Oneeye 20-Jan-16
notme 20-Jan-16
bigbuckbob 21-Jan-16
Cory Valerio 21-Jan-16
BowhunterVA33 21-Jan-16
tbyars 22-Jan-16
bigbuckbob 22-Jan-16
05-Jan-16
Our state is so out of control in every respect.

I love where I live but I need to consider getting out of here.

I guess the nearest Northeastern state would be New Hampshire -

Southern - South Carolina ?

Due to family anchored here in CT I likely may not go anywhere but it is definitely something to think about.

05-Jan-16
I want to go where the normal person is under 5 ft and I would be considered a god..

05-Jan-16
Nearest northeastern state is NH? If I didn't hate MA so much I'd be offended lol. I lived in VA for a couple years. It was a completely different world down there. Awesome deer hunting though. Notme, at 5'5" I'm with you on that one.

05-Jan-16
Just a report on the news that CT is #4 on the list of states that are losing residents behind NJ, NY and MA. Surprising many are moving to VT??? Must be skiers and not hunters.

I looked at moving to VA, just a 6-7 hour ride to visit family and friends in CT, taxes are lower (not the lowest for retirees, but a lot better than CT) and the hunting and fishing are great.

This state sucks for retirees worse than it does for non-retirees, if that's possible :(

05-Jan-16
Spike what do you mean by a different world? How so? I ask because I've hunted Bath county VA and thought it to be paradise. I would definitely consider moving to Virginia when I retire. The issue is we'll want to be close to our son who is now 19 and a freshman at Central. I've got to get him to check out VA. He's not into hunting though.

05-Jan-16
I seriously looked at other states. Livd in Colorado for years awesome place. Move back to Crapcecticut due to family illness and assistance with convalescing. Would live there in a heart beat but its awesome so no one wants to leave so willing to work for minimum wage. I looked at texas eastern part. Went there three times looking for property. Topography is Like new england but warmer. Green and hilly. Not like you Think desert and such. New hampshire is way better then connecticut and temps aren't much colder if your in southern part. Talked to realtors. Tax free state but In reality with property taxes high its cheaper then conn but not like living tax free. Forget mass and new york not much better and worse respectively. My vote is east taxes hill country. Move to tyler area. Why am i here well i have a business and children. Wife was ready to relocate but i would have a hell of commute. Dont worry i have Strategically been reducing business in conn and reduced it by half this year alone. Less jobs for conn workers. Sorry but thank the connecticut politicians and a business unfriendly state.

05-Jan-16
My choice is Louisiana, "Sportsmans Paradise". My wife and I spend a lot of time there and the older I get, the more I hate cold weather! I lived in NH for 3 years in the late 70's and as they say "Been there, done that".

05-Jan-16
The family and I have plan to move out to Northern California or Oregon within 5 years. The wife will be done with her Midwifery Degree by then and I'll be done with my Environmental Science degree in a couple years. Can't wait to get out of CT.

05-Jan-16
Jim, not so much in a bad way. Cheaper living, great for sportsmen, can buy an AK 47 and a 50 round mag with a drivers license, better weather, etc. The only thing I didn't like is that a lot of the population seems to be the same type as seen in a cops episode. I didn't care much for the dog deer hunting but it's the lifestyle down there. If I moved I'm thinking out west to Idaho. I don't blame anyone for wanting to move out of the northeast.

05-Jan-16
Spike I'm with you - though I've never hunted in VA, the hiking, biking and fly fishing are awesome. I'd bet the saltwater fishing is good to. Given the number of deer I've seen driving through VA on 95 or 81, seems the hunting would be very good. Only glitch is timber rattlers and copperheads ;)

I'm a new englander through and through, and would not want to move... but if I had to.. VA would be high on the list.

FL is great for sun basking and fishing. The fly fishing opportunities down there are nuts. And, no one does it (few any way). Visiting the mother in law always results in hitting various salt water spots and "poaching" the golf course ponds at night or the canals during the day. Amazing fishing - just amazing. The hunting looks like it would be really nasty based on the woods, er, swamps.. but if the move was only for say January to May... I'd consider FL...

