future of hunting

06-Jan-16
Bob, because you asked me about them.

"Are you saying the DEEP will allow "hunters" to use high powered rifles with silencers over bait at night on public and private lands? Is that the future of hunting you're pushing for?" ------Bob

Is this for real? Are you for real?

06-Jan-16
Toonces. I find your take fascinating. But why then don't hunters do what you suggest? Why is everyone complaining about DEEP then? If hunters control the destiny of deer in CT, what's the deal these days? Why are all the guys on this site badmouthing DEEP for inaction?

06-Jan-16
You sure like those Jedi Mind Tricks.

Why would any bowhunter subscribe to killing for the sake of elimination? That isn't the essence of being able to take an animal cleanly and effectively with a bow and arrow.

I can't believe we share the woods with you. How did your dad teach you about woodsmanship and respect for the animal? How the heck did you get so jaded towards deer and other bow hunters?

06-Jan-16
Dr Williams

I know what I asked on both counts. You're on bow site talking about hunting with high powered rifles with suppressors, and I want to know why? I also wanted to know if you think this is the future of hunting? Is the DEEP going to allow "hunters" the same latitude given to WB with night hunting, over bait, high powered rifles, no limits, no tags, etc? Are you for real??

This is what you're advocating on a BOWSITE!! Why? Go find a gun site or animal control site and play your games.

06-Jan-16
Oh you're just too smart for me.

06-Jan-16
Bob. This is like talking to my kids. You mentioned hunting with suppressed firearms and I responded. It is you who brought this up. On Bowsite. This is where the thread goes into the downward death spiral. When guys come unglued and stop making logical sense and question my posts that are direct responses to previous posts of their's.

06-Jan-16
I'm sorry you're right I started the questioning about guns and silencers. Please forgive me. So will the deep let use the same things as wb in your future world?

06-Jan-16
Search this thread for silencer or suppression and tell me who mentions it first. Has nothing to do with intelligence. Just keep up is all I ask.

07-Jan-16
Doc,

Why don't hunters do as I suggest? Because hunters are stupid and brainwashed to think that without government regulation, structure and resources, they are incapable of accomplishing anything.

It's just another example government dependency. Hunters may fly a "don't tread on my flag" off their trucks, but when faced with a real problem, the first inclination is to blame the DEEP and Hartford and then look to the DEEP and Hartford to fix it.

07-Jan-16
Toonces

hold on, many of the guys on this site already stated they let deer walk to manage the herd at some small level, so waiting for the government to tell us there's fewer deer is not what's happening overall.

There will always be those that take advantage of the system, but if the system had a tighter control on the allowable harvest then the abuse would be lower also. Someone has to set the speed limit so that if the sign says 65 people know they can go 70 without fear of a ticket. If it were 70 then they would go 85.

07-Jan-16
BBB,

We don't need a speed limit, we just have to decide what we want to do and do it. Speed limits don't stop anyone from speeding.

Why do we need the government to tell us how many deer there are? Why do we care how many deer the government thinks there are? If the these threads are any indication, nobody knows how many deer there are

It is all absolutely irrelevant and a waste of time. Hunters hold all the cards, all of them.

DEEP and Hartford are absolutely powerless in this thing unless they rewrite the Constitution on due process and private property rights. The sooner we realize that the better.

07-Jan-16
Toonces - I only half agree with you. We hunters do hold a lot of power on the management side because with the situation we have now we can "police" ourselves and let deer walk until they get to what we view as an acceptable level. However, in the NW corner for example, it has more to do with natural predation than it does with over harvest. We would need to rely on Hartford and legislation to pass laws to level the playing field for the deer herd. For example they would have to pass guidelines to have a bear season or bobcat season. We can't just start shooting bears and /or bobcats willy nilly without one or we would then be breaking the law. I'm certainly not agreeing that Hartford does it right, but I can't advocate breaking the law because I don't agree with them.

07-Jan-16
LB,

Predators kill a lot of deer. I am not in favor of a bear season or a bob cat season whose purpose it is to kill more predators to save deer, or kill more predators to protect hikers.

The deer don't need to be saved from predators. The hikers don't need to be saved from them either.

If we want a predator season because a bobcat of bear is a worthy game animal equal to or even superior to deer, then fine. Bear and bob cats deserve equal respect from hunters that deer do.

