Westksbowhunter 25-Mar-16
keepemsharp 25-Mar-16
Cuda360 25-Mar-16
Westksbowhunter 25-Mar-16
Trebarker 28-Mar-16
22-Jan-16
Latest KDWP update:

2015 Bills

SB46 -- This bill would require domesticated deer that enter a premises alive or leave a premises alive or dead for any purpose, other than for direct movement to a licensed or registered slaughter facility in Kansas, have official identification, as prescribed by rules and regulations of the animal health commissioner. The bill passed the Senate 40-0 and passed the House 119-0 and was signed by the Governor on March 25.

SB50 -- This bill would amend K.S.A. 79-1439, which deals with property tax valuation classification of bed and breakfast properties. The proposed amendment would allow outbuildings or adjacent properties to be included as long as the total number of bedrooms does not exceed five. This bill was referred to the Senate Committee on Assessment and Taxation.

SB97 -- This bill would amend K.S.A. 32-1301 which regulates contact with dangerous animals. The amendment would allow clouded leopards and certain dangerous animals weighing 25 pounds or less full physical contact with members of the public and incidental contact with the public for animals weighing 40 pounds or less.This bill passed the Senate 23-17 and has been referred to the House Committee on Agriculture and Natural Resources.

SB112 -- This bill amends K.S.A 32-1049, relating to violations of wildlife, parks and tourism laws to clarify that county attorneys can file charges without a written citation. The bill passed the Senate 40-0, and provisions of this bill were amended into SB113. The bill now contains provisions unrelated to Kansas Wildlife, Parks and Tourism.

SB113 -- This bill amends K.S.A. 32-1001, relating to KDWPT licenses, permits, stamps, specifying that only physical licenses, permits or stamps shall be surrendered under judges' orders of forfeiture or suspension. This amendment is proposed to prepare for the advent of electronic licensing. The bill passed the Senate 39-1. Provisions of SB112 were amended into this bill and it passed the house 121-0. It is now in the Conference Committee awaiting action.

SB120 -- This bill would amend K.S.A. 32-833, relating to land purchases by KDWPT, to exempt lands purchased with Natural Resource Damage Restoration Funds from required legislative approval. The bill passed the Senate 32-7. This bill was amended to restrict the number of acres KDWPT could purchase without legislative approval from 320 to 160 and to limit the NRD lands accepted to 640 acres. The bill was referred to the House Committee on Agriculture and Natural Resources and had a hearing on March 12, 2015. It passed the House 98-27 and was signed by the Governor on April 6, 2015

SB132 -- This bill would amend K.S.A. 32-1301 to add nonhuman primates and wolves, excluding hybrids, to the list of "dangerous regulated animals." The bill was referred to the Senate Committee on Natural Resources.

SB134 -- This bill would amend statutes concerning noxious weeds and would allow the Secretary of the Department of Agriculture, with recommendations from the state advisory committee, to declare any species of weed a noxious weed. It would also allow county commissions, with approval of the Secretary, to designate noxious weeds to be controlled within the county. This bill was referred to the Senate Committee on Agriculture and had a hearing on Feb. 10, 2015.

SB169 -- This is the Senate companion bill to HB2116, which would designate the channel catfish as the official fish of the state of Kansas. The bill was referred to the Senate Committee on Natural Resources.

SB190 -- This bill would amend K.S.A. 32-1139 to allow a person to operate a sailboat of a length 20 feet or less without completing a boater education course if that person is enrolled in an instructor-led class. This bill was referred to the Senate Committee on Transportation and had a hearing on February 18, 2015. It was amended, striking a provision that would have allowed completion of a sailing class to be accepted as boater education certification. The bill passed the Senate 40-0. This bill was referred to the House Committee on Transportation and had a hearing on March 17, 2015. This bill was referred to the House Committee on Taxation and the provisions of this bill were amended into SB274.

SB268 -- This bill would amend K.S.A. 32-1012, preventing the nongame and endangered species conservation act from prohibiting stream maintenance and obstruction clearing. The bill came through an exempt committee and was referred to the Senate Committee on Natural Resources. This bill had a hearing on March 19, 2015.