05-Jan-16
Guam...its a territory...they probably deal in shells for currency ,the pig hunting might be the cats ass..then I could be a god and spread my infinite knowledge and wisdom amongst the savages for their vestal virgins....

05-Jan-16
I'm looking at Pennsylvania, primarily because the grandchildren are there. Some nice hunting areas and retirement income is not taxed. The landscape isn't too different. Downside = progressives are abundant(refugees from New Jersey and New York) and looking to take over the political scene. Also, screwy hunting regulations, like no hunting of deer during Thanksgiving week, no more than three shells in semi-automatic rifles while hunting and at state shooting ranges.

05-Jan-16
Keep the ideas coming please. I am considering the same move sooner rather than later. If I was alone I would move tomorrow in a cabin next to Agafia.

@notme: Few days ago I watched a documentary on Brasil indian tribes along Amazon river and its tributaries. You might want to look into that with an open mind, wide open eyes, and ready for a strong "reaction". Three words: wild - naked - young. I think you will 100% qualify for the local GOD position. You will be overwhelmed by demand. In that case please invite us over for a helping visit. Good luck.

05-Jan-16
Will, you reminded me of the fishing. Monster catfish in the James River. 20lbs is a little guy! I was just looking at a thread on the Big game forum with a guy from Hawaii. Damn what phenominal hunting they have. I may have to retire there.

05-Jan-16
No doubt dude,if I ever start my kingdom along the amazon river basin you guys are more than welcome to come down and sample the culture...lol

05-Jan-16
The reality is that we have no place to run and hide anymore. Just a slight delay is the cruel result of acting on desperation no matter where one goes in the world today.

We have to face the facts and either submit our will or stand our ground. Many will be swept in the undertow of this coming change just as it happened in the past, over and over, every time humans reached a tipping point.

As hunters I hope you know right from wrong as taught by nature. Pass on the wisdom, experience, and above all the hope in a better tomorrow to the next generation. It will carry thru like a shining beacon no matter how much darkness surrounds humanity.

Maybe, as a result of compounding the actions of generations, one day humanity will make the leap forward into the light and silently will remember the darkness of our past. We are not that close, but we are not that far either. However the direction is good and that counts the most. The history has shown that it is not a leader who will save humanity, but each one of us individually thru our personal choice and actions.

Just maybe. It does not take much to fuel hope.

05-Jan-16
If I were to leave tomorrow, I'd go straight back home to CO, most likely, but any front range state would be fine with me. Just got to find a town that the Missus would say yes to... and figure out how to make a living!

05-Jan-16
Montana is my dream state but real hard to make a living there. I heard the job market is opening up in the Dakotas. One of my daughters lives in NYC and the other in Hawaii so I could either hunt gang bangers in NY or don a loin cloth and spear and hunt pigs in the south Pacific. LOL. I have friends begging me to move south but not sure I can deal with that heat. Either way I want "out" of this "sportsman/gun" unfriendly state. Nothing really keeping me here at this point and I think I'm a fool for staying here much longer.

06-Jan-16
I'm torn too... hate the politics & handouts to deadbeats here, taxes, outdoorsman unfriendly, etc....

Sick parent and 2 nephews keep me here.... I regret passing up a transfer to Southern Maine a few years back, but the guy I recommended for the position is doing great.

I love New England, but am beginning to hate the cold.

As stated in a post above.. no matter where we relocate to, it will be a matter of time before these toxic politics and low info voters take over and change things...

06-Jan-16
Pleas remember that it took hundreds and sometimes thousands of years for humanity to achieve a small progress.

Today, under the spell of "I need this done yesterday" and mind boggling rapid technological push, we forget that nature's clock is different. It is futile for humans to even think that we can ever alter its mechanism in our favor. Disturbingly we are being forced out of the nature's nurturing womb into this strange world of nothingness where we finally play GOD.

Yes, today a computer can come up with solutions to countless problems in a very short time. Implementing these solutions usually tends to fail as nature will always have the last say. Take for example all the drugs invented to combat viruses and bacteria. We are talking about simple living organisms yet so capable of finding viable workaround solutions to any human "intelligence" created obstacles. It is mind boggling that such a simple organism understands how to change in order to survive.