If we want to kill bears and bob cats to save the deer, or protect hikers or bird feeders, then it is no different or better than killing deer to save shrubbery, lower insurance premiums or to protect scared housewives from ticks. If we go down that road then we are just managers again, and not hunters.

07-Jan-16
Toonces. My technician just reminded me of something regarding Suzie Homemaker and White Buffalo. During the Redding project, we needed to seek out private properties to gain permission to sharpshoot deer. Who is home during the day in a town like Redding, you got it, Suzie. We had multiple Suzies who were super cooperative even when Glen whipped up his band and they would trespass downrange from the sharpshooters and would swear and make rude and obscene gestures at Suzie as she drove down her driveway most days. The cops and game wardens came there on multiple occasions, and even still, that Suzie called me on multiple occasions to say how impressed she was with WB staff professionalism and ethics. Another Suzie was super cooperative and too sang the praises of WB and said to my technician about all the hunter hub bub and backlash at the time, and I quote “I don’t care about the hunters, I just don’t want my kids getting Lyme disease.” And yet another permitted hunters on their property too during the season and were sick and tired of the deer eating their plants so had WB guys there after the season. WB staff use a bolt action .223 and take 1 shot/deer and its lights out. I think guys here imagine them as ex-militia hell bent on killing, pumping off multiple rounds on their AK. Truth is, they are humble, professional, intelligent, ethical guys that know what Suzie is concerned about because they have met and worked with about 10,000 Suzies over the years.

But your last post made me stand up and sing “Glory, glory, hallelujah. Glory, glory, hallelujah.”

“Why don't hunters do as I suggest? Because hunters are stupid and brainwashed to think that without government regulation, structure and resources, they are incapable of accomplishing anything.

It's just another example government dependency. Hunters may fly a "don't tread on my flag" off their trucks, but when faced with a real problem, the first inclination is to blame the DEEP and Hartford and then look to the DEEP and Hartford to fix it.”

07-Jan-16
Like I said Doc,

If the State thinks that government sharp shooters can do the job, let them try. Given the political fall out, the time needed to knock on doors, liability issues, public costs in taxes, insurance, I don't think it is feasible on a large scale. Again though, in my opinion, have at it.

It wouldn't hurt hunting a bit in my opinion. If anything after the public backlash, hunters will be seen as the reasonable ones compared to the state, and we will have to do nothing at all except sit back and watch.

07-Jan-16
Toonces

you REALLY believe that hunters hold all the cards?? Why does a civilized society establish laws, rules, regulations, licenses, permits, etc if your comments are correct? Really?

07-Jan-16
BBB,

As the regs are currently written Hunters do indeed hold all the cards, all of them, and even a fifth ace up our sleeves.

What else do you want? We have all the tags we could possibly want, long seasons, and a ton of flexibility on how we hunt. Basically the regs leave complete discretion to the hunters.

If the regs were tight, like a one week season 10 point buck or better, only longbows, whatever, then the DEEP would hold all the cards because hunters would have no flexibility and no discretion and no freedom to act independently.

DEEP has essentially handed over the reigns to us. We are fee to manage the herd however we want. We don't need anything from them. They have already given us everything we need to do it. Combine that with the amount of private land in the state that DEEP essentially has no access too, and we do in many cases have access to, how can you say that hunters don't have all the cards?

07-Jan-16
Now the spokesman for the CAES is telling the Connecticut Sportsmen that we should all become WB / WTS wannabe's and rid Connecticut, ( zone 11 & 12 ) of whitetail deer. I think you should go back to your boss at CAES and the heads of DEEP and try and explain, and sell this plain to them in detail. And then try and explain it to the soccer moms and animal activists in Connecticut. Go for it.....!

07-Jan-16
Toonces

I think I understand your point better after your last post. Yes Ct has very liberal tag limits and seasons, but in the NW corner I want less tags and a shorter season. Now I can chose not to hunt or not to harvest, but all of the other guys who also ignore the speed limits, can take their double digit deer every year regardless of the herd strength.

As for not having seasons on bobcats and bears, I think that falls into the same scenario. Where bobcats and bears are a problem for the BALANCE of wildlife we must use the best tool we have to rebalance, and that's to cull them to more balanced levels. If not, we'll have sharpshooters after them as well.

