Stalker 14-Feb-16
T ZEKE 14-Feb-16
Ace of Spades 14-Feb-16
Ace of Spades 14-Feb-16
26-Jan-16

erict's Link
Go to link for full info, but basically here is what DEC is considering:

Possible Deer and Bear Hunting Regulation Changes for 2016:

Idea: Modify regulations to allow junior hunters to take black bear as well as deer with a firearm during the Youth Firearms Deer Hunt during Columbus Day Weekend.

Background Information: Currently 14 and 15 year old junior hunters participating in the Youth Firearms Deer Hunt may only take deer. Expanding the Youth Firearms Deer Hunt to include bear will provide opportunities for junior hunters and their mentors who are fortunate to encounter a bear.

Idea: Reduce harvest of antlerless deer in Wildlife Management Units (WMUs) 6F and 6J in the Western Adirondacks by making the early muzzleloader deer season valid only for antlered deer in 2016.

Background Information: Recent deer harvests in WMUs 6F and 6J have fallen well below long-term averages, and the harvest in both WMUs in 2014 was the lowest in recent times at 0.5 bucks taken per square mile. Winter weather conditions are a primary driver of deer abundance in these units, and the winters of 2013 and 2014 were especially harsh in this area. Though estimated harvests for 2015 are not yet available, preliminary reports suggest harvest likely declined again in the units. Modifying the season in these units would attempt to prevent further population decline and stimulate population growth.

Idea: Rescind the antlerless-only rule implemented in 2015 during portions of the bow and muzzleloader deer seasons in WMUs 1C, 3M, 3S, 4J, 8A, 8C, 8F, 8G, 8H, 8N, 9A, and 9F. Work with hunters to identify a preferred and more effective process to increase antlerless harvest in these areas, including a possible new antlerless-only muzzleloader season, for implementation in 2017.

Background Information: The 2015 rule change setting aside a portion of the bow and muzzleloader seasons as antlerless-only was implemented as Phase 2 of a 3-phase process to increase antlerless harvest, as outlined in Strategy 2.2.6 of DEC's Management Plan for White-tailed Deer in New York State, 2012-2016. Though final harvest estimates have not yet been calculated for 2015, review of the deer harvest reports submitted by hunters provides an early indication of harvest trends. Preliminarily, it appears that female take increased in several treatment WMUs (those with antlerless-only portions of the bow and muzzleloader seasons) and decreased in other treatment WMUs. However, considering all treatment units combined, changes in the harvest of female deer from 2014 to 2015 did not substantially differ between the treatment WMUs and nearby control WMUs (either-sex during bow and muzzleloader seasons). During the antlerless-only portion of the early bow season in 2015, reported take of female deer was essentially unchanged from 2014 in both the treatment and control units. Then, during the regular season and late bow/muzzleloader season, reported take of female deer declined from 2014 in both the treatment and control WMUs. Overall reported female take for the year declined from 2014 in both groups. From this preliminary assessment, the antlerless-only rule does not appear to have substantially improved our ability to reduce deer populations in the treatment WMUs as needed. Typically we prefer to maintain harvest regulations for a minimum of 2 years prior to assessment. However, because we do not have reason to expect a substantially different outcome in the future from preliminary results, and because the rule was unpopular with most hunters that provided input to DEC, we are considering rescinding the rule for 2016 and again allowing hunters in these areas to take deer of either-sex throughout the bow and muzzleloader seasons.

Still, an alternative strategy must be implemented to increase antlerless harvest and decrease deer populations in WMUs 1C, 3M, 3S, 4J, 8A, 8C, 8F, 8G, 8H, 8N, 9A, and 9F. The deer management plan calls for implementation of a special antlerless-only season for muzzleloader hunters as a Phase 3 strategy. Details of this Phase 3 strategy have not been ironed out, and we are considering using the next year to discuss with hunters the best way to implement Phase 3, or an alternative strategy, in 2017 to effectively reduce deer populations as necessary.

27-Jan-16
For antlerless harvest, how about: They already have January in Long Island and Tomkins county(deer management focus area). So why not add January to the overpopulated areas, or get us bowhunters started in September?(they likely won't do the latter, since they feel they've "already given us enough").

27-Jan-16
"Work with hunters to ..."

Might as well just stop reading. They'll do whatever they feel like doing.

They can't control "the herd" anymore than they can keep predict the weather accurately.

27-Jan-16
My opinion, and I know many will disagree. Kids just shoot does during youth hunt, Have a one week gun season for buck, a short break of a week and then a two week does season. no seasons past dec 15. leave the bow seasons as they were a few years back.