SB269 -- This bill would amend K.S.A. 32-960, the nongame and endangered species conservation act, to specifically remove the eastern spotted skunk from the state's threatened species list. The bill came through an exempt committee and was referred to the Senate Committee on Natural Resources. This bill had a hearing on March 12, 2015.

SB274 -- This bill deals with the use of seat belts and establishing a seat belt safety fund. However, provisions of SB190 were amended into it. The provisions would exempt boaters born on or after Jan. 1, 1989 and under 21 years of age from Boater Education requirements, allowing them to operate a sailboat that does not have a motor and has an overall length of 16 feet, 7 inches or less while enrolled in an instructor-led class. The bill passed on Senate Final Action 33-2 on April 2, 2015, and it was received and introduced to the House.

SB278 -- This bill designates Cowley County as the official "stone bridge capital" of the state of Kansas. Cowley County is the home of 18 laid stone arch bridges built before 1910, 17 of which are still traveled by daily traffic. This bill passed the Senate during the 2015 session and passed the House 118-1 on Jan. 14, 2016. It has been enrolled and is on its way to the Governor to be signed.

HB2029 -- This is the companion bill of SB46 regarding identification of domesticated deer. The bill was referred to the House Committee on Agriculture and Natural Resources and had a hearing on Jan. 27. The bill passed the House 114-0 and was referred to the Senate Committee on Agriculture. It had a hearing on March 12, 2015.

HB2116 -- This bill would designate the channel catfish as the official fish of the state of Kansas. The department supports this bill. The bill was referred to the House Committee on Agriculture and Natural Resources.

HB2117 -- This will would require anyone born on or after January 1, 1995 to complete an approved boater safety education course before operating a motorboat or sailboat on Kansas waters. The current law only requires boater safety education of boaters younger than 21. The department supports this bill. The bill was referred to the House Committee on Agriculture and Natural Resources and had a hearing on February 17, 2015. The Conference Committee report failed on the Senate floor 11-25 and it was sent back to the Conference Committee for further action.

HB2168 -- This is the House companion bill for SB50, which would allow outbuildings or adjacent properties to be classified as a bed and breakfast for tax valuation purposes. This bill was referred to the House Committee on Taxation and had a hearing on Feb. 12, 2015 and is on House General Orders.

HB2177 -- This bill was originally submitted to allow water right owners in a designated area to establish water conservation areas. However, its contents are now all wildlife and parks-related, including provisions from KDWPT-sponsored or -supported bills SB112, SB113 and SB190. Also added to the bill are provisions of HB2341 (detailed below), which the department opposes. Because the provisions of HB2341 run so contrary to the principles of modern wildlife management and the North American Model of Wildlife Conservation, the department opposes this entire bill.

HB2341 -- This bill would amend K.S.A. 32-1047 concerning wildlife; relating to seizure of wildlife; disposal, and would require the department to return seized antlers, antler sheds and horns of illegally taken wildlife to landowners or tenants on whose property the antlers, antler sheds or horns were taken. The provisions of the amendment would be applied retroactively as they relate to antlers seized by the department after Jan. 1, 2005. This bill was referred to the House Committee on Agriculture and Natural Resources and had a hearing on February 23, 2015. The bill was referred to the House Judiciary Committee and placed on House General Orders where it passed on the House floor 82-43. The bill was then referred to the Senate Committee on Natural Resources.

HB2510 -- This bill would require the Kansas Department of Wildlife, Parks and Tourism to charge an additional “recreation water protection” fee of $10 for each vessel registration, waterfowl hunting permit and state park permit sold. The moneys would be remitted to the state treasurer to the credit of the water depletion fund to implement the state water plan. This bill was introduced and referred jointly to the House Committee on Vision 2020 and Committee on Agriculture and Natural Resources on Jan. 21, 2016.