I think our viewpoints are based upon what we want from hunting and your viewpoint is very different than mine, so we're definitely not going to have the same approach to wildlife management.

07-Jan-16
BBB,

We do have different view points, your solution is to allow DEEP make the decision for us.

My viewpoint is for hunters to collectively make the decision (everyone is not going to be happy, but everyone is not going to be happy with DEEP either).

Instead of spending energy and dollars lobbying in Hartford and DEEP, turn that energy inward and lobby ourselves.

More laws and regulations are weak sauce compared people free to do whatever they want but choosing to act together in their cooperative best interest. We don't all win by utilizing the force of government to impose its will on us (even if some of us agree with the will being imposed).

By the way, how many people do you know taking double digit deer every year in the NW corner? Given your inclination to drop a dime, I would have thought if you actually knew that was going on you would have done something about it. It seems to me that kind of statement is nothing but hyperbole.

Why are bears and bobcats a problem for balance? They seem to be balancing just fine. They are wild animals. They are doing what wild animals do. Since when does balance mean there need to be enough deer for human hunters to have a quality hunt. There seem to be enough deer for the bears to have a quality hunt.

Again, I would love a predator season, but it isn't about balancing the scales for deer (whatever that means), its about the opportunity to hunt predators.

07-Jan-16
BBB,

We do have different view points, your solution is to allow DEEP make the decision for us.

My viewpoint is for hunters to collectively make the decision (everyone is not going to be happy, but everyone is not going to be happy with DEEP either).

Instead of spending energy and dollars lobbying in Hartford and DEEP, turn that energy inward and lobby ourselves.

More laws and regulations are weak sauce compared people free to do whatever they want but choosing to act together in their cooperative best interest. We don't all win by utilizing the force of government to impose its will on us (even if some of us agree with the will being imposed).

By the way, how many people do you know taking double digit deer every year in the NW corner? Given your inclination to drop a dime, I would have thought if you actually knew that was going on you would have done something about it. It seems to me that kind of statement is nothing but hyperbole.

Why are bears and bobcats a problem for balance? They seem to be balancing just fine. They are wild animals. They are doing what wild animals do. Since when does balance mean there need to be enough deer for human hunters to have a quality hunt. There seem to be enough deer for the bears to have a quality hunt.

Again, I would love a predator season, but it isn't about balancing the scales for deer (whatever that means), its about the opportunity to hunt predators.

07-Jan-16
Toonces

I don't know of anyone getting taking double digit deer in the NW corner, and that comment was meant to show that they "could" do it legally if they could find that many deer. Does that make sense? Not many deer in that area yet the DEEP makes it legal to shoot away? That was my point.

I would love to be able to convince all hunters to let young deer pass and only take bucks of a certain size, but the likelihood of that happening are slim. I guess I'm a bit conservative in my viewpoints since I was raise to respect authority, so if the DEEP sets the rules then I need to ask them to change them.

What if the situation was reversed and I thought there were too many deer in my area? Would you advocate just shooting away, regulations be damned? Let the hunter control his destiny?

07-Jan-16
BBB,

You only need to ask the DEEP to change the rules if the rules preclude you doing something that you want to do. What do you want to do, that the rules prevent you from doing?

Unless my math is wrong Landowners owning more than 10 acres are the only ones that could potentially reach 10 legal deer in the NW corner and only then if every possible tag were exhausted, public and private including all implements. I don't think there is a huge risk of that happening with any regularity.

07-Jan-16
Toonces, if one wants to replenish the resource, you have to put a limit on the general take. We as hunters, can police ourselves to an extent. We are a small group here, but there are about 15,000 permitted archers in the state. So unless you put a boundary or lower the limit on what you can take, many guys will say, "if its legal, I'm gonna do it." And I have to imagine that with the growth of archery in CT in recent years, a lot of guys are new to the sport and just want to kill something.

Conversely, predators know no boundaries or limits and will kill all year, day and night, no mercy....sometimes just to kill for the sake of killing. Therein lies the quandary with your method of not killing predators to protect or booster another resource. When you have all these new hands in the cookie jar, the cookies are gonna get real scarce real soon.

07-Jan-16
If someone is able to legally take 10 deer in a season, wherever that may be, the deer population is doing just fine. No worries of herd collapse.

