Public Hunting Land Near Buffalo, NY
New York
Contributors to this thread:
treewalker 14-Jan-16
KPD 15-Jan-16
treewalker 15-Jan-16
EJG 16-Jan-16
14-Jan-16
I am a graduate college student at the University at Buffalo and I live in Amherst, NY. I am looking to gain access to any public land (town or state) or private land that would allow me to small game ( squirrels and rabbits) hunt on it during the winter months after deer season.

I have contacted the DEC and they have not been very helpful at all in their suggestions.

Ideally I would like to keep driving to under 30 min of my location (14226 zip) . I have called the town clerk office at Amherst and there are many big parks and parcels of vacant land but there is no discharge of firearms in this town. Oh the irony.

To my understanding, there is hunting on Grand Island and Clarence but I am not having any luck with contacts or locations of huntable land.

Any suggestions or insight would be greatly appreciated!

15-Jan-16
Hey Treewalker -

I did my undergrad at UB back in the mid 90s and I found some pretty good spots out towards Orchard Park, which was about a half hour ride from the north campus in Amherst - I knocked on some doors and got permission fairly easily - a lot easier than down in southeastern NY where I am now.

There is (or was back then) some fairly large woodlots and farmland - most land owners were swayed when I mentioned that I'd be hunting with bow only, no gun -

Good luck -

Is Duff's still on Millersport Hwy? They had some awesome wings -

15-Jan-16
Hey thanks for the reply. I'll take a ride. Knocking on doors is what I figured would be my best bet in this area. Not too many public land options that are close by.

BTW: Duffs is still pumpin out wings by the bucket, just as tasty as you remember :)

16-Jan-16

EJG's Link
i'd check out the the state Land Interactive Mapper

http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/45478.html

you locate a few place with 30-45 minutes.

• Sitka Gear