The human DNA sequence is now mapped. Yet we struggle to understand its intricate functionality regardless of the clear picture we have obtained.

Look at all the cities once humanity build with pride. Today we have to dig their remains from underneath all the healing layers of dirt nature covered them with.

Humanity is increasingly faster isolating itself from the natural environment we came from. I do not know if this is a pre-requisite for a big positive change or just a natural long term solution for eliminating the destructive threat humanity has become.

Humans tend to learn faster by making mistakes. Most time the price for the lesson is minimal and we move on having accumulated more knowledge. Sometimes the price is too high and by the time the lesson is over we are out of the game. Overall we are making progress. That is a good thing.

In conclusion, please be seated and try to enjoy the short ride you have been granted. Most above all have hope.

06-Jan-16
I would like to cross the border into Canada and disappear into northern saskatchewan.

06-Jan-16
my dad left massacusetts, 1st he went to florida...hated the summer and crappy hunting. 2 years ago he moved to southern Missouri, not too far from Arkansas, he got a 2500sqf house & 15 acres for about 1/4 of what it would cost you in newengland & his taxes are $500 per year! deer season is long, he is surrounded by thousands of acres of huntable national forrest with lots of deer, some good ones, still has the seasons but much milder winter than newengland. And lastly when he 1st moved there he was blown away/shocked by how nice people are compared to mass/ct lol!

06-Jan-16
in 3 years my youngest son will be a senior in high school. At that time I will put a stick in the yard and begin my quest to find a new residence. I am a New Englander all the way, but have become disgusted with the political landsscape. I considered NH, but if you look at the voting records, something like 6 of the last 8 elections went democrat. The idiots who ruined Mass are migrating to greener pastures in southern NH and looking to change the landscape. Its only an election or two away that NH will fall into Liberal hands.

My next thoughts are the Carolinas. weather is nice year round, gets into the 40s during hunting season. My folks retired to Charleston SC and my Step father reports that although the deer are smaller, the limit is ONE PER DAY. Im thinking North Carolina, western parts. At least I can be comforted knowing that someone with balls is representing my thoughts in DC (Trey Gowdy)

06-Jan-16
Funny how a major consideration for all of us is the hunting climate.

Now I am across the street from a nature preserve that I have permission to hunt. Huge potential bucks too - will be hard to leave but things are just getting too crazy.

Politically the people that live in the big cities have the large vote numbers to dominate political influence and they essentially vote to take money away from the rest of us to be given to them. And there is virtually nothing to stop or even reduce the parasitic environment.

06-Jan-16

airrow's Link
Florida - I just purchased a home in Placida, SW Florida......15` alligators, wild pig hunting, deer and cougars; with some of the best tarpon and snook fishing around. Suppressors are now legal to hunt with and I can pretty much walk into any gun store and buy what I want. Living free for 4 months a year.

06-Jan-16
@airrow - included in the price are free mosquito clouds, violent hurricane winds, twitchy tornadoes, great possibility of a sinkhole, 10 year guaranteed flooding plan leading to an underwater residence with shallow gulf views.

@passthrough - "I would like to cross the border into Canada and disappear into Northern Saskatchewan" - Too late for that now. You should have done it before getting married and raising children. Only if you knew what the future be like.

How about a mobile home. If the place starts to stink, pack up and leave. You can change your state residency as the season requires. Imagine fishing in Canada, hunting in Kentucky, sun soaking in the South, skinny dipping in a hot spring somewhere in Utah. Children will have a hard time tracking you down, thus reducing the odds of them moving back in. One can easily run a business on the go if Internet connectivity exists. Heck, you can even open a begging blog and ask people to donate in exchange for your informed view on local conditions. Free food awaits you and soup kitchens all over US can now provide a balanced meal. What a life, what a life. Seating is limited so please apply in a timely fashion to increase your chances of living "La Vida Locca".

At least we can have a little fun before the nursing home phase.

06-Jan-16
@jrdeerslayer: could you provide town name please

06-Jan-16
The top 5 rated states for retirement: #1 Wyoming #2 Colorado #3 Utah #4 Idaho #5 Va

Ranking was based upon cost of living, medical care, crime rate, taxes, etc.