07-Jan-16
Bloodtrail,

Bobcats are bears shouldn't be viewed as hands in the cookie jar, they should be viewed as cookies. I have heard of wolves possibly killing for for fun, but do you have evidence that any natural predators in CT are out killing deer just for the sake of killing and walking away from the meat, or are you making that up?

My point is we can either use resources to try to make the DEEP to change the laws, or forget about the DEEP and use those resources to convince hunters to start thinking differently. I think the latter is more valuable than the former. I would rather see the Bob Crooks of the world trying to change how hunters think rather than trying to change how DEEP or legislators think.

07-Jan-16
I would think the thoughts of the deeep is that they offer that many tags knowing that their is alot of unhuntable land out there. If you take alot of public land deer out then the private land deer can disperse into public. How many guys out there out of all the hunters actually tag more than 2 a year? If they do then they are in an area with a good number of deer.

07-Jan-16
Spike, respectfully, a lot of bowhunters have no need to kill more than a deer or two in a season....but guys do all day long because it's legal. But who wants to shoot fawns, numerous does and small deer?

And Toonces, I guess guys should SSS to handle the bear and bobcats with your thought process if the DEEP won't impose a season. Most of the bow hunters here want the herd to rebound. Bears, bobcats and coyotes are now replacing hunters as a means to reduce deer. They need to be managed.

07-Jan-16
Bloodtrail not saying i agree with it im saying that could be their reasoning.

08-Jan-16
BT,

No my point is that hunters should view the possibility of bear hunting as a new cool animal to be able to hunt, not a means to protect the deer.

Of course your right though, it is theoretical until a bear or bobcat season is in place. I am not suggesting SSS. I am just suggesting that we should support a bear or bobcat season not as a management opportunity but as a hunting opportunity.

We have to be consistent. If we don't want to be viewed or used as population control for deer, we can't position ourselves as population control for bears.

We already screwed up how the public and DEEP views our roles with regard to deer. I am suggesting we not make the same mistake with bears.

08-Jan-16
Understood.

08-Jan-16
Bob,

I think in the future when you post about "potential take" you should be very precise in your wording as to preclude a misinterpretation of something than is possible to do versus something that has in fact already been done.

A landowner in NW CT purchasing every available deer tage CAN (in theory) take as many as 10 deer. In reality that number can be anywhere from 10 to 0. I understood what you meant as I'm sure Toonces did but evidently it wasn't as obvious as you may have believed when you initially posted it.

Toonces,

We've been on the same page with regard to hunters painting themselves into a corner by offering themselves as a "management tool." I hope it has not escaped the notice of some who feel that is the way to go that there were 2 of the 12 DMZ's excluded from Sunday hunting as the targeted management goal was already surpassed for those zones.

It should go without saying that the remaining zones can suffer the same fate if the same target is met. From there it is also not unreasonable to suggest similar restrictions on take could be imposed as we (hunters) have put ourselves into a position where we do not argue for expanded hunting opportunities based on a desire to hunt but rather for "management."

Agree 100% on your comments to bear; it could kill 2 birds with one stone if you will. Bear can be pretty good eating and if you know good people you can do a lot with a bear hide.

08-Jan-16
Mike

thanks for the clarification. I sometimes post from my phone, and it's not the best way to do it. I have enough problems from my computer:)

08-Jan-16
"It should go without saying that the remaining zones can suffer the same fate if the same target is met."

That is a HUGE if!!!!

08-Jan-16
Not so huge in at least 8 of the remaining 10, one of which limits hunters to the use of "either sex" tags (which pretty much assures a bucks only take).

I'm a big fan of closing the barn door while the horses are still in the barn......

Out of curiosity; do you know what the target dpsm number is? (I do)

8^)

08-Jan-16
I was under the impression that the target DPSM was 20. Is that correct?

08-Jan-16
Right on the money. Outside of Zones 11 & 12 the other 8 DMZ's are pretty much right about there.

27-Jan-16

NEV's MOBILE embedded Photo
NEV's MOBILE embedded Photo

2016 update. Still have some deer in redding. Not far from white birch area. 9 on camera between 2 properties. They messed up a perfect blanket of snow

27-Jan-16
Haha! Go get them! Only a couple days left! Glen says there's 12 so keep an eye out for the other 3!!

• Sitka Gear