G1hunting's embedded Photo
is this a Wolf or yote?

13-Jan-16
Yote

13-Jan-16
Its a Yote , shoot it !!!

13-Jan-16
Tough to really gauge it on anything here, but my first impression is the other k9, a wolf.

13-Jan-16
Here is some help

Wolf 5-6 ft long nose to end of tail. Weight 50-100 Lbs Yote 3 1/2 to 4 1/2 ft long nose to end of tail. Weight 25-45 Lbs

Height at shoulder Wolf-27-36 inches Yote-20-22 inches

Snout Wolf - Blockhead Yote - Pointed

Ears Wolf- Rounded Yote- Pointed, larger in proportion to the head.

Tracks Wolf - Larger than 3 1/2" not including claws Yote - 2 3/4" in length or smaller.

I believe that the critter in the picture is a yote, long pointy snout. pointed ears, short height to the shoulder.

13-Jan-16
Hard to tell with the dark photo but the long legs and snout look like wolf to me.

But I'm probably wrong so follow Ruger's advice...

13-Jan-16
Shoot it's a coyote. !!!!

13-Jan-16
It looks like a wolf to me. It could be a better picture of a picture, seeing your head is covering the top half. Maybe a retake could verify the needed details.

13-Jan-16

13-Jan-16

Bowster's embedded Photo
Bowster's embedded Photo
Yote just like this one

13-Jan-16
now thats definitely a shooter!!!!!!

14-Jan-16

thanks for the input! the pic is in Washington co. i have a lot of yotes on camera and this one was bigger and darker just wanted to see what others who have seen wolfs on camera would think of it. sorry about the bad pic that's all i had.This one i know is a yote.

14-Jan-16
legs way too short, its a yote

24-Jan-16

Bowster's embedded Photo
Bowster's embedded Photo
Northern Wisconsin Wolf

25-Jan-16
Bowster that is a coyote.

25-Jan-16
bowster, 100% yote about 33#'s

25-Jan-16
I agree, that one is a coyote.

25-Jan-16
I still say most 'wolf' sightings/tracks are actually coyotes. Just look at the posts here!

Not saying there isn't an issue with them - just saying people always seem to mis-identify them.

25-Jan-16
Photos can fool you sometimes.

I've seen a few wolves in Bayfield County and Canada and once you see one up close and personal I think it would be very hard to mistake a yote for a wolf ever again.

Back in the days before I ever saw a wolf I would sometimes see a yote and wonder if maybe it was a wolf. Then when I saw my first wolf I said "holy crap!" and there was absolutely no doubt. I know instantly that a yote is a yote when I see a live one now...

25-Jan-16
+1 mike. There is no mistaking a wolf in person.

25-Jan-16
For those that have never been up close to a wolf in the wild before, they are a very intimidating animal.

25-Jan-16
What Mike said.

25-Jan-16
What Mike said.

25-Jan-16

Bowster's embedded Photo
Bowster's embedded Photo
I think you guys might be right;)

I did that because on 1-13 I posted an obvious picture of a Wolf and said it was a coyote but no one called me out on it except therealdeal. I assume his post was sarcasm. Everyone gets an A+ on the yote.

25-Jan-16

Bowster's embedded Photo
Bowster's embedded Photo

25-Jan-16

Bowster's embedded Photo
Bowster's embedded Photo

25-Jan-16

Bowster's embedded Photo
Bowster's embedded Photo
I think I know what is going on here. Santa trials

25-Jan-16
I'd have loved to see what that deer did when she hit the ground after seeing that flash while in mid air LOL.

"just saying people always seem to mis-identify them."

all those upnorth coyotes sure have nice fur :)

26-Jan-16

Nocturnal8's embedded Photo
Here's one I captured this year.

26-Jan-16

FIP's embedded Photo
FIP's embedded Photo
I have introduced several of these hybrid deer in my area with good success. Starting to find Wolf carcasses on the property. They eat all the bones only leave the jaw and teeth behind. My problem now is getting to and from the tree stand.

01-Feb-16
Bowster-

Either way, I think that coyote is no longer with us since that wolf seemed to be tracking it down. So the one coyote that you had to worry about is more than likely no longer around.

01-Feb-16
Fivers I don't understand why you think that. I mean yea, coyotes do fall victim to wolves on occasion. But they're extremly smart and roam just fine with a wolves.

01-Feb-16

therealdeal's embedded Photo
wolf or yote?