02-Feb-16
One buck per hunter Antlerless by DMP ONLY.....target harvest where it NEEDS to be increased.....no ML free for all and all antlerless by lottery. Fine with Bears in Youth 9 day firearms season Mon before Thanksgiving to the Sun. after......FORCES participation during a week when many have time off. Creates urgency to participate and capitalize on opportunity. ML season in Dec. either sex as is and antlerless only until 1-15 Late Archery til 1-15

02-Feb-16
I agree about a shorter gun season. Muzzle loaders in Bow only area, no way!! Guys would be shooting bucks with them during that time(bastards). I am glad they are going to lift the doe hunting only in 4J. Stupidest thing they ever did. I know it kept 75% of the guys out if the woods. Why bugger up your area when you can only shoot does. Shawn

03-Feb-16
They are asking for hunter input via email, only thru the end of this week, Feb.5,2016

03-Feb-16
sure they asked. I never heard a peep.

03-Feb-16
Blame your Federation Rep for not relaying the message

04-Feb-16
I provided comments....

We'll see what happens...

>>>>-------->

05-Feb-16
The DEC isn't changing anything. I guess they think everything is okay with the deer herd. IMP, the NY DEC is perhaps the MOST incompetent organization that I have ever witnessed.

06-Feb-16
Jay if there not the most, there in the top 3 for sure......Tom

07-Feb-16
Just a question of what if there was no DEC, just every one for themselves. It is always the DEC that takes the hit that all is not going well. Lets stop and look at who is the one,s that do most of the complaining., and most don't even put any input when asked , just that DEC is no good! Maybe the ones complaining should run the state wildlife! I wonder than who would be at fault when thing goo wrong.

10-Feb-16
The problem with DEC is they do not have a clue. Someone above said they should allow the harvest of does where there are to many. Big Problem when DEC has no clue how many deer are in an area. As Pat said basing their decisions on hunters surveys that only take into account about 3% of the deer hunters out there does no good. Does this "NO CHANGE" mean leaving everything the same as last year? Shawn

12-Feb-16
Below is part of my message to the DEC... Agree or not this is my stance in a nutshell on some of the current issues.

I have personally hunted in 9 different counties from Oswego to Cattaraugus and in between. Having grown up on a farm in Oswego county and currently involved with deer management on an large farm in Livingston county, I am aware of the inherent challenges faced by the NYS DEC in nailing down a proper deer management strategy not only for the state as a whole, but for any specific area. Deer population densities seem to fluctuate from area to area like the weather does on a daily basis in NY. All jokes aside, I know it’s no easy task, but I have a couple points I feel should see consideration. Some points being biased towards Southern Zone as I have not hunted northern zone regions and feel I cannot provide credible insight in that region.

• Statewide mandatory deer surveys by all tag holders to glean population data on a micro (township) sized basis to better help population management.

• Create more license draw opportunities for state and county park lands. Many of Monroe and Livingston Counties parks and surrounding areas are infested with deer.

• Eliminate $10 charge for lottery based DMPs. Maintain the lottery/ preference point portion for quota purposes, but do away with the extra charge. Who wants to pay more only to get turned down?

• No youth specific muzzleloader weekend during archery season (explained below).

• Southern Zone Bow Season dates Oct. 1st – Nov. 14th (No crossbows during early archery season- explained below).

• Southern Zone Regular season dates shortened to Nov. 15th – 30th .

• Extended late season opportunity for bow, muzzleloader, and crossbow from Dec. 1st – 31st .

• For instances where greater antlerless take/restriction is necessary, make it during regular season or by firearm. Logically it makes no sense to have the demographic with lowest harvest success rates (bowhunters) manage an over population issue!

To address stance on youth specific muzzleloader weekend: No specific weekend shall be granted. The way I see it, any parent or mentor worth their salt will take it upon themselves to dedicate a little of their hunting time to guiding kids. No special muzzle loader weekend is necessary and certainly not during bow season.

To address stance on crossbow usage during early bow season: I have no issue with crossbows in particular. What I do have an issue with is the allowance of them in the hands of users who have not had to take a bowhunter education course, and doing so during early bow season. In my opinion allowing crossbows during early bow season detracts from the overall experience of what makes bow season so special. The woods become inundated with people (predominantly regular season tag holders) toting crossbows, right near the timing of rut! This excessive hunter presence and pressure detracts from the novelty and reward that the bowhunting community understands and cherishes during that specific time frame. Besides, crossbows kill quarry in the same manner that normal archery tackle does, and as so should require a bowhunter education course to use! An online certificate does not cut it, in my opinion.

In closing, please push for greater hunter involvement, giving sportsmen a means to help you help us, and future generations. Please shorten our unnecessarily long regular firearms season and remove crossbows from early bow season. Lastly please focus on working with us, listening to us, acting on behalf of our input, and stop alienating us!

14-Feb-16
I support what Chronic said 100%

14-Feb-16
100% here as well!

14-Feb-16
gee... ideas and solutions that make sense and probably reflect a good portion of the feelings bowhunters have, at least the ones I know..which means none of it will come to pass, they will have some outrageous bull excuse why it wasn't done but we should be used to that by now...nice post Chronic...Tom

14-Feb-16
Well said Chronic!

14-Feb-16
Well said Chronic!

• Sitka Gear