HB2511 -- This bill would require the Kansas Department of Wildlife, Parks and Tourism to charge an additional "recreation water protection" fee of $10 for each permit and license sold by the department. The moneys would be remitted to the state treasury to the credit of the parks fee fund. In addition to operating state parks, moneys in the park fee fund would fund increasing access to waters of the state and maintenance of state fishing lakes. This bill was introduced and referred jointly to the House Committee on Vision 2020 and Committee on Agriculture and Natural Resources on Jan. 21, 2016.

House Concurrent Resolution No. 5008 -- This resolution would amend the state constitution to guarantee Kansas residents the right to hunt, fish and trap wildlife. If approved by two-thirds of the Senate and House, the proposed amendment would be voted on in a November general election. A hearing has been scheduled on HCR 5008 for Jan. 26, 2016, 9 a.m., Room 346-S.

23-Jan-16
We should oppose HB2341, just caters to one pain in the --- from Osage Co.

25-Jan-16
I'm not a big fan of either HB 2510 or HB 2511.

I agree with Dave on HB 2341. How can a landowner claim a wild animal is his. Just because it may or may not have died on his property or may have spent time on that piece of property. Unless he has a high fence and purchased that animal I don't feel that he owns it or the rack.

Just my feelings.

25-Jan-16
Everyone should contact their legislators and voice their support/opposition on the bills of this list or they may assume you are okay with all of them.

Only the legislators serving on Natural Resource committees in the House and Senate hear testimony on such bills. The rest of the politicians vote based on committee reports, and personal contact from their constituents.

If I were a politician against HB-2341, I would guarantee the legislation would be voted down by adding an amendment to the bill making same landowners liable for deer related damages to property and vehicles when they run off same lands in front of cars. If they think they own or have rights to the wildlife resources on their property, they should be held liable for their actions, pay property and income taxes on them when they run commercial hunting operations on said properties.

25-Jan-16
I believe that said buck ate some roadside growth, so therefore KDOT should share in the sale of said antlers.

25-Jan-16
hb2510, hb2511 are nothing but money grabs for when the Bank of KDOT runs out of money to steal. I'm pretty sure I saw the "Kent" buck on my property one night,I remember waking up with a big smile on my face.

27-Jan-16
Where do you go to find out who is on the Nat Res Committee?

27-Jan-16

Trebarker's Link

27-Jan-16
Thanks Randy, this 2341 is a piece of trash, these decisions should NOT be made in Topeka, I encourage everyone to contact their people about this.

19-Feb-16

sitO's Link
House resolution 5008 - Amendment guarantying the right to hunt, fish, & trap in KS goes to a vote Monday. Follow link to voice your opinion...

20-Feb-16
I was just told that there was a bill this week that would give the KBI, CO's and another group a pay raise. For some reason the CO's were removed before it went through.

20-Feb-16
All of you must just hunt public ground only

21-Feb-16
Bulldog I used to bow hunt some public but for the past 20 years I have only hunted on my land.

21-Feb-16
Yea, I'm not sure I get your point Bulldog, I hunt private land in KS but mainly public in other states.

21-Feb-16
I guess I have to agree. I don't see the point of your post Bulldog. I hunt a lot of public land but also hunt private ground. I don't see what where I hunt has to do with any of this discussion. A land owner does not own a deer, unless he has purchased that animal and has a high fence around his property to prevent that animal from leaving and others from entering said property.

21-Feb-16
The point is HB 2341

21-Feb-16
All this crap over a damned deer.

22-Feb-16
Nope, I hunt mostly private ground. Nobody owns the wildlife resources. Not hunters, landowners, nor people involved in farming/leasing etc own a deer until they legally kill the animal and place a signed tag on it.

22-Feb-16
Then how did you get permission to hunt Trebarker, it is about being legal

22-Feb-16
I ask and get written permission when not hunting or fishing on my own land.

Bulldog, Are you one of those that lack thought process and common sense enough to understand and recognize that when you buy licenses and game tags from KDWPT, that you are actually buying the right to go hunting or fishing? You are not buying ownership to the wildlife resources if that is what you are implying.