01-Feb-16
TRD

I say, wolf (young one though) muzzle looks a little narrow

Legs look long enough to be a wolf. ( he's sunk in the snow a bit)

I kinda judge wolf/coyote pictures exclusively on leg length. A coyotes legs will look about as long as the body is deep on a broad side view. Wolves legs are about 1.5 times the body depth. This may not always be the case but just a rule of thumb I use.

What you say?

01-Feb-16
100% yote

01-Feb-16
nocturnal: wolf.

therealdeal- coyote. -A healthy one at that!

02-Feb-16

Noc 8, Duke, and wibo, you guys better NOT go coyote hunting!!!

Braunschweiger is right on. Too tall to be a yote(plus the head is obvious)

This one was a few seconds behind it. Tracks are twice as large as yote tracks.

02-Feb-16
The real deal. Poor guy would have passed up a coyote thinking its a wolf. Lol

02-Feb-16
That's a real deal wolf, no question for me. Younger ones or female. What County?

02-Feb-16
Seriously I have killed plenty of coyotes. Maybe close to 50 in the last 4 years. I can easily assure you they are coyotes. Just because the legs appear to look longer, means absolutely nothing. All you have to do is look at the facial features. Plus the pointed ears. Sheesh guys. Even disagreeing on the clearest pictures.

02-Feb-16

ELK ELSEWHERE's embedded Photo
I know its not the best pic but what do you think this is? Hope you can blow it up a bit

02-Feb-16
What is that elk? Hard to see

02-Feb-16
Can you blow it up? Its in a trap and not happy.

02-Feb-16
Yeah I tried and it was to blurry. But that's what it looked like. Have you been trapping this year? If so, how have you done?

02-Feb-16

Not trapping this year, that was 2013

02-Feb-16

Track leading to set, note long legs.

02-Feb-16
Real nice! I love coyotes! Such a smart animal. But they can do damage.

02-Feb-16
Umm...that's not a coyote. Its a 2 yr old female wolf, note tag. That's what I think Real Deal pics are, young or female wolf. BTW 65 lbs, Im not a small guy, wolves are tall and long. I've never saw a coyote with legs much longer than the body is deep.

02-Feb-16
I don't want to make an arguement out of this. But this is a winter pic first of all. And secondly, some coyotes have longer legs. Elk, realdeal pic is so clear. You don't have to look at the body. Notice the head. It's an simple it's a coyote. And a very healthy one at that.

02-Feb-16
I guess it could be, nice to see them in person to get a good idea of how big it really is. We don't need to argue it, your entitle to be wrong :)

02-Feb-16
Elk, Noc8 is a dumbass. Its easier to see than a coyote or wolf

02-Feb-16
Lol you are quite the character realdeal!

02-Feb-16
Oh and the real deal. Coyotes are notorious for running in pairs. Send your picture in to the dnr. They would be more than happy to let you know what it is:

02-Feb-16
wolves never run in pairs? hahahaha

there isn't a coyote in the world that leaves a track as big as either in this pair. educate yourself

yeah elk nice coyote! pointed beak, long legs. funny the DNR allowed you to tag it LOL

02-Feb-16
So the one with a dark farce you say is a wolf?

02-Feb-16
Realdeal, the 2nd one was in a trap 100 yards away from this one! And saw the third within 1/4 mile

I don't know Realdeal, he did figure out that your pics are during the winter

02-Feb-16
I know that wolves too run in pairs. I was asking if you think your first picture of the dark body one is a wolf. Which is so easy to see it is not a wolf. And if the second one came in a few seconds later than. Bingo!! You have a pair of coyotes. Btw. I hope you don't mind I saved you two pics and sent them to a couple people I know could answer this. And without hesitation I got a reply, yote. I wonder how they give you your license. Maybe you should take a trapping class. They'll teach you a think or two. Unfortunately not manners. Your mother should have done that.

02-Feb-16
"may the farce be with you" hahaha what an idiot.

great choice of words! Fits!

02-Feb-16
You really are a idiot. I'll bet your wife thinks the same. Poor girl probably loving something else.

02-Feb-16
Jeez guys, not a big deal to disagree. Save it for the baiting, crossbow, food plotting, expandable, private land vs public land threads.

02-Feb-16
Elk- nice wolf. Did you get the aging back on it? If not, get in touch with the WDNR. The biologist that handles the studies is out of Antigo if my memory serves me right.

"Noc 8, Duke, and wibo, you guys better NOT go coyote hunting!!!" -Sorry, won't bite as I make a point not to argue with fools. Do some homework before you open your mouth.

