steve 01-Feb-16
SmoothieJonez 01-Feb-16
GF 01-Feb-16
Sas67 02-Feb-16
hogthief 03-Feb-16
Birdman 14-Mar-16
tompolaris 19-Mar-16
25-Jan-16
Going to buy a crossbow this spring, starting my due diligence, dont want to break the bank, >$1000 with a cocking aid (I know that I am going to take heat for that). All suggestions will be considered but please be specific as to pros/cons, make, model and where you bought and why.

Thanks!

25-Jan-16
That's what I need, a cocking aid.

25-Jan-16
No comment...lol

25-Jan-16
Same here get one this season my self. Leaning to excaliber. My eyes are not good anymore a scope will help never did I think I would buy one.

25-Jan-16
Ten point shoot great you should make this debate free some cry baby will cry about Xbow some people like the recurve type

25-Jan-16
I have been doing some research as well and I am favoring two Ten Points, they are the NEW Turbo GT and the Shadow UL. If you look around you can find good deals on them now that the new 2016 models are coming out. I keep looking at the Excalibur bows but the width and limb issues with the higher FPS bows keeps me ? Them . Excalibur is a quality / maintenance free bow with great warranty values. Shoulder as many as you can and do your research on them all before making a purchase. Just my 2 cents. STM.

25-Jan-16
Birdman sent you a PM.STM

25-Jan-16
Steve,are you implying some purist will climb his soapbox and spew forth the MIS giving's of said weapon ?.kinda like when the horseless carriage made its debut .

26-Jan-16
YES .lol

26-Jan-16

SixLomaz's Link
I would go for Excalibur Matrix 355 ($659.95) with Black Eagle .001 Executioner arrows. You need few easy / cheap modifications to make it quieter. If you buy an Excalibur send me a PM for details on how to quiet the crossbow. Look online at Wyvern Creations website for a good deal on a bare crossbow and accessories. Actually you will be better off calling them directly.

Pros

Easy to service, good warranty, plenty accessories and mods available, it reaches the target up to 100 yards with the right scope, small groups from 10 to 100 yards when shot from a stable platform

Cons

It can be cumbersome to carry, hard to hold on target for long time during a stare match, difficult to do a timely follow-up shot from a tree stand, noisy compared to a compound bow (shoot at calm deer up to 100 yards for max success, or stay within 20 yards - the worse range due to noise is 30 yards to 60 yards when deer have enough time to take evasive maneuvers)

26-Jan-16
I have the new turbo and love it ..Shoot 2 deer with it the second one was at 45 yards and I would have never took a shoot at that range but it was eating acorns with its head down.Went thru the deer and into a tree LOVE THE X BOW!!

26-Jan-16
This is exactly why the people who have an issue with a Crossbow have a point:

"shoot at calm deer up to 100 yards for max success"

REALLY Six?

26-Jan-16
Excalibur matrix 380 by far the best crossbow on the market that's just my opinion but have taken many deer with it just the ease of the crossbow makes it worth it the speed and accuracy make it all that much better it does have a little more noise than a cam bow but I have never had a deer jump the string

26-Jan-16
My stryker 380 has served me well

27-Jan-16
@Ace: Poor word choices on my part. I meant to say something else. The noise a crossbow makes at 100 yards is not enough to scare the deer. Thus, under certain conditions such a long shot is possible.

This is the reality of a modern weapon. A 100 yard shot with a crossbow is an extreme example of this weapon's capability due to accuracy. Personally I take good care in setting up my weapons and I practice enough to build long shot confidence. With my crossbow I can hit a 6" paper plate at 100 yards with ease. I have never killed or attempted to kill a deer with a crossbow at 100 yards because I have never encountered the ideal conditions for such a shot. Crosswind, deer movement, lack of a stable platform, obstacles, and lighting conditions played an important role in making a shot decision at longer than 30 yards distances. The human brain is a powerful tool when trained appropriately and used accordingly. I do not hunt on instinct impulses.

Last year I had a male moose at 40 yards and did not take the shot as his vitals were behind light brush. I knew my arrow will never penetrate correctly thru the brush to deliver a fatal blow to the animal. So I stood there watching in awe this magnificent animal while waiting for an opportunity that never came that day. No matter what I tried he never exposed his vitals enough for considering taking the shot. The moose stood there, 8 feet tall, for more than 10 minutes then slowly turned around and walked away. This was a solo hunt and the first moose I called in my life. The best hunting experience I ever had.

An Excalibur crossbow will deliver a fatal blow up to 100 yards when conditions are right: the hunter is proficient with the weapon, there is a stable platform to shoot from, controlled breathing is used, the deer are in a large wide open field, the deer is calm, feeding and not moving much, the wind is slow (less than 5mph). The arrow will travel 100 yards in a second or less when crossbow speed is 300 fps or more and will provide enough kinetic energy to kill a deer. It is not everyday such conditions are met but given the accuracy of a crossbow and enough practice it is possible.

