Bloodtrail 27-Jan-16
SILVERADO 27-Jan-16
GF 27-Jan-16
steve 28-Jan-16
bigbuckbob 29-Jan-16
27-Jan-16

SILVERADO's embedded Photo
My bud shot this one mon night. All of my bucks still holding tight to headgear.

27-Jan-16

I passed on him morning.

27-Jan-16
I'm still getting pics of bucks with antlers. They usually don't drop in my area until late February. That's what the pics have shown.

Silverado, looks like the coyotes got to that deer before he found it??

27-Jan-16

Yes unfortunately they did. He shot the buck in the pm and felt that he may have hit farther back than he wanted as he found guy on the ground and watched the buck run about 150 yds before losing sight of it. When it ran, it was hunched up showing signs of a gut/stomach hit. He backed out not wanting to push it as temps were good and coyote sign was low (never seen one or got trail cam pics). He came back at first light and found his buck roughly 40 yds from where he lost sight of it. It was almost consumed by coyotes. What a loss, he's bummed and said its his mission to take out as many coyotes as he can.

27-Jan-16
That deer looks like it still has salvagable meat. Just cut way around where the dogs eat at it. My 85 lb. Husky Logan hates coyotes even more than I do and has chased them off. I used to worry about him getting outnumbered and overrun by them but he's got that "wolf blood" thing going on and won't back down. Today he tried chasing a flock of 20 turkeys and I had to call him off. He's an amazing animal. Glad to have him on my hikes. He helps me find sheds too.

27-Jan-16
Coyotes were heavy on my mind when I decided to risk the follow-up shots on my doe the other night.... Between the storm, my own schedule and the carnivores, it was now or never; I've never lost one yet and wasn't of a mind to start!

Antlers drop when testosterone levels dip below a certain level. So the Old Dudes go first - never shoot a really big doe in January, I guess... I recall reading abut a guy who shot a buck that turned out to be 5.5 or 6.5 years old and had dropped a rack that had bases as big as his wrist.

Same achievement, but nowhere near as nice of a souvenir!

Crazy thing is the Late, Late Show on the rut here... I've seen chasing by antlered bucks into February down by the Old Greenwich Civic Center... So the young studs will probably have plenty of testosterone on hand for a while yet!

27-Jan-16
Just another reminder. Keep your animals (dogs especially) up to date on their rabies shots. My dog has no problems challenging other animals. but he's a sweetheart and loves people and other dogs. I do however worry about his wolf-like demeanor sometimes. His papers say he's 90% Siberian Husky and 10% Grey wolf. He always watches my "six". That's why I love him so much. Wish I had some snow. Just a little. The sheds are easier to find before the rodents start chewing on them.

28-Jan-16
Well I sent Dave to my honey hole this morning I figured that is the least I could do for the kid after filming my hunt, He went Sunday afternoon and saw 15 1 small buck .So this morning he is there at about 6:45 I told him between 7:20 and 7:30 he would see deer at 7:30 he hears crashing 4 does being cased by a big buck then another big buck with 5 does and the 2 start fighting then in front 15 does come in there were 4 rack bucks and a 4 ptr does everywhere he tried to count but he thinks it was up near 30 deer .He is going back tonight he but this is mostly a morning spot .Steve

28-Jan-16
Wow Steve. Chasing and fighting? It's almost February. Crazy year. I'm wondering it this mild winter kicked in even a 3rd rut. We might see some very late born fawns next year.

29-Jan-16
I wouldn't keep any meat that was chewed up by a yote or other animal. I'd worry about contracting some disease. Not sure if it's possible, but I'd worry about it.

• Sitka Gear