03-Feb-16
A couple years ago on AT a guy sent in a pic. of a huge "yote he got in I think it was Main. I posted IT looked wrong, my guess was cross between eastern wolf/domestic. He had the DNR do a DNA (say that 3 times quick,lol ) turns out I had a lucky guess and was correct. With that said I am wondering if there has been any in depth genetic testing of the Wi. wolf population. Could be there is more cross yote or eastern with timber wolf breeding going on than we are aware of. Just a thought as to why some of these pics are showing physical characteristics of both critters.

03-Feb-16

FRD. 567's embedded Photo
FRD. 567's embedded Photo
It took a while but I looked it up. 45 lb. 4 yr.old Eastern Timber wolf/ hybrbed.

03-Feb-16
No, the WDNR does not want to admit that is going on. While in the wolf tracker class I brought that up. The wolf lady there was quick to say. That only happens in Maine. Off course saying that as they are the only ones to have done a study. So I asked how do you explain 40-50lb female yotes, and 50-60 males. They dont get that big!, she says. Oh really? Out comes my phone, and pics of just such animals. Some on scales. Pics of trapped pups within a mile of the DNR headquarters as well. DNR biologist responded. We may have to do a study on that.

Dont understand why these people have such a hard time believing dogs wont breed other dogs. Is this not how we get all these goofy desinger breeds. Many people have had accidents happen like this with neighbors dogs. They really do believe we are all ignorant!

03-Feb-16
steve Could you share some pics?

03-Feb-16
Noc8 you are correct, but actually I like it when my wife brings home other girls to share :)

03-Feb-16
In the thread I mentioned a guy posted that he got a verified eastern/hybrid in Ohio. If I remember correctly the DNR told him it happens often so they classify them as Yotes. Lets be careful what we wish for as I remember reading that the anti's wanted to use the eastern distinction as a way to not allow wolf management.

03-Feb-16
Therealdeal: I know I'm right. Been right this whole time.

03-Feb-16
no you are wrong, they are not coyotes.

03-Feb-16
Please share your pictures. And see what others have said. I even sent them to a guy who is a life long trapper and he says yote! Lol but whatever you say smart guy

03-Feb-16

Drop Tine's embedded Photo
Drop Tine's embedded Photo
I'm going with a well fured Coyote.

03-Feb-16
I'm staying out of it. I think if I saw them in person I would know... but maybe not. Obviously based on this pissing match, photos can be deceiving..

03-Feb-16
Cmon Mike wade into the piss pit what have you got to lose?:^)

I know both therealdeal and nocturnal8 they are identical twins separated at birth. One lives in the north and the other lives in the south. They are both know it all's and like to start arguments. The one that lives in the south is an exceptional knob.

Anyway the pictures in question are indeed Wolves. Killed close to 10 of them:^) Taste like Chicken.

Where is Smokey when you need him? I know he was a part of the Wolf tracking program that goes on in the Big Woods. I would think he could shed some light on these photos? Smokey? You out there? What do you think?

Deal get a pic of a yote in the same spot like bowster did and people will flip on a dime.

Have a great day every one...FIP

Fat Inbred Pigglet

03-Feb-16
Awe FIP thanks buddy! I knew I was the best at everything!

03-Feb-16

Here is a coyote and I'll say it's bigger or same size. And it wasn't even in the middle of winter. A nice coat but it could have been longer . Notice the pointed ears?

03-Feb-16

RJN's embedded Photo
RJN's embedded Photo

03-Feb-16
RJN I'd freak if I seen that thing in the woods! Lol

03-Feb-16
"here is a coyote...." OMG what a stupid retard

03-Feb-16
TRD I'm sorry for voicing my opinion. And firmly believing my answer to be true. My apologies to everyone else. I also believe I should stop giving my input. People get so mad. Just as smokey has said to me in the past.

04-Feb-16
That last one Noc by the size of it would bet it was a hybrid.

Pics may some times be decieving. But when you see them in the wild, unless pups. There is no doubt what you are looking at. Even at several hundred yards it's easy to see.

It's even easier to tell when you are booting one to the head as it is coming for you or your dog. Few days it ago it did not tell me it's intentions. Dog was between my legs and it was coming ears back mouth open. Perhaps it was coming for the dog. Since she was just barely fending 2 off as I charged in. But given what everyone is told to believe. At the mere sight of me they should have ran for the hills. Instead things got very western. Had I been slower to react. Had I not been close. Had there been more than 2. Things would surely have been different. Something I will not soon forget, and hope never have to see again. Have my doubts on that!

Headed out now, but later I will try to dig up some big yote pics.