22-Feb-16
I have common sense to know buying a hunting licenses & deer tag i can hunt public ground & get permission to hunt private ground. So you do not what a B & C rack taken for your land by a poacher or tresspasser

22-Feb-16
Bulldog, that's not what it's about. My first thought is that some landowner is going to shoot a monster deer and let it lay. Call a game warden to report an illegally killed deer knowing he can get the head back and make $ off it. All heads need to go to KDWPT, PERIOD!!! And yes Bulldog I own land and have experienced the pain of the loss of an legally taken deer I was hunting. But I don't have a right to the head unless I shoot it and tag it, then I own it! Greed, all greed!!!

22-Feb-16
No I do not want poachers, game slobs, road hunters and worthless POS people to poach off my land, but that has nothing to do with this proposed bill nor it's intent.

If you want to stop poaching, paying landowners(and those pretending to be on family land they didn't own) for trophy racks taken illegally will do nothing but encourage more of it happening.

If you truly want to reduce or stop poaching, then support legislation that increases fines and penalties on convictions for being a game slob. The laws are currently too lax and lenient. There needs to be steeper fines, longer jail time. Convicted poachers should never be allowed to hunt nor fish in the state ever again.

22-Feb-16
The deer on our farm, do not belong to us.

..especially when they come directly from our farm, and into a road and get hit by a car.

Yes, we've had nice bucks poached, as well as several does. But were they shot on our place, or were the standing in the middle of the road, or where they just inside the fence and then jumped to our side of the road when they got shot at night?

One of the problems is a legislator had a relative get busted for poaching a trophy buck. It was confiscated. They want it back, of course.

Again, put 'em into dog chews.

Nature designed them to end up being gnawed on by rodents, anyway.

Seriously, they're only part of a wild animal!

22-Feb-16
I too own land and hunt it as well as other private land. I have had deer poached on it. I don't know if they were does or bucks but it does not matter. I know one instance several years ago that deer was shot shortly before my brother and I arrived for a morning deer hunt as the blood was still wet when I discovered it a couple of hours after sunrise. The deer we kill on our farm spend a large part of there time on the property owned by three different landowners South of our farm. I Reported the incident to CO. The poacher was not caught. If they had been who should have been received the rack. Me or one of the other landowners where the deer lived. My answer is none of us.

Even though that deer was killed on my property, I do not feel I had any right to it. As said by others no individual owns a wild deer in Kansas until they legally kill one and place a tag on it.

22-Feb-16
The best way to stop poaching to get out and try and catch and report violations when you see them. I have helped conservation officers and local law enforcement catch multiple poachers over the years. 3 different occasions this year alone. 2 instances of baiting on public land the last 2 years. Also helped them get a non resident hunting on a resident license this year. Supporting legislation is not the best answer at all. I have just as much fun out looking for game violators as I do hunting. I report multiple instances weekly from October through November every year. Get to know your conservation officers on a personal level and you can help nail poachers. Be careful though, I have been threatened a time or 2.

25-Feb-16
Just got a note saying the natural resoures comm will be holding a hearing on this issue next Thursday. Contact them to let your thoughts be known.

27-Feb-16
How does one get to own antlers and not the deer?

and if said lawndowner owns the antlers and those antlers crash through a windshield while attached to a deer body then is said landowner liable for the morbidity/mortality caused by the the landowners antlers??

HB2341 is rank....

27-Feb-16
Read it, if it is illegally taken

28-Feb-16
Gee Doc, guess he's smarter than you are :)

28-Feb-16
Sorry guys. I get both arguments but I would be in favor of the landowner getting the deer head. Without the landowner, there would be few deer or even a place to hunt. I feel both the state and (most)landowners share equally in the management of deer.

29-Feb-16
ANY illegally killed rack should be destroyed.

29-Feb-16
Don't get "without the landowner there would be few deer" ?

How do states with so much public ground have deer, then, and elk, and bighorn sheep, and ...?

