Somersbow 04-Jan-16
erict 04-Jan-16
tonyotony 04-Jan-16
Al Dente Laptop 05-Jan-16
tonyotony 05-Jan-16
hunterdad 06-Jan-16
tonyotony 06-Jan-16
03-Jan-16
Any thoughts on what DEC may do regarding "phase 3", if they decide that insufficient doe were taken in those units designated "doe only" during the 2015 early bow and late muzzleloader seasons?

03-Jan-16
Sure looks like it. NYS DEC is being pressured big time buy lobbying from crossbow groups as well a sport mans organizations they are clearly anti bow season. Add it to the list of reasons not to live in NY .

03-Jan-16
They said the archery antlerless only was going to be tried two seasons then they would determine if the muzzleloader was going to be used. But who knows they also said the archery antlerless only wasn't going in until 2016 .

04-Jan-16

Somersbow's Link
Looks like they are exploring every possible implement.

04-Jan-16

erict's Link
This is going to be an odd year to justify increasing antlerless take, with the initial estimates of deer take down almost 30% from what I'm hearing. Nevertheless, I am sure there are some WMUs where there is still an overabundance of antlerless deer.

What they are going to do is clearly outlined in their plan. The biggest complainers will probably be the same ones that openly stated that they will not bowhunt for antlerless deer during the first two weeks in those areas. I see the crossbow becoming legal for all of archery season as well. Big bore air rifles will be allowed in the same areas as other firearms. As with everything else, if you don't like it on your private property then don't allow it.

Their plan states:

Explore increased antlerless harvest by making Bonus DMPs valid for antlerless deer only or using Bonus DMPs in a modified earn - a - buck fashion (e.g., require hunters to take 1 antlerless deer before earning an either sex Bonus DMP). Modify the process of issuance to increase efficiency and facilitate expanded use of Bonus DMPs in areas where conventional issuance of DMPs is insufficient.

Where deer populations are above desired levels and DMP quotas may exceed applicant base, initiate a progressive and adaptive approach to increase antlerless harvest by: (Phase 1) expanding the use of Bonus DMPs; (Phase 2) making a portion of the early bowhunting season and late muzzleloading season valid only for antlerless deer; and (Phase 3) implementing a special antlerless - only season for muzzleloader hunters in these areas.

04-Jan-16
Hmm, so I wonder WHEN the "special antlerless-only season for muzzleloaders will be. They have already made the late muzzleloader season antlerless-only in some of those target WMUs.

05-Jan-16
What is also just as frightening is the Crosman Pioneer Airbow. This is an airpowered rifle that shoots an arrow. HMMMM, I wonder where they want to place it? Especially since Crosman is touting it as a way to introduce firearms hunters to archery.

05-Jan-16
Regarding the Crosman Airbow: I'm thinking that when Crosman lists specifications regarding fps and effective range, they can have it approved for either a crosbow or air rifle equivalent.

06-Jan-16
They dropped the ball big time this past year closing down buck season for the first 2 weeks. I didn't even go out. If they want more does killed, open the season earlier and make it like NJ, "earn a buck". Once you shoot a doe, you can hunt a buck.

Seems simple

06-Jan-16
Early season would be great. And I agree that "earn a buck" is also a great idea.

• Sitka Gear