05-Feb-16

Steve White's embedded Photo
36lb female. Big Fred in pic is about 6'2 275?

05-Feb-16

47 lb male. Those dogs are 50-55lbs!

05-Feb-16

Coywolf pup

05-Feb-16
Had a hard time digging these up due to lack of photo organization. Somewhere are on the scale pics. Did find the pic of my daughters last 50lb coon on the scale. lol

Start weighing your yotes. I bet you will be quite surprised how many are far outside what is considered normal size range. I try to keep a scale in the truck these days myself.

05-Feb-16
I've gotten 2 coyotes over the years that topped 50#, both males, one was 52# and the other was 51# 3 days after I shot it.

05-Feb-16
I wonder if those Coywolf pups ever grow up and eat one of their parents...?

05-Feb-16
"It's even easier to tell when you are booting one to the head as it is coming for you or your dog. Few days it ago it did not tell me it's intentions. Dog was between my legs and it was coming ears back mouth open. Perhaps it was coming for the dog. Since she was just barely fending 2 off as I charged in. But given what everyone is told to believe. At the mere sight of me they should have ran for the hills. Instead things got very western. Had I been slower to react. Had I not been close. Had there been more than 2. Things would surely have been different. Something I will not soon forget, and hope never have to see again. Have my doubts on that!"

So I don't understand. Did you end up having to kill the attacking wolves or were your kicks to the head enough to scare them away? If you did end up killing them how does that work do you have to call the DNR in to check em out? Inquiring minds you know, glad you're ok and hope you didn't get too banged up in this altercation. Did you at least report it to the proper authorities? I imagine getting the word out would be a good thing so others don't accidentally take their dogs into areas that are known to have wolves that attack dogs.

06-Feb-16
That could happen anywhere there are wolves at any time. They are not the cute cuddly friendly face licking things people make them out to be.

No, they did not going running for the hills. No, I highly doubt they will ever be a problem again.

Call the authorities? Unless you had to go to the hosipital for inuries from the atttack. Had to take you dog to the vet, or it was killed. Well, that would be about the same as walking into a gay bar naked. No matter what you thought. You know what will happen in the end.

At the end of 2015 based on what I had seen so far. I said im really afraid 2016 is going to be our year. Guess, so far I'm right. Hopefully that is the worst we will have. I have some serious doubts on it though. The number of wolves in this area now is just crazy. At least 6 packs plus singles and pairs that are not part of the DNR count. Something much worse is going to happen real soon. That I am very sure of!!

15-Feb-16

15-Feb-16

Bowster's embedded Photo
Bowster's embedded Photo

15-Feb-16

Bowster's embedded Photo
Bowster's embedded Photo

15-Feb-16

Bowster's embedded Photo
Bowster's embedded Photo

15-Feb-16

Bowster's embedded Photo
Bowster's embedded Photo

15-Feb-16

Bowster's embedded Photo
Bowster's embedded Photo

15-Feb-16
Therealdeals pictures are wolves 100% no question whatsoever.

18-Feb-16
That one on 2 12 on the left is one big sob

19-Feb-16
The one on 2/9 with the glowing eyes looks like a coyote to me. Look how pointed it's ears are and how small the space is between them.

I agree the one on the left on 2/12 looks like a big wolf!

19-Feb-16
So far we have taken out 3 yotes on our property. Had a pack of 5 on trail cam video running down the foodplot.

One was a 35+ pound male that had huge feet on it. The other two were normal 25lb male/female.

When you see them live out hunting you can tell the difference between the two very easy, at least for me any how.

Those eyes on a wolf is something I never get used to.

19-Feb-16
Yes Mike that is a coyote.

21-Feb-16
Wolf

24-Feb-16
No, you can tell by the color that it's a wolf...

13-Mar-16
Not much for deer but plenty of preds.

13-Mar-16

Bowster's embedded Photo
Bowster's embedded Photo

13-Mar-16

Bowster's embedded Photo
Bowster's embedded Photo

13-Mar-16

Bowster's embedded Photo
Bowster's embedded Photo

13-Mar-16

Bowster's embedded Photo
Bowster's embedded Photo

13-Mar-16

bohuter's embedded Photo
bohuter's embedded Photo
coyote? pointy ears and nose

24-Apr-16

couple more "coyotes" according to a few of you dorks.

24-Apr-16

Obviously the bitch is knocked up. more targets.

24-Apr-16

Then the last picture is an actual coyote...oh, maybe its a mouse LOL

24-Apr-16
Therealidiot. Good job!!

• Sitka Gear