These are rare shots. Awhile back I took a turkey at 80 yards over a field 120 yards wide, shooting from the ground in a standing position with the crossbow firmly set on a tripod on a very calm morning. It took me 5 minutes to setup the shot waiting for the right moment and the turkey dropped in 10 yards. Range finder and accurate crossbow used properly in excellent environment conditions did the job. On the other hand I had anxious deer jump the string at 50 yards with ease in the same field as they heard the crossbow noise before the arrow reached their position.

Of course the story changes when hunting in the forest where there is no long shot. Most times a 20 - 30 yards shot is the only option due to obstacles.

27-Jan-16
Two things I've noticed about crossbows; one is the size difference between different makes and models and the other is weight balance. Of the few that I have personally looked at/handled, the Excalibur seem to be the largest/widest. The reverse draw models seem to be more compact and the weight is balanced to the point where that model type feels way more comfortable than any other model. I have no idea how they feel or sound when shooting them because I have not taken that step yet.

01-Feb-16
I'm on the fence myself right now so this info is great for me I'm pretty sure I'm gonna buy one this year but just don't have a clue as to where to start

01-Feb-16
There great late season when it is cold, they are good for us older guys that might not be as strong or have as good eyes as you younger guys .One thing I have learned I have a 175 lb ten point it shoots over 300 fps it has a scope that has 3 dots 20 30 and 40 yards I have never shot a deer over 30 with it .I tried putting the 40 yard dot at 50 yard just to see how much it drops and the arrow hit the ground so please don't think its like shooting a gun because its not .It is a good accurate weapon in the right hands just remember that and they are great .Steve

01-Feb-16
Striker Solution 125lb draw, 15.5" power stroke, 350fps. Light weight compared to others in its class. No cocking aid, but with the 125lb draw, my 12yo nephew can cock it. Its deadly accurate. Retails for $899, you can get one new under $600 on eBay.

I do recommend whichever crossbow you go with, swap out scope with Nikon XBolt and thank me later. It's by far the best xbow scope on the market. You can get a new one in the $150 range.

01-Feb-16
I just can't bring myself to like them. They're louder and slower than a compound, so where's the up-side?

I do see that they can have a place here in the land of too darn many deer in not enough places, though - sort of like bait, I guess. I'd be OK with permitting their use in bow-only areas during firearms season, but unless there's a physical limitation for the individual hunter, I just don't care for the whole idea. But then getting away from other people was almost the whole reason I got into muzzleloading and archery seasons in the first place. So a lot of folks will say "anything that brings more people into it is a good thing".... And I'll usually disagree.

And FWIW, if I had a weapon that was good for 6" groups at 100 yards, I don't think I'd risk a shot past about 50. Even at 6 MOA, it's uncommon to find anyone who is remotely capable of shooting anywhere close to a weapon's potential. And a 3" shooter with a 6" weapon is looking at 9" groups.... Which is awful. Would anyone here even CONSIDER hunting with a rifle that would only group as tight as 6"????

Not me, thanks!

I guess if I had to have one for any reason, I'd want to test-fire as many as possible, and I would have to think long and hard about where and how I was going to use it. Up a tree? In a blind? How far would I have to lug the thing into the woods? Balance is critical for that. I'd rather carry my 9-lb. muzzleloader up the ridge after Elk than a 5-lb. compound!!

I do wonder, though.... My .22, for example, is zeroed at about 35 and 50 yards, using a standard reticle. At 35 yards the bullet is still climbing; by 50 it drops back onto line of sight. And in between, it's never very much above the X. You can put your near zero closer and get the second zero a lot farther out, but then you have to deal with hold-under in between. Anyway, I'm just curious as to whether the different dots in a crossbow scope could be used both near and far. Not just a +/- 3" point blank, but like On at 10 yards and again at 40, even though it's floating a couple feet above zero somewhere in between..... Would probably require some REALLY tall rings....

02-Feb-16
Ten point has my vote !! I to use when it's cold or my shoulder acts up !!

03-Feb-16
DON'T REPLY! DON'T REPLY! DON'T REPLY! There, I'm better now.

14-Mar-16
Didnt realize that PM's would self delete after a period of time. Hate to put this out there but could the individual who pm'd me about the Tenpoint line of xbows pm me again. Sorry for forgetting who that was.

thanks!!!

19-Mar-16
Before you buy try Mission x-bows. Very nice good size and balance accurate and great scopes sighted in by yardage. they seem to be quiet for x-bows too, but none are quiet like compounds.

• Sitka Gear