29-Feb-16
My first question would be if you are going to allow a land owner to keep an illegally taken deer then which landowner does it belong to because there are few deer that spend all of their life on one single landowners property. So just what makes a deer belong to any one land owner. Just because the animal may have been on one piece of property doesn't mean it spends any more time there than any where else. If we are going to say the landowner owns an animal that is illegally taken then they should pay for the cost of repairing any car damaged by a deer that wanders off their property in front of a car causing damage to that vehicle. My next question for you will be if we start to say that a landowner owns a deer. What will happen the next time a hunter shoots a big deer on a piece of property and the landowner decides he wants the rack because it is big enough to sell for money? Just something to think about.

29-Feb-16
OK Bulldog lets look at this one. You own some land that a big deer spends not all but a great deal of time on. A group knows that the deer is on your land most of the time so one way or another they drive the deer off of your land. As the deer is running across a field that you don't own some one in the group shoots the deer out of the window from the road. Who then would you say owns the deer?? And don't tell me it is far fetched story because I have had it happen. Nothing good can come from this bill.

29-Feb-16
It is a wild free ranging animal, poached animals belong to no one, they are part of a criminal investigation, once the investigation is complete the antlers should be cut up or used by kdwpt law enforcement for educational puposes.

Put a high fence around your property thornton, then you can have full rights to your dead poached deer.

29-Feb-16
But most of all don't forget to pay your income taxes!!!!

29-Feb-16
Wow ks chas i cannot believe you dont know it is illegal to shoot from the road & did not call law enforcement for poacher that illegally shot a deer. I really dont care which land owner get it, a long as law enforcement charges the poacher $100.00 per inch of rack & take his hunting rights away forever

29-Feb-16
Good luck with all of that, Bulldog...and I doubt Charlie is new to calling the game wardens.

I can about promise you we've all done our share of calling.

29-Feb-16
I have had good with law enforcement, but not game wardens

01-Mar-16
Bulldog I know very well that it is illegal which was my point. You pointed out that it had to be illegally taken and it was. So if this passes a land owner gets it. So which one are you going to give it to?? "I really don't care " wont work. This isn't about if the poacher should be charged. Of course he should and in the case that brought all of this up he was. This is about ownership of Kansas wildlife. As I have said this is a can of worms that should never be opened. And you can believe I have the CO on speed dial.

01-Mar-16

01-Mar-16
I am not a law enforcement, it is like hitting a deer on state hyway or other roads & the law enforcement put a salvage tag on it & gives it away. With good neighbors the right owner will get it.

01-Mar-16
BS, poached wildlife is no where close to being comparable to a road accident. Just like the 190 class buck killed on 435 in Leawood, it was found by a guy from missouri, he was able to claim the deer, was issued the salvage tag, and no landowner whose property it had visited had any rights to the carcass.

01-Mar-16
The comparable is it was kill on public ground & given a savage tag. The state did not pay to have the car or truck repaired that hit the deer.

01-Mar-16
It is not anything like a road kill. Road kills are not illegal and as you pointed out it must be an illegal. Are you saying that the neighbors should decide who gets it? That will never fly. We all know that not all neighbor's are good neighbor's. And even good neighbors can change when large money comes into play. You are all for this change. So I would like to hear how you would resolve this and who YOU would give the deer to. I cant come up with a good answer and I cant see how any good can come from it.

01-Mar-16
So now highways are public hunting areas and road kills are comparable to poacher kills,

The state has often issued salvage tags to vehicle collisions,..because the salvage tag is for the meat! The salvage tag was never meant to be solely to claim the antlers.

The state has never issued salvage tags for deer killed by poachers that i know of. Most poachers simply cut the head and run.

Please go hunt from a hwy this fall and get back to me on how legal of a public hunting area it is.

01-Mar-16
"with good neighbors..."

That's funny stuff right there, when it comes to deer antlers.

Seriously, Chris Rock could have used that Sunday night at the Oscars. (It would have been funnier, to me, than a lot of the rant.)

Antlers have broken more good friendships, families, and "good neighbors" relationships the past 15 or so years than cattle getting through a fence and into the garden.

These days too many people think any decent set of antlers is worth $5,000 or up. Right, people will want to give that away once a game warden puts them in their hands.

..and again, who decides who has the "right hands?"

