RutNut_@work 22-Jan-16
Bloodtrail 25-Jan-16
orionsbrother 25-Jan-16
Bloodtrail 25-Jan-16
orionsbrother 26-Jan-16
Bloodtrail 27-Jan-16
JackPine Acres 28-Jan-16
21-Jan-16
So I recently got in a discussion with someone that says he uses mineral year round in a non bait banned county. I explained that I thought he was in violation as it could only be during open season/within 50 yards of an inhabited dwelling. He assured me he had checked it out. He even called the DNR and asked the DNR chat. I was skeptical so I tried my own DNR chat on the subject. The answer was it indeed is legal. WHAT, when did this change?? Is this something that was changed recently and slipped past us? Or is the DNR giving out faulty information?

21-Jan-16
Would be news to my local warden.

The customer service number also told me we could shoot bucks in Sawyer County during the antlerless hunt.

21-Jan-16
Whats the difference between minerals and "bait" ? That makes no sense to me.

21-Jan-16
According to BT whatever the chat people say is gospel, so...

21-Jan-16
There really is a difference between minerals and bait. Minnesota allows minerals but not bait. Unfortunately many people don't know the difference, including the stores that sell food blocks knowing people will think they are mineral blocks. If minerals really are legal in WI now be sure to read the ingredients list if you want to stay legal.

21-Jan-16
I'm pretty certain nothing has changed.

21-Jan-16

smokey's Link
Read the link. Where and when minerals not legal.

21-Jan-16
legally he can't dump mineral after season closes for deer,(unless by residence) but if the mineral is already there a person doesn't have to pick it up. you can also start to put out 10 gallons of mineral for bear on april 15, just need to check into rules for covering the bait so deer can't get it , wink wink

22-Jan-16

sagittarius's Link
Page 3. http://dnr.wi.gov/files/PDF/pubs/wm/WM0456.pdf

Definitions: "Bait" means any material placed or used to attract wild animals, including liquid scent, salt, and mineral blocks.

"Feed" means any material that may attract or be consumed by wild animals that is placed for any non-hunting purposes including recreational and supplemental feeding, but does not include plain drinking water.

22-Jan-16
The chat people are insisting that granulated mineral is legal.

22-Jan-16
I wonder if those people that are calling the chat number are calling the wrong state. Or maybe the law changed but is not reflected in the current hunting regulations yet.

22-Jan-16

Jeff in MN's Link
Or they are getting the answer relative to bear baiting which does not prohibit minerals. Allowed April 15 through end of bear season. (attached link)

22-Jan-16
To many laws = confusion. That is the WI way for now.

22-Jan-16
Jeff, I also asked the question in a dnr chat session. I asked specifically about deer in non bait banned counties. I have said before that I don't think the chat people are that knowledgeable of the game laws. BT jumped all over me and said what the chat people say is law. I know outside of during open season or within 50 yards of an inhabited dwelling that mineral was not legal. But I also know that many people used it anyway, and the DNR seemed to not write most up for it. I'm wondering if this part of the law wasn't covertly changed.

22-Jan-16
Rutnut - Check out my new thread on this subject - it will clarify just what I said to you and what I am saying about the subject-

22-Jan-16
BT, when you and I had the chat discussion a year or more ago. You were quite adamant that what the DNR chat employees tell us is the law of the land. I question that as it is their interpretation.

25-Jan-16
Rut - If your not going to believe the WDNR employees...who are you going to believe? If you have a question - get an answer....have them send you a email copy of the chat - print it, put it in your pocket and all is good!

You have it now in black and white - hard to argue with that!

If a WDNR employee tells you that what ever your asking is legal or they tell you what is legal.... and you follow that information to the letter - how could it be a problem?

25-Jan-16
The IRS can give you incorrect direction and you're still on the hook.

I'd be inclined to double check with a warden for clarification.

25-Jan-16
And the warden will give you a photo copy of what he/she told you?

I don't think so!

My point here is ask a question. Get an answer.Then get a copy of your chat (black/white) and then if you want to have a verbal discussion with your field warden - knock your socks off - but verbal chit chats provides no evidence of what you were told.

"I didn't say that" sound familiar to anyone?

Wow!

26-Jan-16
BT - I agree fully with retaining a copy of a chat with the WDNR. I'm just saying that if the info you get is seemingly not matching up with what you're reading in the regs, that you check with the warden.

I would hope that if you specifically query a warden, saying that this is the information you received from the chat line, is that correct? And he then confirms it with you...then, I would hope that he wouldn't be writing you a ticket later.

Get clarification if something doesn't seem to make sense. That's all that I'm saying.

27-Jan-16
Okee Dokee! I'm liking that....

28-Jan-16
NAZ must be on vacation, he ususally jumps into these types of threads.

• Sitka Gear