06-Jan-16
six... my dad lives in willow springs,the landscape is similar to newengland, with a lot of ag and cattle operations, I went and hunted and was totally surprised that no one was hunting the thousands of acres of national forest....also.....everything is cheaper...taxes,food fuel....etc. my dad says its cheaper than florida now.

06-Jan-16
When I win poweball tonight you can all come hunt my land in Montana.

06-Jan-16
There are lots of places way better than here. I visited Boise Idaho on business many years ago. Really cool town, plus Idaho has great upland bird hunting and big game. That would be high on my list.

06-Jan-16
If Dr Williams leaves CT I'll stay here :)

20-Jan-16

Richm444's Link
Well GE had enough

20-Jan-16

Richm444's Link
I am not a Joe Scarborough fan but he nailed this one

20-Jan-16
Sikorsky was going to leave 2yrs ago,ct gave them a 5 yr tax deal to stay..lockhed baught Sikorsky,they don't have to honor the states deal..right now Sikorsky has the biggest machine shop in the north east. If they leave that'll be the final nail in ffld cnty..

20-Jan-16
I am impressed on the State of Kentucky, been hunting there for 3 Years. People are so nice and friendly. No Lib's just good ole Coal and Tobacco guys.

Land is very very cheap, the hunting is fantastic - only problem is only one Buck per Year. Maybe thats why its so good??

The weather is like South Carolina they have the 4 seasons but any snow will melt real quickly.

20-Jan-16
As i posted earlier conn is business unfriendly. I started my business in conn but it has gotten so bad i have shifted over 50% of my business to mass. Its sad that even mass beats out conn for business but thats just the numbers. My personal conn favorite is the unemployment tax penalty every business in conn gets when the business is assessed a penalty for every employee they hire. Go for connecticut !!

20-Jan-16
I like the business entity tax for $250.....I haven't had my company for 5 yrs but still get a bill every yr..I wont pay it !!!!

21-Jan-16
http://www.nationalreview.com/article/419435/ge-considering-leaving-connecticut-over-democrats-tax-hikes-mark-antonio-wright

For you guys that have your own business in CT I feel for you!! CT is in the top 10 WORST states to make a living and was criticized on the show "National Review" link above, so we're getting national criticism for the way Malloy is running this state into ground!!

21-Jan-16
We have a huge problem right now with the cost of Renting/Housing. Due to the recession we had a huge increase in low-income people. Now you have a larger group of people looking for low-income housing. Then you add in the cuts made to the federal housing assistance program. What happens when you combine a shortage of rental units with lower incomes and less federal support? You get the worst rental affordability crisis in history which causes a lot more people finding it harder to get by. It's supply and demand. The supply is low, this increases the demand which in turn raises the cost to rent. There are a lot more people renting these days than buying houses. How can you expect to have any type of savings when you put 50% of your income into keeping a roof over your head. Of course this isn't the only factor in the high cost of living but it plays an important role which people shouldn't overlook.

21-Jan-16
Ideally somewhere in *flyover country* away from an urban center. If you can find employment. Hopefully near family and/or old friends. I'd be long gone from this place if it wasn't for the wife and in-laws.

22-Jan-16
I grew up in Virginia and lived there before marrying my wife and moving up here ten years ago. I hate CT period and everything about it. Love my wife but can't stand the liberalism. As far as Virginia, I love it. I still am part of a hunt club and drive down there around 10-15 times a year to hunt there. It's outstanding and now they have Sunday hunting which allows me several more days to hunt each year. Lots of deer. As far as fishing, it is a great state as well. Mountain trout fishing to salt on the east coast. If you ever thought about moving there, steer clear of northern Va and eastern Va. I grew up in the Shenandoah Valley and there's not a prettier place on God's Earth imho!

That said, I did talk my wife into buying a house in northern NH north of Conway and I love it up there. Lots of grouse, a few deer, and possibly moose if I draw a tag.

Tim

22-Jan-16
tbyars

VA is one of the states I was thinking of retiring to.. I have a vendor that lives outside of Richmond and he was telling me all about the hunting and fishing as well. Sounds like a great state.

• Sitka Gear