sundaynwv 06-Jan-16
L.S. 06-Jan-16
JayD 06-Jan-16
Jim Casto Jr 06-Jan-16
Rutbuster 06-Jan-16
soundman 06-Jan-16
gobbler 06-Jan-16
06-Jan-16
The numbers sound great. However, might be better to put them in context. The numbers are SO great,me kill less 1.5 year old deer than any of our neighboring states. As a matter of fact, we kill some of the lowest percentages of 1.5 year old deer in the nation.

Even though nothing lower than a four point is killed in the state of Pennsylvania, coupled with a one buck limit, we are killing way less 1.5 year olds with our three buck limit and no bucks off limits unless they have antlers under three inches.

We kill more 3.5 year old deer than Ohio, even though Ohio has a one buck limit and more restrictive weapon choices.

Kentucky is only ONE PERCENT better than us at killing 3.5 year old deer.

Now couple this that we first submitted our 2009 deer info to QDMA in 2012 and one might start questioning some of this.

[URL=http://s122.photobucket.com/user/anglinscreek/media/image.png. html] [IMG]http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o268/anglinscreek/image.png[/ img][/URL]

06-Jan-16
Could be that a lot of the age data comes from controlled hunts on properties that only have a two day season every few years. I don't know first hand, but speculate that the other data collection could be off because of the level of participation. I've never seen a dnr check station outside of controlled hunts so I don't really know what goes on and who comes in, but there's a good chance that a guy with a scrubby little yearling might be less likely to come in than a guy with an older deer.

06-Jan-16

sundaynwv's embedded Photo
sundaynwv's embedded Photo

06-Jan-16
How can our DNR post anything about the age of the bucks checked in? I have not had a buck aged by a DNR officer in over 15 years. So where do they get the info. on the age of bucks checked in?

06-Jan-16
They have been at several checking stations here in Berkeley county over the past several years.

06-Jan-16
Looks like I need to plan a trip to Kansas. :^)

06-Jan-16
If this chart is correct it has more to do with the self restraint from the hunters than the 3 buck limit. The hunters have taken it upon themselves in many areas to manage their own herd on their own little piece of ground and it is actually starting to make a little difference and the DNR is claiming the results of the buck harvest as their own management doings. Just my thoughts anyway.

Kenny

06-Jan-16
I think trail cameras have changed what hunters kill. A lot of us are using them where we hunt, so we know what's out there and are more likely to pick and choose based on what we've seen on our cameras.

06-Jan-16
I do think that is a part of it.

• Sitka Gear