01-Mar-16
Quit reading more into it, I said kill on public ground, did not say anything about poaching, You probably never heard of poaching on public ground. KC tv show a few year a go about poacher shooting deer on 435 from a van. Sorry i still like this bill,deer racks are only worth what someone will give.

01-Mar-16
Just as I believe a gun that has been in use during a criminal offense should never be auction off to the general public, deer heads from a criminal offense should not be auction off either.

If the state does decide however to auction off antlers there could be a shadow auction where numerous sets of Antlers are auctioned off as a number. For example they have 15 racks over the 120" mark, each antler set is assigned a number but the general public would not be privy to that number. Maybe you bid on #15 thinking it may be that record rack but in reality it is just a 120" 8 point buck.

01-Mar-16
In at least one state they're cut into pieces 6-10" long and sold as dog chews.

01-Mar-16
Fyi bd, currently the state charges $1 per inch, x gross score squared, ÷ 2..a 200" buck will cost a poacher $20k,or $100 per inch as you seek, but the judge has to enforce the penalty.

I think if the public wants to buy a poached rack, they can pay the going rate. As in $20k for a 200" poached rack.

If no one buys the antlers, the state can cut em up for fertilizer or at the very least cut them from the skull plate and sell them as sheds.

02-Mar-16
This bill is stupid, please contact the Nat. Resources Committee today.

02-Mar-16
Most likely created by some "beings" in Area 51 huh Dave ;?)

02-Mar-16
Sent an e-mail to all members of the committee this morning, tonight every one came back as a no-go. Ain't computers great?

03-Mar-16
All the public I have hunted in the past several years has very low deer densities compared to even the heavily hunted private land.

25-Mar-16
There sure are a lot of massive dog chews hanging in the KDWP&T offices around the state that the tax payers paid for, only to be used for their wall decoration.

Why does the state give away 10,000 deer per year through a salvage tag for deer found dead on private property or hit on the road? Including the 51 point deer found a couple of years ago. Since deer walked across other people's property, I am guessing none of you pick up sheds. You just leave them for the rodents. Do you do the same with the deer you shoot?

The only way to privatize the wildlife is to buy your own deer and then build your high fence. Create your own hunting license, season, rules...

25-Mar-16

Westksbowhunter's embedded Photo
Westksbowhunter's embedded Photo

25-Mar-16
Speaking of trying to create your own rules. . . . .

25-Mar-16
I guess I will be a crybaby! Since I called the same KDWP&T officer for 3 years and left multiple voice mails about the poaching and road hunting on our land, and in those 3 years he called me back ZERO times, and then they want to hang those deer antlers in their office, okay I'll be a crybaby. Since they give away those 10,000 deer per year I guess I am a crybaby for wanting them to give away 1 more. You know the ones that were admitted in court to have been poached on our land. The same ones that they were not interested in enough to return a phone call while the deer was alive, but they and others will lie to the public about the poaching event and about what the bill is for, just so they can have wall decoration. How many of you know someone who has violated the law and picked up a deer skull without calling for a salvage tag, perhaps because they were afraid they would confiscate them!

When you have the state record deer, which also is the second largest in the world for the perfect class poached on your land, I will support your efforts in having them destroyed.

25-Mar-16
Every time I have ever called the wardens they have always returned my call. That is usually multiple times per year. However you can also call your local county sheriffs office and they will work with you as well. Our county deputies always respond when I call them on game violations. Maybe you have rubbed them the wrong way or maybe you have a poor warden, anyway, its a just a damn deer. If they all disappeared and we could replace them with pheasants and pheasant habitat I would be more happy. Then we wouldn't have all this greed, leasing, outfitting, and purple paint.

28-Mar-16
I took up archery deer hunting because of all of "this greed, leasing, outfitting, and purple paint." in Western Ks when I hunted pheasants out there every year. Before WiHa got started, the same thing was going on with pheasant hunting and land access, all the prime spots were being leased up by commercialized hunting.

Cuda360-waaaaaah!Your diaper needs changed.

• Sitka Gear