Babysaph 06-Jan-16
JayD 06-Jan-16
wvbownut 06-Jan-16
wvbownut 06-Jan-16
Little Bear 06-Jan-16
gobbler 06-Jan-16
JayD 06-Jan-16
05-Jan-16
Bought a new smoker/grill and was hoping some of you would share your favorite recipes or what you use for seasonings?

Thanks in advanced!

05-Jan-16
Too bad, you could have won one at the WV bowhunters banquet. I happen to know there will be a nice one there which will go home with someone.

Hope you make the trip down anyway, there will be lots of other great items to win.

I don't have one so no recipes to share. :-(

05-Jan-16
I am going to try to make it this year - If I recall did I see where CJ is going to be the guest speaker?

05-Jan-16
Baby back right ribs use the 3-2-1 method.

Use Famous Daves rib rub.

I prepare them the day before and leave them overnight in fridge

Alyssa remove the white membrane which is actually the pleural or lung cavity covering . I wash them and then dry then cover in yellow or brown mustard and apply a good coating to the dry rub and refrigerate overnight and they are ready to put it the next morning.

When I run the smoker I usually pack it full. The ribs are good for several months in freezer. I wrap them in foil then in a ziplock freezer bag. They warm up good in the oven

05-Jan-16
Sounds delicious!!!

06-Jan-16
Wow - should have somehow made this more controversial to get a better response I guess! LOL

So here it goes - how many of you think smokers should be limited to just one per hunter and would seasoning be considered baiting? Hope this will get me a little bit more of a response! Oh should we be allowed to use smoker on Sunday or will it distract our neighbors and prevent them from using the outdoors?

So what bait/seasoning do you think is best?

06-Jan-16

06-Jan-16
I take a 6 inch long piece backstrap cut it in two pieces (length wise) and put onions,green pepper and bacon inside the two pieces. I then put it back together and wrap the outside in bacon, spinkle with garlic powder, salt and pepper and smoke it till its done.

06-Jan-16
I had a smoker but someone stole it when they got my treestand

06-Jan-16
WVbow that sounds very good!!!!

JR - I have never seen a treestand accessorized with a smoker before but I tell ya what that is some pretty good confidence right there! ROFL plus you already had electric run to your treestand! I guess the meat cannot get any fresher than that though!

06-Jan-16
The venison is cut into bite sized pieces, then soaked in a flavorful marinade. Ingredients for the marinade include...

One-quarter cup Worcestershire sauce One-quarter cup Soy Sauce One can of beer One quarter cup of maple syrup One teaspoon black pepper One half teaspoon each of onion powder and garlic powder One quarter cup of brown sugar One half teaspoon (or to taste) of powdered cayenne pepper

Marinate the venison for at least four hours, or overnight if you like. Remove the meat from the liquid. Wrap each morsel with a half slice of bacon, securing it with a toothpick. Then smoke it till its done. I never get a chance to put it on a plate and take it to the house. We usually eat it right off the smoker.

06-Jan-16
and amazingly the rest of the six pack disappears as well.

06-Jan-16
Sounds like I will be dedicating my tickets to try and win that smoker! Yum, yum!

06-Jan-16
There are a ton of options.

I've smoked pork shoulders for pulled pork.

Beef brisket , beer can chickens , whole turkeys, which is a bit of work with brining the day before, chicken thighs and wings, sausages, deer hams, vegetables like potatoes, onions, peppers.

Low and slow is the key. A good brisket can take 12+ hours.

Lots of options with the smoke for flavor. Oak, hickory, Apple .Mesquite, You can mix them up also for some unique flavor

A lot of it is trying different things and mixes of wood, spices, etc until you find what you like. Injections into poultry helps keep it moist while smoking especially chicken and turkey breasts.

Instead of water in the lower pan for humidity I use beer. The alcohol burns out but different flavored beers help add to the taste. Another option is apple cider .

06-Jan-16
I really appreciate all the info guys! I actually got one of the WiFi Smokers/grills from Green Mountain. I am really enjoying it so far!

• Sitka Gear